SDF: Macross vs Macross Franchise

KingNor

This is a poll from a HARD LINE SDF: Macross fan. As I get older more and more of the Macross Universe is falling out of my favor. I find myself more and more wishing SDF Macross was all that Macross had been.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If you could go back, knowing where the Macross Franchise was headed, would you stop the franchise at SDF?

• SDF: Macross is where my fandom ends. I don't feel the franchise fits the original and would be happier with out them.
    • I like how things are. The franchise has progressed in a way I really like. I wouldln't change a thing if even if I could.

I's say, for me, the two best macross are le original and seven, i do not prefer one over the other.

I loved the first one since i saw it as robotech, and macross seven really felt like a true continuation of that serie, taking things to the next level and finally finishing the left-open story of sdfm.

Then i liked macross zero and macross 2 a little less but they were enjoyable. Macross zero has great animation and helped bridge the sdfm-era with the late macross universe era.

I hate macross plus, it was the second macross i watched, and i never plan to watch it again. It didn't felt macross at all to me.

You could have it happen in whataver scifi universe you wish and it would still work.

I hate macross plus, it was the second macross i watched, and i never plan to watch it again. It didn't felt macross at all to me.

You could have it happen in whataver scifi universe you wish and it would still work.

i agree. i didn't like macross plus. two test pilots competin' so that their design wins the contract is not macross to me. i was goin' to say that they borrowed from ghost in the shell's plot (the singer is really A.I.) but then i read that ghost in the shell (the movie) came after macross plus (no comment on the manga, i don't feel like googlin' to see which one came first).

Well for me, Mac Plus is my all time fave. Then Mac Zero, then DYRL, then SDF at the very end. Never saw Mac 7, don't really wanna either. Frontier is looking particularly tasty too.

I think think that SDF is waaaaaay out dated and kinda boring to watch - but i speak as a mecha enthusiast/fanatic. I don't like the amount of anime magic that went on in SDF, Mac Plus kept it together pretty well and Mac Zero, well - woah, thems was the goods baby, and frontier is just making me all giddy with all the accurate and detailed mecha flying about.

So in conclusion - bring on more Macross franchises! As long Kawamori has something (if not all, Miyatake Kazutaka would also be good) to do with it, I'll be a happy camper. I'll admit story isn't my number 1 priority for Macross, although i do love Macross for that.

The more new Valkyries, the better.

:lol:

This issue has been done to death dozens of times; Macross Plus did just fine. However, it is an OVA, so it suffers from the same problems all OVAs do, which is to say it's not the most popular format. Television series have always been more popular as a format, so any comparison between an OVA and a series will always favor the series (all other factors being equal). Regardless, Macross Plus (being the most expensive anime up to that point) obviously did well enough to justify a movie version, merchandise and continued sale of toys even to this day.

This issue has been done to death dozens of times; Macross Plus did just fine. However, it is an OVA, so it suffers from the same problems all OVAs do, which is to say it's not the most popular format. Television series have always been more popular as a format, so any comparison between an OVA and a series will always favor the series (all other factors being equal). Regardless, Macross Plus (being the most expensive anime up to that point) obviously did well enough to justify a movie version, merchandise and continued sale of toys even to this day.

but that is also one of the strengths of an ova vs. a tv series.

an ova may not be as popular as a tv series BUT...

an ova can target a certain segment of the population and still be profitable (as long as enough of the fans that are targeted go out and buy it)...

while a tv series needs to target a larger and more mainstream audience for it to be successful/popular/keep sponsors & advertisers, ect.

so an ova will always have a big divide. either it was targeted towards you and you will like it or it it wasn't targeted toward you and you will not like.

While I liked Macross Plus a lot - I pretty much have to agree. It doesn't feel very Macross-ish (except for the Valkyrie fighters obviously) and it could pretty much work in any other universe (indeed - didn't the Macross Plus project started as an entirely unrelated project, and Kawamori ended up making it part of Macross because it was the only way he could get the funding ?). That's also why I like Macross 7 and Macross Zero more than Macross Plus... while Plus is a pretty great side-story; it isn't more that that : a side story. While in the end Macross 7 really is (like it or not) the direct continuation of the original series, and Macross Zero remains tied with the "bigger picture" of the Protoculture.

-Sergorn

When i said i hated it, it was maybe too much.

I mean, i hated it because i was looking forward to a new macross, and to me, it wasn't a macross so i was very disappointed.

If it had been outside the macross universe and if i had seen it without expecting a macross, i could have enjoyed it for what it was.

In the end, all comes to what is macross for you, and it can be very different things.

To me macross isn't about valkyries or mechas, it's just a background (or i would say, to have mecha is a way to have the serie greenlight.)

In the same way, i love gundam (especially uc) but couldn't care less about mobile suits. I would prefer those series with less fight and more dialog/character interactions. (0080 is my favorite gundam).

Edited by flobo

I don't feel Kawamori is pulling a Lucas at all. I've seem people saying that Kawamori worked better when he was a cog in a larger production machine, but wasn't that precisely what happened with Macross 7? I've always heard, and looking through the credits in the Compendium it seems to be true, that Kawamori was significantly more involved with the much acclaimed Plus, than M7 where it appears they were under a tight budget, and much moreso than simple "outside influence", all of the scripting and directing duties were handled outright by other people.

That's why I've mostly forgiven Kawamori for Mac 7, since I suspect HIS vision of the story and what ultimately appeared on screen were not exactly the same.. This is clear when you compare all the works he has directed himself to that series. He is more internationally influenced as opposed to domestically influenced.

The point is - it's just a matter of *personal* preference ; and the fact that SDFM was the original has litterally *no* relevance as to wether or not it is the best one - regardless of its historical significance. Or to put a non-Macross exemple ; as great as the original Mobile Suit Gundam is, I still think Zeta Gundam is the better series even though it doesn't have the same historical significance as the original.

(And personally I like DYRL and Macross Zero better than the original series actually - and I love Macross 7 just as much as the original).

-Sergorn

Why I feel SDF:M is overall superior to any later Macross production.

+ More fleshed out storyline; the best of any Macross production. You go from the initial shock of the Zent. assault, the fold out to the edge of the system, the perilous trip back to Earth and the impending disasters awaiting after arrival. It even went to the post-bombardment / reconstruction phase Earth had to face. You had all the back and forth drama between Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. All the combat in between. You felt the overwhelming military power of the Zentradi until the cataclysmic battle over Earth ended. This gave the series a great backdrop to operate in: Space War I. Compared to other Macross productions, this was the era where the UN forces were brought to their knees, to the point of nearly breaking into a collapse. We're not talking skirmishes in some remote area between occasional, randomly wandering Zentradi forces. We're not talking the potential loss of just a single colonization fleet. We're talking the potential loss of Earth, central UN forces... home... before it had a chance to branch out. You saw the UN Spacy go the distance against a determined enemy and come out victorious. Battered, but victorious.

+ Character development; Far more characters I cared for than any other Macross production, compared to Macross Plus, where 2/3 of the main characters I utterly despised; Alot of the interesting characters in SDF:M had their chances to do extensive things within the span of the series. Roy, Hikaru, Misa, Max, Millia, Quamzin, etc... they all had extensive chances to shine over the show, a glaring weakness DYRL? had due to the time constraints. Also, there were NO characters that I hated in SDF:M. Something Macross Plus and 7 failed to do for me. The characters I felt were more "grounded."

+ A wide array of ships and mecha are on display. Warships of varying types. Destroids, VF-1 series, the variety of Zent.Regults, Q-Raus. We see them in small or large numbers. Granted, VF's get to mug the screentime, but Destroids had plenty enough segments (mostly combat) to be shown.

- The one weakness of SDF:M is the up and down quality of animation. A bunch of episodes looked great. Some looked horrendous to the point of embarassment. I was showing the show to a friend who as a recent anime fan. He was thoroughly enjoying it, but seeing these badly animated episodes embarassed me to show it. The only other anime where it had something embarassing when shown to a friend was some of the recycled combat sequences of the old Record of Lodoss War OVA (but everything else was just great for that show).

DYRL? had outstanding quality of animation & artwork, but it was only a movie and the vast majority of characters really only had cameos. Quamzin didn't do s**t but get killed in less than 5 minutes of screentime. The storyline and massive number of events from SDF:M had to be axed out due to the time limitations of a movie. Macross Plus? Great mecha combat. YF-19 and YF-21. But that's it. I hated 2 out of the 3 main characters where it just constantly nagged me the entire show. If the YF's weren't flying, it was a painful sequence to wait until you saw them fly again. Macross 7? It like SDF:M had the luxury of putting a storyline over the course of a series. But the storyline to me, just didn't approach SDF:M's level. There was one character on there that really dragged it down for me (of course, that could be just me). It's just the overall "hokey" theme of M7 to me, including "that one awful character" really put it in a negative light to me.

That's why I feel SDF:M is so superior overall. The animation isn't great these days. But the story, the great sequences in between, the mecha, and great characters more than make up for it. No other Macross production comes close overall, IMO.

Edited by Warmaker

wow, nicely put warmaker, I think you make a fantastic point about the ups and downs of SDF.

everything in SDF is cataclysmic. the fate of earth hangs in the balance, and is in manyways totally lost, then it's the fate of HUMANITY and the mental and emotional jeopardy of the survivors.

when you think about it, what enemy in macross has been so imposing as the space war 1 Zentradi? in the most up-to-date stories, the zents are among us, big or small, they're not new, as an enemy they're muddled, we know we can beat them, infact we know we can beat them with old technology and songs.

in SDF that was all an unknown.

no where else has all of humanity stood in the balance, and conversly, all of "zentradi humanity" since humans essentially saved zentradi from themselves.

Why I feel SDF:M is overall superior to any later Macross production.

+ More fleshed out storyline; the best of any Macross production. You go from the initial shock of the Zent. assault, the fold out to the edge of the system, the perilous trip back to Earth and the impending disasters awaiting after arrival. It even went to the post-bombardment / reconstruction phase Earth had to face. You had all the back and forth drama between Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. All the combat in between. You felt the overwhelming military power of the Zentradi until the cataclysmic battle over Earth ended. This gave the series a great backdrop to operate in: Space War I. Compared to other Macross productions, this was the era where the UN forces were brought to their knees, to the point of nearly breaking into a collapse. We're not talking skirmishes in some remote area between occasional, randomly wandering Zentradi forces. We're not talking the potential loss of just a single colonization fleet. We're talking the potential loss of Earth, central UN forces... home... before it had a chance to branch out. You saw the UN Spacy go the distance against a determined enemy and come out victorious. Battered, but victorious.

+ Character development; Far more characters I cared for than any other Macross production, compared to Macross Plus, where 2/3 of the main characters I utterly despised; Alot of the interesting characters in SDF:M had their chances to do extensive things within the span of the series. Roy, Hikaru, Misa, Max, Millia, Quamzin, etc... they all had extensive chances to shine over the show, a glaring weakness DYRL? had due to the time constraints. Also, there were NO characters that I hated in SDF:M. Something Macross Plus and 7 failed to do for me. The characters I felt were more "grounded."

+ A wide array of ships and mecha are on display. Warships of varying types. Destroids, VF-1 series, the variety of Zent.Regults, Q-Raus. We see them in small or large numbers. Granted, VF's get to mug the screentime, but Destroids had plenty enough segments (mostly combat) to be shown.

- The one weakness of SDF:M is the up and down quality of animation. A bunch of episodes looked great. Some looked horrendous to the point of embarassment. I was showing the show to a friend who as a recent anime fan. He was thoroughly enjoying it, but seeing these badly animated episodes embarassed me to show it. The only other anime where it had something embarassing when shown to a friend was some of the recycled combat sequences of the old Record of Lodoss War OVA (but everything else was just great for that show).

DYRL? had outstanding quality of animation & artwork, but it was only a movie and the vast majority of characters really only had cameos. Quamzin didn't do s**t but get killed in less than 5 minutes of screentime. The storyline and massive number of events from SDF:M had to be axed out due to the time limitations of a movie. Macross Plus? Great mecha combat. YF-19 and YF-21. But that's it. I hated 2 out of the 3 main characters where it just constantly nagged me the entire show. If the YF's weren't flying, it was a painful sequence to wait until you saw them fly again. Macross 7? It like SDF:M had the luxury of putting a storyline over the course of a series. But the storyline to me, just didn't approach SDF:M's level. There was one character on there that really dragged it down for me (of course, that could be just me). It's just the overall "hokey" theme of M7 to me, including "that one awful character" really put it in a negative light to me.

That's why I feel SDF:M is so superior overall. The animation isn't great these days. But the story, the great sequences in between, the mecha, and great characters more than make up for it. No other Macross production comes close overall, IMO.

i agree. i can't think of any tv, movie or anime sequel that i better than the original.

no where else has all of humanity stood in the balance, and conversly, all of "zentradi humanity" since humans essentially saved zentradi from themselves.

And in turn, through their alliance, the Zentradi saved the humans. And despite that glorious unity in a battle that was lost almost as much as it was won, inter-species tensions remained and broke down in the struggle to rebuild. Even looking back now, I'm surprised how much depth SDF has and resonates with human nature and reality for a show aimed at teens and young adults.

Although I agree that the core of macross is SDF:M, it's worth keeping in mind that a TV series just has more room. Those events wouldn't be suitable for an OVA. It's a "One Year War" just like the one in gundam. (its a world war and a majr event in human history like what world war II is in our history in the real world) So of course there is going to be more mecha, more fleshed out backgrounds, more danger (the humans are not on the brink of exitinction) and more attachment to the characters. (because you get to know them over the course of the tv series)

....But that doesn't make Macross Plus crap. It's still a valid addition to the macross "universe" where there are billions of stories and people living in it with experiences unique to them. Eden is just as much an interesting place as earth was in SDF:M. We just didn't have time to see it. Nor the need for firing of the main gun to kill groups of alien ships. So there is going to be less action on a larger scale, and more 'focus' on the individuals involved in the project super nova, with the central theme being Why pilots are still necessary despite endangering their life. Machines are convenient but are they trustworthy when they can be turned against you? (ie the satellites going out of control and attacking friendly targets for example) Humans wouldn't self preserve like a drone but sacrifice themself if they an save lives and go on crazy rescue mission for love or pride - emotions that drones and AI lack. The theme of 'love' and 'being true to your heart, not your logical brain' is in there but myung blocks it out (due to some pain she experienced in the past) just like Misa does in SDF:M. (loss of boyfriend on mars)

Also the theme of "competition and rivalry" is in there just as it was between Roy and Hikaru (for Minmay's attention) in the early eps of SDF:macross where it is hikaru rescuing minmay able to be her protector (like Guld in macross plus acting all high and noble?) and then later Roy rescuing both hikaru and minmay. (one upping hikaru and "leaving him behind" making him look helpless, just like Dyson was helpless when his YF-21 was falling from the sky and being humiliated in front of everyone after acting so confident at the start of the episode).

So yeah although the TV series is going to outshine the M+ OVA in terms of scale, macross plus is still faithful to the themes from the first tv series. It's just dressed up differently. Just because japan didn't accept it, shouldn't get in the way of you accepting it as a valid part of the macross universe. (sticking close the themes without redoing things exactly as they were before)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

everything in SDF is cataclysmic.

Yep, it was a space opera in the fullest sense. It wasn't human vs human, but human vs outside force. Which really helped to remove a good amount of the "introspection of humanity" (for over half of the series run) that most SF has, but was able to keep human emotion one of the story's core concepts. In every other Macross there is a lack of fullest and depth that ran through SDFM. The others were basically SF novellas set in the Macross universe. That includes M7 which fell into the same category of "Humanity vs Humanity/Humanity vs God" instead of a space opera.

I had hoped that MF would go back the the space opera formula, but it looks to be the same as the other Macross series.

Hello people, this is my first post.

I must say I completly agree with the OP.

SDF Macross is by far the best of the whole Macross franchise. And actually I wish all the sequels didnt exists, they are not even half as good as the original.

I liked the original Macross Universe, not the one that Kawamori has been doing ever since.

I liked the idea of a great scale war between Zentradis and the Supervision Army.

I dont like the idea of Meltrans and Zentrans at war, they are supposed to be on the same side damnit. They just dont mingle with each other, period! I dont like the idea of forgetting about the Supervision Army thing altogether. The Macross is a Supervision Army ship, not a Meltran ship!

I liked the idea of cold hearted Zentradis that come into shock because of listening to a nice woman voice singing. I dont like the idea of a sound force that is measured in Chiba units, that comes out from specific people possesing the Force, I mean Anima Spirita. That is sooooo stupid.

I liked the idea a flying machines transforming into robots so they can aim at foes as a human beings would when standing up.

And you know, because they are supposed to fight giant enemies.

But, I dont like the idea of robots having faces, I mean WTF are those Sound Force robots with faces, let alone the pink female robot, what the hell was that? Mazzinger Zeta´s girlfriend on space?

I liked the idea of Zentradis being basically the same as Humans, but gigantic. That makes sense, they can become spies among us when becoming micloned. I liked the idea that most of them were better looking than us, like Millia and any other female Zentradi shown in SDF. I dont like the idea that when Zentradis become micloned they are taller than us, and they all have light-gray skin, what the hell is that? They are supposed to look like us when shrinking damnit!

And can somebody please explain me how can someone sing, play guitar and FLY a VF-19 at the same time? GEEZ!! I think we are lucky Basara didnt dance as well, you know, "hey look at my dance!!! can you see me dancing huh? huh? I want to make that montain move with my dancing!"

Oh and space whales? give me a break

MF looks promising though.

Edited by dakedo

I love SDF. Unfortunately, the only taste of it I've had was through Robotech: The Macross Saga. So no Minmay shower nudity. T_T lol

However, through obvious emotions, some online spanish dictionary consult, and cognates, I was able to watch the spanish dub on youtube of Macross: Do You Remember Love. I loved it! Minmay is alot less annoying in Japanese, too. XD Listening to her sing in Robotech is like fingernails vs. chalkboard for me.

I like some of the mecha in the later series, such as the VF-17S and the VB-06 Konig, but SDF had the best.

I wish there were more releases of Max's VF-1A from the series, not DYRL, and a cheaper Monster MK-II. I was lucky to get figures of both of these in a gashapon set, along with a regult, queadluun-rau, Roy's VF-1S, and Hikaru's VF-1J. They each come with their own little diorama stand, which looks pretty good to boot. The Monster was the chase figure.

Those are now the only macross items I own, aside from the Robotech: The Macross Saga DVD Box Set.

Anyway, I digress. SDF is the best, and I'd really like to get the ADV dub on DVD some time.

Hello people, this is my first post.

I must say I completly agree with the OP.

SDF Macross is by far the best of the whole Macross franchise. And actually I wish all the sequels didnt exists, they are not even half as good as the original.

I liked the original Macross Universe, not the one that Kawamori has been doing ever since.

I liked the idea of a great scale war between Zentradis and the Supervision Army.

I dont like the idea of Meltrans and Zentrans at war, they are supposed to be on the same side damnit. They just dont mingle with each other, period! I dont like the idea of forgetting about the Supervision Army thing altogether. The Macross is a Supervision Army ship, not a Meltran ship!

I liked the idea of cold hearted Zentradis that come into shock because of listening to a nice woman voice singing. I dont like the idea of a sound force that is measured in Chiba units, that comes out from specific people possesing the Force, I mean Anima Spirita. That is sooooo stupid.

I liked the idea a flying machines transforming into robots so they can aim at foes as a human beings would when standing up.

And you know, because they are supposed to fight giant enemies.

But, I dont like the idea of robots having faces, I mean WTF are those Sound Force robots with faces, let alone the pink female robot, what the hell was that? Mazzinger Zeta´s girlfriend on space?

I liked the idea of Zentradis being basically the same as Humans, but gigantic. That makes sense, they can become spies among us when becoming micloned. I liked the idea that most of them were better looking than us, like Millia and any other female Zentradi shown in SDF. I dont like the idea that when Zentradis become micloned they are taller than us, and they all have light-gray skin, what the hell is that? They are supposed to look like us when shrinking damnit!

And can somebody please explain me how can someone sing, play guitar and FLY a VF-19 at the same time? GEEZ!! I think we are lucky Basara didnt dance as well, you know, "hey look at my dance!!! can you see me dancing huh? huh? I want to make that montain move with my dancing!"

Oh and space whales? give me a break

MF looks promising though.

i agree with everything, especially with basara singin' & dancin'.

I love SDF. Unfortunately, the only taste of it I've had was through Robotech: The Macross Saga. So no Minmay shower nudity. T_T lol

However, through obvious emotions, some online spanish dictionary consult, and cognates, I was able to watch the spanish dub on youtube of Macross: Do You Remember Love. I loved it! Minmay is alot less annoying in Japanese, too. XD Listening to her sing in Robotech is like fingernails vs. chalkboard for me.

I like some of the mecha in the later series, such as the VF-17S and the VB-06 Konig, but SDF had the best.

I wish there were more releases of Max's VF-1A from the series, not DYRL, and a cheaper Monster MK-II. I was lucky to get figures of both of these in a gashapon set, along with a regult, queadluun-rau, Roy's VF-1S, and Hikaru's VF-1J. They each come with their own little diorama stand, which looks pretty good to boot. The Monster was the chase figure.

Those are now the only macross items I own, aside from the Robotech: The Macross Saga DVD Box Set.

Anyway, I digress. SDF is the best, and I'd really like to get the ADV dub on DVD some time.

buy the macross DVD set. if you love robotech that much, the awesomeness of pure macross will simply crush you with joy. It's not very expencive and probably the best value per dollar anime in the world!

buy the macross DVD set. if you love robotech that much, the awesomeness of pure macross will simply crush you with joy. It's not very expencive and probably the best value per dollar anime in the world!

but...I didn't think the whole series was released on DVD. I knew ADV did some, but they're missing some, too, aren't they? I also have to keep in mind that I'm in the US, and as such my DVD player is US-regional, and can only play US DVDs. Is there an SDF Macross DVD set available? (dubbed/subtitled w/ english?)

but...I didn't think the whole series was released on DVD. I knew ADV did some, but they're missing some, too, aren't they? I also have to keep in mind that I'm in the US, and as such my DVD player is US-regional, and can only play US DVDs. Is there an SDF Macross DVD set available? (dubbed/subtitled w/ english?)

he's talkin' about this.

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

$35 for the entire season. alot of u.s. anime co.'s will sell just 2-4 episodes for $15-20.

adv set uses animeigo's restored film version, but they didn't use the original sound effects (i heard rumors that they used g.i. joe sound effects instead). oOo, and they adv set cost more last time i checked. $25 per volume and you have to buy 7 volumes (the $35 collector's version is just volume 1, not the entire season).

I weird thing that I think I am noticing is that the more hardline people want Gundam, just with the Macross characters in it, that is, a rehash of the series dressed up as something else. Er, if a new series was wanted at all. Macross was classic because of its cataclysmic aspects and when the humans succeeded - the end.

Macross 7 and Frontier run into other species, but humanity has expanded, so there will never be a similar situation unless there is a human genocide. Macross Plus is the sidestory of characters that exist within such an universe. Macross Zero is the first contact - the first couple of minutes glossed over in the beginning of the series.

As somebody mentioned, Kawamori is great because he has tried to make every series unique, something often lacking in Gundam. Well, perhaps outside of UC Gundam. If the various interpretations of the universe beyond Macross are disliked, that kind of originality is probably disliked as well.

Edit: Erk, I am mostly repeating what various people have been suggesting... My brain must have been shut down.

Edited by marthf1

adv set uses animeigo's restored film version, but they didn't use the original sound effects (i heard rumors that they used g.i. joe sound effects instead). oOo, and they adv set cost more last time i checked. $25 per volume and you have to buy 7 volumes (the $35 collector's version is just volume 1, not the entire season).

I'm pretty sure you get both jap audio and eng dub. But people say they think the audio for the japanese sounds better on the Animeigo 'japanese audio only' set due to being higher quality or something?

I'd just buy the ADV one: you get to hear mari again as an older minmay stuck inside a teenager's body! :D And hikaru sounds 12 years old so it's like there are these predatory older women trying to compete for the love of a little kid, which is weird.

I'm used to it though after hearing the dub for gundam seed where the singing is redone in the dub in english and it sounds like the singer has an 'older lady' voice when singing and a younger voice when talking..:D

I weird thing that I think I am noticing is that the more hardline people want Gundam, just with the Macross characters in it, that is, a rehash of the series dressed up as something else. Er, if a new series was wanted at all. Macross was classic because of its cataclysmic aspects and when the humans succeeded - the end.

Macross 7 and Frontier run into other species, but humanity has expanded, so there will never be a similar situation unless there is a human genocide. Macross Plus is the sidestory of characters that exist within such an universe. Macross Zero is the first contact - the first couple of minutes glossed over in the beginning of the series.

As somebody mentioned, Kawamori is great because he has tried to make every series unique, something often lacking in Gundam. Well, perhaps outside of UC Gundam. If the various interpretations of the universe beyond Macross are disliked, that kind of originality is probably disliked as well.

Edit: Erk, I am mostly repeating what various people have been suggesting... My brain must have been shut down.

Firstly, welcome aboard to MW! I've never seen Gundam, but I think I still qualify as one of the Macross "hardliners" ^_^

I've never minded new additions to the Macross franchise. But for me, SDF:M had done so many things so well that since it did things right as the first production, subsequent ones are compared to it, at least for me. Where I went off on a tangent was when someone said that SDF:M is the most inferior Macross production out there, so I went out and shot that full of holes.

The basic premise of other Macross productions is actually fine by me, but most of them have major, major faults involved.

Macross Zero: Prequel leadup to SDF:M, UN & Anti-UN War, more Roy goodness. I wish there was more and I didn't like the mysticism aspects, but in general it was ok. Just not long enough for me.

Macross Plus: Testing the YF-19 & YF-21 for acceptance into general UN military production (why they eventually produce BOTH, I have no idea... why even have a trial to compete the 2 models then?) with 2 great test pilots. Where it went awry with me were the 2 test pilots themselves who were both douchebags, with the other one (the main one) having the additional trait of being an a**hole.

Macross 7: Follow the exploits of one of the colonization fleets. To colonize. To seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldy go where no Valkyrie (or Max) has gone before. That basic idea was fine with me. But it went awry for me for 2 major reasons. 1 truly awful character that made me despise the show. The hokiness of the enemies.

I liken the opposition in Macross 7 to SDF:M to what Batman fought against. The enemy and combat in SDF:M were like the enemy in Batman Begins. The theme and opposition in Macross 7 where like how the 1960s Batman TV show was. Controlling a VF with a guitar? VFs with Breastesses? Hokey Meltrans? Space Monsters? Should I go on? :lol:

Well, there are 2 things from Macross 7 that I like. Bridge Bunnies: The Sequel. Max & Millia. And that's it!

It's not so much that I don't want more Macross productions. It's just I wish the subsequent ones didn't stumble so much. It's like watching someone fall and thinking, "Jeez, that had to hurt."

OMG I am so buying this. I was thinking I'd try to get some VF figures, but I remember when I got the Macross Saga on DVD, how happy it made me. Best $50 I ever spent!

[edit] WTF!? That's not $35! It's $40!!! Shipping is $9!!! Holy crap#!$@#$!@%

I bought it anyway. Need to start saving money again. carp carpity carp carp.

Edited by VenomMacbeth

Macross Plus: Testing the YF-19 & YF-21 for acceptance into general UN military production (why they eventually produce BOTH, I have no idea... why even have a trial to compete the 2 models then?)

I thought they only ever made a few of those yf/vf 21/22 though? You don't see anyone but max milia and gamlin using the vf22. These are like the "ferrari of mecha" in the show rather than mass produced. (almost as rare as the clown valks)

General Galaxy still loses out for not having won the contract to have their design be the mass produced mecha for those special missions requiring the fold booster.

I actually thought the girl in macross plus was the annoying one. Asking people to not fight when they are paid to kill stuff in giant robots and test dangerous machines that are experimental. What does she expect? You can't learn new things if you don't push yourself beyond your old limits. That nature of survival is being better than what the other guy is so you can win. (else there would be no need to advance and un spacy can just get by on vf-11 valks)

Her need to fake how successful she is in the OVA by flaunting that she has moved up in the world reminds me of why everyone is going to hate Sheryl in macross frontier! :D In anime I've always liked characters that were grounded in reality (Hikaru, Dyson, Rey from mospeada) more than ones who put on a fake attitude. (Myung, Misa, Houqette from mospeada, Sheryle)

It's the pioneers who take all the dangerous risks that future generations who enjoy those advances (that came about from the experiments), take for granted - innovative ideas and improvements to existing things can't come about by strict obedience to rules and taking the 'safe' path. It seems to be the message behind that show. (human innovation vs programmed behaviour, man vs machine, people vs the system)

that's the exact same set as the one on rt.com, the only difference is that it is missin' the "outer sleeve". rt.com actually sells the outer sleeve for $10.

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=237

you could buy the set as 3 separate volumes and spend more money than is needed...

http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Set-1-Vols-1...2405&sr=1-2

$23.98 new

http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Set-2-Vols-4...2405&sr=1-4

$34.98 new

http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Set-3/dp/B00...2405&sr=1-1

$37.29 new

equals $96.25 and you have to pay s/h for each separate volume.

notice that some ppl sell the "new" and "used - like new" for more than i listed, i went with the lowest priced new set.

or buy all 3 volumes as one set with an additional outer sleeve to store all three sets in and SAVE money.

$39.99 new

they are both Animeigo's box sets, doesn't matter which one you get...

I'm pretty sure you get both jap audio and eng dub. But people say they think the audio for the japanese sounds better on the Animeigo 'japanese audio only' set due to being higher quality or something?

I'd just buy the ADV one: you get to hear mari again as an older minmay stuck inside a teenager's body! :D And hikaru sounds 12 years old so it's like there are these predatory older women trying to compete for the love of a little kid, which is weird.

I'm used to it though after hearing the dub for gundam seed where the singing is redone in the dub in english and it sounds like the singer has an 'older lady' voice when singing and a younger voice when talking..:D

adv set, then my friend's will want to watch the dub while i hate dubs. i buy the "only subbed" dvd set whenever i can.

i was forced to watch city of violence dubbed when i wanted to watch it subbed, lucky that i wasn't at my house.... now i have to rent it just to see how the story really went ('cause they like to rewrite lines and scenes when they dub them).

or buy all 3 volumes as one set with an additional outer sleeve to store all three sets in and SAVE money.

$39.99 new

they are both Animeigo's box sets, doesn't matter which one you get...

I bought that one. It's on it's way now! But...it says it's uncut and unedited. It uses different audio, did you say?

I bought that one. It's on it's way now! But...it says it's uncut and unedited. It uses different audio, did you say?

i heard that adv has different audio. vvvvv

when i tried orderin' it, rt.com canceled my order but i had enough money in the bank, so i didn't re-order it 'cause i didn't have $50 to spend on macross anyways (bills, bills and more bills)... so i haven't seen the animeigo's version yet...

It really is up to you how important you want to get a set with a dub on it. I think you could live without it, but there are always some people who refuse to watch anime with subtitles because they hate staring at the bottom of the screen.

Personally I prefer watching with the japanese audio and subs. (I don't like it when sounds effects are tampered with)