mechas toys 1/60

valhary

Hi... always glad to see people who like to try and theme their mecha displays by scale. 1/60 is a pretty solid choice... you can get Gundam stuff (Perfect Grade kits are 1/60, and the large DX action figures are roughly 1/60, just a touch undersized). There's alot of selection in the scale, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank right now... There are also some adorably small VOTOMS products in this scale.

Edited by promethuem5

lets see, there's macross and there's some gundam... that's the bulk of it. right now they have PG and Glorious series in 1/60, and there were some big, low detail kits that 1/60 and cheap, but are out of print now.

Bandai also made some little 1/60 patlabor models and Wave made some 1/60 votoms. and alter is coming out with a 1/60 ARX-7 from full metal panic.

and that's about all I can thing of right now. (not that great a selection of 1/60 toys out there, I miss 1/48)

hi anyone knows about cool mechas (no macross) in 1/60 scale

- The old 80's Takara Votoms toys

- Wave's 1/60 Votoms kits

- Alter's ARX-7 Arbalest

- Atelier Sai's Vic Viper kit

- some diecast helicopters such as this Blackhawk

and some Gundam kits. One kit that I thought would be a good match was the Perfect Grade Skygrasper. Unfortunately, that kit is more 1/72 scale than 1/60 scale.

There isn't much in the 1/60 scale. This is one reason why I don't like this scale and wish one day Yamato would return to 1/72 or experiment with 1/100.

- The old 80's Takara Votoms toys

- Wave's 1/60 Votoms kits

- Alter's ARX-7 Arbalest

- Atelier Sai's Vic Viper kit

- some diecast helicopters such as this Blackhawk

and some Gundam kits. One kit that I thought would be a good match was the Perfect Grade Skygrasper. Unfortunately, that kit is more 1/72 scale than 1/60 scale.

There isn't much in the 1/60 scale. This is one reason why I don't like this scale and wish one day Yamato would return to 1/72 or experiment with 1/100.

How do you figure the skygrasper is 1/72? I have it and it looks perfect to me with my PG kits.

How do you figure the skygrasper is 1/72? I have it and it looks perfect to me with my PG kits.

The Skygrasper pilots are near 1/72 scale.

On the left is a 1/72 pilot from diecast aircraft maker Hobby Master. On the right is the Skygrasper pilot.

IMG_0750.jpg

Also, this pic (which is not mine) shows how small the PG Skygrasper is.

VF0A_60_SG.JPG

Judging the scale of mecha by its pilot figure is never a good idea. Even the pilots between all of Yamatos 1/60 offerings differ in size.

I am not sure what you trying to prove with the second image, but the Skygrasper is naturally a small plane. Comparing it to the VF-0A gives us a difference in size not scale.

The only way to prove if something is scaled correctly is to measure the toy/model and compare with the dimensions setup by the mecha designer.

Most of the time there will not be a 100% match, but minimal differences of a couple of cm is acceptable.

Judging the scale of mecha by its pilot figure is never a good idea. Even the pilots between all of Yamatos 1/60 offerings differ in size.

I am not sure what you trying to prove with the second image, but the Skygrasper is naturally a small plane. Comparing it to the VF-0A gives us a difference in size not scale.

The only way to prove if something is scaled correctly is to measure the toy/model and compare with the dimensions setup by the mecha designer.

I understand that correct scaling should be measured by the comparison of the toy/model to the specs setup by mecha designer. But, when the pilot figure sizes vary from model to model, it to me ruins the image of scale.

And sometimes, scaling to the official dimensions results in a difference in size between what I see in the anime versus the toy/model. (aka. "It didn't look that small in the anime").

I know this is sometimes unavoidable when it comes to scaling make-believe mecha with make-believe dimensions. But it's something I tend to be picky about. In the case of the Skygrasper, I'm likely to put it next to a 1/72 scale Valk than Yamato's 1/60 scale Valk. ^^;

Bandai's pilot figures also all seem to be a bit off-scale...

Bandai pilot figures are all consistency smaller than stated scale. 1/60 gundam pilots all look about 1/72(for the longest time I thought my PG GP-01 was 1/72) 1/100 are more like 1/110 or so etc. etc.

(all bandai kits have 10 year olds for pilots I guess.)

Not my pic. From the left, pilot figures from - PG Strike Gundam, PG Skygrasper, PG RX-78 Gundam, PG Wing Zero Custom, PG Zaku

82o82f83X83J83C83O838983X83p815B.jpg

Now granted, when it comes to make-believe mecha it's sometimes difficult to fit an in-scale figure for various reasons. As all toy makers do not scale from the pilot figure out. They always scale the mecha to the official dimensions and usually just fudge the cockpit and pilot figure size. I don't really mind it with Gundams since their cockpits are hidden from view. But with aircraft such as the Skygrasper or Valkyries, where you clearly the see the cockpit and crew, it's a bit annoying.

Quick check in my toy database shows the following:

- Bandai 1/60 Cloth Gear Patlabor series (diecast chassis Ingram & Python labors)

- Bandai 1/60 Patlabor model kit series

- Bandai 1/60 Big Scale F-91 (semi-completed kit/toy)

- Bandai 1/60 DX God Gundam, Wing Gundam

- Takatoku Toys 1/60 Orguss series

- Kotobukiya/ArtFX Front Mission 3 series (scale is approx. only)

- Bandai Aura Battler in Action series (Dunbine & Billbine, approx 1/60)

- Takara Masterpiece 03 Starscream

- Bandai SPEC Layzner (approx 1/60)

DX Gundam toys aren't true 1/60, but a few are close. Otherwise, the DX Sazabi and Nu would TOWER over any PG, and they're only the same size. Probably closer to 1/72.

Quick check in my toy database shows the following:

- Bandai SPEC Layzner (approx 1/60)

I thought the SPEC Layzner was more like 1/68 when calculated.

Layzner is specified at being 9.52m tall with the SPEC representation being about 14cm high. Or is the SPEC actually closer to 16cm?

I thought the SPEC Layzner was more like 1/68 when calculated.

Layzner is specified at being 9.52m tall with the SPEC representation being about 14cm high. Or is the SPEC actually closer to 16cm?

Hence the 'approx 1/60' note. :-)

Like the Patlabor Ingrams, Layzner's 'true' height depends on how you tilt the head. The pilot figure does look a bit smaller than the one in the DX VF-25, though...

That's a very generous approximation.

At 1/68 I would classify the SPEC closer to 1/72 scale rather than 1/60. To each their own I suppose.

It's a pity, would have considered getting this if it matched more closely.

Edited by lechuck

That's a very generous approximation.

At 1/68 I would classify the SPEC closer to 1/72 scale rather than 1/60. To each their own I suppose.

It's a pity, would have considered getting this if it matched more closely.

Relax, dude. Don't let a personal take on fictional scale mecha impugn upon your collecting sensibilities :-)

I played out great battles between my 1/72 Dougram, Soltic and Mugen Calibur against 1/67 Dunbine, 1/60 Ingrams and what have you... just have fun!

+ If I'd listened otherwise, my officially 1/15 Garlands and Motorslave would be a 'no-no' next to other 1/18 scaled mecha. AND, sometimes the boxes are wrong. Take the fan-favorite 1/55 Dorvak kanzen-henkei series... I believed what the Takatoku box claimed for two decades, until the same sized release of the Calibur by CM's Corp caused me to actually check the measurements. Turns out it's really 1/43 or so... Ha.

Edited by drifand

Sorry drifand, didn't want to come off being harsh on you. It was not my intention.

It may sound funny or stupid, but it's scaling that kind of prevents me from splashing out money on any toy/model that remotely interests me.

And yeah, I realize some of the scales plastered on boxes are not exactly accurate themselves like Takaras 1/48 Votoms offerings I think.