What was the first anime that you watched?

taksraven

somehow, i managed to watch these shows at roughly the same time.

they used to have these shows strung together after school & on weekends.

in no particular order:

Voltes V

Daimos

Mekanda Robo

Getter Robo

UFO Grendaizer

Mazinger Z as Tranzor Z

Golion & Dairugger as Voltron

Bismarck as Saber Rider

Blue Noah as Thundersub

Dai Shogun as Macron 1

Macross

Macross as ********

Mospeada as ********

Southern Cross as ********

Mach 5 as Speed Racer

Astroboy

Galaxy Express

Captain Harlock

at the time, i couldn't tell the difference between these shows & GI Joe, He-Man, Transformers & Go Bots

i just knew the super robot shows were better.

you knew Optimus was cool, but the 5 ships combining to form a giant robot with tank treads at the back was much cooler.

and that spaceship turning into a giant robot & had a ton of it's own transforming planes, you knew there was no contest. :lol:

Well for me it would be Battle of the planets back in the 70's when it first aired in the U.K I was 6 it just blew me away.

Then moving on to stuff like Mysterious cites of gold and the under rated puppet fest that was Starfleet (sort of anime) then IRC Voltron only saw a few though and then Transformers and Robotech.

By that time I knew what anime was and watched anything vaguely anime like. First non dubbed thing would have been DYRL. Now its the only "TRUE" way :)

I wanna say it was Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman). Maybe a little Speed Racer. Then Tranzor Z, Robotech, and Star Blazers. And then there was Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years...I was around 10 or so when this came out..even then I could tell it was two different shows lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Harlo..._Thousand_Years

Original Astro Boy & Marine Boy (yes that's back in the 60's :o )

Wow! I finally found another person who watched Marine Boy. This is my first anime. I watched it in the 70s in Singapore. (I was born in 1970). Left a deep impression on me. (mini-subs that fire multi-warhead torpedoes, sea roaches for enemies (or was it beetles?), cool electrifying boomerang weapon for the main (male) character, and a mermaid named Marina. ^_^

Yeah, it was dubbed in funny American, but when one is a 6 year old kid, it doesn't really matter since I don't understand half the story plot. The on-screen action scenes is all that matters. :lol:

This was followed by "Captain Future" in Mandarin. (you know, the one with the space ship that can protrude out X-shape wings.

Another one that I watched about the same time in Mandarin as "Captain Future" is about a boy who fights a HUMONGOUS demon/devil with a magic yo-yo. I don't remember the title though. He manages to cut off one of the devil's horns early in the series. That's the only impression I had remaining in my memory bank about that show. pity...

Edited by blacklotus

• 2 weeks later...
Real anime? Other than TF, RT, and Voltron that were bastardized by the US?

The first real anime film I watched was Lensman. Still looking for a copy of it.

You will never find it, it's in crazier rights hell than Macross.

I found a VCR-rip online a few months ago, and that's probably the best you'll do.

Hell, I saw the used Japanese VHS for about 3000yen last month, so I guess it hasn't seen a DVD release here, either.

It got a video release in Australia back in the 90's but I haven't seen a copy for ages. (Not likely to see it again either the way most of our video rental shops are trashing their VHS stock, *sigh*) I did hire it when it came out but I remember little about the show.

Taksraven