Sunset Beach

HWR MKII

Wow that looks great!. No wonder i never saw it. That was posted well before my time here. I hope mine looks half that good when its finished. I still have to do up the antenna on the right booster. Im leaving it till last though so i dont knock it off repeatedly.

Well here are the pics i promised. Decals and a wash. Also some shots of Petars fine work in teh cockpit. I havent painted the figs yet. That is a task for my next day off when i can devote full attention to them.

post-2293-1230961814_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961854_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961888_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961903_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961916_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961936_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961949_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961965_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961975_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1230961987_thumb.jpg

Well that cockpit is certainly a bit different from the Hasegawas in some way. I was going to suggest just running the base of the pilot over some sandpaper, which might remove some height, but perhaps the elbows might get in the way...

In anycase, you're making good progress and I look forwards to the next update!

Looking good Sean, you didn't waste any time puting those decals to use. Glad they worked for ya.

They worked like a charm. As you can see. Even the cockpit decals fit well. I added a front seat panel from a VF-1 but the back seat is stock. The decal fell right in place.

Edited by HWR MKII

that is so great...I thought you were going to add a DYRL pilot, but either way, the SDFM pilot makes it even more unique...can't wait to see it finished

I will be putting a DYRL pilot in it. The SDFM plot isnt compatable with this kit. The probelm is with the kit not the pilot. It will fit in a hasegawa VF-1 as Petar has said. The front seat bottom in this kit sits higher than the hasegawa kit.

I have Minmay painted up. The TV suit is quite suitable for the helmeted version of her. You only see the helmet on her for a few seconds but i was able to get the general outline of her colors off it. I just have to add a red dot to the chest plate i painted on.

Petar has some incredible sculpting skills. there are fine lines and wrinkles in the elbows and even seams on the suit. How he did that i have no idea.

post-2293-1232502949_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232502976_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232502989_thumb.jpg

Here she is in seat waiting for Hikaru to get his lazy butt in gear. I also got the boosters mounted. The kit supplied parts werent suitable to me. So i made new ones out of a core of steel wire and styrene square stock.

post-2293-1232503388_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232503401_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232503416_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232503435_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232503446_thumb.jpg

She looks very cool with the orange helmet and flightsuit! Actually this is the first time I've seen her with paint on. Thanks Sean.

I cannot wait to see this one finished, the Macross world needs more trainers, in my opinion!

+1 for great paintwork on Minmay. Well done.

Well i couldnt find my DYRL pilots from my weapons set so i just painted up the pilot that came with the kit. Not too bad. It doesnt have the big shoulder guards and such as it should but once the canopy is closed and decaled up it wont be too noticeable. Its more about having the correct colors where they should be overall.

post-2293-1232569774_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232569788_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232569805_thumb.jpg

Thanks man. Its ALLLLLLMOST done. Just have to add the verniers and put it on its base

HOWEVER! I want to do something with the base other than the usual UN Spacey Kite. I could swear i saw a artwork of a cartoon style ostrich somewhere that had a red super cape on it. It was a joke on the Super Ostrich units. If anyone can find it id love to use that image on the base. Kind of a "unit patch " type of thing.

Frisket film and airbrushing with a little brush work for line and details. Then sealed under many coats of future.

Nice!

I think it will be impossible to paint by hand what I have in mind for my base, so I'll go ahead with my photo plan. I think that as long as I have it printed on nice paper it should look good. I might try both glossy + matte, or maybe even metallic paper.

Well overall the Ostrich is done. Aside from the base but that can wait while i track down the image or someone stumbles upon it. The base will just get painted black and wait. The Vac formed canopy was a right pain but i feel i got it to work well enough. The kit also shows its age in having the TV style cone verniers. It also has TV style ducting in the feet. Weird. Wasnt going for perfection on this build at all. I just wanted to get a good Super ostrich in my collection without having to track down a hasegawa. I really like this kit and would love to get my hands on the others that Orange Collection did aside from the Elint seeker already in progress. They strike a nice balance with the on screen look and feel of the craft.

post-2293-1232690892_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232690904_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232690917_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232690941_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232690962_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232690977_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232690995_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1232691008_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Hey man good to see you finished it. There is a slight sheen to the kit. Is that just the pics or a look you were after?

Also what do you mean by "TV style ducting in the feet"?

Berttt

In DYRL the thrust ducts in the feet were 3 rectangles as seen in the hasegawa kits. In the TV show it had a more conventional afterburner flame holder ring looking detail. This kit has the ring detail.

I was after the sheen look. This isnt a combat craft and im kind of happy with the shiny look. Everything else i have is so drab its nice to have a splash of color.

Well that just looks awesome. Funny how you left a bit of sheen to it... I've kind of decided to do the same on my VF2SS. The problem is they don't seem to photograph as well as matt finishes. Never mind, your Ostrich looks really cool and now I want one! Does the Hasegawa have the same type of big exhaust cans at the back? I haven't seen ones like those before on any Valk build I've seen.

Sean has kindly agreed to let me post some pics of the build at Studio Starforge later next week.

Dude! that thing turned out fantastic! I had to save those pics for reference. The canopy looks perfect IMHO and really shows off those figures inside. I really like the look of your finish as well. The slightly glossy sheen and only slight touch of weathering is perfect for the Super O.

Great job as usual.

• 2 weeks later...