Type of VF-1 for Kakizaki and Hikaru...

Draykov

I just watched DYRL again recently, and I noticed that the scene where Kakizaki dies takes place just before the encounter between Milia's Q-Rau and Max's VF-1S. Were Kakizaki and Hikaru still flying A models at this point? The various pilots' upgrades seemed to go completely unmentioned. Apparently once Roy died, Max and Hikaru got promoted to squadron leaders. Does anyone have any insight, or was the transition really as vague as it seemed to me while watching the movie?

Kakzaki and Hikaru are in -1A's.

After Roy got sent to that big binge in the sky and Hikaru went missing for his tryst wtih Misa, Max assumes command of Skull Squadron. In the fight scene with Millia, Max is flying a VF-1S, desgination 001, in his DYRL paintscheme.

After Max ditches out on UN Spacy to bring "culture" to Millia, Hikaru assumes command of Skull.

"Max was assigned his own Squadron"

HAHAHAHAHA...

only one man under him,..and it was kakizaki fer crying out loud

what a way to get promoted huh? :D

:lol:

Yeah, I'm sure it was more like "what did *I* do?"

After Roy got sent to that big binge in the sky and Hikaru went missing for his tryst wtih Misa, Max assumes command of Skull Squadron. In the fight scene with Millia, Max is flying a VF-1S, desgination 001, in his DYRL paintscheme.

After Max ditches out on UN Spacy to bring "culture" to Millia, Hikaru assumes command of Skull.

That's right, Hikaru was cruisin' around with Misa on Earth for a month or so, wasn't he. Cool.

"Max was assigned his own Squadron"

HAHAHAHAHA...

only one man under him,..and it was kakizaki fer crying out loud

what a way to get promoted huh? :D

Just because they only showed the trio doesn't mean the rest of Skull wasn't out there. Of course they were. They just didn't show much of the CF's or anyone in general flying around except for the cast in most of the movie.

Wait a tic...so when Hikaru comes back from being AWOL, does Max outrank him? We know Hikaru eventually gets his own VF-1S (after Max goes AWOL to see if the carpet matches the green curtains). Why would they put Hikaru back into his own squadron as a subordinate rather than give him his own or assign him to a new one? Ah, well...

And just to clarify, is this how it worked out?

Roy Focker is Skull 001 (yellow) until he gets squished

Max Jenius is Skull 001 (blue) until he goes off for some close encounters

only then does Hikaru become Skull 001 (red) to give Boldoza some love in the form of an RO-X2A high-powered double-action beam cannon.

Edited by Draykov

A couple comments:

1) I remember reading that in the movie, it's not Skull Squadron but Skull Team. I.e., Roy has been demoted to leader of just the Three Amigos.

2) Again, in the movie it seems that Hikaru never outranks Max like he did in the series. Even if he hadn't gone missing, I'd expect Max to get the promotion since Max is a Genius and Hikaru is viewed as a bit of a screwup by Misa. When Hikaru comes back, there's really no good reason to promote him to team commander instead of leaving him with Skull under Max.

3) I don't think Kakizaki is shown to be quite as bad of a pilot in DYRL as he is the TV show. (Actually, I think--hope--he grows a bit in SDF Macross before he finally snuffs it, but he was awful at first.) So I don't think Max should have felt too bad about being responsible for him. And although he dies while goofing off in a vidscreen conversation, I don't think it's really his "fault"--Millia just came out of nowhere, and it was Kakizaki's luck that he was the one singled out.

(Conversely, someone posted pics of Max's fight with Millia which show how damn lucky he was, as Millia's hits on his Valk just straddled the cockpit. This was in a debate over the color of Max's heat shield cover.)

3) I don't think Kakizaki is shown to be quite as bad of a pilot in DYRL as he is the TV show. (Actually, I think--hope--he grows a bit in SDF Macross before he finally snuffs it, but he was awful at first.) So I don't think Max should have felt too bad about being responsible for him. And although he dies while goofing off in a vidscreen conversation, I don't think it's really his "fault"--Millia just came out of nowhere, and it was Kakizaki's luck that he was the one singled out.

(Conversely, someone posted pics of Max's fight with Millia which show how damn lucky he was, as Millia's hits on his Valk just straddled the cockpit. This was in a debate over the color of Max's heat shield cover.)

I recall the same images, you are correct.

(... Max goes AWOL to see if the carpet matches the green curtains).

Roy Focker is Skull 001 (yellow) until he gets squished

Max Jenius is Skull 001 (blue) until he goes off for some close encounters

only then does Hikaru become Skull 001 (red) to give Boldoza some love in the form of an RO-X2A high-powered double-action beam cannon.

HEH! Good ones, Draykov! :lol:

2) Again, in the movie it seems that Hikaru never outranks Max like he did in the series. Even if he hadn't gone missing, I'd expect Max to get the promotion since Max is a Genius and Hikaru is viewed as a bit of a screwup by Misa. When Hikaru comes back, there's really no good reason to promote him to team commander instead of leaving him with Skull under Max.

This is what I always believed in too. Unlike the tv series, Hikaru, Max, and Kakizaki are all pretty much equally ranked. Out of the three, I'd say Max is definitely more deserving of the role of Skull leader. Up until the final battle with Bodolza, Hikaru's just a punk.