Characters' Ages

Gyges

I shudder to ask, given Japan's lamentable habit of sexualizing children in anime--but does anyone know how old the three main characters are? I am particularly curious about Ranka Lee, obviously.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I don't want to criticize your tastes, but I have to say the way your question is worded sure is disturbing. I shudder to think that the North American media obsession with printing "pedophilia" in the news to shock an apathetic public is somehow responsible for you shying away from Macross Frontier or other Japanese anime. Macross, like many other anime shows aimed at a young audience, has included fan service in the past and appears to continue this tradition. Fan service has never been excessive in Macross and it appears thankfully moderated in Macross Frontier as well. But there is fan service in MF nonetheless. I sure hope you don't use the inclusion of some fan service as gauge for whether Macross Frontier is a quality show or not, because you'll be missing out on a great series for a really poor reason, IMO. Just something to consider.

I don't want to criticize your tastes, but I have to say the way your question is worded sure is disturbing. I shudder to think that the North American media obsession with printing "pedophilia" in the news to shock an apathetic public is somehow responsible for you shying away from Macross Frontier or other Japanese anime. Macross, like many other anime shows aimed at a young audience, has included fan service in the past and appears to continue this tradition. Fan service has never been excessive in Macross and it appears thankfully moderated in Macross Frontier as well. But there is fan service in MF nonetheless. I sure hope you don't use the inclusion of some fan service as gauge for whether Macross Frontier is a quality show or not, because you'll be missing out on a great series for a really poor reason, IMO. Just something to consider.

You are just reading too much into the question that has been asked.

You are just reading too much into the question that has been asked.

Given the number of times I've seen this exact question come up and the similar motives, I'll hedge my bets, thank you. As for the rest, at best it's good advice; at worst it's misplaced concern. No harm, no foul.

I shudder to ask, given Japan's lamentable habit of sexualizing children in anime--but does anyone know how old the three main characters are? I am particularly curious about Ranka Lee, obviously.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I don't understand you. :blink: I don't remember Ranka doing a striptease or something like that. I can understand for Sheryl but for Ranka ... And by the way, Ranka is not a child since she is 15. She is a teenager (I know, she is small for her age). So come on dude and give her some respect.

Edited by Macross007

Talk about loaded question (first post).

My advice: step out of your own small culture shoes and examine a culture from the inside, with things taken in context. In addition, keep in mind that anime is far from main stream in Japan. It's not like the whole society embraces what goes on in anime.

It is the future, after humanity was in a disaster that reduce the population from billions to a the couple thousands that were in the Macross. As consequence we have pilots starting at the age of 16 (Gamlin), the developer of the Yf-19 was 16 years old (Yang Neumann) and are getting engaged for marriage at 14 ( Mylene).

It is not like Ranka being 15 is going to be in a romantic relation with a 40ish year old character so i don't see what is the problem with the age.

Speaking of ages, how old are Mikhail and Luca ?

I was wondering about that myself. Mikhail seems a couple of years older than Alto, but Luca seems too young, and a bit gay actually. Maybe he's just a 'moma's boy' :p

I was wondering about that myself. Mikhail seems a couple of years older than Alto, but Luca seems too young, and a bit gay actually. Maybe he's just a 'moma's boy' :p

:blink:

He's a bit shrimpy and over-enthusiastic, but gay? I don't see it.

But if he is, maybe he can hook up with the SMS 'fro guy...happy endings for everyone!

Mikhail is suppose to be around the same age as Alto and Nanase. They're all classmates. Luca is suppose to be the kohai of the bunch.

Sidestepping the entire "pervy" aspect of the OP's question, I always wondered why they made the main characters so young, even in the original SDFM series. None of the main characters other than Roy and Global were even over 20 at the beginning? It just seems a little odd that the UN government would place a bunch of teenagers barely out of basic as the bridge crew on their freshly painted new world-economy-crippling flagship, and recruit 16 and 17 year old kids to be pilots. I know, it's just anime (and SW1 was a bitch after all) but still ...

I thought one of the most welcome touches of Macross Plus was that all the characters were at least old enough to drive, much less be handed the keys (figuratively) to a multi-billion dollar transforming fighter. Zero seemed to follow along with the trend. It just seemed to lend the story more credibility, that's all.

Easy - Macross F is billed as a school story. You can't have high school without a youthful cast.

In SDF:M, I believe the explantion is that the majority of the older, more experience pilots had been killed during the UN Wars. Though, you could also add the dimension that the "old dogs" couldn't learn the "new tricks" needed to successfully pilot a transforming fighter plane. Though, we must not forget that in the real world, the average fighter pilot is "young".

Sidestepping the entire "pervy" aspect of the OP's question, I always wondered why they made the main characters so young, even in the original SDFM series. None of the main characters other than Roy and Global were even over 20 at the beginning? It just seems a little odd that the UN government would place a bunch of teenagers barely out of basic as the bridge crew on their freshly painted new world-economy-crippling flagship, and recruit 16 and 17 year old kids to be pilots. I know, it's just anime (and SW1 was a bitch after all) but still ...

I thought one of the most welcome touches of Macross Plus was that all the characters were at least old enough to drive, much less be handed the keys (figuratively) to a multi-billion dollar transforming fighter. Zero seemed to follow along with the trend. It just seemed to lend the story more credibility, that's all.

Agreed to what you said :)

Ok, got it, he is like we say in Mexico 'el gato' :lol::lol::lol: you know the guy who buys everyone's lunch and carries everyone's bag!

I wouldn't say so cause that would be more like a lackey, i believe the senpai - kohai relation is based on respect