Drama Albums

Gubaba

I found the Macross Classic MW thread.

I saved Renato's Macross Clasic summary to iMacross4.

And here's Macross Outside story scanned from Macross Perfect Memory with .pdf translation by Roycommi

I haven't read this for long while.

I did the first four minutes of subtitle timing with Gubaba's translation of Miss D.J. This video project could take me a month to do, I suspect. Thanks, Gubaba!

I don't think Macross Generation can be done as a video slideshow because there is no pictures. But, it's a keeper. Thanks for the translation, lynn2009

Edited by boinger

I checked the compendium the seiyuu for Flower Girl.

She is the same girl following Basara?

What does this mean? Flower girl was around in 2010? Is she a Meltran?

Before we can debate whether or not this is the same Flower Girl that appears in M7, we need to establish whether or not the Drama CD's are considered canon. If they're not canon, then anything is possible. If they are canon, then we have a bona fide mystery.

Unless the Drama CD's explicitly state that they are canon, only Kawamori, Studio Nue or Egan Loo can render such an assessment.

Before we can debate whether or not this is the same Flower Girl that appears in M7, we need to establish whether or not the Drama CD's are considered canon. If they're not canon, then anything is possible. If they are canon, then we have a bona fide mystery.

Unless the Drama CD's explicitly state that they are canon, only Kawamori, Studio Nue or Egan Loo can render such an assessment.

From the article above.

As he himself noted before the drama began, director and creator Kawamori Shouji had never dramatized the two years between episode 27 and 28 of the first television series until now. (Although Tomita Sukehiro's Macross Vol. IV audio drama did rely on and make references to this period.) The fans had to be content with "The Lost Two Years," a short story Kawamori penned for the volumious reference tome MACROSS PERFECT MEMORY.

While not a straight adaptation of this short story, the MACROSS CLASSIC audio drama depicts the same mind-numbing devastation in the wake of Space War I, the gradual comeback Earth made from the apocalypse, and the Human-Zentradi cooperation essential to the healing. All this, though, are mere backdrops to the slowly evolving relationship between Ichijyo Hikaru and Hayase Misa (Doi Mika).

Hmmm... Canon or not canon?

Anybody got Macross Perfect Memory? Just to clear whether Macross Classic is an adaptation.

Personally I think the Flower Girl was just thrown in to excite Macross 7 fans and there isn't much to read into it.

I agree completely.

Well...it's listed here (in February):

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2010

And certainly nothing else on the album really seems to conflict with established continuity...not that I've noticed, at any rate.

"Miss D.J." is there, too, although that seems rather questionable ("Shao Pai Long" won a movie award? Were enough movies made onboard the Macross to even have a competition...? If so, how?).

OK, I'll slowly work on Macross Generation next month. Since I found my Vol. IV CD (Misa's drama album), I actually started translating that. I should be done by the end of the week. Main problem with it is that the sound volume on it is so low, I have trouble hearing what they say sometimes, especially when the bridge trio talk.

I'm really looking forward to that. :D

"Miss D.J." is there, too, although that seems rather questionable ("Shao Pai Long" won a movie award? Were enough movies made onboard the Macross to even have a competition...? If so, how?).

As Ricky Bobby would say, the film won the academy award for "best movie ever". :p

I think post SW-1 they started making movies but having a million survivors and giant Zentradi fanboys you don't have choice but give it an award for the songstress that united them stars in it.

But "Miss D.J." doesn't happen post-SWI, it happens somewhere around episodes 22 to 24...

Maybe Jamis made her own movie?

Seems to me Mr. Mayor encouraged the entrepreneurial spirit in his citizens at Macross City.

That's so crazy that just might be right. ^_^

Or try this: Every TV network in the world sent their very best people to cover the launch of the Macross. And, as we all know, most people in TV really wish that they were doing movies...so once the ship folded, they decided to get out of TV once and for all and live their dreams.

I found the Macross Classic MW thread.

I saved Renato's Macross Clasic summary to iMacross4.

And here's Macross Outside story scanned from Macross Perfect Memory with .pdf translation by Renato.

I did the first four minutes of subtitle timing with Gubaba's translation of Miss D.J. This video project could take me a month to do, I suspect. Thanks, Gubaba!

I don't think Macross Generation can be done as a video slideshow because there is no pictures. But, it's a keeper. Thanks for the translation, lynn2009

I'm taking the liberty of posting the summaries here, for the sake of collecting everything in one place.

Macross Classic: Macross Inside Story

Summary by Renato

A Drama CD released in 1996 featuring the original cast telling a story taking place within the "lost two years" gap period of the Macross TV series.

Chapter 1: "Day After":

It has been three months since the final battle with Bodolzaa. The Earth has been left in ruins. Yet Minmay continues to perform in concert tours. During one particular concert, a couple of Zentradi fans get too excited and due to their loud shouting and their huge mass the concert is suddenly cancelled on the grounds of danger. The audience begin to chant "Get lost, Zentradi" and so they reluctantly withdraw. Soon after, Hikaru bumps into a Flower Girl, who was disappointed she missed the concert, as she had come all the way from Japan to give the flowers to Minmay. Admiral Global summons Hikaru and Misa to a meeting in which he outlines his plan for the re-establishment of Macross City with the Macross as the capital centre and the reconstruction of the Earth's environment. Hikaru is given the task of once again being a Valkyrie pilot and carry out patrol missions.

Chapter 2: "Lonely People"

Max and Millia are looking for a place to register their marriage, but the state of the town is such that there are no offices to speak of. Millia has the idea that one day she would become the mayor of a town, but Max just laughs. It turns out that the two Zentradi were henchmen of the backstabber Quamzin, and he tells them that they would be allying with Laplamiz, but the two realise that they would not be able to hear Minmay anymore if they go with him. As they go into town to look for work, the construction chief tells them that they get in his way and are too brutish, and one of the builders jumps into an orange Spartan Destroid customized as a Bulldozer and attacks the two Zentran. Hikaru and a new pilot, Millard, try to stop the struggle, but a Glaug battle pod piloted by Quamzin suddenly appears which opens fire on all of them. As Hikaru sees the missiles come toward him, his whole body freezes and he is hit.

Chapter 3: "Fighter's Spirit"

Misa and Claudia are in Hikaru's hospital room, saying how the doctor described his condition as "psychologic shock", triggered by flashbacks of the previous battles. In his dream, Hikaru has a conversation with Roy Focker on a grassy field, who asks him if he knew why he was getting into the Valkyrie again, to which Hikaru answers, "to protect the people important to me." When he wakes up, he feels that the way he is now he cannot protect anybody anymore so he wants to quit being a Valkyrie pilot. Suddenly, an injured Millard gets brought into the hospital wondering if he could still realise his dream of becoming a test pilot, and Max also shows up. As it turns out, Millia is pregnant, but Max is not sure if a child brought up on this world would be happy. Misa explains that their baby wouldn't not just be theirs, but would be a bridge that links both humans and Zentradi together.

Chapter 4: "My Life"

The workers at the construction site are trying to get rid of a Quel-Quallie Zentradi pod which is lying there and try to blast it out, ignoring Max's warnings. This sets off a reaction mechanism which makes the pod automatically fire its weapons, and brings down a building behind Millia, trapping her in the wreckage. In the meantime, Hikaru is looking at the view from the radar tower. Claudia explains to him that sometimes one must fight to live, and asks if he is also planning to turn his back on living. Suddenly an alert sounds and Hikaru, the Skull Leader, is called upon. He thinks for a moment, then agrees that while the battle may be frightening, seeing his friends in danger is even more so, and he sets out to take off in the Valkyrie. When he arrives, he tries to rescue Millia, but can't do it on his own. Just then, the two Zentradi from earlier appear, on their way to another Minmay concert. Max pleas for their help, saying that his wife is Zentradi just like they are, but they say that a Micronized Zentran is no longer the same. Hikaru tells them that if they are Minmay fans they should understand that Minmay sings to everybody regardless of whether they be human or Zentradi, and that they should live their lives in the same way. They eventually realise he is right and begin to help, but they can't manage to hold on and a part of the wall tumbles down. Just as Max wonders if Millia survived, the Spartan reappears and reaveals that he stopped the wall from completely collapsing. The four of them then lift and Max jumps in to rescue Millia. Patrolling around some time later on, Hikaru notices the construction site again and the Zentradi, who now work there, thank him. But he mentions that it is all right, since they are all just people on the same Earth.

Next month I'm back in the UK for a bit and I'll try to track down my copy of the actual script so I have the full thing back in my hands, and we'll see from there...

In the meantime, bear in mind I wrote this like ten years ago, and my Japanese was a lot worse back then, so there may be a few mistakes, sorry. E.g., in chapter two, I think the two Zentradi weren't originally henchmen of Kamjin, they were just workers who were stressed with all the anti-zent hatred around. Bleah.

Lastly, Boinger, I really don't remember ever finishing the translation I was doing for the Perfect Memory: Lost Two Years story, so that link you put up for it may not be actually mine originally. I remember someone did a very simplified translation and I then gave up on mine halfway through or so, because I figured people only wanted to catch the gist of it anyway. I haven't downloaded the file yet, but just in case, it might not be me you should be crediting for that one.

Edited by Renato

Well...it's listed here (in February):

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2010

And certainly nothing else on the album really seems to conflict with established continuity...not that I've noticed, at any rate.

Awesome! From looking at that wiki's history, Egan Loo has definitely been keeping an eye on it, so I guess that settles it: the Drama CD's are canon. ^_^

Shao Pai Long winning a movie award is as questionable as the Flower Girl appearence. But like lynn2009 said, both are probably mentioned just to get fans excited.

Awesome! From looking at that wiki's history, Egan Loo has definitely been keeping an eye on it, so I guess that settles it: the Drama CD's are canon.

It hasn't been changed since we imported it...

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2009/index.html

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2010/index.html

I'm really looking forward to that. :D

Sorry, but it looks like I'll need to try to finish up the translation for Misa's album next week. This week has not been so nice to me, and the weekend looks to continue the craziness.

I have two more tracks to work on and the final song to translate. I've had to resort to typing out the Japanese dialogue first before tackling to translate, since I realize that sometimes I'm skipping over words when I listen to the album and scan my translations.

Macross Vol. IV

Harukanaru Omoi (Distantly Fading Memories)

1. Mezame –AWAKE- (Used three times)

Composed and Arranged by Kentaro Haneda

Misa Monologue:

The earth… the solar system... the milky way… space…

And within them, I’m a tiny speck…

Misa Hayase. Occupation: soldier. Age 19.

Blood type… A. “Female.”

Something’s trying to begin. It looks like it’s begun to move deep within my heart.

What could it be?

I feel like I’ve experienced it before.

A distant, distant memory is coming back little by little.

What is this unfamiliar passion that makes my heart squeeze?

Ahh… without knowing, another day is beginning.

It repeats. Yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow, it repeats.

But I have to start. I work as a soldier, UN Spacy Macross, Valkyrie instruction duty (shireikinmu), Misa Hayase.

2. Shitou –JEALOUSY-

Shammy: Hey, hey, hey, hey. Kim, Vanessa.

Kim: What is it, Shammy? You’re so loud.

Vanessa: Hey! If you socialize during work, Major Hayase will scold us again.

Kim: That’s right. Major Hayase is scarier than the devil.

(Laughter)

Shammy: It’s about Misa. Don’t you think she’s been acting strange lately? There’s times when she just spaces out, right?

Kim: Now that you mention it, you’re right. I wonder if she got a boyfriend.

Vanessa (laughing): No way!

Shammy: No!

Vanessa: But you know what they say, “oni no kakuran” (a Japanese proverb meaning literally “Devil’s Illness,” but means something along the lines of someone who never gets sick gets a cold.)

Shammy: Ah! Look, she’s spaced out again!

Kim: You’re right. I wonder what she’s thinking of.

Vanessa: Maybe she’s thinking about what to have for dinner tonight?

Shammy: Really? I wonder what she’s thinking about.

Vanessa: I wonder what she’s thinking about.

Kim: We’ll never know.

Vanessa: So true.

Shammy: Too bad.

Minmay Memory:

I’m going to a new town. There, I’ll try singing again. I won’t say I’m not going to sing anymore. Miss Hayase, I don’t know when it will be, but when I can sing my own songs, may I come aboard your ship? Until then, take care.

Misa Monologue:

Lynn Minmay… Why can’t I be straightforward like you?

Lynn Minmay… Why can’t I become passionate like you?

Your smile. Your singing voice. Your passionate burning heart! I’m envious of you!

Jealousy?

…I’m embarrassed. My heart is pure white, but for some reason it feels blue.

(whisper) …I’m embarrassed. I want to talk him, yet I purposely avoid making eye contact and ignore him.

A street at night. Lovers are kissing in the darkness. “Really, people are looking!” I want to mutter that, but I hold my breath and I stare.

I’m embarrassed that I can’t control myself. I don’t like that…

3. Kasa no Naka (Under the Umbrella) –DUET-

Words by Akane Asa

Misa Monologue:

…Rain? Drizzle. Dampening. A fine, misty rain.

I’m embarrassed. I want the rain to wash it all away. Rain… and I want it to downpour on my heart. A beautiful drop of love.

Rain, it continues to rain

The people in town carrying their umbrellas

Red umbrellas, white umbrellas, yellow umbrellas

Each person under their umbrella

Drowning in loneliness

Dreaming rosy dreams

Passing without looking at each

Alone under an umbrella

Rain, it continues to rain

The people on the street carrying their umbrellas

Umbrellas of dreams, Umbrellas of love, Umbrellas of laughter

Wet by the rain, I hand my umbrella to you as you walk

At that moment, a single tear

Stops the rain in my heart

We snuggle under the umbrella

The lonely flow of umbrellas continues

Our love

Separates us from the people passing

We dance under the umbrela

4. Boukyaku –FORGET- (used twice)

(Laughter)

Shammy: Because!

Kim: Hey, hey, Shammy, Vanessa. Do you know a better way of getting a boyfriend?

Shammy: Hey, hey, Kim, how about this then?

Kim: Uh-huh.

Shammy: When you see a COOL guy in a car, you jump in front of it and get hit, and cause an accident. When they’re investigating the accident you talk about this and that, and get to be really close. How about it?

Vanessa: Shammy, Shammy, that wouldn’t work. Hey, hey, Kim, how about this? On a dark street you scream “HELP!” or something, and someone might rush to your aid. And then you make that person your boyfriend, and you make him treat him to something to eat and then run away.

Shammy: No way! What if he an old man comes?

Vanessa: You’re right.

Kim: Then some guy jumps on him.

Vanessa: Oh, Kim, you pervert!

Shammy: A relationship between men is good!

Kim: That’s impossible.

Shammy: What?

Vanessa: Isn’t there something? Oh, that’s right, that’s right. You call someone and say, “Become my boyfriend.” Isn’t that the most realistic?

Kim: Yeah. That sounds good. All right, I’ll use that to get a boyfriend.

Shammy: Hooray, hooray!

Kim: All right. Let’s go!

Girls: Yeah!

Sorry, but it looks like I'll need to try to finish up the translation for Misa's album next week. This week has not been so nice to me, and the weekend looks to continue the craziness.

I have two more tracks to work on and the final song to translate. I've had to resort to typing out the Japanese dialogue first before tackling to translate, since I realize that sometimes I'm skipping over words when I listen to the album and scan my translations.

Very cool! Thank you!

Distantly fading memories translated by next week?

Wow!

Does anybody else want to make a video slideshow presentation of this drama cd?

Today, I'm just finishing up putting together macross perfect memory as a .cbr file.

Would anybody else like to share some Macross book scans? I know I'll need plenty of pictures for the drama cd s, so I put in an order for three Macross TIA books and the entertainment bible. But, I'll think I would need more character pictures, which would mean Mikimoto artbooks.

Then I'll work on timing the 2nd part of Gubaba's translation of Miss DJ and the COTB trailer.

Sorry it's taking so long to get the third part of Miss D.J. up...Minmay talks really fast in the next section, and I finally had to throw up my hands and I'll buy one of my Japanese friends lunch this weekend so that she'll help me with it....it was one of the parts that I had to skip when I did my lost first version of the translation.

On the bright side, I most most of the rest of the album mapped out, and I know where the inaudible or too-fast portions are, so maybe I can finish the whole thing in a week or two (knock on wood).

After that, I'll finish up "Macross Love" and then probably help Lynn2009 out with Macross Generation...but strangely, what I'm really looking forward to is Macross 7 Docking Festival...I'm already trying to figure out what to do with the "kanpyo" joke...

I'm already trying to figure out what to do with the "kanpyo" joke...

Is that the thing about the Protoculture toilet or something?? :wacko:

We appreciate it. Take your time, Gubaba. ^_^

BTW, Isn't Macross Love just quotes from the TV show?

Is that the thing about the Protoculture toilet or something?? :wacko:

We appreciate it. Take your time, Gubaba. ^_^

BTW, Isn't Macross Love just quotes from the TV show?

The "kanpyo" joke is where, for no apparent reason, the bridge bunnies keep calling Max "Kanpyo" instead of "Kancho," and even the announcing robot voice says, "Kanpyo, bridge out."

So I've been trying to think of an English pun on "captain" that could work in context...

And yes, "Macross Love" is just quotes from the show (rerecorded and slightly modified). Boinger wants to make vids for it, though, and who am I to deny such a generous and upright fellow? Luckily, it's pretty easy to idenitfy all the bits and where they're from, so it hasn't been taking too long...I just haven't been working on it much, since "Miss DJ" has really been absorbing all my translation time.

I thought it would be easy since, after listening to it a few times, I had a good idea of what was happening in each section...but of course there's a huge difference between "knowing what's happening" and "providing an accurate translation."

But hey, Mari Iijima's playing a show tomorrow night...maybe I could ask her directly for help with it (I'm sure she'd just LOOOOOVE that, wouldn't she? :rolleyes: ).

EDIT: Hey! I'm no longer a New Edwards Test Pilot...now I'm at the Sharon Apple Concert. Is that a promotion or a demotion...? And more importantly, am I going to get hypnotized now or something...?

Edited by Gubaba

The "kanpyo" joke is where, for no apparent reason, the bridge bunnies keep calling Max "Kanpyo" instead of "Kancho," and even the announcing robot voice says, "Kanpyo, bridge out."

Oh, yeah, I remember that now. Miho must have been on the sauce again... Maybe you could make it "Captor", or something? Kinda iffy though.

But hey, Mari Iijima's playing a show tomorrow night...maybe I could ask her directly for help with it (I'm sure she'd just LOOOOOVE that, wouldn't she? :rolleyes: ).

Heh. Stranger things have happened! She signed my Miss DJ poster a while back so it's not as if she hates it. I just don't think she'll remember much of it.

Heh. Stranger things have happened! She signed my Miss DJ poster a while back so it's not as if she hates it. I just don't think she'll remember much of it.

Yes, stranger things have indeed happened at Mari's shows...like the time I met Reba West at one! ^_^

Ah well, I didn't end up asking anyway. When I saw her a few months ago, she signed my "Macross Love Story" book. And I never really feel comfortable bringing up Macross around her anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Section 1

Section 2

And here it is, the long-awaited third section of Miss DJ!!! ^_^

If you listen carefully, you'll notice that she flubs a line or two on "Yesterday." Mari's English wasn't quite as fluent then as it is now...

Speaking of flubbed lines, a lot of Minmay's commentary on the letters is, um...well, I'm not really too sure about it. If someone wants to give that part of the album a listen and PM me any corrections, I'd be grateful.

Announcer: This week’s “Hysterical Hot News!” Funny, hot news from around the city! Heart-pounding, rib-tickling news! And what kind of news has leaked out today? Okay, Minmay, let’s go: OPEN THE LETTER!

Minmay: Sure! This week, as always, everyone’s dealing with some trouble. So let’s get acquainted. First off, here’s a letter from Mr. Busato of Cross-Ship Suzuran Ave: “Y-Yesterday, in Macross Plaza, I saw something strange and horrifying. These men suddenly shouted, ‘Break it open!’ and smashed the face of a cigarette vending machine. Cigarettes started pouring out it. And then, still standing in plain view, wh-wh-WHAT? Right before my eyes, instead of smoking the cigarettes, the men started EATING them!

“Then the three men suddenly noticed me and grinned sheepishly. I was so terrified that I was struck speechless, and all I could do was force a smile.”

Hmmm…What’s he really trying to say? I really don’t understand it. Okay, I’m going to read the next letter, postmarked Kishi Gate Mae, pen-name: Lynn Min-Min.

“Eek! I’m so embarrassed to be talking about this! The other day, I was at the public bath and three guys said, ‘Excuse us,’ and then entered the bath! Oh my God, they saw me! And my ‘special place,’ too…Oh, I don’t want to say any more! The three guys walked in, not even looking ashamed and said, ‘Good evening.’ I just answered, ‘Good evening,’ too. Oh, I can’t say any more! Their faces never changed, they didn’t even look excited or anything! Totally rude, right? They completely ignored my kickin’ bod! So I got angry, but then I thought that maybe they were doing”…um…“…underwater,” Huh? “…vitality level” What? What’s this? “…breath holding exercises. Totally weird guys, right? To think they’d take my modesty! How mortifying!” All right, that’s enough of that one, let’s switch to another letter. There are a lot of them here; where was that one in the third pile…

Ah! “Aliens! Those guys HAVE to be aliens!”

Well, I read the letters, and they all seem to be about the same people. They really need a hobby, these three strange guys seem to be all over the place, and maybe coming to your area next. Be careful, everyone! But let’s move on to today, and forget yesterdays’s bad experiences, in what philosophers call “_______.”[i can’t hear this word clearly] And for everyone who’s heard about these three guys, please don’t start acting like them.

All right now! Please listen to the Beatles number “Yesterday.” And, um, today, even though I’m not very good at it, I’ll be playing piano while I sing. So please listen. “Yesterday.”

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away

Now it looks as though they're here to stay

Oh I believe in yesterday

Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be

There's a shadow hanging over me

Oh yesterday came suddenly

Why she had to go I don't know

She wouldn't say

I said something wrong now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play

Now I need a place to hide away

She wouldn't say

NEXT: The devil himself tells Minmay that she did a great job, and Shammy wants YOU...to listen to her song!

Edited by Gubaba

• 2 weeks later...

While looking over Macross Compendium, I found three more Macross dramas!

1. All Macross 7 Special

2. Macross 7: Longest Noise Day part 1 of 2

3. Macross 7: The Basara Elimination Project part 2 of 2

Looks like they are only on audio tape cassette.

Has anybody ever heard these Macross dramas?

Edited by boinger

While looking over Macross Compendium, I found three more Macross dramas!

1. All Macross 7 Special

2. Macross 7: Longest Noise Day part 1 of 2

3. Macross 7: The Basara Elimination Project part 2 of 2

Looks like they are only on audio tape cassette.

Has anybody ever heard these Macross dramas?

I searched around for them for a while, but I finally gave up...I mean, there's so much Macross-related stuff on CD that never got uploaded to the internet until you or markcell or I got their hands on it, what chance does a 1995 cassette tape given out as a promotional item have of turning up?

of course, I suppose someone could surprise us (I never thought I'd get to hear "Message from Ishtar/Mou Ichido Love You ~ Mardook Version"), but it seems really unlikely.

After EXTENSIVE searching (mostly because I imported most of the audio entries from the old macross Compendium to the new one, and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about about), all I ever found about the cassette audio dramas was on here:

http://firebomber.sakura.ne.jp/reaitem.htm

The section on "Longest Noise Day" and "The Basara Elimination Project" is right under the entry on the Hasegawa VF-22S model kit. It gives a short synopsis of the story, but it's pretty clear that whoever wrote the entry had never actually heard the cassette, so it's not like we can even e-mail him, begging for a copy.

I think that this is one of those bits of Macross lore that will remain forever lost to us, unless someone REALLY throws open the vaults and re-releases every last scrap of material.

In other words, maybe on the Macross 7 Blu-Ray set, if that ever comes out. ;)

But until then...I don't really mind. There's too much Macross 7 audio material out there already. I mean, there are SEVEN freakin' drama albums already! I don't want to have to deal with another one...

• 2 months later...

See this Link

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r49828647

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h66513585

For Sale In Japan

Markcell

I searched around for them for a while, but I finally gave up...I mean, there's so much Macross-related stuff on CD that never got uploaded to the internet until you or markcell or I got their hands on it, what chance does a 1995 cassette tape given out as a promotional item have of turning up?

of course, I suppose someone could surprise us (I never thought I'd get to hear "Message from Ishtar/Mou Ichido Love You ~ Mardook Version"), but it seems really unlikely.

After EXTENSIVE searching (mostly because I imported most of the audio entries from the old macross Compendium to the new one, and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about about), all I ever found about the cassette audio dramas was on here:

http://firebomber.sakura.ne.jp/reaitem.htm

The section on "Longest Noise Day" and "The Basara Elimination Project" is right under the entry on the Hasegawa VF-22S model kit. It gives a short synopsis of the story, but it's pretty clear that whoever wrote the entry had never actually heard the cassette, so it's not like we can even e-mail him, begging for a copy.

I think that this is one of those bits of Macross lore that will remain forever lost to us, unless someone REALLY throws open the vaults and re-releases every last scrap of material.

In other words, maybe on the Macross 7 Blu-Ray set, if that ever comes out. ;)

But until then...I don't really mind. There's too much Macross 7 audio material out there already. I mean, there are SEVEN freakin' drama albums already! I don't want to have to deal with another one...

Hmmm...too bad both of those auctions have ended.

However, given the rather poor quality of the Macross 7 CD Cinema albums (yes, I've listened to them all now, thanks to Macrosshare and iMacross IV), I would imagine that these cassettes are equally boring, if not more so.

Still, if whoever bought them on the auction transfers them to mp3 and uploads them, I'll gladly listen.

EDIT: I just realized who I was talking to...Markcell! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for making getting a complete Macross audio collection MUCH, MUCH easier! You are awesome! :D

Oh...and welcome to Macrossworld!

Edited by Gubaba

I have no idea how to bid on yahoo japan.

I thought it was exclusive to Japanese residents?

I'll do a weekly search for these tapes, but I think I would need for someone to bid for me?

Yeah, I think you do need someone in Japan to bid for you.

I don't think you should knock yourself out about them, though. If they turn up, great. If they don't, I don't think we're missing anything essential (or even terribly desirable).

• 2 months later...

Okay...finally, after a very, very, VERY long time, my work on "Miss DJ" is nearing its end. There's still a little bit in the last five minutes that's inaudible (to me) that I need to get one of my japanese friends to check, and I still need to type up most of Part 2, but I should be able to get all of that done this coming week.

I also edited some of Part 1, so I'm presenting the whole thing again...enjoy!

I have to admit, though, there are still a few things that I'm not sure I got right...so if anyone else has any corrections, I'll be happy to accept them.

Whisper of the Stars: Part 1

Female Announcer: At the tone, Macross Time will be one o’clock A.M.

Announcer: “Whisper of the Stars,” by Lynn Minmay.

Minmay: Wishing upon a star in the night sky,

I hope it will hear my thoughts.

Softly whispering this song of dreams

Into the ear of you who I love.

Dreaming night,

Starlight song.

Dreaming night,

Starlight song.

Good evening, this is Lynn Minmay. Are you tired of studying for exams, and taking a break, drinking some coffee? Or are you staying up, reading an exciting SF novel that you can't put down? Are you exhausted from work, longing to go to bed? Or are you one of our pilots, who even now are continuing to fight to protect us? I think all kinds of people are tuned in to this program…please keep listening to it for a long time!

Announcer: This program airs every Friday from 1:00 A.M. to 1:45, broadcast throughout the ship on Net 15.

Commercial 1: The young idol, Lynn Minmay, has a new single: “Silver Moon, Red Moon.” On sale now from Big Star Records.

Commercial 2: The hot jeans for YOU, the city boy with real guts! Well, that sounds a little old-fashioned, but they’re snug and comfortable and sure to be a hit! Macross Brand Army Jeans!

Commercial 3: The charged particles the drift through space are a danger to your skin! Turn your skin around to the way it was before you were twenty! Smooth moisturizer NueNue Honey!

…From tomorrow, you will captivate the eyes of men…

Commercial 4: Our target: 38 shops! Authentic Original Chinese Restaurant Nyan Nyan! Let’s eat Chinese food at Nyan Nyan! Just eat here three times, and you’ll be in the unbeatable Valkyrie speed zone! It’s true!

Announcer: This program has been made possible by our sponsers: Big Star Records, Macross Brand Army Jeans, NueNue Honey (a product of Nue Family Goods), “Our Target: 38 Shops,” the slogan for the Authentic Original Chinese Restaurant Nyan Nyan, and of course, the U.N. Spacy.

Minmay: Welcome back! Right now, I’d like to sing my debut song, “My Boyfriend Is a Pilot,” from my first LP, which was released last week. But why do they only write one version of a song? Please give a listen to “My Boyfriend is a Pilot, Number Two!”

Whoosh whoosh! Whoosh, whoosh!

My boyfriend is a pilot.

Again, today, he’s in the sky.

I’m forever looking up.

He’s aiming for that fluffy cloud floating along.

I want him to sweep me away, gently and softly,

A love flight, just him and me.

I love you. You love me?

But he’s passionate about his plane instead of me.

Whoosh, whoosh! Whoosh, whoosh!

My boyfriend is a pilot.

Minmay: Well, Mr. Fruit Punch (who requests anonymity) a resident of Macross Ginza #3, are you listening? Today I think I’ll try and answer your questions. Mr. Fruit Punch came up with some embarrassing questions for me. I’m pretty scared and my heart’s pounding, but I’ll answer the questions truthfully one by one.

Announcer: Okay, I think it’s time to invite you to “Exciting Embarrassing Question Corner!” Minmay, are you ready?

Minmay: Sure am!

Announcer: Now, Minmay, you must swear: you can’t lie or get flustered by the questions.

Minmay: Of course! I promise I’ll only tell the truth!

Announcer: Then let’s get started! Question Number One: Miss Lynn Minmay, what are your hobbies?

Minmay: Zero-G dance, and what they used to call aerobics.

Announcer: “Shaping up,” huh?

Minmay: Yes, yes.

Announcer: Your hobbies don’t hurt your career either, do they?

Minmay: True.

Announcer: Okay, Question Number Two: What are your specialties?

Minmay: I can fall asleep anywhere, I can speak Chinese, and when things are tough, I just laugh it off.

Announcer: Of course. Those are some pretty cute talents. HA HA HA, I shouldn’t talk like that, should I? Question Number Three: What sports are you good at?

Minmay: I can do a little Chinese fencing, and skydiving.

Announcer: Wow…looking at you, you look really girlish, but those are some masculine sports!

Minmay: Yes. I love being brawny!

Announcer: What kind of men do you like?

Minmay: Cheerful, kind, and manly.

Announcer: Wow, that’s great! And what type of man don’t you like?

Minmay: Guys who are stubborn. They’re the worst!

Announcer: Oh yeah, it’s true! Do you have a boyfriend?

Minmay: I just have a lot of friends.

Announcer: What kind of food do you like?

Minmay: Irish coffee, carrot cake, and, most of all…pig’s feet.

Announcer: Pig’s feet!? Anyone out there eating your own right now? Okay, what kind of food do you hate?

Minmay: Fatty foods. And although I love cake on special occasions, I have to be careful because I gain weight easily, and my legs just swell up.

Announcer: But you look and think, “Just a bit more…”

Minmay: Yeah, I do!

Announcer: And it looks so delicious! Okay, from the time you were born until now, what’s your happiest memory?

Minmay: That’s obvious! My singing debut, of course!

Announcer: And your saddest?

Minmay: When my beloved dog Gonta died.

Announcer: Did you cry?

Minmay: Oh, I sobbed forever!

Announcer: What annoys you the most right now?

Minmay: Not being able to sing anything but Part One of my debut song.

Announcer: Yeah.

Minmay: It’s too short!

Announcer: Yeah, let’s hear you sing more! Are you worried about anything right now?

Minmay: That sometimes I look ugly in photos.

Announcer: Huh? That’s not the case at all!

Minmay: No, really!

Announcer: No, you always look cute!

Minmay: You sure? Don’t lie!

Announcer: It’s true! Okay, let’s continue with the questions: Do you have any nervous habits?

Minmay: Well, I always play with my hair.

Announcer: That’s very girlish! How do you play with it?

Minmay: Um, I always twist it around my finger.

Announcer: What do you like most about your physical features?

Minmay: My hair, of course!

Announcer: It’s very pretty.

Minmay: Thank you.

Announcer: And what do you dislike the most?

Minmay: My forehead. And my short, thick legs.

Announcer: Short and thick…? Oh yeah, it’s true.

Minmay: Ahhh! You’re TERRIBLE!

Announcer: What are you most scared of?

Minmay: Mice. And my schedule.

Announcer: Wow, that’s scary!

Minmay: Yeah!

Announcer: People are always chasing after you, huh? Moving on, who would you like to meet the most?

Minmay: My parents on earth.

Announcer: How long has it been since you last saw them?

Minmay: Feels like ages.

Announcer: Besides a singer, what would you most like to be?

Minmay: A bride, of course.

Announcer: You’d definitely look great in a wedding dress.

Minmay: I want to wear one soon!

Announcer: And what are your favorite songs?

Minmay: Well, they’re a little old, but “Blue Coral Reef,” “Slow Motion,” and things like that.

Announcer: And who are your influences?

Minmay: Of famous singers, I like Seiko Matsuda. Oh, and most people probably don’t know her, but I really like Mari Iijima.

Announcer: Oh, I know her! She’s a wonderfully talented singer!

Minmay: Really? You think so?

Announcer: What was your childhood nickname?

Minmay: Cat girl.

Announcer: But…you don’t seem very cat-like…

Minmay: Really? But when I smile, my eyes look like a kitten’s.

Announcer: Oh yeah, I see it now! Next, if you could drive a battroid, what would you most like to do with it?

Minmay: Well, THAT’S obvious! I’d crash the head into Hikaru’s home!

{Announcer: Oh, I get it!

{Minmay: From the front!

Announcer: …Make a lot of trouble, huh?

Minmay: Completely smash everything up!

Announcer: And Minmay, which do you think is better for a woman’s chest – large or small?

Minmay: Hmm…well, big ones just get in the way, don’t they?

Announcer: “Get in the way…”

Minmay: But they’ve got power, right?

Announcer: I understand. Minmay, do yours get in the way? Oh sorry! They don’t, do they?

Minmay: …Terrible…

Announcer: You are often called “cutesy.” Why do you think that is?

Minmay: Hmmm…I don’t really think I’m cutesy. I think it’s just letting your girlish side show.

Announcer: I see. For you, what is singing?

Minmay: Giving a dream to everyone.

Announcer: I understand. That’s a good answer! And that’s it for the questions. Shall we hear another song now?

Minmay: Here’s a song fits me perfectly, boyfriendless and waiting at home: “Heartaches at Sweet Sixteen.”

(Ya ya ya ya, ya ya ya ya

Ya ya ya ya, ya ya ya ya)

I'm sitting all alone and feeling blue

I'm wondering if he found somebody new

Whoever thought that I'd be going through

Heartaches at sweet sixteen

(Ya ya ya ya, ya ya ya ya)

He wouldn't speak to me at school today

He made real sure to look the other way

What did I do to him, what did I say

Oh these heartaches at sweet sixteen

Can I make him care at all

I'll die if he doesn't call

No matter how my parents tease and laugh

I'll wear his ring and kiss his photograph

They just don't understand or know the half of

(Ya ya ya ya, ya ya ya ya

Ya ya ya ya, ya ya ya ya)

No matter how my parents tease and laugh

I'll wear his ring and kiss his photograph

They just don't understand or know the half of

(Ya ya ya ya, ya ya ya ya)

Announcer: This week’s “Hysterical Hot News!” Funny, hot news from around the city! Heart-pounding, rib-tickling news! And what kind of news has leaked out today? Okay, Minmay, let’s go: OPEN THE LETTER!

Minmay: Sure! This week, as always, everyone’s dealing with some trouble. So let’s get acquainted. First off, here’s a letter from Mr. Busato of Cross-Ship Suzuran Ave:

“Y-Yesterday, in Macross Plaza, I saw something strange and horrifying. These men suddenly shouted, ‘Break it open!’ and smashed the face of a cigarette vending machine. Cigarettes started pouring out of it. And then, still standing in plain view, wh-wh-WHAT? Right before my eyes, instead of smoking the cigarettes, the men started EATING them!

“Then the three men suddenly noticed me and grinning sheepishly. I was so terrified that I was struck speechless, and all I could do was force a smile.”

Hmmm…What’s he really trying to say? I really don’t understand it. Okay, I’m going to read the next letter, postmarked Kishi Gate Mae, pen-name: Lynn Min-Min.

“Eek! I’m so embarrassed to be talking about this! The other day, I was at the public bath and three guys said, ‘Excuse us,’ and then entered the bath! Oh my God, they saw me! And my ‘special place,’ too…Oh, I don’t want to say any more! The three guys walked in, not even looking ashamed and said, ‘Good evening.’ I just answered, ‘Good evening,’ too. Oh, I can’t say any more! Their faces never changed, they didn’t even look excited or anything! Totally rude, right? They completely ignored my kickin’ bod! So I got angry, but then I thought that maybe they were doing”…um…“…underwater,” Huh? “…vitality level” What? What’s this? “…breath holding exercises. Totally weird guys, right? To think they’d take my modesty! How mortifying!” All right, that’s enough of that one, let’s switch to another letter. There are a lot of them here; where was that one in the third pile…

Ah! “Aliens! Those guys HAVE to be aliens!”

Well, I read the letters, and they all seem to be about the same people. They really need a hobby, these three strange guys seem to be all over the place, and maybe coming to your area next. Be careful, everyone! But let’s move on to today, and forget yesterdays’s bad experiences, just the the philosopher Dublososky* says And for everyone who’s heard about these three guys, please don’t start acting like them.

All right now! Please listen to the Beatles number “Yesterday.” And, um, today, even though I’m not very good at it, I’ll be playing piano while I sing. So please listen. “Yesterday.”

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away

Now it looks as though they're here to stay

Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be

There's a shadow hanging over me

Oh yesterday came suddenly

She wouldn't say

She wouldn't say

Minmay: Everyone, I'm going to whisper this, but today I ended up crying. I'm not trying to be cutesy, but something happened that made me really happy. My first movie, Shao Pai Long won the Grand Cup! When we were making it, the director never said anything nice, but was always scolding me. "You're terrible! You hack! Get out of here!" He was always talking like that. He snapped and growled at the staff. The director was terrifying! The people working on the movie called him "The Devil Himself."

But today, winning the Grand Cup, this demon whispered softly to me, "You did a great job." It was only a few words, but they made me very, very happy. Even though he thought I was just a sily girl, he believed in me. In spite of myself, I started shaking. The Devil Himself taught me to be serious about my work.

Tonight, please welcome our special guest. He's strict and scary, the very cool movie director, Sho Blackstone!

Blackstone: Hello, Minmay.

Minmay: Mr. Blackstone, thanks for everything!

Blackstone: Ah, Minmay, you're as cute as always.

Minmay: Thank you! So, Mr. Blackstone, would you please talk about the content of the film?

Blackstone: Minmay, mmm, you're cute.

Minmay: Oh, Mr. Blackstone! Please say something about the making of the film.

Blackstone: Mmm, you're cute.

Minmay: Oh, stop it, Mr. Blackstone! Why are you acting so strange?

Blackstone: The production was cheap, the cinematography was bad, and I had no one but idiots for staff! But we did it!

Minmay: How can you say things like that!?

Blackstone: Because it's all true. But we ended up making an excellent movie. And Minmay, you're just too cute for words...

Minmay: Thank you for everything, Mr. Blackstone.

Blackstone: Minmay, could you do a big favor for me and please sing, "Love Drifts Away"?

Minmay: All right. Okay, here it is: "Love Drifts Away."

Time drifts away.

Love drifts away.

Looking at me so sadly,

You're off to war, without a doubt.

All the men, everyone,

As if possessed by the devil,

With mouths drawn tight, with fiery eyes,

They march in step.

I know I will be left behind,

In the name of war,

In the name of pride.

Time drifts away.

Love drifts away.

Here I am, withering away.

Time drifts away.

Love drifts away.

Looking at you so pitifully,

I shall detest war, always.

All the women, everyone,

will hold on together,

With teeth clenched, and standing firm,

For the sake of the children.

I know you will return one day.

Please stop the fight,

In the name of life.

Time drifts away.

Love drifts away.

Before I wither away.

Commercial 5: Even in space, love and courage flow. Creating a hurricane of feeling, it's the super action movie spectacle, Shao Pai Long! A production costing thirty million, drawing more than 8,000 viewers, two months in the making! Finally, Shao Pai Long! Shao Pai Long!

Will you be able to hold back your tears at the emotion of Shao Pai Long?

Minmay: Qing ni huí lái ba!

Shammy: Right now, applications are being accepted for the U.N. Forces. If you join up, you'll be given housing, uniforms, and three square meals a day. We'll also help you to become a citizen and guarantee a bright future for you!

Of course, girls can also join. We've got training courses in cooking and flower arrangement, and even a finishing school! Incredible, isn't it?

So, get into a battroid and try your hand against the Zentradi giants! Operators are standing by, hurry up and join the U.N. Spacy!

Mera-mera-mera-mera-mera-mera!**

Join up with the U.N. Spacy

Join up, join up

If you join the U.N. Spacy,

Your life will be all rose-colored!

Join up with the U.N. Spacy

Join up, join up

If you join the U.N. Spacy,

Your life will be full of happiness!

U.N. Spacy!

* At least, that's how I hear the name. My Japanese friends had no idea what name she was saying, and it's probably made up. Unless I somehow can get a copy of the script, this is the closest I can get.

**This is the sound effect for burning fire. I have no idea how to convey it in English.

NEXT: A couple of otaku need dating advice, Hikaru depresses the hell out of everyone, and AHHHG!! ZENTRADI ATTACK!!!

Oh yeah, and there's a bit about diapers and a Minmay doll. Some freaky sh*t's about to go down!

Edited by Gubaba

Gubaba, thanks for the updated translations! Can't wait for the rest. :)

Thanks! Oh, and I have to say that the Shammy bit at the end of Part One really is the absolute best thing on the entire album.

Second best is the interplay between Mari Iijima and Arihiro Hase, who really DO sound like a couple of old friends joking around. But that's for next time...this time, we've got the earliest chronological appearance of Kenji Machizaki, who Shammy threatened much later (remember? She said she'd rip his pants off, and he ran away. Yes, THAT guy.)

Whisper of the Stars: Part 2

Minmay: Yes? This is "Misery Dial 110"! If you're miserable and want to chat, I'll answer any questions you have. So welcome to Misery Date Time! This program is where we choose we get to the root of problems by choosing one of the many postcards we read from our sad friends and talk to them!

This week's Best Misery Number One is this person: he lives in Macross Inari Jinja Mae, 4th Ward. Requesting anonymity, it's Kenji Machizaki! Oh, Mr. Machizaki, I'm sorry, I said your name! I didn't mean to! Um...Okay, let's see what he wrote to us:

"I have someone I like but I've never spoken to her. The other night, I snuck into her house and stole a flower-pattern handkerchief. For a month, while thinking about the girl, I often kissed the handkerchief and rubbed it against my cheek." ...What a strange guy... "Finally, after a long time, I washed it and launched my secret project. One day, when she was out walking, I stealthily took the flower-pattern handkerchief and, at last I let it fall. 'Ah, you dropped your handkerchief,' I said. The girl smiled and softly said, 'Thank you.' I thought, 'YES! The girl picked it up. Even now, she might be rubbing her face with it, or wiping away her sweat! It makes me so happy, it's like heaven granted my wish!"

Hmmm...what should he do...kind of an unusual guy...sounds like he's got a good imagination... Ah, the telephone's connected now.

Mr. Machizaki? Thanks for your letter!

Machizaki: Hey, I'm supposed to be anonymous!

Minmay: Oh, I'm sorry! I made the same mistake before! Shall I call you Mr. M?

Machizaki: Fine.

Minmay: So, have you talked to the girl again yet?

Machizaki: No, not yet. What do you think I should do?

Minmay: Uh...wait a moment...the other line is ringing. Yes? This is "Misery Dial 110."

Guy: Thank you Minmay.

Minmay: I know that voice...This is last week's Misery Number One, isn't it? So, how did it go with the girl? Did you use the active approach?

Guy: Uh, yes, I did. Forcefully.

Minmay: Wow! Forcefully? That's right! Assertiveness is very important! Did forcefulness work?

Guy: I tackled her.

Minmay: Oh, no!

Guy: Still, in all my 38 years, it was the first time I ever kissed a girl.

Minmay: Eh? Last week, you said you were seventeen!

Guy: Nope, I'm not.

Minmay: That's bad, telling lies like that.

Guy: Farewell. Give my regards to your boyfriend, Hikaru Ichijo.

Minmay: Wait a moment, what do you mean by that?

[He hangs up]

Minmay: What a horrible guy...

Machizaki: Minmay, I gonna do it! I'm gonna show some guts!

Minmay: What are you talking about?

Machizaki: I'm going to tackle that girl forcefully!

Minmay: Wait, Mr. Machizaki! Oh! He hung up...

You'll end up humiliated. It's really, really bad. There's nothing attractive about a boy chasing after a girl, if you ask me!

It's just like this next song. Please listen: "Runner."

I won't follow it anymore,

The shadow you cast as you run away

We all keep running until the end

But we still can't see the goal.

What awaits us after today?

What awaits us beyond tomorrow?

Even now, I keep running toward

The light that shines so far away

The mood's still rolling on, so let's continue with one more song: Simon and Garfunkel's big hit, "Scarborough Fair"!

Are you going to Scarborough fair?

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

Remember me to one who lives there

She once was a true love of mine

Tell her to make me a cambric shirt

Without no seam nor needlework

Then she'll be a true love of mine

Tell her to find me an acre of land

Between the salt water and the sea strand

Then she'll be a true love of mine

NEXT: Hikaru gets nervous, and Minmay Does Dylan.

Edited by Gubaba

1000 Thank yous from me to you, Gubaba.

I had the Miss DJ CD for like almost 2 decades, and I've yet to understand most of it since I stopped learning Japanese after my schooling days ended.

Guess now it's a good time as any to hit the books again and pick up where I left off. ^_^

p.s. Those youtube links to videos of 中森明菜 and 松田聖子 sure bring back nostalgic memories for me. Also noteworthy is the Akina Nakamori video in the related column.

Also reminds me how old I am now as compared to my youth where the 1st wave of J-pop craze hits Singapore in the late 70s and early 80s. Now J-pop is superceded by K-pop (Korea) among the youths of today as Japanese stuff is no longer considered cool. Sigh... :mellow:

Yeah, I had it for a long time without understanding any of it, either. Consequently, I never really listened to it until I pulled it out of mothballs last year....and lo! I discovered I could understand a good percentage of it.

Of course, the bits that I couldn't understand have been a real pain...

Anyway, here's the next part:

Minmay: Something that "Misery" old man said really upset me. Lt. Ichijo is really nothing more than a good friend. He and I have exchanged many letter, and I thought I'd invite him here.

So, in tonight's guest corner, U.N. Spacy Valkyrie Air Force, Vermillion Squadron Leader, 1st Lt. Hikaru Ichijo has made a special visit here! Good evening!

Hikaru: Oh, uh, good evening. This is Hikaru Ichijo. Well, truly, I didn't really expect to appear on this kind of program, there are always so many rumors about Minmay in the weekly tabloids and things. I don't want to add to that...but, well, I'm here. So, uh, er, what should we talk about?

Minmay: Well, we can talk about anything you'd like, just as thought it were just the two us chatting together. The listeners will be able to feel if we're just friends, or if we're boyfriend and girlfriend or something like that.

Hikaru: Oh! Well, uh, yeah. We have to give them a feeling...

Minmay: So what should we do? Are you not going to talk tonight?

Hikaru: No, that's not it. It's just...I mean, here you are, right in front of me...

Minmay: Ha! Are you nervous?

Hikaru: What? I'm a soldier, and, and a man! Of course I'm not nervous!

Minmay: Hey, Hikaru, remember when we were trapped for two weeks inside the belly of the Macross?

Hikaru: Mm.

Minmay: Well, there was a lot of gossip then, too. What did you think about it all?

Hikaru: Oh yeah, what did we do then? You can't really do anything about rumors, can you?

Minmay: That's right.

Hikaru: We were thrown out suddenly into space. We were too busy worrying about our safety, and our homes. We were like small children, just playing.

Minmay: I mean, I was born in Yokohama, so when I was small, I was always around the ocean. So I never saw anything except the sea.

Hikaru: Oh yeah, that reminds me...something I've heard people humming sometimes. "Harbor-Viewing"...something or other.

Minmay: Ah! "Harbor-Viewing Hill"?

Hikaru: Yeah, yeah, that's it!

Minmay: Wow, that song's really old. I used to hear it from my grandmother!

Hikaru: That's great. I want to hear you sing it.

Minmay: I forget how it goes.

Hikaru: Aw, please.

Minmay: All right, let me try it and see.

The hill that we came to together

Is Harbor-Viewing Hill

There's just a single, faded cherry blossom

Lonely, it bloomed.

A boat's whistle. If you're sobbing,

There are flower petals here and there

They're about to fall on you and me

On this spring afternoon.

Hikaru; Ah, that really takes me back. I told you that my father had an acrobat team, right? So from the time I was little, I always loved planes. So at some point...when was it? Anyway, Focker Sempai joined the team. That was my first time in a plane, sitting in the back seat. I was amazed by the pure blue of the sky, and that loud BUZZZZ of the propeller. After that, everywhere, anywhere, I wanted to fly...I felt that need.

Minmay: Really...

Hikaru: But then, well, my father died in an accident. And Focker Sempai also...well, yeah. And even Kakizaki...So memories, well, I try not...um, you know.

Minmay: Something like that, right? Old memories just bring you down.

Hikaru: Yeah. That's it.

Minmay: Hey, Hikaru. Let's get you feeling better. What do you want to sing?

Hikaru: M...Me!?

Minmay: Of course! I need you to help me out!

Hikaru: Singing!?

Minmay: Yep, singing!

Hikaru: Minmay...your requests are pretty unusual, you know. Well...okay.

Minmay: Okay!

Hikaru: Let's do it!

Minmay: Great!

Hikaru: So, let's see...do you know the song "Blowin' in the Wind"?

Minmay: Yeah, I do! In fact, my program director LOVES that song!

Hikaru: Really!

Minmay: Should we sing it as a trio? Is that all right, Director?

Director: OK, that's fine!

Minmay: Well, then...let's go Peter, Paul and Mary style!

Hikaru: That's right!

Minmay: "Blowin' in the Wind."

How many roads must a man walk down

Before you call him a man?

How many seas must a white dove sail

Before she sleeps in the sand?

How many times must the cannon balls fly

Before they're forever banned?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,

The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many times must a man look up

Before he can see the sky?

How many ears must one man have

Before he can hear people cry?

How many deaths will it take till he knows

That too many people have died?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,

The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Minmay: Wow, that's the first time I've heard you sing, Hikaru.

Hikaru: I'm really embarrassed!

Minmay: No, you were good!

Hikaru: You're joking. Was I really okay?

Minmay: Of course. You sang really well.

Hikaru: Well, maybe...

I have to say, I find Arihiro Hase and Mari Iijima's duet of "Blowin' the the Wind" rather touching in hindsight.

And um...I think there's a little continuity hiccup here, in that...well, souldn't Hikaru be Skull Suqadron Leader at this point, rather than Vermillion Leader...?

Anyway, NEXT: ZENTRADI ATTACK!! And the ORIGINAL "Triangler" is all present for it! PLUS: Minmay asks EXACTLY the wrong question! Claudia speaks! Global hyperbolizes! AND KIM GETS MENTIONED BUT NEVER ACTUALLY SAYS A WORD!!! AND THE PROMISED FREAKY FOUR-WAY WITH THE MINMAY DOLL AND DIAPERS!!!! YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS IT!!!!!

Edited by Gubaba