Macross kits recommendations

Remko

I've been thinking about getting a few Macross kits, but wanted to know if these are recommended for novice builders.

Here's my wishlist:

BANDAI:

1/72 VF-25F Messiah Valkyrie Alto Custom

1/72 VF-25S Messiah Valkyrie Ozma Custom

1/72 RVF-25 Messiah Luca Custom

HASEGAWA:

1/72 YF-19 "Demonstrator"

1/72 SV-51 Gamma w/Twin Booster

1/72 VF-0C VMFAT-203 Hawks

1/72 VF-0D Macross Zero

Thanks for the help!!

I'd say start with the Hasegawas first, since they are much much simpler than the Bandai kits, which have been compared to their Gundam MG line. Alternatively, if you can wait, and want a 'do-it-all' kit, you can get the 1/72 Luca, do the Ghost fighters first (which will be simpler, and you can try things out 3 times before you're out of Ghosts) before doing the Valkyrie itself ;)

I'd say start with the Hasegawas first, since they are much much simpler than the Bandai kits, which have been compared to their Gundam MG line. Alternatively, if you can wait, and want a 'do-it-all' kit, you can get the 1/72 Luca, do the Ghost fighters first (which will be simpler, and you can try things out 3 times before you're out of Ghosts) before doing the Valkyrie itself ;)

Does this mean the RVF-25 will come with the three ghosts? Woohoo!! Always thought that would be awesome, one leader, and three 'slaves' doing most of the dirty work. I think the Bandai transformable snap-fit kits will be the first ones to be build. They sound easy enough, and can transform as well. Giving a much cheaper model then the Yamato toys for example. Next will probably the VF-0C deltawing. In my own custom livery though. B))

Does this mean the RVF-25 will come with the three ghosts? Woohoo!! Always thought that would be awesome, one leader, and three 'slaves' doing most of the dirty work. I think the Bandai transformable snap-fit kits will be the first ones to be build. They sound easy enough, and can transform as well. Giving a much cheaper model then the Yamato toys for example. Next will probably the VF-0C deltawing. In my own custom livery though. B))

really, I wouldn't recamend any of the kits you listed to a novice builder, though you're definition of novice vs. mine could be quite different.

Hase Valk kit's are traditional style models (i.e. single color plastic, you have to glue paint and decal everything). and hase kit's in general, while nice, are a bit expensive to start out on if you've haven't build models like that before.

bandai snap kits are much simpilar to do a basic build on (snap kit so no glue, colored plastic so no painting, and stickers instead of waterslide decals).

haveing looked over the new VF-25 kit though. they're pritty complex in terms of number of parts. If you've never built a gundam kit before get a couple newer ones and try building them first just to get a feel for bandai instructions and bandai model construction.

It really comes down to you're personal level of experiance and what you feel comfortable with.

of you're choises though, I'd recamend the ozma for the bandai's and any hase kit.

Well, there are pros and cons with both kits!

Perhaps the most important point to start with is which valk do you favour more?

Next, are you a model guy or more of a toy guy? Hasegawa kits are real model kits, where you will need glue, putty, paint etc and good modelling skills to make it look good. The BanDai kit on the other hand is more straight forward, a good pair of cutting pliers and/or exacto knife with minimal modelling skills and the kit can already turn out halfway decent!

Last, the Hasegawa kit is for display only, do not expect to play with it, the BanDai kit however is meant to be played with (though not like a toy)!

Yep it does! It's not out yet though, hlj is accepting pre-orders right now. I'm still getting to grips with my VF-25S, so its not an easy task!

If your plan is to build the hasegawa kits eventually then i would suggest buying something along these lines first: http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGE2 it is a relatively well fitting kit and doesn't have a huge number of parts. This way you practice all sorts of techniques on it before moving on to the Valks.

If your aim to to build the Bandai Valks then you can either do the above (to get basic modelling prinicples) and then buy a cheap gundam kit to get the idea of how bandai things go together, or you can just buy the cheapest MG Gndam kit you can find to get the basic principles of the bandai kits and allo you to practice some things before moving on the the expensive valks.

• 2 weeks later...

I really disagree with this statement. I've built 1/72 airplane models for years and the VF series is actually among the harder pieces I've ever encountered for a modern model... particularly the VF-1 Super/Strike. Its got more parts, semi hidden facings, and fragile parts than any other contemporary airplane model. Its not an easy build by any stretch of the imagination.

The bandai stuff is dirt simple to put together; its basically a gunpla for Macross (for better or for worse.) You even need to paint a Bandai piece very much to make it look good, as its designed for that mindset. This completely the opposite for the Hasegawa models where you NEED to paint, and do it well for it to look acceptable (even no-paint builds require a huge amount of skill.) Finally you can manhandle it a bit; you can't do that with a Hase model because of their fragility.

As someone pointed out above, if you want to enter into modeling, you might want to find some of the early Bandai VF-1s. They might not be the best in terms of detail, but they are very good practice. Choosing another hasegawa model is another option... I don't know if I'd go for the F-14 (its older and has a few problems), but the F/A-18F is a newer model with great detail but easy to assemble. I can see a new aircraft modeler becoming quickly frustrated with a Hasegawa VF-1 given its complexity and high need for skill. Or if you're more interested in the Gunpla side, go with a Gundam model... you can get some great deals these days online for them. However