Invincible Superman Zambot 3

Gubaba

I was going to wait until I finished watching the series to comment here, but I just watched episode 18 ("Aki and Kappei"), and my jaw dropped. I mean, I like it (a lot!), but if I had watched this show as a kid, it seriously would've given me nightmares, and I wonder that an entire generation of Japanese males aren't still frightened of becoming "Human Bombs"...

In a way, it kind of reminds me of South Park, in that it LOOKS really, really kiddie...until you start paying attention. All the Super Robot staples are there...impossible robot combination (repeated every episode), the elaborate way to board the robot (wouldn't it be more sensible just to have a chair BUILT INTO the Zambo-Ace instead of having robotic arms moving the chair around?), comic-relief villain (with the equally laughable name of "Killer the Butcher"), and monster-of-the-week as the plotline...but it's all so twisted and dark.

When I first started watching it, I thought, "Man, having a Zambot toy would be cool," but now the birhgtt, colorful '70s robot really doesn't seem to fit the plot.

Man. And I thought Zeta Gundam was depressing...

Sounds interesting!

I was just reading up on Zambot 3 last night, so it's very very straaaange that you should happen to post this.... it's almost equally strange as those postings in the 1/500 SDF1 thread which "assured" me that Yamato had "no plans" to release an SDF1...therefore compelling me via psychological pressure to get the wave version...

Granted - I have plans and aspirations to get SOC Zambot 3 soon - and they were never in any doubt - but your post seems only to reinforce that this would be a good idea in my life.

Generally speaking - the first thing that caught my eye when reading about this was Killer the Butcher. That has got to be the greatest villain name ever. I also read that he likes to sunbathe and do other kinky stuff.

Now, with this impressive recomendation, as soon as I've completed my M7 download, I shall likely check out Zambot 3 - although I would also love to watch the original Getter Robo :)

VFTF1

[...]although I would also love to watch the original Getter Robo :)

VFTF1

Yeah, me too...

Zambot 3 is on my HD since ages now, but I plan to watch it 'soon'

It's amazing how much Tomino got away with in Zambot 3. Can you imagine this show airing in the states?

Let me know how you feel when you get to the ending... :ph34r:

Will do. I''ve been trying to keep my viewing "spoiler-free," but I do know that this is where cheery ol' Tomino got his "Kill 'Em All" nickname, so I'm expecting that that's what will happen...

Which, in the case of the hero, might be a good thing...I mean, people who think Shinji Ikari is annoying need to check out Kappei!

On a somewhat related note, what happened to Shin-Getter fansubs? Their website seems to be down.

Eeeghads!

I just watched 3/4 of episode one and I'm in shock ! :) This is great stuff! But can they actually DDOOOOOooo that in cartoons?!

It's so sad to compare this to the lame stuff we have now :( ...

What an utterly violent cartoon! Those cops were brutaly slaughtered! The people on that ship blown to pieces! That 10 year old boy stripped by his mother and that Killer the Bucher! jeez! "Oh lots of creatures for me to kill here!"

Amazing - naturally the one thing that is annoying is that all of the characters; the young ones at least; don't seem to have to go through any traumatic adjustment period when flying snails, robotic squids and Mecha show up! :)

Overall I must download all of this and watch it. As to the "kill 'em all" thing - it is blatantly obvious that lots of people will die in this cartoon from the get go :)

VFTF1

Eeeghads!

I just watched 3/4 of episode one and I'm in shock ! :) This is great stuff! But can they actually DDOOOOOooo that in cartoons?!

It's so sad to compare this to the lame stuff we have now :( ...

What an utterly violent cartoon! Those cops were brutaly slaughtered! The people on that ship blown to pieces! That 10 year old boy stripped by his mother and that Killer the Bucher! jeez! "Oh lots of creatures for me to kill here!"

Amazing - naturally the one thing that is annoying is that all of the characters; the young ones at least; don't seem to have to go through any traumatic adjustment period when flying snails, robotic squids and Mecha show up! :)

Overall I must download all of this and watch it. As to the "kill 'em all" thing - it is blatantly obvious that lots of people will die in this cartoon from the get go :)

VFTF1

Just you wait...I'm two episodes from the end, and...man. Brutal stuff.

Around the middle, the series kind of sagged for me, and I started watching it more slowly. It gets pretty formulaic, and it's a formula we've all seen before. Mecha-Boost launches. Zambot fights it. Zambot's on the ropes. Zambot turns the tides. Mecha-Boost goes kablooey. The end.

But then, at around episode 15 or 16, they start screwing with the formula a bit, and it becomes much better.

Pretty basic '70s robot stuff. Aliens attack. Kids get a giant robot to fight them off. Every episode, the aliens send another monster to try to destroy the robot (and earth). Robot fights the monster and wins.

There's nothing extraordinary about the plot; the mecha designs are fine, but not spectacular; the character designs are good but not especially memorable (even though they're by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko).

What sets it apart is the utter ruthlessness of the villains. The whole thing really looks and feels like a kids' show, but innocent bystanders are being slaughtered all over the place.

And, just when I thought I knew exactly where the story was going, there was a big twist that floored me. I really can't say any more about that, but check it out. Shin-Getter fansubs has done a really nice version.

Now if I could only find Daitarn 3 somewhere...

Try Ideon next. Especially the movie. Then you'll know why Tominos earned the moniker "Kill 'em all!". :)

Believe or not, hes actually said in an interview that he truly believes humankind is wonderful. Hes got a funny way of showing it at times...

Apparently, Tomino suffers from mood swings. Whens hes depressed, we get Zanbot-3, Ideon and V-Gundam. Whens hes happy, we get... er... the first half of ZZ Gundam. This is why it is important that Tomino is kept miserable. Happy Tomino is not a good thing for mecha shows.

After V, though, apparently he changed his medication, or read some self-help books, or got a girlfriend, or something, because we then got Turn-A Gundam which manages to be a happy Tomino show that doesn't suck. :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Brain Powerd was great too, and I really liked Overman King Gainer too

[...]

Now if I could only find Daitarn 3 somewhere...

Hopefully, Shinsen will sub this one too: I heard they plan to finish Yusha Raideen first, then, finish their job begun ages ago onto Heavy Metal L-Gaim (not too soon: I've the first eps onto my HD since a previous life now!) but dunno what they plan to do after this...

This is why it is important that Tomino is kept miserable.

That's a great line! :)

So this guy did Turn-A-Gundam? :) I only watched one episode of Turn-A-Gundam (8 with the cows :) ) ... but I really liked it. I particularly liked the idea of technological and aesthetic regress - rather than say, post-apocaliptic stuff wher you have a kind of post-technological post-industrial earth where elements from the previous technological age mesh with primitive weapons. The twist with simple regress to former style and times is really interesting and fun.

But in general I will soon download all of Zambot 3.

And I like how pro-family it is; very family oriented. How the whole family works together to get the Super Robot working - what with the mother stripping her son, Grandma fetching his helment, and Grandad kind of pimping the whole organization.

Really nifty :)

VFTF1

Try Ideon next. Especially the movie. Then you'll know why Tominos earned the moniker "Kill 'em all!". :)

Believe or not, hes actually said in an interview that he truly believes humankind is wonderful. Hes got a funny way of showing it at times...

Apparently, Tomino suffers from mood swings. Whens hes depressed, we get Zanbot-3, Ideon and V-Gundam. Whens hes happy, we get... er... the first half of ZZ Gundam. This is why it is important that Tomino is kept miserable. Happy Tomino is not a good thing for mecha shows.

After V, though, apparently he changed his medication, or read some self-help books, or got a girlfriend, or something, because we then got Turn-A Gundam which manages to be a happy Tomino show that doesn't suck. :)

Yeah, I've seen Ideon...BEST. ENDING. EVER!

I can believe he thinks humankind is wonderful...even Zambot showed that

The way that Gaizok insinuated that humans were too selfish to thank Kappei, but there are throngs of people doing just that at the end.

(Spoiler bar added for VFTF1's sake.)

Tomino actually wrote a book called "The Turn-A Cure" about how working on that show lifted him out of his depression. Which is fine, although I'm a little unsure about his recent revisions of Zeta (in the movie version) and Char's Counterattack (in Gundam Evolve) to give them happier endings. Oh well, at least he's not messing with the originals.

I'd like to have a big six-month Tomino marathon, but I still need to get Brain Powerd and King Gainer, and someone really needs to sub Daitarn (I hope Shinsen tackles it), Xabungle, L-Gaim (Shin-Getter's doing it, but they're only up to episode 6), and the Dunbine sequels...

Pretty basic '70s robot stuff. Aliens attack. Kids get a giant robot to fight them off. Every episode, the aliens send another monster to try to destroy the robot (and earth). Robot fights the monster and wins.

There's nothing extraordinary about the plot; the mecha designs are fine, but not spectacular; the character designs are good but not especially memorable (even though they're by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko).

What sets it apart is the utter ruthlessness of the villains. The whole thing really looks and feels like a kids' show, but innocent bystanders are being slaughtered all over the place.

As a result of the collateral damage, the people don't exactly appreciate what the good guys are doing either.

And, just when I thought I knew exactly where the story was going, there was a big twist that floored me. I really can't say any more about that, but check it out. Shin-Getter fansubs has done a really nice version.

Ah, so you saw the ending. Unbelievable twist wasn't it? :blink:

Kappei was annoying but by the end, you gotta feel for him.

Spoiler bar added for VFTF1's sake

Aw shucks :) Thanks...

On a related note - though I don't want to be accused of going too far off topic - so if it turns out that people have like a million things to say about this then maybe there should be a new thread but -

My theory (amateur non-reasearched hunch theory!) about why these Japanese anime shows are so violent and show death etc is as follows:

It would seem ridiculous for a country that went through two atomic bomb attacks to not show more violence/death in childrens cartoons. Ridiculous in the sense that it would - in my view- probably even be insulting to people if they had to watch a show about robots and various armies shooting it out but the show looked like GI Joe... I just get the feeling that the Japanese are more realistic about this because they have no intention of "hiding" the horrors of warfare from even children - in fact, they likely want to preserve the memory of those horrors as a way of avoiding them in future.

Just a hunch - and I don't want to offend anyone (if I did sorry) - and I am by no means in any way shape or form educated about Japanese culture, society, history and stuff.

My theory/hunch is meant more as a question backed up by some preliminary thoughts - and it is sparked by watching Zambot 3 episode 1 :)

VFTF1

Well, it's funny. When I was about twelve, and getting into anime, I liked it because it seemed to me that it wasn't aimed at children. Later, I realized that most of it was indeed aimed at children, it's just that Japanese TV producers had a different idea of what kids could handle than American ones did.

As for why...well, your theory sounds as good as any. I'm sure that the Bomb is a part of it...certainly WWII haunts almost all anime drama (and some comedy) throughout the seventies and eighties. In Zambot, I see the specter of the War very clearly in the aftermath of of the destruction rather in the actual attacks.

Interestingly, they seem to be becoming more "American" in that way more recently...considering that at least one "Concerned Parent's Group" protested episodes 18 and 19 of Evangelion (which, to be fair, are riduculously intense...I have yet to see anyone watch them and NOT be horrified), which AFAIK, didn't happen with Zambot, or Zeta Gundam, or Ideon, or any other extraordinarily violent or negative series. And the flak over Eva did led to some self-censorship on the part of TV anime producers for a while (which, perhaps, is why most anime is shown past midnight these days...?).

Watched Zambot 3 before, but wasn't as jarring as people said. I can see it being shocking in the 70s, but nothing too surprising when you have a decent dose of robot anime. Ideon, especially the movie, however, is at a totally different level. You'll be shocked by it no matter what. And love the human drama of no really true dispicable bad guy. Just people fighting for their pride and reasons (silly sometimes) til no end.

That's a great line! :)

So this guy did Turn-A-Gundam? :) I only watched one episode of Turn-A-Gundam (8 with the cows :) ) ... but I really liked it. I particularly liked the idea of technological and aesthetic regress - rather than say, post-apocaliptic stuff wher you have a kind of post-technological post-industrial earth where elements from the previous technological age mesh with primitive weapons. The twist with simple regress to former style and times is really interesting and fun.

But in general I will soon download all of Zambot 3.

And I like how pro-family it is; very family oriented. How the whole family works together to get the Super Robot working - what with the mother stripping her son, Grandma fetching his helment, and Grandad kind of pimping the whole organization.

VFTF1

Thanks! I hope no-one thinks I'm making fun of depression, though; a close relative suffered for a while so I know its not a nice thing to go through.

Yep, Tomino did Turn-A - and he excelled himself with it. Despite all the flak it got when the concept art first appeared, its actually quite possibly the best Gundam series, and a truly excellent science fiction show in its own right. The whole Turn-A design is incredibly clever - its still going to be talked about when the last Strike-Aelie-Wing-Zero-Freedom-Wotsit is gathering dust in some Bandai warehouse somewhere; meanwhile, the 30s-style setting gives the show a timelessness that will mean its never going to look out-of-place. I loved the cow episode; and its typical of Tomino, highlighting the plight of people caught up in a conflict they just want to live through.

Family is also an important Tomino theme; many of his series revolve around a dispossessed bunch of people finding themselves bonding into a substitute family during a conflict - the crew of the White Base being perhaps the most famous.

Going on to Ideon - I really wish it was a show more people would see, though I admit its formulaic episode structure makes it a bit of a trawl (its always worth bearing in mind with these older series, though, is that they were never designed to be watched in blocks of several episodes, but as a once-a-day or week treat), but Evangelion suddenly looks a little less clever once you've seen it, especially the movie.

I've also recently been discovering the various series spawned from Time Bokan, and while also repetitive (being originally aimed at children) they do give an impression of being a "missing link" in a Western fans perspective of anime; the mad-cap antics of shows like Excel Saga suddenly make a bit more sense...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Going on to Ideon - I really wish it was a show more people would see, though I admit its formulaic episode structure makes it a bit of a trawl (its always worth bearing in mind with these older series, though, is that they were never designed to be watched in blocks of several episodes, but as a once-a-day or week treat), but Evangelion suddenly looks a little less clever once you've seen it, especially the movie.

I've also recently been discovering the various series spawned from Time Bokan, and while also repetitive (being originally aimed at children) they do give an impression of being a "missing link" in a Western fans perspective of anime; the mad-cap antics of shows like Excel Saga suddenly make a bit more sense...

Watching Ideon actually RAISED my level of respect for Eva...it started off as the ultimate rip-off of/homage to every super robot show in existence, and ended as a rip off of/homage to the single most nihilistic ending in all of anime history. Gainax definitely knows who to steal from, and how to steal it well.

But you raise an interesting question...I've been trying to put together a list of What Every Mecha Fan NEEDS to See, the robot anime that have had the biggest influence on what's come after. Not necessairly the best, not necessarily one's favorites, but the ones that changed what came after.

So far, it looks like this (in chronological order):

1. Mighty Atom (first robot show)

2. Iron Man 28 (first giant robot)

3. Mazinger Z (first drivable robot)

4. Zambot 3 (as the ultimate combining robot show, and the first that wasn't completely forumulaic)

5. Gundam (first "real robot" show)

6. Ideon (last great combining robot show)

7. Macross (first realistic transforming robots)

8. Patlabor (takes "real robots" to a new level)

9. Evangelion (everything after was either incredibly influenced by Eva or had to work hard not to be)

10. ...? (too early to tell)

Is there anything I'm missing?

Dunbine: first partially organic mecha...?

Time Bokan/Yattaman/and all the others: might seem an odd choice, but this and Gatchaman probably popularised the "enemy of the week" mecha, also important for tying in a toy-line with the show and a number of other anime clichés (fan service in particular... :) )

Escaflowne: because everyone needs to hear Kanno the first time. :)

VOTOMs: the first - possibly the only - mecha series where the protagonist is not some lucky amateur, but an actual professional - the best at what he does.

Watching Ideon actually RAISED my level of respect for Eva...it started off as the ultimate rip-off of/homage to every super robot show in existence, and ended as a rip off of/homage to the single most nihilistic ending in all of anime history. Gainax definitely knows who to steal from, and how to steal it well.

But you raise an interesting question...I've been trying to put together a list of What Every Mecha Fan NEEDS to See, the robot anime that have had the biggest influence on what's come after. Not necessairly the best, not necessarily one's favorites, but the ones that changed what came after.

4. Zambot 3 (as the ultimate combining robot show, and the first that wasn't completely forumulaic)

9. Evangelion (everything after was either incredibly influenced by Eva or had to work hard not to be)

I'm not sure if I'd include Patlabor. It's great show but I don't think it had any kind of lasting 'impact' on the anime scene. If had some form of impact, I might say it spun what is generally classified in the sci-fi fantasy genre into a 'slice-of-life' police drama.

VOTOMs: the first - possibly the only - mecha series where the protagonist is not some lucky amateur, but an actual professional - the best at what he does.

The the first (if not the last) protagonist that dodges all the shots and/or survived in all combats with a very story-related legit reason, rather than just being lucky like all the good guys in all other shows. :lol:

So I just took a quick look at it, and I gotta say I'm interested if for no other reason then it actually shows some consequence to this form of combat. A dodged shot destroys a a port, debris from the aerial battle crashes and destroys a ship... when the robots dive into the water waves come up and sweep civilians away etc.

I've never seen that before in a Super Robot Show.

So I just took a quick look at it, and I gotta say I'm interested if for no other reason then it actually shows some consequence to this form of combat. A dodged shot destroys a a port, debris from the aerial battle crashes and destroys a ship... when the robots dive into the water waves come up and sweep civilians away etc.

I've never seen that before in a Super Robot Show.

It happened in Gaogaigar too. But only once or twice.

Aw shucks :) Thanks...

On a related note - though I don't want to be accused of going too far off topic - so if it turns out that people have like a million things to say about this then maybe there should be a new thread but -

My theory (amateur non-reasearched hunch theory!) about why these Japanese anime shows are so violent and show death etc is as follows:

It would seem ridiculous for a country that went through two atomic bomb attacks to not show more violence/death in childrens cartoons. Ridiculous in the sense that it would - in my view- probably even be insulting to people if they had to watch a show about robots and various armies shooting it out but the show looked like GI Joe... I just get the feeling that the Japanese are more realistic about this because they have no intention of "hiding" the horrors of warfare from even children - in fact, they likely want to preserve the memory of those horrors as a way of avoiding them in future.

Just a hunch - and I don't want to offend anyone (if I did sorry) - and I am by no means in any way shape or form educated about Japanese culture, society, history and stuff.

My theory/hunch is meant more as a question backed up by some preliminary thoughts - and it is sparked by watching Zambot 3 episode 1 :)

VFTF1

Basically, that's it: WW2 was the worst thing which happened to traditional Japan because it was more or less its end

Before that, it was a militaristic, monarchical and traditionalistic regime and after it became a pacific, industrial and democratic country, which was a traumatizing change because it happened during a very short time, all the more as it was imposed although democracy is supposed to be the choice of people. For this reason, it's rather similar to what happened in Irak recently (not trying to start a flame war, guys, this is just historical facts)

During the american occupation of Japan, a lot of things changed in this society (human rights arose, industry became prominent, towns were rebuilt with modern architecture, etc) and the new generation became more and more doubtful about the traditions of their fathers which was the main cause of the defeat and the suffering of their people, the previous one having been educated in the idea that Japan should rule the world while the second learnt that Japan was just a loser basically; this digged a particularly deep trench between two generations, the last one developping the idea - at least subconsciously - that war was hell, on the battlefield as much as in the soul, this last scar lasting for the entire life most of the time. Tomino's Gundam is a very good depiction of this 'hatred' of war and the WW2 in particular, because Zeon is obviously a symbol of the Axis while the Federation represents the Allied; see also Brain Powerd and The Wings of Rean, although the message is more anti-USA in these last ones, for obvious reasons

However, the actual Japan looks now less traumatized by this past and seems to walk more serenely towards the future. But its last 50 years of history will leave a profound mark onto this civilisation during some time, probably a pair of generation or so...

3a. Getter Robo (First combining robots)

3b. Daiku Maryu Gaiking (first flagship transporting the mecha and its partners: ie. the ancestor of SDF-1)

10. Overman King Gainer (super robots [overmen] + real mechas [silhouette engines] = the best of both worlds)

Otherwise, I wouldn't put Mighty Atom in the list. First, because he's not giant. Second, because he's entirely autnomous (no remote like Tetsujin 28, no pilot like Mazinger Z). Third, because he's a 'replacement' for a lost child and therefore he's a symbol of love, filiation and heritage instead of conflict, destruction and domination like a mecha is supposed to be at the begining (let's try to avoid highly philosphical discussions about war machines being a way to peace, which reamains doubtful, whatever Gundam 00 may have depicted recently, all the more as it's a very different situation than these 50s-60s period Atom and Tetsujin are from...)

Finally, Eva shouldn't be here all short (even for the mecha designs which were rather innovative but not exactly revolutionnary, see Dunbine and Guyver): this anime, despite its great qualities in terms of directing, is just an intellectual fraud and its influence on what followed it was much more limited than people may think IMO (see the recent Rebuild of Evangelion that Anno himself introduced as a way to ass kick an anime industry which didn't evolve as much as he wished since Eva, except in the directing: see Lain or Texhnolyze)

3a. Getter Robo (First combining robots)

3b. Daiku Maryu Gaiking (first flagship transporting the mecha and its partners: ie. the ancestor of SDF-1)

10. Overman King Gainer (super robots [overmen] + real mechas [silhouette engines] = the best of both worlds)

Otherwise, I wouldn't put Mighty Atom in the list. First, because he's not giant. Second, because he's entirely autnomous (no remote like Tetsujin 28, no pilot like Mazinger Z). Third, because he's a 'replacement' for a lost child and therefore he's a symbol of love, filiation and heritage instead of conflict, destruction and domination like a mecha is supposed to be at the begining (let's try to avoid highly philosphical discussions about war machines being a way to peace, which reamains doubtful, whatever Gundam 00 may have depicted recently, all the more as it's a very different situation than these 50s-60s period Atom and Tetsujin are from...)

Finally, Eva shouldn't be here all short (even for the mecha designs which were rather innovative but not exactly revolutionnary, see Dunbine and Guyver): this anime, despite its great qualities in terms of directing, is just an intellectual fraud and its influence on what followed it was much more limited than people may think IMO (see the recent Rebuild of Evangelion that Anno himself introduced as a way to ass kick an anime industry which didn't evolve as much as he wished since Eva, except in the directing: see Lain or Texhnolyze)

I heartily agree with putting Getter Robo on the list (not sure about Gaiking and King Gainer, only because I haven't seen them...until I do, I'll take your word for it), and I felt a little iffy about putting Mighty Atom on there in the first place, so your reasoning makes sense to me.

But I do think Eva needs to be on the list...it really was a revolution at the time, putting otaku culture on the map, and opening a lot of anime floodgates. If a lot of what followed was crap...well, that's what floodgates are there for in the first place. (I also think it isn't an intellectual fraud, but that's neither here nor there, really.) It takes all the tropes of a super robot show (monster-of-the-week, a robot that's created by the young pilot's father, the high-tech base with people sitting in front of monitors, shouting "DAME DA!") and really turned them into something fresh. I also became one of the THE most talked about animes ever, a sitauation which continues to this day. For better or for worse, it is one of the truly quintessential animes of the '90s, and one of the mot important robot shows ever.

*scurries off to look for proof*

You're right, actually: Eva is an important anime, but I don't think it is an important mecha anime, all the more as it takes all the cliches of the genre without really bringing them to a really new level. I should have made this point clearer...

And as for it being one of the most talked about animes, you're also right, but I strongly believe it was for points which remain way overrated. But you're again right when you say it's not the thread for this ;)

Concerning Gaiking, I found this info onto ANN: I just saw its recent remake (which is not bad at all by the way) and I'd die to see the original subbed...