SDF: Macross vs Macross Franchise

KingNor

This is a poll from a HARD LINE SDF: Macross fan. As I get older more and more of the Macross Universe is falling out of my favor. I find myself more and more wishing SDF Macross was all that Macross had been.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If you could go back, knowing where the Macross Franchise was headed, would you stop the franchise at SDF?

• SDF: Macross is where my fandom ends. I don't feel the franchise fits the original and would be happier with out them.
    • I like how things are. The franchise has progressed in a way I really like. I wouldln't change a thing if even if I could.

i like the native language to be with the media, it almost always sounds better.

maybe it's because i can't understand them but it seems to me most japanese voice actors do a better job emotionally than their american dub-arists.

perhaps because anime/animation is more accepted for adults in japan the pay is better and the quality is higher or something.

I'm like this with all movies though, if hollywood makes a movie about germany in ww2 i want the movie to be in german, not a bunch nazi's speaking english at each other.

i like the native language to be with the media, it almost always sounds better.

maybe it's because i can't understand them but it seems to me most japanese voice actors do a better job emotionally than their american dub-arists.

perhaps because anime/animation is more accepted for adults in japan the pay is better and the quality is higher or something.

I'm like this with all movies though, if hollywood makes a movie about germany in ww2 i want the movie to be in german, not a bunch nazi's speaking english at each other.

I'm in the same boat. I prefer hearing characters speak their native languages when it's proper.

The WWII flick "The Longest Day" was really good in that regard. You had Germans speaking *gasp* German! French soldiers & resistance speaking... French! And just as well is that British and American characters sounded different, with us Americans using our "version" of English :lol:

For "Letters From Iwo Jima" you had Japanese actors speaking their language.

And too bad (IMO) for "Enemy at the Gates" to not have more proper Russian and German actors, speaking Russian and German. But that's just me.

I also get a humerous kick out of seeing fake, overexaggerated accents. Americans pretending to be English and all that.

To me, it's part of the immersion of the setting, mostly for somewhat modern settings. After all, I don't expect anyone to do a proper Roman Empire or Classical Greek setting in old school Latin or Greek. If someone does, they have some brass balls :lol:

Edited by Warmaker

i agree. i have korean and japanese movies (chinese and thai movies are next) with no english dubs, they are import dvd's and i have a region free dvd player. i hate it when my friend's want to watch the dubs of american released foreign movies sayin' things like "it's better in english". that's like sayin' that the fresh prince of belair is better dubbed in japanese (that's the only american show that i know is dubbed in japanese).

I'm in the same boat. I prefer hearing characters speak their native languages when it's proper.

The WWII flick "The Longest Day" was really good in that regard. You had Germans speaking *gasp* German! French soldiers & resistance speaking... French! And just as well is that British and American characters sounded different, with us Americans using our "version" of English :lol:

For "Letters From Iwo Jima" you had Japanese actors speaking their language.

And too bad (IMO) for "Enemy at the Gates" to not have more proper Russian and German actors, speaking Russian and German. But that's just me.

I also get a humerous kick out of seeing fake, overexaggerated accents. Americans pretending to be English and all that.

To me, it's part of the immersion of the setting, mostly for somewhat modern settings. After all, I don't expect anyone to do a proper Roman Empire or Classical Greek setting in old school Latin or Greek. If someone does, they have some brass balls :lol:

tomb raider had the americans fakin' british accents and the british fakin' american accents...

• 2 weeks later...
I'd actually really like that. enough greeks with brit accents, seriously.

When I was in college, I took a class in Ancient Greek (NOT a fun language), and a bunch of us rented Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. When Socrates spoke at the end, we struggled to understand what he was saying, but none of us could...because the actor was speaking MODERN Greek. I think we'd all have been happier if he'd been speaking like a Brit...

Oh and space whales? give me a break

MF looks promising though.

Have you ever flown with space whales. Get yerself an amiga emulator and find the rom for the game Starglider 2.

Space whales are cool.

Or read about the space whale in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (this space whale was not so lucky).

Or watch the videoclip of Passenger by Powderfinger.

Wait, I think that this topic needs its own thread.

Byeeeeeeee

Taksraven