Has anyone purchased an "Origin" Valk yet?

Vifam7

Has anyone purchased an "Origin" Valk yet? Just wondering as I haven't yet seen anyone post a pic of the Max Super 1A yet.

On a separate note, there's a nice background history of the 1/55 Valk posted on the Tamashii site. All in Japanese ofcourse. They interviewed Takeo Mitsui of Takatoku (ex-chief of development) and Takayuki Morishima of Popy (developer of the 1/55 Strike Valk).

A couple of interesting facts that I did not know -

- Originally Takatoku brass wanted to make toys of the SDF-1. Not Valkyries. (to be fair this was before the Macross anime actually aired & Big West was going around toy companies asking what toys can be made for a new show they're working on) Taka's development section thought differently. Mr. Mitsui was actually berated by upper management of Takatoku when they presented the idea of making Valk toys. Eventually the development team convinced management to go with Valks.

- Takatoku didn't know if a transforming Valk toy was possible

- Kawamori first made a Valk out of paper & toothpicks then next made one out of wood to show Takatoku that a transforming Valk toy was indeed possible. That wooden model was later painted up and used as a promotional piece. (a pic of the promo flyer is shown)

- While Takatoku was the company in charge of developing the toy, it was actually Matsushiro that did the actual designing and blueprints.

- Even back then, Takatoku realized that the toy was rather "chunky". But Matsushiro convinced them that the design they made would be better balanced (particularly in terms of the strength needed in the joints and hinges).

- When Takatoku went belly up the molds were passed to Matsushiro who then went on to make the Jetfires. And when Matsushiro collapsed, Bandai got the molds. But the molds Bandai got wasn't complete/in good shape thus the reason why the head has to be changed on the Hi-Metal Valk.

- By the time the 2001 reissue 1/55s came out, the original Takatoku molds were lost (no longer usuable?). The 2001 reissues were made out of brand new molds by Bandai.

- During the 2001 reissue, there were plans to release what they called "Genocide Valkyrie". Even though a prototype was made, it was put on the shelf. (I'd love to know what that 1/55 "Genocide Valk" looked like)

Edited by Vifam7

I would love to pick these up, but alas - I'm on a budget, and that budget only allows so much. Yamato - yes. Bandai Macross Frontier: yes. Soul of CHogokin: yes. Select Transformers: yes.

If - at some point in futurue - I have some extra cash lying around, I'd likely be happy getting one of these for that sake of having one... or something like that.

Pete

I placed a pre-order last summer with Kevin for the Max Super VF-1A. I thought the pre-order was the the Tamashii release, but I guess it's actually for the Toynami/Tamashii release since I haven't been charged yet.

But the molds Bandai got wasn't complete/in good shape thus the reason why the head has to be changed on the Hi-Metal Strike Valk.

Thanks for translations, that's probably the most comprehensive history of the 1/55 ever written in English. ^_^ Anyways, I didn't notice that the 1/55 Strike had a different head. I've seen some versions with non-notched head lasers, but that's it. I always thought that the non-notched head lasers were leftovers they used from Jetfire toys.

Btw, does the article name who actually sculpted the 1/55 toy?

Thanks for the translation V7.

That is a great story. I had always wondered about a certain valkyrie in an old Takatoku catalogue. The valk was a different sculpt altogether and had faint similarities to the old 1/55. Could this be the valkyrie that was made of wood and painted to demonstrate a transforming valkyrie to the Takatoku toy makers?

Prototype 1/55

*Well, it sure isn't made from toothpicks and paper.

I placed a pre-order last summer with Kevin for the Max Super VF-1A. I thought the pre-order was the the Tamashii release, but I guess it's actually for the Toynami/Tamashii release since I haven't been charged yet.

Thanks for translations, that's probably the most comprehensive history of the 1/55 ever written in English. ^_^ Anyways, I didn't notice that the 1/55 Strike had a different head. I've seen some versions with non-notched head lasers, but that's it. I always thought that the non-notched head lasers were leftovers they used from Jetfire toys.

Btw, does the article name who actually sculpted the 1/55 toy?

The article doesn't name any one person as the sculptor. It may have just been a staff effort at Matsushiro. Though I think the base was Kawamori's wooden model.

post-1142-1227109317_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the translation V7.

That is a great story. I had always wondered about a certain valkyrie in an old Takatoku catalogue. The valk was a different sculpt altogether and had faint similarities to the old 1/55. Could this be the valkyrie that was made of wood and painted to demonstrate a transforming valkyrie to the Takatoku toy makers?

Prototype 1/55

*Well, it sure isn't made from toothpicks and paper.

That's the wood model that Kawamori made (the one that Takatoku painted up and used as a promotional piece).

Edited by Vifam7

That's the wood model that Kawamori made (the one that Takatoku painted up and used as a promotional piece).

Thanks for confirming that prototype as Kawamori's wooden model. Always had a hunch that it was, but could never get any concrete confirmation.

edit: Did the article explain the differences between the 1/55 Strike head and the older version?

Edited by TheLoneWolf

I bought the VF-1J from the Origins line this past summer(stupidly missed out on the 2002 version). I love it. I've always been fond of the 1/55 line, because of nostalgic reasons, and aside from that, I just love the way it looks, it looks good now even compared to modern mass market transforming jet robot toys, and for a 20+ year old toy, that is impressive.

I am awaiting further news for the Toynami/Tamashii deal, as I intend to place an order with Kevin once the DYRL valks are finally shipped over here. I'm actually quite worried, because we haven't heard much from the japanese side of things, pertaining to future releases. I really want to see the Strike valk and VF-1D.

Thanks for the translation vifam, very informative!

Thanks for confirming that prototype as Kawamori's wooden model. Always had a hunch that it was, but could never get any concrete confirmation.

edit: Did the article explain the differences between the 1/55 Strike head and the older version?

No, but I think a MW member can tell you the difference. The redone head IIRC was smaller than the original head. I believe noone liked that head and Bandai reverted to the original design.

I bought the VF-1J from the Origins line this past summer(stupidly missed out on the 2002 version). I love it. I've always been fond of the 1/55 line, because of nostalgic reasons, and aside from that, I just love the way it looks, it looks good now even compared to modern mass market transforming jet robot toys, and for a 20+ year old toy, that is impressive.

I too love my 1/55 for similar reasons. Nostalgia is definitely one. It was the toy that my parents couldn't/wouldn't buy for me and for many years one that I couldn't find or afford.

Amazing that Takatoku/Matsushiro got so many things right 20+ years ago. Obviously, better looking Valk toys have come out since then but the old gal still has some charm (at least to me).

Thanks for the translation vifam, very informative!

You're welcome.

No, but I think a MW member can tell you the difference. The redone head IIRC was smaller than the original head. I believe noone liked that head and Bandai reverted to the original design.

Changes to the head only apply to the SUPER VF-1S from 1990 and not the STRIKE VALKYRIE, both are from the Bandai Hi-Metal series, but only the 1990 has several (and very noticable) changes.