Veritech RF-26 AAC concept, sketches to follow

RF-26AAC

I sure hope this isn't taboo, but I had the idea a few days ago.

pre-Macross F era, prototype Valkyrie fighter. It's not like it hasn't happened before (like where did the damn VF-27 come from!?)

RF-26 AAC Variant.

Era: 2040-2045

Origin: Macross Frontier Colony Fleet

Manufacturer: LAI/General Galaxy

Variable Anti-Aircraft/Combat fighter.

Intended useage: Subatmospheric and high-speed spaceflight

Alternate modes: Gerwalk, Battroid

Armament: 4x10mm armor piercing gatling guns (nose mounted), 1xTriple Barrel Melee Shotgun, 2x Energy Machete [battroid only]

Thrust: 10x small manuevering verniers [various locations], 8X medium manuvering verniers (back of calves) [battroid/gerwalk only], 2x supplementary thrusters (aft/feet), 2X primary thrusters (aftward amidships)

Braking: Thrust reversal, air brakes, reverse verniers.

Power: twin compacted/tuned VF-25 reaction drive engines.

Lift: swing wings in separate and delta-wing configurations, two 45* lean vertical stabilizers, 2x horizontal stabilizers.

Description:

Designed with both atmospheric flight, reentry and deep space technology in mind, it is intended as a high-speed interceptor fighter, equipped with very light armor and light weaponry as an aircraft.

The cockpit is quite large for high visibility outward, but reinforced for moderate pilot protection.

Equipped with standard energy-conversion armor, and can accommodate a pilot and passenger.

Originally, I wanted to design a fan-racer based veritech, but found size to be an obstacle, and the usage of such a craft would be so limited, I opted to go a different direction.

Instead, the vehicle is a long nosed vehicle, somewhat similar to the SR-71 and FA/22C aircrafts.

This is not a VTOL capable craft in aircraft mode. It is, however, capable of VTOL as a Gerwalk and Battroid. It is a swing-wing aircraft, with wings that can sweep backwards to connect with the rear horizontal stabilizer fins creating a larger delta-wing type surface for extreme high-speed atmospheric flight. Much like the current space shuttle, the leading edges of the craft are armored more heavily to withstand the challenges of reentry. This is a craft CLEARLY designed for high speed-- hence, it suffers in maneuverability on its own, thus necessitating a number of vernier jets placed at strategic points all over the craft..

The major weakpoint of the craft is armor and armament. If hit by the energy beam emitted by red-type Vajra, the craft undoubtedly would be destroyed, whether in aircraft or battroid configuration.

It is not designed for a long range battle; it's designed for high speed subatmospheric and space aerial combat, and high speed melee, serving more of a scout function than a frontline soldier.

Powered by the a tuned and size-reduced version of the VF-25 prototype engines.

Unfortunately, at this time the fighter does not have a FAST pack. It is mostly unnecessary, though, as the craft is designed with space flight in mind. It is, however, be equipped with a single experimental-type realtime fold booster, carried under the chassis (as opposed to being over-the-cockpit) mounted.

I am currently developing the drawings. They don't suck.

In Battroid mode, the focus of the craft shifts from extreme speed to manueverability and melee-type combat. It is equipped with a variety of powerful (yet short range) weaponry and carries an elongated energy knife (think Orc sword from LOTR). It is approximately the size of a shorter macronized Zentraedi.

Control is handled through a direct-neural interface, which is forbidden aboard the Frontier. (like LEI cares)

As this is an experimental craft, the pilot has extraordinary control over the vehicle, but at the same time, does not allow for emergency ejection-- if the craft is destroyed, the pilot will die if interfaced. The downside is that the pilot *feels* the unit's pain.

Complementary to the neural interface is the cockpit anti-gravity generation system. By producing its own gravity field within the cockpit, the pilot is not subjected to extreme g-forces and consequently is not subject to blackout.

This allows for super-intricate control and manuevering quicker than the body could physically react on its own and allows you to exceed the limitations of the human body in other craft.

Overall, the RF-26 AAC is very effective, but was ultimately dropped in favor of the more reliable and durable VF-25 messiah series and never made it past the prototype stage.

As it is a one-off, the spare parts and their quantities are quite limited, hence, there is only and likely, will only ever be a single RF-26 produced. If damaged, it will likely be destroyed as it is likely not repairable.

This is a Valkyrie not so much about practicality as it was speed, grace and passionate melee killfests.

For those of you who are car nuts, it's like a Ferrari P4/5... it's expensive, it's good looking, and there was only one built. Much like a one-off Ferrari (or any Alfa-Romeo for that matter) It's very finnicky and fussy and sensitive, but has more soul than your average mecha.

In addition to weak armor, the unit is also unreliable on startups due to the finely-tuned nature of the engine and extreme handling. Because it was a test-mule prototype, the function beneath the skin isn't that great either and the dash controls are highly susceptable to failure.

EDIT:

Sketches added, from design to production. No scanner, so I had to just snap photos.

I started the aircraft design by using the Aurora fighter from C&C generals though several other craft were in the running...

I toyed around with several concepts for transformations but ultimately settled on a more-or-less YF-19 style transformation with a few minor modifications, primarily concerning the upper torso and the size of the cockpit relative to the chest.

The size of the cockpit presented me a challenge because when it's big relative to the rest of the craft, you can't hide it anywhere. So, for Battroid cockpit sheilding I chose to use a shutter-type design that slides over the cockpit.

post-9466-1221083770_thumb.jpg

post-9466-1221083804_thumb.jpg

post-9466-1221083828_thumb.jpg

post-9466-1221083843_thumb.jpg

Edited by RF-26AAC

I think it would be best if you didn't call it a "Veritech" as some people don't like Robotech very much. Other than that I would love to see a fan designed Valkyrie.

Sorry mate, I'm RT native just now fully getting the idea that the two are completely different.

I grew up watching the first four episodes of RT over and over and over again (because I didn't have anything else), that and transformers.

Got a hold of Macross Zero, F, DYRL and am currently dl'ing the original series.

I am loving Macross F, but the only thing I don't like is their strange usage of cars.

Did anybody else notice Skull leader has a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 4WD rally car? (and other times you see old Lexus LS400 series limousines)

Doesn't change the fact that the mecha works the same way, regardless though. :)

So anyhow I'll call it a Valkyrie.

Best,

RF-26 AAC

Edited by RF-26AAC

Yeah, one would think that by the time 2050 rolled around they'll have more futuristic cars flying around. Lol.

I think it's unrealistic that there's a LANCIA still RUNNING in 2050!!

(notoriously unreliable cars, you know)

The cars are most likely replicas or reconditioned units. It is apparent by the sounds they make that they don't use internal combustion engines anymore (thank goodness).

The cars are most likely replicas or reconditioned units. It is apparent by the sounds they make that they don't use internal combustion engines anymore (thank goodness).

If it was reconditioned I'm still surprised its working.

And yes, I noticed EVERY car in MacrossF is somehow turbine powered.

I guess the Ford Nucleon finally caught on XD!!!

I finished sketching out the battroid configuration of the vehicle today, almost like a miniature YF-19 but there are very obvious design differences with the torso and actual transformation mechanism. The wings fold behind the back as do the vertical stabilizers a-la VF-1X series, but the cockpit remains horizontal like the YF-19.

Sketched out the shotgun, as well, and decided to add a single machinegun barrel to the gunpod, totalling out at four. The machinegun is there for dogfighting purposes.

I think the vehicle will end up being around 3/4 VF-19/VF-25 series size.

If it was reconditioned I'm still surprised its working.

And yes, I noticed EVERY car in MacrossF is somehow turbine powered.

I guess the Ford Nucleon finally caught on XD!!!

I finished sketching out the battroid configuration of the vehicle today, almost like a miniature YF-19 but there are very obvious design differences with the torso and actual transformation mechanism. The wings fold behind the back as do the vertical stabilizers a-la VF-1X series, but the cockpit remains horizontal like the YF-19.

Sketched out the shotgun, as well, and decided to add a single machinegun barrel to the gunpod, totalling out at four. The machinegun is there for dogfighting purposes.

I think the vehicle will end up being around 3/4 VF-19/VF-25 series size.

Instead of one "uber gun" how about several mission specific guns. In the 2059's they have role and mission specific weaponry loadouts on the new gen of fighters.

A Valk can always grab a new gunpod during re-arming. Gundamites tend to pack on the weaponry for their MS which appears to be the norm in that universe....

Instead of one "uber gun" how about several mission specific guns. In the 2059's they have role and mission specific weaponry loadouts on the new gen of fighters.

A Valk can always grab a new gunpod during re-arming. Gundamites tend to pack on the weaponry for their MS which appears to be the norm in that universe....

A valid point, I wanted to equip it primarily with a shotgun but thought, hm, when I play Rainbow Six Vegas II, I ALWAYS need a machine gun or SOMETHING that is somewhat useful at a distance, shotguns suck over distance but nothin's better short range!!

A shotgun might be pretty effective against vajra, especially if you keep changing what's in the shells... ;)

I am almost happy enough with the sketches to post em.

RF-26 AAC

It kind of reminds me of the Logan and the mysterious Macross Galaxy fighter/transport from Frontier Ep5. Really nice job going from your pencil roughs to the detailed marker drawing. That seems to be the step I never get to. Maybe this'll inspire me to finish my VAF-10 concept. Look forward to seeing the battroid inked out! Great work!

I kinda like the sketches you made, especially the YF-19-esque version. The fighter looks a little too science-fiction-like for a Macross valkyrie, but interesting nonetheless. Maybe it would make a good alternative valkyrie. Not a main variable fighter, but something like the VA-3 Invader or VF-14 Vampire.

I kinda like the sketches you made, especially the YF-19-esque version. The fighter looks a little too science-fiction-like for a Macross valkyrie, but interesting nonetheless. Maybe it would make a good alternative valkyrie. Not a main variable fighter, but something like the VA-3 Invader or VF-14 Vampire.

It's a one-off prototype from the M7-MF Era.

The detailed marker drawing isn't mine, it's where I got the idea from, it's the Aurora Fighter from C&C Generals, which I modified on the drawing and figured out how it was going to transform.

The battroid legs/primary thrusters fold up beneath the chassis with the intakes positioned just aft of the cockpit, and the thruster nozzles end up just underneath the rear horizontal stabilizers.

I need to turn them so they look right, I just got lazy yesterday, haha.

Glad to hear the support;

If there is enough interest I might make more.

Best,

RF-26 AAC

It's a one-off prototype from the M7-MF Era.

The detailed marker drawing isn't mine, it's where I got the idea from, it's the Aurora Fighter from C&C Generals, which I modified on the drawing and figured out how it was going to transform.

The battroid legs/primary thrusters fold up beneath the chassis with the intakes positioned just aft of the cockpit, and the thruster nozzles end up just underneath the rear horizontal stabilizers.

I need to turn them so they look right, I just got lazy yesterday, haha.

Glad to hear the support;

If there is enough interest I might make more.

Best,

RF-26 AAC

I actually prefer your version. The fighter picture with the intakes poking underneath the front and the engines out the back looks like a design that could really go some where conceptually. It has a very F-22 Raptor feel to it. The nose poking out the front torso in Battroid mode with a canopy shield on it is kind cool.

At worst it's interesting and different. You can't go wrong from a starting point like that. I'd say keep going and see what you come up with.

Impressive design.... I am an Aerospace Engineering student so this is the kind of thing that really gets me going. I love seeing people designing their own things, their ideas and all that. It is an unusual shape for a Valkyrie but I like it, a lot of though went into this. I say more pics, some gerwalk as well. Keep up the work, this is good stuff.

If I had any drawing ability I would be posting a lot of my own designs (I actually have not done a Valkyrie concept of my own, but I have hundreds of other things). I may do a Valkyrie concept now, but most of my stuff has been locked away in my head. I just can't draw well enough. Ironic isn't it, the guy that is studying to be an engineer has trouble with drawing... I'll have to get better at it at some point. I'm not too bad with technical 2D drawings actually but I cannot do three dimensional drawings if my life depended on it. I mostly design space craft from small transports to large battle cruisers and everything in between but it doesn't mean much if I can't articulate it into a visual medium I suppose.

Well anyway you are doing good with this one, looking forward to seeing something more.

Edited by Master Dex

Impressive design.... I am an Aerospace Engineering student so this is the kind of thing that really gets me going. I love seeing people designing their own things, their ideas and all that. It is an unusual shape for a Valkyrie but I like it, a lot of though went into this. I say more pics, some gerwalk as well. Keep up the work, this is good stuff.

If I had any drawing ability I would be posting a lot of my own designs (I actually have not done a Valkyrie concept of my own, but I have hundreds of other things). I may do a Valkyrie concept now, but most of my stuff has been locked away in my head. I just can't draw well enough. Ironic isn't it, the guy that is studying to be an engineer has trouble with drawing... I'll have to get better at it at some point. I'm not too bad with technical 2D drawings actually but I cannot do three dimensional drawings if my life depended on it. I mostly design space craft from small transports to large battle cruisers and everything in between but it doesn't mean much if I can't articulate it into a visual medium I suppose.

Well anyway you are doing good with this one, looking forward to seeing something more.

I also have an alternavalk based VERY loosely on the Mig 144. The canards on that will be come the chestplate, though with a delta wing it's kinda hard to get rid of them, so I think they'll have to go off to the side VF-19 style but it's a very valk friendly design.

I'd like to see your ideas for how to make some of these things work;

The key problem with these damn valkyries is that I *must* include a Gerwalk version!!!

It's not a valkyrie without a gerwalk configuration.

I'll go ahead and doodle up a Gerwalk config.

Anyways it's a loose design from which I can draw something else,

If I had any drawing ability I would be posting a lot of my own designs (I actually have not done a Valkyrie concept of my own, but I have hundreds of other things). I may do a Valkyrie concept now, but most of my stuff has been locked away in my head. I just can't draw well enough.

I have that exact problem. Lots of ideas in my head and no skill to put it on paper or a computer. Lol.

I could probably learn computer drafting abilities in my trade to effectively design things but drawing ability would be very helpful.

I also have an alternavalk based VERY loosely on the Mig 144. The canards on that will be come the chestplate, though with a delta wing it's kinda hard to get rid of them, so I think they'll have to go off to the side VF-19 style but it's a very valk friendly design.

I'd like to see your ideas for how to make some of these things work;

The key problem with these damn valkyries is that I *must* include a Gerwalk version!!!

It's not a valkyrie without a gerwalk configuration.

I'll go ahead and doodle up a Gerwalk config.

Anyways it's a loose design from which I can draw something else,

I did a psedo-Valk design based off a MiG once. It actually wasn't designed to be a Macross valkyrie but it was inspired by them for something else so I was adding gerwalks. However I was putting less emphasis on gerwalks for these because they were supposed to be technologically lacking in that department compared to Macross valkyries. Long story really.

Canards on the chest, reminds me of the VF-9, except that is wings on the chest. I don't much care for the VF-9, but canards on the chest will probably look better than the main wings.

Ideas on how to make these work? You mean design wise or as in how to make them fly? I figure you mean the first but I'm just curious. I like to look at all aspects sometimes.

Yeah, valks need gerwalks really, it's kind of a staple. I once did a concept for a movie Jetfire, long before any information about TF2 came out. Ironically after extensive mental retooling (meaning I was changing the design in my head, I do that a lot) the jet mode ended up looking close to an SR-71, and now Jetfire is supposed to be in Revenge of the Fallen as an SR-71. Perhaps I have ESP, lol. Of course that has never been explicitly confirmed beyond an SR-71 transformer being in the movie, no official source said it was Jetfire, people are just hoping.

interesting design, though it's kinda hard to make out where the transformy parts go.

i used to sketch up my own valk designs too. back when i was young :D

i don't quite remember if i broke my brain figuring out the transformy math, but yeah, it takes a lot of thinking.

much more thinking than usual :wacko:

keep going at it, eventually, you're gonna be able to draw up a masterpiece ^_^

This thread is giving me funny ideas of drawing up my own valk :p

Ok, I got Lego Digital Designer today and I am going to get Google SketchUp and try to render it in 3d so you guys can kinda understand where I am going with it, and also because I want to see whether or not I can make it have the dimensions I want it to have without it looking ridiculous.

Best,

RF-26 AAC

• 2 weeks later...

Designed the RF-31 LRF today; but left the fold boosters out of the design for now but will add them in at some point.

I have the sketches completed, just gotta get photos now.

The leg and chest transformation is very similar to the old VF-1 but the arms take some cues from the VF-4 and VF-14 Vampire, hybridizing the SR-17 appearance with an F-117 Stealth Fighter, a little bit. The wings did what I wanted them to, by using a wing relocation assembly sourced from the YF-19. The forearms now double as auxiliary thrusters and as per the norm with valks, the fists are totally retractable. Gerwalk mode will not be too radically different from the VF-1.

For continuity's sake I will also be inverting the wings I drew up so that it matches my original description of the craft. Most of the transformation is still consistent.

Legs are FAST-pack equippable, and fold boosters (which will couple to the forearms) can be swapped out for alternate propulsion systems or omitted altogether.

The forearms/shoulder assemblies are integrated into the rear delta wing. Twin vertical stabilizers are used, and attached to the forearms.

I will have more for you all later.

Thanks for letting me share with you :)

Edited by RF-26AAC

Hmmm,

But will Rhynn Kohler use the RF-31's awesome powers for good?

Or for EVIL?

^_^

Fun backstory, can't wait to see some pics. BTW, did you write the story using "poo" or have we received the "Robocop edited for TV" version?

Edited by Kelsain

Completely made it up.

I set the timeframe between Mac F and Mac Dynamite 7. I haven't seen dynamite 7 yet but I'm up-to-speed on MacF and mecha technologies.

I found my digicam this morning so I'll finally get some pics of the LRF up.

At this point (after watching all of SDF:M and DYRL) I have seen RT for the travesty that it is.

Even that game is a travesty; the Macross M3 game I bought for dreamcast ages ago flies better, has more craft and just.. was better, in every conceivable way.

Now that I have the basic craft laid out I really ought to sit down and do some *really good* lineart for it but given that I sketch these at lunch with minimal supplies that kind of limits my capabilities.

Thanks for reading, and I haven't decided whether the RF-31 LRF will be good or evil. It's certainly not terribly powerful, but pirates aren't known for having the most up-to-date equipment.

I got the idea for the RF-31 disappearing in transit because of all the prototype cars and trucks or retired concept cars/trucks that "fall off the truck" or "missed the scrapper"... hence why there is an AWD Ford Thunderbird still in existence, one of three 1997 SVT thunderbirds dodged the bullet, the 1989 Fiero GTU concept (and its notchback, bastard cousin) escaped the crusher, along with quite a few other special manufacturer test-bed vehicles that never quite made it to the scrapper...

I don't really know where to go with it, just... felt like writing, I suppose. The quality kinda slid downhill towards the end because my lunchbreak was ending >_<

I'll go ahead and get those sketches up.

-RF-26 AAC

pictures are here!

Bear with me here as I just finalized the transformation and shape, now I have to get into it with line drawings and detailwork, but you can see where the RF-31 is going and what Kohler looks like.

Looks like a cross between the VF-22 and the VF-4, interesting.

The original looked too lightning-ish.

Can anyone recommend a good CAD drafting program like the old Clarisworks?

Depends on how advanced you want it to be. I know a few like SolidWorks and Catia, but they are used by engineers so they would cost you a pretty penny. Very likely you want something less advanced than these.