Forbidden Planet Movie

Zinjo

According to various web sources, it looks like a new Forbidden Planet movie is in the works.

Joe Stracinsky is writing it and James Cameron apparently loved the first draft.

The film will be about the Bellerophon and what happened to her crew. It's a prequel much like "Death Race "was a prequel to "Death Race 2000". It is being written as a stand alone story.

However, if the film does well, there are plans for two more, including a remake of the 50's original. Since Stracinsky is a fan of the original there is no indication that the story will be changed, but with events of the previous films, the story of the C57D crew will have a much greater significance in the overall saga.

Edited by Zinjo

According to various web sources, it looks like a new Forbidden Planet movie is in the works.

Joe Stracinsky is writing it and James Cameron apparently loved the first draft.

The film will be about the Bellerophon and what happened to her crew. It's a prequel much like "Death Race "was a prequel to "Death Race 2000". It is being written as a stand alone story.

However, if the film does well, there are plans for two more, including a remake of the 50's original. Since Stracinsky is a fan of the original there is no indication that the story will be changed, but with events of the previous films, the story of the C57D crew will have a much greater significance in the overall saga.

This might belong more in the remake thread, I am not sure. I am sure that this project has been mentioned there before.

The could get Leslie Nielsen back to play his role from the original. Just use some CGI to make him look younger. I don't know about the current status or availability of Robby the Robot though.

To be honest, they should leave it alone. I think that they would stuff it up.

Taksraven

The original Forbidden Planet is one of the most important and influential sci-fi movies OF ALL TIME. Doing a remake seems a bit pointless to me. It is like doing a remake of 2001. Now a prequel or sequel may be interesting but still seems a bit silly. The "sequel" to 2001, 2010(?) was quite bad IIRC.

The original Forbidden Planet is one of the most important and influential sci-fi movies OF ALL TIME. Doing a remake seems a bit pointless to me. It is like doing a remake of 2001. Now a prequel or sequel may be interesting but still seems a bit silly. The "sequel" to 2001, 2010(?) was quite bad IIRC.

It all stems from Hollywood's inability to comprehend the fact that some movies are only meant to be "one-shots". The movie is made, it says what it has to say, and thats it. No need for sequels or prequels or 'reimaginings' or any crap like that.

Unfortunately, the Hollywood studio system dictates that if a movie is really successful, then ya gotta make another one. I find that the best policy is that if you really enjoy a film , and later, an unneccesary sequel appears, JUST IGNORE IT, pretend that it does not exist.

Example. I really enjoy the movie The Blues Brothers. I am aware of the fact that they made a follow-up, Blues Brothers 2000, but that is as far as my knowledge of this second film extends. I will never own a copy and I will never see it. I could not care less about it.

Second example, 2001 vs. 2010. I have copies of both films. (I only bought 2010 because it was going for 10 bucks). I have watched both and I appreciate them on two different levels. 2001, simply put is one of the greatest films of all time (and I mean overall, not just SF), but 2010 is just some simple hack science fiction by comparison that I watch if I want to kill some time.

As for Forbidden Planet, I doubt that any sort of prequel or followup to this film will be made. If it is, we will have to wait and see what it is like I guess, but I doubt it would be good, regardless of who is writing/making it.

Taksraven

Forbidden planet is such a good movie even to this day. I remember watching it the first time on TV as a kid because I was bored. I was expecting it to be kind of boring, but I soon realized what a great piece of cinema it is. This is definitely a must see for anyone remotely interested in sci-fi. I think it will continue to stand the test of time. The mark of a truly great piece of work. I've been meaning to pick up the super collectors edition that comes in a metal tin.

I would go see whatever it is that they are making now, but I wouldn't neccesarily link it to the original. I'll just try to enjoy it on it's own merits if it's any good.

JMS is a serious fan of the original movie though and has said that this is not a remake, but that it takes place in the same universe and will pay homage to the original. Even so he was reluctant to take on the project and really only did so to make sure that it was done right and did not tarnish the original, which is still a SF masterpiece.

JMS is a serious fan of the original movie though and has said that this is not a remake, but that it takes place in the same universe and will pay homage to the original. Even so he was reluctant to take on the project and really only did so to make sure that it was done right and did not tarnish the original, which is still a SF masterpiece.

I have great respect for JMS, and that's all well and good - but it's likely that the studio will kick him off the project, preserve a few bits of his script, then hire Paul WS Anderson to direct it.

I love the original FP. What astounds me is how well the visuals have held up over the years. Even in the digital age, the effects look incredible!

Speaking of JMS, any word on him getting to do anymore B5 movies?

Short answer courtesy of the Babylon 5 Wikipedia page....

On July 13, 2008, Straczynski revealed that he had no plans to continue The Lost Tales. He said that although the studio was interested in another disc, they wanted to budget the next installment similarly to the first. Citing his disappointment with the first release due to the low budget, Straczynski said he did not want to dilute Babylon 5's legacy with further sub-par stories. He stated that he would only return to the Babylon 5 universe if Warner Bros. wanted to do a large-budgeted cinema release.[63]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5#The_Lost_Tales

Long answer courtesy of the Man himself on the Usenet.....

jmsatb5@aol.com

14 Jul 2008, 12:42

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

Local: Mon 14 Jul 2008 12:42

Subject: from jms: update

Putting this on a recent thread here where it's more likely to be seen

in a quick fashion....

Several things just to update folks.

First, many thanks to all those who sent along research suggestions

and offerings to be of assistance on the project I can't talk about.

I've been swamped with deadlines and unable to reply to any of the

public notes and private emails, but as soon as I can get my head

above water, be assured that I'll be in touch with many of you.

Second, as noted in the original thread before I hijacked it, yes, the

plan at the moment is that I will be at Comic Con San Diego this year,

primarily doing my thing on Thursday and Saturday afternoons.

There is a *chance* -- mind you, it's just a slim chance but to be

honorable I must mention it -- that a work situation *may* preclude my

appearance there. Or it may not. I'll know more by the end of next

week, and for now as far as I know, everything's on target for me to

be at SDCC. If that changes, I'll be sure to let everyone know as far

in advance as possible.

One final note re: recent discussions on TMoS and more Lost Tales.

B5:TLT was commissioned at a $2 million budget to, yet one more time,

"test the waters" for B5. We did what we could with that, and that

was that. As we did with Rangers, which also suffered from not having

a lot of money because of concerns about "is there really a B5

audience?" Which is, of course, a foolish question from a studio that

has never really understood what it has in B5.

Of late, there have been more discussions from WB about doing more

DVDs, again at a low cost, or a cable thing, again with minimal

investment.

So for the last few months, I've been giving this whole subject a lot

of quiet thought. And I've come to a conclusion.

B5 as a five year story stands beautifully on its own. If anything

else is to be continued from that story, it should be something that

adds to the legacy of B5, rather than subtracts from it.

As well intentioned as Rangers and TLT were, as enticing as it was to

return to those familiar waters, in the end I think they did more to

subtract from the legacy than add to it. I don't regret having made

them, because I needed to go through that to get to the point where I

am now psychologically, but from where I sit now, I wouldn't make them

again.

So I've let everyone up here know that I'm not interested in doing any

more low-budget DVDs. I'm not interested in doing any low-budget

cable things or small computer games. The only thing I would be

interested in doing regarding Babylon 5 from this point on is a full-

featured, big-budget feature film.

It's that or nothing.

And if it's nothing, I'm totally cool with that because the original

story stands on its own just fine. I'm not lobbying for it, I'm not

asking fans to write in about it (nor should you) because such

campaigns never really have much impact...that's simply the position

I've taken up here. Lord knows I don't lack for other things to do

these days. I'm busier on more prestige projects with terrific people

and great film-makers than at any other time in my career.

At the end of the day, for me, it's not just a matter of getting more

B5. It's a matter of getting more *good* B5 that respects what came

before it and doesn't have to compromise visually or in terms of

action. The original show deserves better than that, the surviving

cast members deserve better than that, and the fans who have supported

it over the years definitely deserve better than that. A lot better.

So I've drawn that line in the sand, and I'm happy living on whichever

side of that line the universe puts me. Just thought you should know,

'cause it's your show too.

jms

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts....047b5daf18b8524

Taksraven

An amazingly honorable stance. Can't argue with that.

True. If only other writers and series creators took up such a noble position rather than going "Money money money, who cares about quality!"

Taksraven