SDFM Inside Story: Macross Classic Radio Drama

MilSpex

I finally got around to listening to my copy of the CD and with my limited Japanese have enjoyed it quite a lot.

I have two questions for those more familiar with it:

1) I`m presuming the Millard character a younger version of the base commander in Macross Plus?

2) Is there a synopsis of the story available in English online? I can`t find one.

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of it before, tell us more

I heard it takes place after the final battle with Bodolza during the early part of the reconstruction era. It deals with the birth of Max & Millia's daughter & how Millard injured his leg as a member of Hikaru's Skull Squadron. There was an tv episode where Hikaru was patrolling wasteland on the comm with a Black pilot. Was this pilot a young Millard in the animation?

Macross Classic is based on the four episodes that were originally made for the original series. It is an official part of the Macross Timeline, and the last time we hear Arihiro Hase as Hikaru Ichijo before his death. Millard is in the story to show that he was a pilot back during the Reconstruction Era. One story deals with Hayase's B-day and I know another has to do with Max and Millia finding out she's pregnant. It's been a while since I listened to it. I also remember there was talk of Hikaru testing the VF-X4 in the drama. If I am remembering right

I believe it is an offical radio drama, Renato posted a synposis along while back.

Thanks for remembering, man. ^_^

CLICK HERE! Synopsis... from my younger days. Don't laugh!

Ah, those naive days of geocities. Boy, do I feel like I'm typing this in 1998. :lol:

Edit-- that's a link to a REALLY OLD version of the page WITHOUT Macross Classic on it... it should come after Ai wa nagareru. Aw, crap, I'll just find the right file and post it later... might be a couple of days later though. -_-

Edited by Renato

If we could get an accurate translation of this radio show, then maybe somebody could post a mini macross movie using scenes from sdf tv as a kind of slide show with subtitles.

Yeah, I proposed splicing the audio with flash animation many years back. The general consensus was that it would end up as being one of those never-ending projects which remain unfinished forever. We would at least have been 5 or 6 years into it by now, though. :(

I was thinking something along the lines of a "The story of Star Wars" and "the story of empire strikes back" fan edited movies by Movealong (faneditor at www.fanedit.org).

Movealong used footage from star wars movie and the star wars album to form a type of slide show. Maybe the Macross radio dramas could be sync 'ed with SDF tv or dyrl footage?

Edited by boinger

• 2 weeks later...
Talk of Millard popping up in the original TV series reminds me a bit of Robotech's idea that every black character should be part of the same family.

Why not? It helped to work things together, and I think in the 80s people still might have had trouble accepting Rolf as Bowie's father, for some reason some americans still seem opposed to interacial marriages. So it just gave us more tie-ins to make the series multi-generational, besides there was a black kid in New Gen who wasn't a Grant right?