Live Action Movies with Giant Robot/Mecha Thread

fifbeat

Not sure if there is a thread dedicated to these types of movies yet (if there is, feel free to erase and direct), but I think this forum needs one. Especially with all the new movies supposedly coming out (Roboteh, Voltron) and the sudden popularity of these types of films ignited by the recent Transformers Live action flick.

I want to start out by posting a link to a Filipino film called "RESIKLO" that appears to have some decent action scenes that involve giant adobo-type robots. Not bad for a low budget Tagalog flick.

WARNING: the trailer contains very violent images of destruction which are not suitable for non-filipinos.

resiklo_poster.gif

Trailer Link:

Haven't actually seen this one, but I remember seeing copies at the video store and comic shops back in the day. It's got all the makings of a "cult-classic" B-movie.

gunhed_jk.jpg

--"In the early 2030's, mankind discovered a new substance, Texmexium, which enabled the entire world to be controlled by a new generation of supercomputers.

Because of the danger of its misuse, supplies of Texmexium were kept under heavy guard at the hyper-nuclear facilities that power every major city."

Texmexium?! OMG. Sounds like some proprietary ingredient found at Taco Bell. <_< It's hard not to crack a smile at that one. Go on--just try to say it with a straight face.

Apparently one of the earlier attempts at melding Japanese sci-fi with western movie-making. Lots of cyberpunk elements. Love how the crew's ship is a Boeing B-17 grafted onto some wierd space-shuttle-thingy rear end.

Found a clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFEhiV4mgs

Ah yes, Japanese sci-fi miniature modeling and rockets-on-strings SFX at its finest....

Nooo G-Saviour nooooOoOoo!!

And its funny how the captions on the Robot JOX poster has nothing to do with what really Robot JOX is about. Part man part machine? :lol:

True that. And that poster SUX. The regular one is better.

Robojox.jpg

:lol::lol:

OMG. is this for real? never saw this poster before, but that tagline cracked me up BIG TIME!! "Too wild!!" :lol:

oh my, never thought that RESIKLO would ever get posted on the MW forums! haha. even I haven't seen it. :p

but now, i'm dying to see that Super Robot Red Baron!! :D and i saw that japanese spiderman before. spidey in a mecha, what a trip! :)

I have a DVD of Returner at home, but I haven't seen it. it's about mecha?

Edited by dreamweaver13

I just remember how badly I wanted that Gundam: war for earth video game and I could not find it anywhere 10 years ago.

It looks pretty neat with the cgi mobile suits. The ham acting and the bad japanese dub don't help. I almost wish that somebody posted up on youtube all 40 minutes of the video game to make a complete movie, but I've seen enough gundam for my lifetime.

Thanks!

I did a google search on the 0079 video game. The game is only 30 minutes, so what's on youtube is the whole video game story.

Here's a review of the 0079 video game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/review/R33843.html

The japanese voice actors are the same from the anime, but the voices don't match well with the bad acting.

There's also mecha in Matrix 2 and 3 and Aliens II with Ripley taking on the alien queen.

I did a google search on the 0079 video game. The game is only 30 minutes, so what's on youtube is the whole video game story.

Here's a review of the 0079 video game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/review/R33843.html

The japanese voice actors are the same from the anime, but the voices don't match well with the bad acting.

There's also mecha in Matrix 2 and 3 and Aliens II with Ripley taking on the alien queen.

Yeah I recall playing it almost a decade ago (i think) and thinking it was more of a short CGI movie rather than a game. Liked it nonetheless... I recall it was an English dubbed version of the game with rather cheesy voices (whiny Amuro)

Edited by nemesis_trooper

Bah, this tread makes me want to watch Robo Jox again :angry: First time I saw it I was excited since I was thinking like "cool, a BattleTech movie".... :lol:

Talking about live action movies with giant robots, I wonder why Power Ranger:the movie hasn't been mentioned yet. (run...)

Bah, this tread makes me want to watch Robo Jox again :angry: First time I saw it I was excited since I was thinking like "cool, a BattleTech movie".... :lol:

Talking about live action movies with giant robots, I wonder why Power Ranger:the movie hasn't been mentioned yet. (run...)

ask and ye shall recieve

Mighty_Morphin_Power_Rangers.jpg

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJeOdQlF0Q

I remember seeing it in theaters kids started bawling when Zordon died (it's like come on the whole "to a ninja anything is possible, of course they're going to revive him with ninja magic... shut up" which is kinda the same thing I thought when they started bawling when Ash died in the first pokemon movie (can't belive I ever sat through "pikachu's vacation" "short" in theatres, that's so many minutes I'll never get back)).

Anyway it's actually a fairly important film, in terms of special effects production, because it was for this movie that the modern green screen was first used (because the blue screen didn't work with billy's blue armor).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hahaha holly crap, japanese mecha live action is so bad and cheesy you have to watch it to the end just for the hell of it...anyone remember some old ass movie that's like a terminator/robocop rip off about a a guy who is transformed into a robot, except he's human but from the waist down he's like a tank and his arm was like a rocket launcher or something

I think it was called the eliminator or something, hahaha