Curently Watching SDF Macross TV Series

misterryno

B.S., without Robotech, Macross would be in much better shape in the U.S., with Funi, Bandai, & ADV fighting over who licenses what over here! Also, if you don't like robotech bashing, go to robotech.com. This is Macross town!

Thanks for the adult replies. How would Macross be in better shape in the US, untill the internet most RT fans never heard of it despite the lies from people saying they liked Macross better in the 80s. Im not going to change anybodys mind but on here, you cant even get Robotech fans to be honest. Like I said, I like both but RT fans are keeping Yamato in business because we like both, unlike Macross fans who will only buy Yamato and Macross only items, you guys alone are not enough to keep them in business.

Thanks for the adult replies. How would Macross be in better shape in the US, untill the internet most RT fans never heard of it despite the lies from people saying they liked Macross better in the 80s. Im not going to change anybodys mind but on here, you cant even get Robotech fans to be honest. Like I said, I like both but RT fans are keeping Yamato in business because we like both, unlike Macross fans who will only buy Yamato and Macross only items, you guys alone are not enough to keep them in business.

RT fans do not comprise the majority of the people buying Yamato Macross toys. The majority of them buying are Japanese Macross fans. Not us, nor the fans who like Macross and Robotech(which is in the minority). Some of us are watching Macross for the first time so we can't help but notice how much better it is. Robotech is okay, sure I grew up on it, but now as an adult, I like Macross so much more. There are also fans such as Graham who were exposed to Macross first in the 80's before Robotech.

Yamato cannot legally cater to us due to the legal issues with Harmony Gold and Big West over who owns what in the west.

With that said, and going by what you said, NONE of us are able to keep Yamato in business.

DAMN GUYS!!!! I started this thread to say how much I loved the Macross SDF TV Series. I do not care who does and does not like Robotech. I think everyone is entitled to their own opion but do it somewhere else. Start a thread or something. Just don't use mine to bash and all that s***! There....nuff said.

:ph34r:

DAMN GUYS!!!! I started this thread to say how much I loved the Macross SDF TV Series. I do not care who does and does not like Robotech. I think everyone is entitled to their own opion but do it somewhere else. Start a thread or something. Just don't use mine to bash and all that s***! There....nuff said.

No kidding!!! I was looking at one of the post saying how sad the last Episodes were when Misa came to see Hikaru and when I hit F5 by mistake, all I see is this crap about Robotech this and that, why it is better or worse! I thought I was in the wrong thread!! Plus this thread is about "how much I loved the Macross SDF TV Series" nothing else. Please don't thread crap! DAMN!!

By the way I LOVE MACROSS, that's why I am here, that's why I joined this site!

Edited by Fai

This site wouldn't be here if we didn't. Macross would be dead by now if it never made it over seas so keep up the robotech bashing Kieth. It shows your age.

Even adults do it so I don’t know. Macross didn’t exist in the US in the 80s and to Exsedol, I know for a fact that RT fans accept Macross as well as RT and if it wasn’t for all the US dealers like BBTS and all the other online and collector shops bringing Yamato to the US they would have been gone. The US supports Robotech and Macross, Japan does not support RT. I am new to MW.com but I have been collecting for over 20 years and I know what I am saying. Everybody on here will argue with me because you guys hate so much that BIG WEAST won’t give up certain things so you pretend to hate. The one thing I hate the most is people who grew up on RT come here and get punked into hating their childhood memories and to then say they sold all they RT toys and DVDs to get Macross, like it’s impossible to like both. Macross is better overall but to say RT is crap because of that is so childish.

to Exsedol, I know for a fact that RT fans accept Macross as well as RT and if it wasn’t for all the US dealers like BBTS and all the other online and collector shops bringing Yamato to the US they would have been gone. The US supports Robotech and Macross, Japan does not support RT.

That's exactly what I said...

This site wouldn't be here if we didn't. Macross would be dead by now if it never made it over seas so keep up the robotech bashing Kieth. It shows your age.

I am Shin, Kieth is another guy here. You're showing your age obviously, because you are so sensitive to the truth.

Macross 7 did not depend on us. Macross Plus did not depend on us. Macross II did not depend on us. Macross Zero did not depend on us. Macross F will not depend on us. There isn't even a guaranteed go ahead for domestic Macross F merchandise here and yet Macross F is still being made. Regardless if we watch or not, it will still be made. Do you honestly think a company or companies would pour in several thousands of dollars into making merchandise for an audience that they cannot legally cater to? Its what we call a waste of money. There is no doubt Yamato wants to sell us stuff domestically, it would be cheaper and easier for everyone and a whole lot easier to get replacement parts. Again they cannot due to the legal hold ups between Big West and Harmony Gold. Big West did not send the cease and desist letters, that was Harmony Gold. Had Harmony Gold not confronted Toycom on one fateful day at SDCC years back, we might have gotten Macross toys domestically from Yamato. It was Harmony Gold that did not give up things, not Big West.

After seeing Macross and liking it more than Robotech, I'm not going to lie here and say Robotech is just as good in my opinion, when it isn't. This is my opinion uninfluenced by what anyone else said prior. Oh and don't even label me as one of the guys who traded in his Robotech stuff for Macross, I am one of the guys who defended the MPC after it came out, and became a fan of the MPC VF-1 & I still like it now.

As mentioned in my previous posts there is a lot of characterization in Macross that did not transfer over to Robotech.

I am Shin, Kieth is another guy here. You're showing your age obviously, because you are so sensitive to the truth.

Macross 7 did not depend on us. Macross Plus did not depend on us. Macross II did not depend on us. Macross Zero did not depend on us. Macross F will not depend on us. There isn't even a guaranteed go ahead for domestic Macross F merchandise here and yet Macross F is still being made. Regardless if we watch or not, it will still be made. Do you honestly think a company or companies would pour in several thousands of dollars into making merchandise for an audience that they cannot legally cater to? Its what we call a waste of money. There is no doubt Yamato wants to sell us stuff domestically, it would be cheaper and easier for everyone and a whole lot easier to get replacement parts. Again they cannot due to the legal hold ups between Big West and Harmony Gold. Big West did not send the cease and desist letters, that was Harmony Gold. Had Harmony Gold not confronted Toycom on one fateful day at SDCC years back, we might have gotten Macross toys domestically from Yamato. It was Harmony Gold that did not give up things, not Big West.

After seeing Macross and liking it more than Robotech, I'm not going to lie here and say Robotech is just as good in my opinion, when it isn't. This is my opinion uninfluenced by what anyone else said prior. Oh and don't even label me as one of the guys who traded in his Robotech stuff for Macross, I am one of the guys who defended the MPC after it came out, and became a fan of the MPC VF-1 & I still like it now.

As mentioned in my previous posts there is a lot of characterization in Macross that did not transfer over to Robotech.

Reeks of truth, but know one here has forced me to think the way I do about the two it's IMHO, but I beleave SDFM is much more mature and was probably designed for a slightly older audience but macross would survive without a US or western audience, it's just more money if they can tap into it which allows the show to expand, but if Macross had to just stay in Japan it would still survive.

Shyeah, the U.S. anime industry is so strong, that companies keep dropping left & right. :) Macross has never been dependant on the U.S. fanbase, and robotech fans don't even begin to make up a fraction of Naruto & DBZ fans. Never have, never will.

That's it!!! Too all of you who cannot quite bickering about who likes what better and which is better. THIS THREAD I STARTED TO SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE THE SDF MACROSSS TV SERIES. THAT IS ALL THIS THREAD IS FOR IS TELLING TO EACHOTHER OF HOW MUCH THEY MAY LOVE SDF MACROSS THE SERIES. THIS IS NOT A PISSING CONTEST OF WHICH ONE IS BETTER. IF YOU WANT TO START A THREAD OF WHICH YOU THINK IS BETTER...THEN DO SO AND I WILL GLADLY CHIME IN. UNTIL THEN........NO MORE BASHING AND ALL THAT S***!!!!! Edited by misterryno

Reeks of truth, but know one here has forced me to think the way I do about the two it's IMHO, but I beleave SDFM is much more mature and was probably designed for a slightly older audience but macross would survive without a US or western audience, it's just more money if they can tap into it which allows the show to expand, but if Macross had to just stay in Japan it would still survive.

What you said is true too. It was for an older audience, thats the reason why there were parts cut out from it when it was shown in Robotech. Macross 7 and Zero survived without a western audience. Depending on the legal holdup, it still might have to stay in Japan for F, but it will survive even without the western audience.

Watching SDF Macross makes me want all the obscure valks in toyform. Like the dark blue one in the first episodes. The tension between Hikaru and Misa is great. The smart ass vs lady uptight.

Watching SDF Macross makes me want all the obscure valks in toyform. Like the dark blue one in the first episodes. The tension between Hikaru and Misa is great. The smart ass vs lady uptight.

Thanks for this Shin........This is what I wanted to hear come from this thread. I'm with you on the wanting of all the obscure valks.

Thanks for this Shin........This is what I wanted to hear come from this thread. I'm with you on the wanting of all the obscure valks.

No prob man. After watching the first few episodes, now I know why nearly all of us here want a 1/48 VF-1D. I want it because though it isn't shown much, its important, and memorable. People always know Hikaru by his VF-1J, but the D was his first valk to fly. Heck, already repaint potential with Max's Virgin Road. Its his first experience to valkyries, the one he saved Minmay in, and the one he transformed for the first time. One overlooked design that never got its due so to speak.

Just noticed too, when Hikaru first signs up to Spacy, he is under Skull Team, but lacks the markings.

Just think how cool it would be if you could go back and see SDFM on it's TV release back in 84/85? See all those chunky monkies in the shops for the first time. It would be awesome to relive that moment.

I to would love to get my hands on some of those obscure valks, thats what Yamato should be doing as Limited versions. A new perfect transfomation 1/60 scale but first they should start with the SDFM valks.

It's odd in SDFM that Roy's VF is the only one with the skull markings, I guess thats why they put them on all skull squadron valks in DYRL.

Just think how cool it would be if you could go back and see SDFM on it's TV release back in 84/85? See all those chunky monkies in the shops for the first time. It would be awesome to relive that moment.

Heh, I was theeeeere man (takes drag from pipe). I remember it like it was yesterday.

Well, the stateside version of all of that, anyway...

Edited by myk

Heh, I was theeeeere man (takes drag from pipe). I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was there too....just the alzheimers won't let me remember any of it LOL :huh:

Well I was old enough but it was never shown in Oz on TV and I can remember it was about 1992 when I first saw SDFM for the first time when I found a video store that had most of the tapes. But to you guys that got to see it when it was originaly released you are so lucky to have had that in my books. You miss a lot of stuff in Australia but it's a great place even if it is the a%% end of the world.

Misterryno I know this is about SDFM but have you seen DYRL and did you like it, as I got to see DYRL before SDFM and it blew me away and now that's my all time fave macross over everything else.

I was there, i was in asia when DYRL hit and I remember seeing all those chunky monkeys on the shelves at retail stores. I also remember my cheap ass dad not buying any for me... he bought golf clubs instead. 20 years later, I still love macross while he sold those clubs at a garage sale.... ^_^

Well I was old enough but it was never shown in Oz on TV and I can remember it was about 1992 when I first saw SDFM for the first time when I found a video store that had most of the tapes. But to you guys that got to see it when it was originaly released you are so lucky to have had that in my books. You miss a lot of stuff in Australia but it's a great place even if it is the a%% end of the world.

Misterryno I know this is about SDFM but have you seen DYRL and did you like it, as I got to see DYRL before SDFM and it blew me away and now that's my all time fave macross over everything else.

Yes...I watched DYRL also before I watched SDF Macross. I like them both.....I think I liked DYRL a little less.....only because it was not as explanatory as SDF.

Well its been about half a year since I've seen the remastered DVD's of SDFM by Animeigo, but wow when I saw the original Macross in remastered format I was extremely pleased. I admit I use to be a robotech fan who used to watch it on Cartoon Network when they re-aired it on Cartoon Network in the early 90's. However now I'm a young adult now and I prefer the mature story of SDFM. The beautiful re-mastering is just the icing on the cake B)). Hurray for SDFM.

I think there might be a few scenes were the VF-1A's flying with Roy have skulls too. It only lasts for a few seconds and the skulls were small.

I wish we could have seen the VF-1D in more than 2 schemes. The thing is combat capable, its possible there were squadrons that used the 2 seater for long range CAP flights, with the backseater taking over flying while the pilot rests.

Also, I think Max had more relevant scenes in his VF-1A than his 1J. His J has importance of course, because it was his personal mount and has more visual appeal, but his VF-1A is where he made the most impressions. Sure his 1A looks plain in comparison, but its important. Puzzles me why his is still not made.

I love it as well. Clearly superior. Only thing I don't like is some of the english dub voicework. While I would never say Robotech is better, they did have a couple better voice actors. Roy's and Gloval's. I don't know why, but the only thing good about RT is Dan Woren did a GREAT job as Roy. I liked Gloval's voice, because it added more diversity to the cast by having a European (Russian?) commander. Really added to the whole "united govt." thing. Plus, it was nice to see a Russian calling the shots rather than an American. However Hikaru's and Minmay's voices in Macross are way better, and far less annoying.

I think there might be a few scenes were the VF-1A's flying with Roy have skulls too. It only lasts for a few seconds and the skulls were small.

I wish we could have seen the VF-1D in more than 2 schemes. The thing is combat capable, its possible there were squadrons that used the 2 seater for long range CAP flights, with the backseater taking over flying while the pilot rests.

Also, I think Max had more relevant scenes in his VF-1A than his 1J. His J has importance of course, because it was his personal mount and has more visual appeal, but his VF-1A is where he made the most impressions. Sure his 1A looks plain in comparison, but its important. Puzzles me why his is still not made.

You're right about the skull markings on other fighters, you see them twice in Boobytrap.

I love it as well. Clearly superior. Only thing I don't like is some of the english dub voicework. While I would never say Robotech is better, they did have a couple better voice actors. Roy's and Gloval's. I don't know why, but the only thing good about RT is Dan Woren did a GREAT job as Roy. I liked Gloval's voice, because it added more diversity to the cast by having a European (Russian?) commander. Really added to the whole "united govt." thing. Plus, it was nice to see a Russian calling the shots rather than an American. However Hikaru's and Minmay's voices in Macross are way better, and far less annoying.

Except that Global wasn't American, it was Italian. Besides which, the character design doesn't even look Russian.

Wouldn't that make him a fire fighter? :)

Nope.....it would make him Rett Butler (Gone With the Wind<----for anyone who does'nt know who this is)

I liked all the dubs better in macross than RT. In RT they all sound childish and minmay makes me want to pop my ear drums. I think glovals english/italian accent is better than russian too. In the ADV dubs they made it a goal to make gloval sound like he was an italian that learned english in england so he has that british twang but you can still pick out a light italian accent.

Just finished "bye bye mars" and "longest birthday". Both great episodes. Never realized Max became an ace in one day! On his first combat mission even. Hikaru kicked ass on "bye bye mars". I saw all those battle pods around him, waiting for skull 1 or others to support him, but turns out he destroys them all on his own(awesome sequence with the VF-1J turning and firing at the pods with the head lasers in different directions per angle).