Why do Varitechs/Valkries have bright colors?

vito

Welcome to the forum :) This is the Movie and TV section, so I gather you must be asking about movies and tv.

Please don't ask about Varitechs because this risks giving people heart attacks :)

As to Valkyrie - in both Macross movies and TV series, Valkyrie have a variety of colors, not just bright ones.

Generallyspeaking, though, I doubt whether camouflage via paint color is really even a consideration in space warfare. I would imagine that stealth capacities would be more important.

In the SDFM TV and DYRL, the Valkyrie did roughly have real world colors - the only bright ones were the training Valkyrie.

In Macross 7, the Fire Bomber Valkyrie had bright colors because they were the private property of crazy artists who liked to custom paint their valkyrie.

In Macross Frontier, we once again return to standard "military" color Valkyrie.

Yamato has produced numerous Valkyrie figures and toys with special military paint jobs.

I recomend the Low Vis. version 2 VF-1A in 1/48 scale.

VFTF1

Militaries themselves can't really decide whether or not camouflaging their planes actually have any effect on combat effectiveness since most combat is radar based anyways. Best thing to do seems to be no paint and just polishing the metal, shaves off like 100 pounds and improves aerodynamics.

Why do Varitechs/Valkries have bright colors?, should they have some camouflage like real world air craft, I know that it is anime, it should be colorful. Do you have any idea?

From a non-story perspective, it makes it easier to tell who's on screen. If you're watching a VF-1J in Macross dodging incoming fire, then if it's blue you instantly realize that Max is piloting it without needing a close-up of the pilot. Conversely, if the VF-1J is red then you know that it's Millia.

The level of technology in the future makes camoflauge useless. Enemies will detect you 10,000 km away before your eyes could even see anything.

The low-visibility variation toys are mostly just gimmicks.

Besides, when most of the battle is taking place in space, wouldn't it make more sense to make all your fighters pure black instead?

Lets see

1. To make the enemy think they have a chance as they can spot their easy prey that much easier

2. Valkyrie pilots do it to draw attention so they get more kilss ( Max and Miria anyone)

3. Cause military schemes wer sooo last fall

4. To be unique, who wants to be part of the crowd anyway

5. Cause military schemes = cannon fodder (seems the enemy kilss off the planes hardest to see first, either that or weapons lock to those colors better)

6. Cause other military paint colors are too expensive

7. Cause it helps you distinguish Friend from Foe easier at Mach 22+ combat speeds

8. So you dont blend in to the blackness of space and get hit by friendly fire cause they didnt see you there

9. So you can see you own fighter good against the darkness of space and dont clip something

10. So you dont need to turn on your lights and become an instant flare

EDIT I could go on all day but 10 is a good round number

Edited by Sorata

Besides, when most of the battle is taking place in space, wouldn't it make more sense to make all your fighters pure black instead?

Space isn't pure black. Cosmologists say it's more of a beige with all of the starlight, but the contrast causes our human brain to see it as black. It's like how the "blacks" on a projection screen are actually white.