Toynami Masterpiece Collection Voltron

I read that on August 19th of this year, Toynami secured a three-year license to merchandise toys based on Voltron. And at the San Fransisco Comicon, it was revealed that it will release Voltron I-Men and Masterpiece Collection versions of the five lions.

So here's my question:

Are these going to be original sculpts or are they simply reissues of previous toys (a la the now-defunct Robotech Destroids)? When I was a kid, Playmates released REALLY nice die-cast 1/100 two-pack sets (blue/red lions, yellow/green lions, and black lion individually) for about $30 each. I remember them being fairly heavy and very detailed.

Will Toynami follow its usual business tactics and just make cheap, QC problem-ridden knockoffs of the Playmates and charge almost $100 apiece by slapping a nicely-designed box around them? <_<

This ought to be interesting to see how they turn out... :huh:

Ben

I'll be following this news closely because I've been looking for a new Voltron. I was even thinking about picking up one of those LIONBOT's on E-Bay. Now that Toynami is remaking my second favorite Voltron I'll have to wait for that (yeah I like Vehicle Voltron.......got a problem with that). B))

Vehicle Voltron rocks! Well, apart from the fact that it needs 15 vehicles to form Voltron, that is. Nevertheless, one of my favorites. I'd like to see how well Toynami can pull it off, though. I know I won't be expecting anything like the Chogokin Dancougar, however. =/

Another vote for Vehicle Voltron.

'course we all know Toynami will only be doing Lion stuff.

....unless they also got the Vehicle rights even with no intention of ever releasing any Vehicle toys just to protect them from other companies...

Cyc

i agree...start off with whats popular. lion voltron will be the first to be released. i'm curious the scale and which mold they'll be using (weren't there 3 different lion voltrons released back in the day?). vehicle voltron was cool b/c of the 3 sub groups you could form but as voltron his head was dorky looking.

hey does anyone have pics of that rarely seen 3rd voltron (the 3 in 1?)

Another vote for Vehicle Voltron.

'course we all know Toynami will only be doing Lion stuff.

....unless they also got the Vehicle rights even with no intention of ever releasing any Vehicle toys just to protect them from other companies...

Cyc

I would buy Vehicle Voltron in a heartbeat. ;)

Devils Due comics just recently announced that their Voltron series will now be an ongoing title (not just a mini-series) and that they've picked up the rights to the vehicle Voltron as well. I would think that if the comic does well, and their new lions toy sells, we will see Toynami do a vehicle Voltron.

If Toynami's lions release is a good, solid toy, i'll pick it up as i never got the lions Voltron as a kid. I actually won't be buying a vehicle Voltron, because my childhood one is still in excellent condition (shockingly). I definitely prefered it to the lions.

Neil

hey does anyone have pics of that rarely seen 3rd voltron (the 3 in 1?)

Ah.....my parents gave me the "elusive 3rd Voltron" as a Christmas gift one year. It was the black gladiator (that combined with the red and blue one) which was pretty much ALL diecast. When combined it was a six armed monstrocity........and I didn't like it as much as previous Voltrons. :(

The third Voltron is Albegas, which was actually animated in Japan but never made it in the US for some strange reason (Prolly cause the kids were hankering for more of the Lion Force Voltron.).

I heard the Toynami Voltron (Which is Lion Force, BTW), is a new design........ right <_<

As for those thinking of gettin the Lionbot, Make sure it's under $75. Any more than that, and you're being jipped.

WEP lost the license to Dairugger XV (Vehicle Voltron) a while ago, but they flat out bought the GoLion franchise from Toei.

I think i remember seeing a voltron episode where the vehicle voltron and the lion Voltron meet. Am i nuts or does someone else remember this also? If so what was the name of it and does anyone know where i can get a copy of it?

Toynami, Toynami, Toynami! Damn it! All roads leads to them. Well I got me the original Lion bots I bought for $200 about 6 years ago. It was the one where their shiny silver areas was all bronze. It was from Korea. I am not going to give it up. I will skip these. They are already overpriced from what I am hearing on this thread. I already got mislead when I got those MPCs. I also skipping on the VF-1R piece of $#@% MPC. I will wait and see how the Alpha MPCs will do. BTW, has anybody in Japan decide to pick up the Mospeda toys? Japan toy manufacturers know how to make alot of toys pretty.

The third Voltron is Albegas, which was actually animated in Japan but never made it in the US for some strange reason (Prolly cause the kids were hankering for more of the Lion Force Voltron.).

Hmm? I don't get it, if it didn't make it to US shores, how is it even a Voltron? (lol)

Hmm? I don't get it, if it didn't make it to US shores, how is it even a Voltron? (lol)

The TOYS made it over, but the animation was apparently never dubbed/adapted.

No why they'd launch the toys without having the animation ready to back it up is beyond me, but I DID see them in Toys R Us.

And promptly decried them as stupid.

Anyways, here's hoping Toynami can make a decent lion Voltron, like the old die-cast toys(which I was only ever lucky enough to own 2 of).

While knowing that the best we'll get is plasticy crap, and if we're REALLY lucky it won't be 3DVoltron stealth crap.

i want so much to watch the orginal versions of golion and dairugger but cant find them anywhere, even through my "special" channels

Brotha man, those are some of the most highly wanted figures out there. A Godaikin GoLion MIB could easily fetch up to $650-700 US. I've seen complete DX DXV sets go for $500. It's all a matter it seeing it at the right time.

oh no i meant the television shows

i want to know what pidge and his "brother" are really saying. and also i bet the american versions were insanely hacked up

Oops. Sorry. I misread the post :blink:

As I said earlier, World Events lost to rights to Dairugger XV, but retained the self created aspects of it (Meaning they can release Vehicle Voltron eps on tape, but not the original Dairugger XV.)

As for GoLion, They flat out bought it from Toei. Meaning they have access to everything Toei did of GL. I heard WEP is very interested in releasing the original version on DVD (ala Battle of the Planets), but the video distributor, Trimark, wants to hear whether or not the fans want it.

And wouldn't you know, I have their email address! :D

Email them at feedback@lgecorp.com and let them know your feelings.

To Whom It May Concern,

I hear that you have purchased all rights from Toei for Golion, any chance we could see this in its original form on DVD any time soon? I for one would love to read what they were actually saying. A subbed Golion would be great. Second only to a subbed Dairugger, but I have been researching and from I understand that would be a no-go. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

i want so much to watch the orginal versions of golion and dairugger but cant find them anywhere, even through my "special" channels

Beause no one in Japan actually gives a crap about Golion, so it's been forgotten.

Hence why WEP could buy the rights.