Will the V.1 VF-1 maintain any collector's value?

Omegablue

I get toys to enjoy them so 90% of the time I open them up, play with them, pose them, transform them, put them on display and repose the display from time to time.

I did consider selling my V.1 macross valks in order to help pay for the up coming ones and current stuff but they are worth more to me than the amount that I could sell them for. I also like them a lot still. The die cast content has a special nostalgia for me. I love my V.1 Yamatos. I have VF-1J milia, VF-1D, VE-1, and VT-1 and I dont want to part with any of them, especially at such a low price.

Like I said, if ya still like the toys, might as well keep them!! B))

And Miriya said it best: "The die cast content has a special nostalgia for me. I love my V.1 Yamatos."

I really don't think the V1 will appreciate value. If you want something to appreciate value you probably in the wrong boat.

Keep the V1 if you are real collector instead of junk them at cheap price.

Sell them if you think the price is right for you to fund the coming V2 valkyries.

Off topic somewhat:

Did the Transformers G1s hold their value after the re-release of the G1 line?

Some did some didn't - Prime and megatron G1's tended to still go for the collectors price, but toys like blitzwing and some of the cars tended to go way down - like by half! - it also depended how mint they were.

Even though I don't expect any appreciation in value Ill be keeping my Ver 1s valks. Ill either pack them (which I've done with some already) or leave them in a different mode. Really while the new version is definitely an improvement the version 1 is a might bit sturdier especially in standing poses (which are of course limited lol) because of the die cast content.

Edited by bluemax151

Well - I sold "all" of my v.1s - which is to say the ONE that I had. It was VE-1, which I really treasured because I love the ELINT Seeker Valkyrie but...the v.2 is what I really want.

I have mixed feelings as to whether or not the v.1 will appreciate in value. You've got to basically look at three factors here:

a) In this depression-economy, EVERYTHING is deflating and very few things are appreciating in value. What little value there was in vintage toys and figures has also been cut away as companies reissue the retro toys that are considered vintage (look at Bandai Chunky Munkys and the TF Encore/TFC etc). So - the margin for appreciating value on vintage goods like these is fast dwindling. Add to that the fact that at one point, these vintage goods WERE IT. That is; there wasn't any other product to be had if you wanted representations of the characters. Now companies are tripping over eachother to give us better and better representations of the characters/mecha. All of this is going to push the prices of vintage items DOWN.

b) However - it is possible that the V.1 will have value for being a piece of "history" - a step towards the production of a perfect transformation VF-1 that didn't use swing bars and was also more anime accurate. In that sense, it might well have collectable value in the future.

c) If you already HAVE a large collection of v.1s then, unless you're Santa Graham, you might want to keep them - not just for the value, but simply for the fact that you already have the whole collection. Me? I had one. So it wasn't a big deal - it didn't fit with anything else and havign just one v.1 was kinda pointless. If I had all of the main characters and then some - I would probably keep them. Same with my 1/48s - I only had about 4 - so getting rid of two of them wasn't a life and death decision. The two I have left are token - one of them is Hikaru's 1J - which is nice to have in 1/48 scale just by itself and the other is a woodland color which I keep in fighter mode to show of the 1/48 as a fighter. So - just token valkyrie. Again - had I already had 20 1/48s - I likely would have kept them. I am avidly collecting the V.2 though and I likely will not get rid of them ever - even if a v.3 or whatever comes out because I am working on having a big fleet.

So - it's a tough call - very individual. I wouldn't, however, discount the possibility that the v.1 will appreciate. Remember - the falling prices don't necessarily mean that the item is a money-loser - it rather just means that there is a liquidity problem in the economy and it's got little to do with the V.1 Valkyries in particular - it's rather a macro trend that affects just about every branch of industry that mass produces something.

In any event - I wouldn't be surprised to see the v.1 be a valuable collectible in the future - that said - I don't see them being reissued any time soon. At least not judging by Yamato's "R&D Extreme" approach which seems hell bent on creating better and better valkyrie rather than doing what Bandai did which was basically dump the old VF-1 on us...

Pete

Well - I sold "all" of my v.1s - which is to say the ONE that I had. It was VE-1, which I really treasured because I love the ELINT Seeker Valkyrie but...the v.2 is what I really want.

I have mixed feelings as to whether or not the v.1 will appreciate in value. You've got to basically look at three factors here:

a) In this depression-economy, EVERYTHING is deflating and very few things are appreciating in value. What little value there was in vintage toys and figures has also been cut away as companies reissue the retro toys that are considered vintage (look at Bandai Chunky Munkys and the TF Encore/TFC etc). So - the margin for appreciating value on vintage goods like these is fast dwindling. Add to that the fact that at one point, these vintage goods WERE IT. That is; there wasn't any other product to be had if you wanted representations of the characters. Now companies are tripping over eachother to give us better and better representations of the characters/mecha. All of this is going to push the prices of vintage items DOWN.

b) However - it is possible that the V.1 will have value for being a piece of "history" - a step towards the production of a perfect transformation VF-1 that didn't use swing bars and was also more anime accurate. In that sense, it might well have collectable value in the future.

c) If you already HAVE a large collection of v.1s then, unless you're Santa Graham, you might want to keep them - not just for the value, but simply for the fact that you already have the whole collection. Me? I had one. So it wasn't a big deal - it didn't fit with anything else and havign just one v.1 was kinda pointless. If I had all of the main characters and then some - I would probably keep them. Same with my 1/48s - I only had about 4 - so getting rid of two of them wasn't a life and death decision. The two I have left are token - one of them is Hikaru's 1J - which is nice to have in 1/48 scale just by itself and the other is a woodland color which I keep in fighter mode to show of the 1/48 as a fighter. So - just token valkyrie. Again - had I already had 20 1/48s - I likely would have kept them. I am avidly collecting the V.2 though and I likely will not get rid of them ever - even if a v.3 or whatever comes out because I am working on having a big fleet.

So - it's a tough call - very individual. I wouldn't, however, discount the possibility that the v.1 will appreciate. Remember - the falling prices don't necessarily mean that the item is a money-loser - it rather just means that there is a liquidity problem in the economy and it's got little to do with the V.1 Valkyries in particular - it's rather a macro trend that affects just about every branch of industry that mass produces something.

In any event - I wouldn't be surprised to see the v.1 be a valuable collectible in the future - that said - I don't see them being reissued any time soon. At least not judging by Yamato's "R&D Extreme" approach which seems hell bent on creating better and better valkyrie rather than doing what Bandai did which was basically dump the old VF-1 on us...

Pete

Agree with you on most of your points B))

However, let me "rephrase" factor a): IN MY COUNTRY, In this depression-economy, EVERYTHING is "inflating". Last year we had 30% inflation, this year we'll surpass it. The government keeps depreciating our currency (Argentinean Peso) against the dolar. Last year U$S 1 was $3, this year U$S 1 is almost $4. So every U$S 100 I pay $ 400 on top of that 50% customs taxes <_<

We are the only economy in the world where everything is more expensive as months pass by :ph34r:

Me, I'm keeping all of my v1. VF's :lol:

hmm....interesting topic....

well the way i see it, vintage toys have values because of the generation who treasures them....

i mean all those cool chogos,super sentai shows, TFs, Starcom, Mask, Mospeada, Macross, etc....happened in the 70's & 80's and it is mostly (but not all) kids from that generation that appreciates vintage toys because of the sentimental values it holds...

Probably in another 10-20 years time, ppl attending macross conventions could very well be old farts with valks OCD.

and www.ben10world.com would be the coolest hang out place..... ^_^

"OMG, did u know the Ben 10 alien force V1 action figures are selling for 5000K on ebay?"......"whoa"..... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
hmm....interesting topic....

well the way i see it, vintage toys have values because of the generation who treasures them....

i mean all those cool chogos,super sentai shows, TFs, Starcom, Mask, Mospeada, Macross, etc....happened in the 70's & 80's and it is mostly (but not all) kids from that generation that appreciates vintage toys because of the sentimental values it holds...

Probably in another 10-20 years time, ppl attending macross conventions could very well be old farts with valks OCD.

and www.ben10world.com would be the coolest hang out place..... ^_^

"OMG, did u know the Ben 10 alien force V1 action figures are selling for 5000K on ebay?"......"whoa"..... :huh:

vintage value won't happen in V1 toy line as discussed. The vintage value increase when things are scarce and no replacement.

That's not the case for most toys today now. Toy manufacturers see the value of old toys and most toys are re-released or manufactured with today technology in another form, like Yamato valkyries, Masterpiece Transformers, voltron....

With so much choices and option, the value of 70s, 80s vintage toys dropped.

To me, V1 VF-1 is just a by products of today V2, some might dig it in future but majority won't.