Macross Plus valk weaponry

I recently watched macross plus the movie version again but there are some things Ive always wondered about on the YF-19 and 21. Where are the missles stored on them? They seem to come outta nowwhere and appear out of thin air when they shoot out.

Does anybody have a diagram or a picture that shows the weapon compartments for these two valks and that shows where the weapons are stored? There doesnt seem to be much room on the valk for missle storage so id like to know.

Well, time to take over March's job and explain it to ya. :)

Since both YF-19 and YF-21 has difference methods to fire their missiles, I will discuss each plane at one time.

Part 1: YF-19 "Alpha One"

According to Macross Mecha Manual,

Bombs & Missiles:

• 2 x Stonewell/Roice B-7 standard internal pallets (mounted ventral side fuselage in Fighter mode, lower legs in GERWALK/Battroid modes) featuring air-to-air/air-to-ground general-purpose micro-missile pallets, Bifors BMM-24 all-regime high-maneuverability micro-missile cluster, OR 2 x [4 x] B-19A YF-19-exclusive internal weapons pallets.

So it means that in YF-19, missiles are stored internally, which you won't able to see. The pictures below shows where they are launched: (exit port for missiles are highlighted in red, green are place where the missiles are stored)

Battroid Mode

Fighter Mode

Like previous variable fighters, YF-19 can be equipped with FAST Pack, which provided additional missiles. Again from Macross Mecha Manual:

Optional Armament:

• 2 + 2 x all-environment FAST Pack conformal propellant tanks and weapon packs with micro-missiles.

Here the pic, showing YF-19 with FAST Pack with exit ports highlighted in red:

Battroid Mode

Fighter Mode

That's all for YF-19! Coming up is the YF-21! :)

Part 2: YF-21 "Omega 1"

Just like YF-19, YF-21 also feature internal-stored missiles, although where they're stored are quite different with YF-19. According to Macross Mecha Manual:

Bombs & Missiles:

• 4 x internal Bifors BML-02S YF-21-exclusive all-environment rapid-fire micro-missile launchers featuring exit ports from forward dorsal section to the sides of the engine nacelles (mounted in central dorsal section).

Here's the picture showing the exit port of the missiles. Notice the black diamond-shaped thing on the back of Battroid Mode and the central dorsal on the Fighter Mode? That's where the missiles come from:

Battroid Mode

Fighter Mode

Just like the YF-19, YF-21 can be equipped with FAST Pack. Acccording to Macross Mecha Manual:

Optional Armament:

• 4 x all-environment FAST Pack weapon packs with micro-missiles.

Again, here's the picture of both the Battroid Mode and Fighter Mode. Notice those diamond-shaped thing on the leg storage bay cover panels on battroid mode and on the fighter mode? Those are the exit ports for the missiles.

Battroid Mode

Fighter Mode

BTW, do visit Macross Compendium and Macross Mecha Manual for more information about YF-19, YF-21, and everything about Macross! Use the Newbie Thread if you have questions like this in the future, since it's created for newbie questions like yours. :)

Hope this two posts helps to answer your question!

EDIT: Btw, I use images from Macross Mecha Manual and do some editing for pictures of YF-19. is that ok with you, March?

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Another point: the only instance (at least, as far as I remember) when YF-19 and YF-21 are shown using their missiles is their dogfight on Earth at the near end of the movie. During that moment, both planes are equipped with FAST Pack, which can explain why they seems to fire more missiles than they seems able to store, as a large number of these missiles comes from the FAST Pack. :)

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Now if only we can figure out in the VF-25 has any missiles not including fast packs, and if so where does it hide them. I want to believe it has some missiles of its own but the more we see, the more it seems it only has any due to fast packs. It is designed to be a slim profile though...

Also, not mentioned, the YF-19 can pop open it's leg ports by hinging the fast packs so the missles can clear. I think there's a brief shot of this in either episode 3 or 4. It's been a while since I watched Macross Plus...

Also, not mentioned, the YF-19 can pop open it's leg ports by hinging the fast packs so the missles can clear. I think there's a brief shot of this in either episode 3 or 4. It's been a while since I watched Macross Plus...

I think you meant this:

(Click for bigger pic)

t1779408_vlcsnap59425.jpg

I think you meant this:

(Click for bigger pic)

t1779408_vlcsnap59425.jpg

Actually, it's more like the FAST pack connects to the panel of the 19 in a such a way that when the internal missile bay doors open, the FAST packs swing with the doors.