Passing the torch

Graham

My 5yr old daughter's first model was a Bandai VF-11. She liked it because it was pink and white, but painted it with Tamiya acrylics in a navy blue colour! She wanted to help me put together my Finemolds Millenium Falcon, and I let her and my 7yr old daughter put together the stand. They thought that was pretty cool. Of course my 2yr old daughter wanted to get in on the act too, but that's just asking for trouble.

Now they want a Minmei doll. :lol:

If your father was an 80's kid that grew up watching Macross and playing with the 1/55, he must have had you when he was like 14 yrs old?

You're off... By a decade...

It didn't HAVE to be macross, I was just saying his collectibles in general.

Nope. Nothing.

... do i sense some bitterness??? :p

I... I... I DO NOT HAVE DADDY ISSUES! *Runs off, crying*

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

He is mixed. I am Caucasian, but my wife is Chinese.

Graham you know you are missing a thing there. You need to show the guys at Yamato that picture and tell them your son is up for being a quality control tester. That way you get the early-early bird on all the new releases, your son get the mechs he really wants and the Peeps at MW get properly QC'd Valks they all demand.

Remember nobody tests a toy like a kid does.

Edited by big F

Graham you know you are missing a thing there. You need to show the guys at Yamato that picture and tell them your son is up for being a quality control tester. That way you get the early-early bird on all the new releases, your son get the mechs he really wants and the Peeps at MW get properly QC'd Valks they all demand.

Remember nobody tests a toy like a kid does.

I need some syrup with my ROFLs!!!!

My son loves macross mecha. He has not watched macross yet because his mom will not let me show it to him yet but he will before too long. . .

med_gallery_4840_326_224100.jpg

Ultra cute little man Miriya! He looks to LOVE that red valk.

_DSC0018.jpg

"I will someday fly a jet like this....I WILLLL!!!"

He's pretty gentle with them and mostly just pretends they're flying and makes "woosh!" noises.

Just a good thing he's not making "CRASSSHHH" noises :huh:

He is mixed. I am Caucasian, but my wife is Chinese.

The perfect mix B))

As many of us have kids, I just thought I'd ask, how many of you are encouraging your kids to get into Macross? And how many of you let your kids play with your Macross toys?

My nearly 5 year old son really likes my VF toys and I have given him several of my old Bandai Macross 7 toys and Bandai Chunky 1/55 reissues.

He keeps asking to play with my Yammies and newer VF-25 DX toys, but that is a big no-no.

He was playing with the old Bandai toys tonight, so I just had to take a pic, which I thought I'd share here.

A chip off the old block. It brought a tear to my eye to see him enjoying his Valks so much.

Graham

I just found out something very cool that will change my life like in about 8 months but i'll be doing my best to give them the opportunity to learn the great values that

Macross has bestowed onto my life while growing up! I'll be giving them a chunky for starters thats for sure.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I just found out something very cool that will change my life like in about 8 months but i'll be doing my best to give them the opportunity to learn the great values that

Macross has bestowed onto my life while growing up! I'll be giving them a chunky for starters thats for sure.

Congrats ruskiiVFaussie! Hopefully you'll be blessed with a healthy little boy!

Congrats you crazy aussie ^_^

It will be a whole new world for you and your wife!!!

CONGRATS MATE!!! I am certain all will be well.

My 2 year old son likes Gundam. I bought him Gundam plushies, and he loves them. Other than that, he has a few of those Bumper Battler TF's. He actually says "Gundam" and "Bumblebee". I figure I'll try Macross when he's about 4.

My 9 year old daughter used to help me build Gundam kits, and watched RT (SDF was a little too adultish). But, now other than being obssessed with TF animated she's too cool and dad's too lame to help me with Gundam kits.

Funny story, we were in the car and I was listening to Nine Inch Nails and she said "Dad, turn this off, it's old people music..." I almost cried.

My 2 year old son likes Gundam. I bought him Gundam plushies, and he loves them. Other than that, he has a few of those Bumper Battler TF's. He actually says "Gundam" and "Bumblebee". I figure I'll try Macross when he's about 4.

Agreed

My 9 year old daughter used to help me build Gundam kits, and watched RT (SDF was a little too adultish). But, now other than being obssessed with TF animated she's too cool and dad's too lame to help me with Gundam kits.

No, YOU'RE too cool and SHE'S too lame

Funny story, we were in the car and I was listening to Nine Inch Nails and she said "Dad, turn this off, it's old people music..." I almost cried.

:WHERE THE HELL IS THE CRY SMILEY?:

Congrats to all you dads (and maybe a few moms) out there.

Personally I've always loved kids and in one way or another have been "Uncle D" for all the kids from my family, friends and neighbors. It's always a big rush for me when I find bargain clearance sales for toys, I usually stock up plenty so all the kids (especially the less fortunate ones) get something for the holidays.

Unfortunately, either by my own ignorance (as in been artificial) in the past or just way too high of a standard (as in the kindness and intelligence of a girl/woman) now... I am a loner. But don't feel pity for me; I've had long and meaningful relationships with virtually every race (and some short and non-meaning full ones too). I guess I should just prepare myself to live a lonely life until I die.

I've already made plans to have my collection donated to charity when I bite the big one (just in case some smart-ass springs up and claims to be my spawn one day). That may be a while though 'cause I'm still relatively young (knock on wood). Well, I guess that means more toys to be given away then.

Anyways, leaving a legacy to one's kids is great; but I think it's an even better goal to have one's children live their own lives and follow their own dreams. The toys will be there for them no matter what; but a life worth living is the best gift a parent can give to a child (I think).

You sound hopeless and depressed! Get your head out of your ass brah! I don't believe being married and the guaranteed sex necessarily means content and happiness either. I love the bachelor's life. I love the personal space and freedom. I love have more money at the end of the month...

Anyways, if you love kids you can always adopt a few.

He actually says "Gundam" and "Bumblebee".

How cute!

"Dad, turn this off, it's old people music..." I almost cried.

I would have :(

You sound hopeless and depressed! Get your head out of your ass brah! I don't believe being married and the guaranteed sex necessarily means content and happiness either. I love the bachelor's life. I love the personal space and freedom. I love have more money at the end of the month...

Even though you have a valid point mate. You should think about how you say certain things. I know that I have had my turn with speaking without thinking it through. Not everyone is going to agree with you...especially when you tell them to pull their heads out of their ass'. Don't get me wrong....I know what you're saying and I understand it. But, some people are not as understanding as I am.

DECULTURE!!!

Sorry I missed this earlier! My children LOVE to watch Macross with me. Do they like it? Whenever mom goes out, they BEG me to play it. Has it influenced their lives, let's see, my daughter has a 1/6 Minmay (green polka dot - cheaper version). It's prominently displayed in her room when not being played with.

My son has several 1/200 gashipons, a couple of Legios toys (Robotech), a regult, and three of the 1/72, Matchbox sized destroids (thanks again Godzilla)! He's got an assembled 1/20 Scopedog model too (but we haven't seen Votoms yet). Maybe when he's older!

My sister and wife jokingly accuse me of "contaminating" the children. Since Macross came out, my parents knew ALL about it (wether they wanted to or not) :lol:

What did I get for my 30th birthday (A LONG time ago), a bunch of Macross re-issued models! In my house, if the choice is put up between Star Wars and Macross, "the Force" doesn't stand a chance! - MT

Thanks bro, you make some good points there. If I don't find someone I can always travel and volunteer. I don't necessarily have to have my own kids to make a difference in young people lives. And yep, the extra dough at the end of the month is a definite bonus.

My 6 yr old loves Macross Frontier because of Ranka. She can't read fast enough for the subs, but she watches the episodes any chance she gets. She picked up enough of the story to know what is going on at a level that matters to a 6 yr old.

I tried getting her into the older stuff with Robotech, but it didn't stick (not enough Minmay for her, and Minmay sucks compared to Ranka/Sheryl).

I don't let her touch the valks, but the 1/60 Q Rau is fair game since it is built pretty solid. She just wishes it was Klan Klan's!

Ahh man thankyou guys :D It's early days mind you so there is a long way before the cigars and beverage is passed around! :lol:

Thanks so much for your comments Eugimon, Ignacio, Schiz, Miriya, MacrossMan, i'm stoked, you guys rule. :D

I don't care if it's a girl or boy, i hope we have one of each in the years, and of course they will be extreme macross fans! :p I'll try not to force it on em haha.

Miriya i hope not! lol twins??? 0_o as i said my wife would kill me LOL, although nice to know i'm packing nukes instead of blanks, twins would be planet busters LOL

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Had a real Basara moment yesterday. We were travelling home from C3 on the bus & my son who has never seen M7 wanted to sing a song to my wife & I, and he suddenly shouted out "listen to my song!". Sounded exactly like Basara, but in English. My wife didn't get the big grin I had on my face for the next half an hour.

I just found out something very cool that will change my life like in about 8 months

Congrats :) Just don't sell your collection!

Unfortunately, either by my own ignorance (as in been artificial) in the past or just way too high of a standard (as in the kindness and intelligence of a girl/woman) now... I am a loner. But don't feel pity for me; I've had long and meaningful relationships with virtually every race (and some short and non-meaning full ones too). I guess I should just prepare myself to live a lonely life until I die.

Life is funny. Everybody has an unexpected path. I was completely broadsided by my current relationship. I had just ended a relationship with a girl that I thought I really loved and was totally down in the dumps about it. My friends tried to cheer me up with booze, and as the years went by, the alcohol consumption went up. I always told myself I'd eventually "get out of it" and "cheer up" and "go look for a good woman." Never would have expected that in my state of total drunkeness (being hung over the next morning was usually a sign of moderation in drinking, since I would usually drink so much that I'd wake up drunk the next day and sober up around 4 or 5 in the afternoon) - suddenly a girl would come into my life and fall in love with me :)

Just wait dude. The more we try to plan these things, the more depressing it becomes. A girl that loves you will come along and the best thing about it is you don't even have to "try" - because she's love you for being as you are - with the good and the bad.

Had a real Basara moment yesterday. We were travelling home from C3 on the bus & my son who has never seen M7 wanted to sing a song to my wife & I, and he suddenly shouted out "listen to my song!". Sounded exactly like Basara, but in English. My wife didn't get the big grin I had on my face for the next half an hour.

That's sweet - and it's probably one of the best things about having a son instead of a daughter. My step-daughter probably brings her mom a lot more "womanly pride moments" than she brings me "manly pride moments" for obvious reasons :)

Still - kids are great fun :)

Pete

Your son is awesome.

Tell him the crazy dude from the internet proclaims it as truth.

That reminds me of how often I randomly scream "Ore uta no kike!" and sing Totsugeki! Love Heart.

As many of us have kids, I just thought I'd ask, how many of you are encouraging your kids to get into Macross? And how many of you let your kids play with your Macross toys?

My nearly 5 year old son really likes my VF toys and I have given him several of my old Bandai Macross 7 toys and Bandai Chunky 1/55 reissues.

He keeps asking to play with my Yammies and newer VF-25 DX toys, but that is a big no-no.

He was playing with the old Bandai toys tonight, so I just had to take a pic, which I thought I'd share here.

A chip off the old block. It brought a tear to my eye to see him enjoying his Valks so much.

Graham

Awww how cute, wish I had kids, but then again in this economy I would afford to keep collecting. Just kidding I'd figure it out. :lol: