Mostly the Mospeada

EXO

I hope collectors in Japan are buying the CMs set and enjoying it. I don't know enough Japanese fans to say or guess if they are buying it or what they think of the price. I was basing what I said on things I've read here and other toy collecting forums where a large sentiment seems to be "I'd buy it if it were cheaper".

Just for the record, I didn't buy the Legioss & Tread because of the crappy link-up and the butt-ugly Legioss (big gaps, knees out to the wingtips in fighter mode, tiny intakes, vertical slabs showing in link-up, etc). I would have paid the high price were it not for those things.

I hope collectors in Japan are buying the CMs set and enjoying it. I don't know enough Japanese fans to say or guess if they are buying it or what they think of the price. I was basing what I said on things I've read here and other toy collecting forums where a large sentiment seems to be "I'd buy it if it were cheaper".

Just so there's no confusion I'm not saying it should be cheaper because to be honest I think that it's as cheap as they were able to offer it at this level of quality and still make a profit.

I agree. If other people bought it, then there's a chance they'll make better ones (and for less $$$ too!) lol.

Why would anyone twist people's words just to make them look stupid?

Ask Jenius. Is there a rule around here saying that you can't modify peoples quotes? If so, please moderate, Mr. Moderator. He's portraying me as someone who can't spell.

Geez, I'm so glad Roger is here to tell us how amusing we are. You know, I'd like to enumerate the ways Roger contributes around here:

1) Telling us how dumb we are

Please show me a post where I called someone "dumb."

2) Telling stores not to honor our preorder prices

Please cite an instance where I did this.

3) Illegally copying anime art for himself and holding it ransom instead of sharing it with the fan community. Asking others to take down pictures of said artwork when it surfaces.

Please demonstrate how anything I've ever done with that artwork is "illegal" and how I'm holding it for "ransom," and why asking people to take down my photos that were distributed without my permission is something I shouldn't do.

What an upstanding member of our community. I'm so glad we amuse him.

I aim to please. Thanks!

Please show me a post where I called someone "dumb."

Please cite an instance where I did this.

Please demonstrate how anything I've ever done with that artwork is "illegal" and how I'm holding it for "ransom," and why asking people to take down my photos that were distributed without my permission is something I shouldn't do.

I aim to please. Thanks!

does this even warrant a response? As if people here are to dumb or stupid to tell the difference between calling someone dumb or stupid. If you want me to respond as a moderator then I should have banned you for the personal insults you threw at people. (the end of this sentence warrants a personal insult but I won't go there.)

Does the Dark Legioss count? ;-)

I kinda prefer getting the 2 together, but I could only afford to get the blue unit personally. I really wanna get the other 2 units, but until they are sub 200USD I dont think its ever going to happen.

I am intrigued with the heads on the toynamis tlead's being unique, but the legioss let them down too much to burden myself with more faulty units. ( have blue original, no end of trouble)

The only thing I wish CM's would have done with the combo, other than cheaper price, is have pegs or magnets to lock the figher mode better. I just like the idea of things snapping into place.

I want a red legioss most next, maybe if the toynamis do ok, I will get a set , mind you, Ruskiis aoshima Houquet experience isn't filling me with confidence....

does this even warrant a response? As if people here are to dumb or stupid to tell the difference between calling someone dumb or stupid. If you want me to respond as a moderator then I should have banned you for the personal insults you threw at people. (the end of this sentence warrants a personal insult but I won't go there.)

From the MW Forum Rules & Guidelines, #4:

Having an argument with another member is allowed. Substantively criticizing or analyzing the opinions, views, or statements of another member is acceptable. However, criticizing another member as a person for whatever views they may hold is not acceptable. Please discuss arguments, not each other.

I don't think I've done anything but criticize peoples' opinions, not the people themselves. If I ever personally insulted here or called someone a name I probably used the phrase "silly goose". Not once have I called someone "dumb" or "stupid."

But if you think I'm wrong, don't threaten to moderate me, moderate me. Point out where I violated MW rules and pull the trigger. And if you want to keep any credibility, then don't threaten to break the rules yourself by saying that you should personally insult me.

And yes, I think it does warrant a response from danth, especially when he's accusing me of doing something that he thinks is "illegal."

And yes, I think it does warrant a response from danth, especially when he's accusing me of doing something that he thinks is "illegal."

Sorry Roger, I guess we all forgot that YOU own the copyrights to all Mospeada artwork. Ha ha ha ha!

Sorry Roger, I guess we all forgot that YOU own the copyrights to all Mospeada artwork. Ha ha ha ha!

What makes you think that I believe that?

And put your money where your mouth is. Demonstrate that anything I'm doing is "illegal."

OK, everybody just calm down and please return to a discussion more fitting of this topic.

Yes sir........I must say though.....I DIG your avatar...that is F*in AWESOME! Takes me back man.

:ph34r:

Speaking as a fairly disinterested party to this particular disagreement:

1) Someone accuses Roger of calling people stupid and dumb, of being a vile bootlegger of precious visual artifacts related to Robotech: Alpha Generation, and of other assorted dastardly deeds.

2) Roger says he never did any of the things he was accused of doing, especially in calling people stupid or dumb. He simply uses the term, Loopy Avians*, to describe people he doesn't agree with.

3) A moderator loses his cool, accuses Roger of making the very insults that he denied making in point #2, and mentions something about exile to the Island of Malta.

4) Which then encourages helpful comments like, Ooh, you talked back to a mod, you naughty man, you're lucky they didn't explode your monkeya$$ account!

5) Granted, the Rog has made his share of archnemeses here, but if one is going to (threaten to) ban him, please do it on the grounds of something specific, or give him a trial, Gaius Baltar style, whereby Lee Adama can chime in and say, "But we're all just dumping our shame--our SHAME--on Roger Baltar."

6) It seems that so far, the only insults being hurled are by those hurling accusations at Roger. Because those people are currently accusing him of doing everything short of having sex with a llama.**

7) Similarly, I'm sure some of the more enthusiastic and articulate members will respond to this post by accusing me of being a troll, being stoopid, or having cooties.

(I love how in our age, accusing someone of being a troll automatically takes the place of having to come up with a somewhat intelligible reason for disagreeing.)

8) I just won an original Robotech: Alpha Generation Gakken Cyclone on Yahoo Japan. You know, the one with the firing forearm missiles. I'm so STOKED! (The more I see of these new Cyclones by CMs/Basset Hound/Toynami, the less I'm interested.)

9) If anyone has any old Robotech: Alpha Generation toys for sale (bootleg versions sold as "Mospeada"), please let me know.

*The term Loopy Avians is racist, misogynistic, and unfair to winged animals, so I definitely think Roger should be banned for using it.

**I'm pretty sure Roger would have sex with a llama if it were legal. And if he could afford a llama.

Edited by gingaio

That's a pretty large post about Roger after a couple mods essentially told everyone to shut up about Roger. Don't feed the trolls.

Update: Dark Ride Armor post goes up on my site sometime between now and tomorrow night (I live in California). It all depends on how long I get stuck at the office.

Update: Dark Ride Armor post goes up on my site sometime between now and tomorrow night (I live in California). It all depends on how long I get stuck at the office.

I HATE TROLLS!!!

On your Update...I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE A DETAILED REVIEW!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! I've actually considered trying to get my hands on one of these...but I'll wait for your review at least.

:ph34r:

Fly, you put lancer tyres on ur stik?

COOL!

but whats lancers/yellows got ?

I WANT MY LANCER/YELLOW!!

Didn't know that Gakken reboxed their toys under the Robotech label.

They were fun for the time. Now they just make the MH look so much better.

The one I picked up was the first Japanese Gakken release. Note the bag of missiles/plugs next to the gun.

The large Gakken Ride Armor did get a Robotech rebox (there's one on eBay now, I think), but like the other non-Japanese Gakkens, it got stripped of the firing mechanisms.

Anyway, regarding looks, we'll have to disagree. However, I don't think any of the new stuff will beat out the Gakken in terms of stability/playability. The fact that the figure can't sit on the bike blows, but it's a great toy otherwise.

post-1988-1218406910_thumb.jpg

post-1988-1218406917_thumb.jpg

Edited by gingaio

OOOOOHHHH B))

You have the big one!!!!!! Very nice.

As you see I have the little one that came in the two toy set. Never got the larger better looking one.

The two-toy set I didn't even know existed until I saw some on eBay recently. A really nice box design. That's cool that you picked one up.

Edited by gingaio

I'd just like to say that I bought the CMs legioss + tread (the red one) but that even though it is overpriced, it's more on the level of what yamato's 1/72 macross toys were on in terms of trying to be accurate and in terms of details and ugly bits. (ugly things can be gaps, bars that appear where none do on the show, exposed screws, weird shape in one mode etc)

Look, bottom line is this:

It doesn't "suck", but it's not that great either.

I own one so I think I can share an educated/informed opinion on it.

Now that doesn't mean we aren't grateful they weren't made or that there isn't a big attempt to please us. Just that if you were to review a toy you have to take into account all fan criticisms so they can decide for themselves if the mentioned features affect thier decision to purchase it or not.

Just saying it's "good or bad" without actually mentioning why you like or hate it, is more annoying to me than whether you have a rude attitude or a polite manner or whatever.

So don't think you "owe companies" respect or anything because they are just businesses not charities! But at the same time, please understand that if you just say it sucks and not give reasons then you are not helping them to unsuck.

That's why I like coming into the threads to hear what others think of the toys so I know whether they are really worth buying or not. You can't get independent opinions from people who work within the company or who have a vested interest in it. (or just fans who have developed a sense of blind 'loyalty' to a brand and feel they have to defend the name of the brand more than give us the truth about the product itself)

One of the biggest things on the CMs Legioss+tread toy that yamato could learn from is the clicky joint. F*ck I love them! :D The person who mentioned that they like plastic toys where the joints don't loosen over time due to weight or the friction getting worse from play, I totally agree with. This is very important to me and the reason I decided to eat the cost of the CMs. I want something that can last. I'm not a collector who leaves his things in the box and never opens it. I occasionally transform it and display it and stuff. So this was an important factor in my decision.

The CMs Tread if taken on its own merits, (no worrying about the link up to the legioss) is a great robot with great articulation in the arms. You won't be disapointed with it. (except for the fact that the mecha design of it is so simplistic but that is not CMs fault) I think many people who don't care about linkup accuracy will get this for the beta. Just having one is probably the motivating factor for the purchase. No loose joints, floppy limbs, or cracking with these guys!

Yamato may get points for their sculpt accuracy but remember their weakness seems to be the joints and stuff. So It's give or take. You can have a toy that looks close to model kits but feels a little fragile in bot mode, or a toy that realises it's not a collectors item only and is able to be handled without stress but which sacrifices some things.

CMs obviously went for the latter. The clicky joints, the bright anime colours, how it is all plastic and feels light to hold etc It's definitely more a toy, than a toy trying to be close to a model. (which is what yamato are going after)

I think a good example of the difference between the CMs approach vs Yamato approach to things is in comparing their VB-6 Monster to the Beta Fighter. They both act as bombers, both transform, both have a sense of bulk, both don't have diecast in them, both have flaws. (VB-6 has the gaps, VB-6 has no locking mechanism for the cannon in Gerwalk mode similar to how the CMs Tread/Beta doesn't lock the legs to the itself in flying mode) The differences in approach: The monster is a complex transformation and you appreciate the fact it CAN transform into things, but notice the joints seem a little loose in batttroid mode? Notice how the hips are just friction joints? Notice how the the arms seem to need more friction? The CMs Beta/Tread doesn't suffer that problem. The clicky joints in robot mode make it "fun" to pose and stuff because it's a toy not just for display. Sure it is brightly-coloured, but you actually want to hold it in your hands.

In the collection DX review the reviewer mentions he doesn't care about accuracy that much so the focus is really the money. How much money means to you will be the deciding factor on whether to buy it.

Whether you are a rich kid with lots of money to spare, or a fan desperate to have something that you can't have, your opinion will range from "this sucks", to "it's ok, if you can afford it but could have been much better". But I don't think any one could say it's "great" because imo it feels a little rushed. Things like the locking together of the arms in fighter mode would have been really easy to do. (just as yamato including side parts with the 1/60 vf-1 would have been easy) I tend to agree with the review: better than having a fragile MPC, but not good value for $. You either have to have lots of money to burn, or be despserate to own it, to even consider the purchase, so it's good for mospeada fans that it was made, but it's not the second coming of toys that you should be so excited about it. The only reason to be excited is because you are a thirsty person who finds water in a dry desert so this affects your judgement. To a dehydrated person it must taste oh so good!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Oh and good news that the mpc beta is coming out finally. :D "Buy an alpha to get a beta!!!" :D

I'm saving up for the beagle Ride Armor. I might also get the yellow belmont megahouse ride armor with the big wheels. Those wheels being small was the difference between me not wanting the MH to me wanting one. So it was a deal for me to see them beefed up a little. Congratulations MH, for improving and winning a sale from me.

I DO hope that one of these companies attempt to challenge CMs and Toynami on the alpha and beta one day. Then later maybe they could consider the non-transforming enemy mecha which I would imagine would be easy to do.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The two-toy set I didn't even know existed until I saw some on eBay recently. A really nice box design. That's cool that you picked one up.

Yeah, for $11.95 over twenty years ago.

Who would have thought after all this time there would be new toys.

LowVis thanks for the review. Too bad I canceled my pre-order for the blue one long ago. C'est la vie or C'est la morte if the toynami turns out to be crap.

Oh and good news that the mpc beta is coming out finally. :D "Buy an alpha to get a beta!!!" :D

I'm saving up for the beagle Ride Armor. I might also get the yellow belmont megahouse ride armor with the big wheels. Those wheels being small was the difference between me not wanting the MH to me wanting one. So it was a deal for me to see them beefed up a little. Congratulations MH, for improving and winning a sale from me.

I DO hope that one of these companies attempt to challenge CMs and Toynami on the alpha and beta one day. Then later maybe they could consider the non-transforming enemy mecha which I would imagine would be easy to do.

150 seems a lot more reasonable a price than the crazy price CMS were asking for a toy that didn't even connect properly with the legioss.

So are any of our regular toy merchants offering pre-orders? I am not crazy about pre ordering thru rt.com.

7) Similarly, I'm sure some of the more enthusiastic and articulate members will respond to this post by accusing me of being a troll, being stoopid, or having cooties.

(I love in our age, accusing someone of being a troll automatically takes the place of having to come up with a somewhat intelligible reason for disagreeing.)

I'm assuming this edit has to do with my "don't feed the trolls" comment. I hope it doesn't though as you'd be missing the point of my comment entirely and it'd be silly to prophesize with an edit happening after the fact. I was telling you NOT to feed the trolls, not telling you that you are one. You should also note that intelligible (I prefer intelligent) debates are far more likely to be engaged in when the mods haven't already weighed in telling everyone to move on.