Fleet Names and Designations

Mr March

Much in the same theme as the FAQ-like "Height of the Zentradi/Meltrandi" thread, I thought it would be helpful for us to have a thread dedicated to another confusing topic about fleet names and designations. I'm rather confused on the subject and thought it best to collect everything known into one thread that can be easily referenced and bookmarked. Discussion began in the tech thread here:

fleet name discussion in the tech thread

What follows below is our current understanding of the fleets, taken from the Macross Compendium and fan translations. Note that this is an ongoing discussion and that some assumptions might change as more information is forthcoming.

The Fleet designations are as follows:

Macross Class Emigration Fleet

Megaroad Class Emigration Fleet

Large-Scale Emigration Fleet

New Macross Class Emigration Fleet

Super-Long-Range Emigration Fleet

A given fleet can be 1, 2 or up to three of the terms. For example, the Macross Frontier Fleet is a Large-Scale Emigration Fleet (number unknown), the 25th New Macross Class Emigration Fleet and the 55th Super-Long-Range Emigration Fleet.

As an aside to the big colony fleets, there are also:

Large-Scale Research Fleets, like the 117th fleet that fell to the Vajra in Macross Frontier

Close-Range Emigration (Compendium calls these "Colonization") Fleets, which colonize within 100 light years of the Solar System

Lastly, there are the ship classes:

Macross Class, Super Dimension Fortress

Megaroad Class Super-Long Range Colonization Ship

New Macross Class which = Battle Class Stealth Space Attack Carrier + City Class Ship (such as City 7) + Einstein Research Experimental Ship, Hollywood Amusement Ship, Riviera Resort Ship, Sunnyflower Agricultural Ship, Three Star Factory Ship, West Point Class Macro-Training Base Ship (and perhaps one or more Mark Twain VII Resort Ships)

Island Cluster Class which = Battle Class Stealth Space Attack Carrier + Island Class Ships (such as Island 1) + Environment ship (such as Island 3)

It appears only 13 New Macross Class ships (Battle + City + Specialty Fleet Ships) were built in the 2030s and then production ceased sometime afterward. The Island Cluster Class ships (Battle + Islands + Environment Ships) began production in the 2040s and continue until at least the time of Macross Frontier (2059).

The Macross Galaxy Fleet is the 9th Large-Scale Emigration Fleet, the 21st New Macross Class Emigration Fleet and the 51st Super-Long-Range Emigration Fleet. We know it has a Battle Class ship, but we don't know what the colony ship is called. It has been designated as "Mainland" in dialog, but nothing else. It is unknown whether the colony ship is it's own class or a City/Island class which turned into something else due to the continued technological evolution of the Macross Galaxy civilization.

Edited by Mr March

So the Macross Frontier is a New Macross Class FLEET but not a New Macross Class SHIP? if the they distinction between island cluster (i.e. Frontier) and New macross class (i.e. Macross 7) ships then shouldn't there be a distinction made between the types of feet. (i.e. New Macross Class Fleets vs. Island cluster Class Fleets)

Also what about alphanumeric designations? are ANY of them valid or should we just regard any time they're used as mistakes?

(I'm thoroughly convinced that this poo was not planed out well.)

It makes sense to some degree:

Frontier is the 55th Super-Long-Range Emigration Fleet. Regardless of actual fleet composition. The megaroad that Misa commanded would probably be the first.

I think "New Macross Class" refers to the battle ship attached to the fleet.

So Frontier is the fleet that took on the the 25th New Macross Class ship - the Battle Frontier.

Large Scale probably has to do with the number of people involved...Macross 7 only had a city so it doesn't qualify. Frontier had multiple cities/a really big city plus all the other islands.

I think "New Macross Class" refers to the battle ship attached to the fleet.

So Frontier is the fleet that took on the the 25th New Macross Class ship - the Battle Frontier.

nope, the Battle ship by itself are "Battle Class" Ships. (see what they did there :rolleyes: ) Apparently its only a "New Macross Class" if it has a battle class carrier connected to a city section (such as Macross 7 or 5). if they use an Island section (like with frontier) then it's an Island cluster class. I can see why they would make the distinction since Island 1 is an order of magnitude larger than city 7, but wouldn't it also make sence to differentiate the fleets as well, (it would make things a bit less confusing since they wouldn't be saying that the NMC's and the ICC's are both the same and different)

now, I'm not sure the use of environment ships vs specialized ships actually makes a difference in terms of if it's an NMC or an ICC ship. the Macross 11 appears to have environment ships (and possibly some specialized ships as well) but the main ship looks much more like a city section than an island section.

Already covered. See: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=726277

and http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=713490

(I think that's the starting point of the relevant information).

And my compilied info on where the known fleets "currently" are: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/L...tions.htm#slref

nope, the Battle ship by itself are "Battle Class" Ships. (see what they did there :rolleyes: ) Apparently its only a "New Macross Class" if it has a battle class carrier connected to a city section (such as Macross 7 or 5). if they use an Island section (like with frontier) then it's an Island cluster class. I can see why they would make the distinction since Island 1 is an order of magnitude larger than city 7, but wouldn't it also make sence to differentiate the fleets as well, (it would make things a bit less confusing since they wouldn't be saying that the NMC's and the ICC's are both the same and different)

now, I'm not sure the use of environment ships vs specialized ships actually makes a difference in terms of if it's an NMC or an ICC ship. the Macross 11 appears to have environment ships (and possibly some specialized ships as well) but the main ship looks much more like a city section than an island section.

In a way, he's correct. For example, the 25th Battle class ship is also Macross 25 (and Battle 25, and probably another couple of names). But yeah, New Macross class is distinct from it.

I think the Island Cluster class is a bit more than Battle class and Island class city ship. IMHO, it's a Battle class, Island class, and numerous Environment ships attached together that compose the Island Cluster class. (Otherwise, the cluster part of the name doesn't make much sense.)

IMHO, the lack of Environment ships, or, more specifically, the lack of a solid connection between the ships in the fleet, is the prime difference between a New Macross class and an Island Cluster class.

Anyhow, there are more classes of Super Long Range Emigration ship. See here for further details: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2017.0 (I am, of course, referring to the statements regarding non-dome type ships, as well as the Island Cluster class being the 5th generation emigrant ship - yet the article only has 4... )

If NMC only refers to the combination of a Battle and City dome like Macross 7 how do we explain "25th New Macross Class Emigration Fleet" applying to Frontier?

and the Galaxy fleet is the 21st "NMCEF"

What qualifies them for that?

To me it seems that it points to this:

New Macross Class refers to when a Battle Class is attached(perhaps not physically, until we get more about Galaxy) to a colony ship - seemingly regardless of type. It could be a city or island or galaxy's mainland thing.

That's consistent in all of the fleets we've seen.

(I guess my first post isn't too clear, I wasn't referring to the Battle class being the NMC itself.)

This makes some in-universe sentimental kind of sense too - the "First" Macross was a battleship with a population of civilians protected inside of it...so a New Macross fleet is a "New" Macross - a Battle class - with a population of civilians under its protection.

Just voicing what anime52k8 said earlier. New Macross Class Emigration Fleet is different from a New Macross Class vessel.

Perhaps it has something to do with the capacity of a vessel to accomodate over a million people.

New Macross Class Emigration Fleet could be a moniker for over a million capacity fleet with a Battle class.

Two other designations given by the Frontier Op is NMCV and New Macross Aircraft Carrier.

New Macross Aircraft Carrier could refer to the Battle class ship assigned to the fleet.

NMCV could either be New Macross Carrier Vessel or New Macross Colony Vessel. I think it is the former as the Megaroads in the Op both had Super Dimension Fortress and SDF-(Number).

Now Galaxy Mainland having had earlier left right after Macross 1 in 2031 far earlier than Macross 7, which is 2038, and Macross Frontier , in 2041, could have received or built Battle Galaxy from 2040 to 41. Thus earning the 21st New Macross Class Emigration Fleet status.

That's cool. I never noticed that about the Macross fleets. But I know writers like odd numbers. They sound less artificial than even numbers.

Ironically, now that we know that authors choose odd numbers to make it sound natural, odd numbers will start sounding artificial to us (especially when they skip all the even numbered ships in between) ^_^.

All the different designations are just a symptom of different people coming into the franchise and working on it, I think. Hopefully they will unify the designations some day.

I also notice the odd numbering scheme avoids naming a Macross 2. :lol: LOL

A Macross 2 Fleet makes me imagine a Macross Cannon as the main vessel surounded by Gloria, Herakles, Daedalus II, corvettes, frigates and rescue ships. With one modified Macross class. (Yes that ridiculous weapon system.)

Also with a complement of VF-1 Kai Valkyrie, VF-X4 Siren, VF-XX Zentradian Valkyrie, VF-2SS Vakyrie IIs, VF-2JA Icarus and VA-1SS Metal Siren. Not to mention Macross II destroids in place of the old Destroids.

Edited by RedWolf

So the Macross Frontier is a New Macross Class FLEET but not a New Macross Class SHIP? if the they distinction between island cluster (i.e. Frontier) and New macross class (i.e. Macross 7) ships then shouldn't there be a distinction made between the types of feet. (i.e. New Macross Class Fleets vs. Island cluster Class Fleets)

Also what about alphanumeric designations? are ANY of them valid or should we just regard any time they're used as mistakes?

(I'm thoroughly convinced that this poo was not planed out well.)

Oh, the fleets and classes were definitely not planned out well. If they were, we wouldn't need a topic to sort out all the confusing designations. :)

I think they call both ships and fleets as "classes" just as some kind of universal catch-all term. I think the moniker "New Macross Class" is used whenever a Battle Class ship is attached to a fleet to distinguish these fleets from other fleets which may not have a Battle Class or Macross Class ship attached to them. That's the only reason I would imagine they would need a "New Macross Class Fleet" designation when they are already using other fleet numbers and titles.

I'm not sure what alphanumeric designations you mean.

Regarding the Macross 11, keep in mind that even if the Macross 11 fleet started out as a New Macross Class ship, these colonization fleets obviously can takes years or even decades to travel. In that time, the ships of the fleet can be rebuilt/refitted or they can expand and feature more sections. The Macross 11 could be an example of a New Macross Class ship that, by necessity, expanded into a Island-like fleet. In fact, the New United Nations Spacy may have taken note of the long-term needs affecting the New Macross Class ships and decided to build the Island Cluster Class ships as a response to the needs of Super-Long-Range Emigration Fleets. Perhaps.

If NMC only refers to the combination of a Battle and City dome like Macross 7 how do we explain "25th New Macross Class Emigration Fleet" applying to Frontier?

and the Galaxy fleet is the 21st "NMCEF"

What qualifies them for that?

To me it seems that it points to this:

New Macross Class refers to when a Battle Class is attached(perhaps not physically, until we get more about Galaxy) to a colony ship - seemingly regardless of type. It could be a city or island or galaxy's mainland thing.

That's consistent in all of the fleets we've seen.

(I guess my first post isn't too clear, I wasn't referring to the Battle class being the NMC itself.)

This makes some in-universe sentimental kind of sense too - the "First" Macross was a battleship with a population of civilians protected inside of it...so a New Macross fleet is a "New" Macross - a Battle class - with a population of civilians under its protection.

I think that's exactly how it works. The "New Macross Class Fleet" seems to be a designation that helps distinguish fleets with "Macross" ships (Macross Class or Battle Class) from fleets without Macross ships. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand the point of the "New Macross Class Fleet", especially when the fleets already have numbers such as "55th Super-Long-Range Emigration Fleet."

Two other designations given by the Frontier Op is NMCV and New Macross Aircraft Carrier.

New Macross Aircraft Carrier could refer to the Battle class ship assigned to the fleet.

NMCV could either be New Macross Carrier Vessel or New Macross Colony Vessel. I think it is the former as the Megaroads in the Op both had Super Dimension Fortress and SDF-(Number).

I'm not really sure how NMCV fits into the whole designation scheme. But if I had to guess, I'd say that NMCV is military nomenclature designed to summarize and quickly identify ships displayed on a tactical holographic. Whenever we see maps and tactical displays in Macross Frontier, we see the ships abbreviated with these terms.

I'm not sure what alphanumeric designations you mean.

Other ships have a combination of letters and numbers to designate each individual ship; for instance Uragas' are all CV-XXX, North Hamptons' are FFM-XXX, and the original macross is SDF-1.

It's never definitively stated if there is such a designation for Battle class carriers or NMC/Island class ships. In frontier they used NMCV-25 to designate the Macross Frontier once or twice but I've heard it said repeatedly in other threads that the use was symbolic/done for visual effect and isn't official.

Ah, I understand now. I'm not sure if any alphanumeric designations apply. Did they use any alphanumeric designations in Macross 7?

The NMCV-25 designation might just be military nomenclature used in tactical displays and not an actual official designation (in as much as the alphanumeric designations might not be included in the official ship name).

Any information on what fleet Isamu was assigned to before he went to Planet Eden ?

Was it a colonization fleet or something else ? It does look like its a pretty large fleet though.

Brings out Isamu Dyson's file.

post-9033-1242419470_thumb.jpg

Correcting the misspellings: Outer Space Science Force.

So maybe a research fleet? It would be funny if it was the 117th Research Fleet. The year Isamu saved Macross City is the same year the 117th Research Fleet makes first contact the Vajra.

There are only 13 New Macross Class vessels built distributed among seven initial Macross fleets. Here are the ones we saw on screen.

Macross 1 - 4 NMC (Appearance Macross 7)

post-9033-1242734984_thumb.jpg

Macross 5 - 3 NMC (Appearance Macross 7)

post-9033-1242735474_thumb.gif

post-9033-1242735129_thumb.jpg

Macross 7 - 1 NMC (Appearance Macross 7)

post-9033-1242735441_thumb.gifpost-9033-1242735590_thumb.gif

Macross 11 - 1 NMC (Appearance Macross Frontier)

post-9033-1242735679_thumb.jpg

Macross 13 - ? NMC (Appearance Macross VF-X2)

post-9033-1242735815_thumb.gif

post-9033-1242735974_thumb.jpg

Unknown Macross Fleet Designation (Macross 9 or Macross 3? )

post-9033-1242736190_thumb.jpg (Appearance Macross VF-X2)

post-9033-1242736240_thumb.jpg post-9033-1242736357_thumb.jpg(Appearance Macross Frontier prologue, leaving Earth with a Island cluster class in orbit)