please tell me this is horribly, horribly overpriced

VenomMacbeth

Red Star Vintage is notorious for overpriocing in their Ebay store; just check out their other auctions. They do periodically offer 20% off sales on a lot of their stuff if it doesnt sell after a few months, but its still overpriced. The seller also has a Best Offer option, but I have made a few realistic offers on some stuff and it was never accepted.

More than likley they are working off of values for toys about 8 years ago when it was not uncommon to see a TT SDF-1 go for $600 - $700. Prices change, markets change, economies change. Toy values rise and fall and right now most Macross toy values are in a slump. For some reason a lot of sellers refuse to believe this.

Another lesson in why collectible toys are not a wise investment ;)

I would much rather spend way less money and get a WAVE. Sure, it's much smaller, but it looks way cooler in both modes. Also, I think Graham mentioned that a SDF-1 was still on the list of possible releases for Yamato. I would seriously wait to see before spending a huge amount of money on the old Taka toys. I wonder if Bandai would ever do a re-release under the "Origin of..." series? I seriously doubt anyone would be foolish enough to spend $600 on that particular one. You may still find what you are looking for on ebay. Just have patience. There will always be someone willing to part with theirs at some point in time. Just one guys opinion.

The one in the auction is missing 3 more small accessory planes (1 each of two different Valk styles, and the Lancer II). Someone also shaved off the tabs that attach the little planes to their catapults on the carriers.

So, yeah. That's pretty overpriced. I wouldn't mind clean scans of the decals, though.

The WAVE toy represents a different design of the Macross. I think the Takatoku design is light-years closer to the TV design.

Its also MASSIVE, and FEELS like a toy of a mile-long space battleship.

But, to each their own! Especially since there are a number of toys & kits of it.

The WAVE toy represents a different design of the Macross. I think the Takatoku design is light-years closer to the TV design.

Its also MASSIVE, and FEELS like a toy of a mile-long space battleship.

But, to each their own! Especially since there are a number of toys & kits of it.

Yeah, I can appreciate the fact that it is the original TV design, but I still feel it is grossly out of proportion. I feel the same way about the chunky monkey valks. There was a time that I really wanted one of those toys because it is big and really the best toy at the time of the SDF-1. When I was kid I like the chunkies because I could play with it as much as I wanted. I didn't have to be careful that it would break easily. I think Yamato and WAVE have spoiled me into expecting much more from a toy. I was always frustrated because I never was that interested in building models, yet I always liked how accurate and beautiful a finished model could be. I was always wishing that companies would make decent toys that looked accurate to the anime. I've said it before, I would love for Yamato, or whomever, to make an SDF-1 toy of the 1:3000 scale variety.