Display cases (need opinions)

rewooh

I want to evenutally get a display case for my macross items.

i (of course) am looking at ikea and needed some opinions. I'm just looking for something simple.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...productId=12738

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...productId=12142

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...104*10173*10411

i'm not sure if i'll get those or a wall shelf. *shrug*

Edited by rewooh

man, I wish Ikea still stocked those stand up display cases that was glass all around. Those were better as the corners didn't have a solid piece as the ones in the links have. But they were 99 bucks. Maybe they'll have those again someday. ;)

man, I wish Ikea still stocked those stand up display cases that was glass all around. Those were better as the corners didn't have a solid piece as the ones in the links have. But they were 99 bucks. Maybe they'll have those again someday. ;)

They do.

They have a square light wood top and bottom piece, but the rest is all glass and two thin metal "ladders" that hold the shelves up and supports the structure. But it's glass all around.

I know because I have mine about six feet away, and I only got it just over a month ago, and it was new, too, i'd never seen it there before.

That's really slick! I've seen those turntables before and there are many others to choose from, but $20 is a good price, anyways are they battery or wall socket powered? AC prefered IMO.

I hope those lights aren't to bright which might discolor the valk cuz those turntables are ussually made to display crystals & gems.

Try putting one of your 1/48 yammies on display stands on a rotating one. Its niiiiiiiiiiiice :D ! BTW the rotating one is better used with a battery!

Wow cool thread! Can someone give me a recommendation to which type of glass should come with the shelf? I would like to have glass doors, but I find that they are fragile at the hinge attachment on any display shelf. Any suggestions on some really strong glass?

EDIT sp.

Edited by kensei

man, I wish Ikea still stocked those stand up display cases that was glass all around. Those were better as the corners didn't have a solid piece as the ones in the links have. But they were 99 bucks. Maybe they'll have those again someday.  ;)

They do.

They have a square light wood top and bottom piece, but the rest is all glass and two thin metal "ladders" that hold the shelves up and supports the structure. But it's glass all around.

I know because I have mine about six feet away, and I only got it just over a month ago, and it was new, too, i'd never seen it there before.

Really? I guess the burbank one is sold out then. I didn't see any there at all. And the one I prefer is the one with the black wood on the top and bottom, but if those are all sold out, then I guess I'll have to settle with just the regular wood one. I prefer this style only because you can see everything in any angle without anything blocking the view. I might have to go searching for the black one at a different Ikea. Thanx for the heads up on that. :p:D:lol:

I don't think so.... I bought mine at the Burbank one!

When were you last there? Maybe they were temporarily out of stock or something. You were looking just past the stereo and TV cabinets?

I prefer this style greatly. Not only does it present a better viev of your valks (and Mobile Suits, in my case :) ), it directs attention to them, whereas the bigger ones, with the big corners distract from the contents. The other ones also look like they belong in some country farmhouse or something, while the ones like I got look like a store or museum display, almost. They look much more "right" with figures inside them, I picture the other ones containing china, or classware, or little porcealin birds, or something..

Edited by Commander McBride

well, I was particularly looking for the black wood finish version, which goes well with my room. Anyway, I was there like a couple of weeks ago and saw the one you have but it was out of stock. But no black finish. I'll just wait till after christmas to get one. :p:D:lol:

yeah, of course they made one in black, or else I wouldn't want one. When the VF1X site was still up, he had one and had all the old bandai and takatoku valks sitting in there, and the looked great! Plus my friend bought one and he's using it for his statue collection. I just don't know if they plan on making more the of the black one or not. :huh:

99 dollars is a bit expensive, don't ya think?

i'm prooly gonna shoot for the ingo. Its 79 dollars...and pretty decent deal to me

I'd recommend spending the extra $20 to get the all glass cabinet. The wooden one looks kind of cheap in person. I haven't seen the glass one in person.

I have one of the larger cabinets (see my .sig). All glass isn't an alternative in my current apartment since there is too much sunshine to protect against. I plan to get one of the all glass cabinets once I move to a house. My collection is already overflowing the one I have. :p

99 dollars is a bit expensive, don't ya think?

i'm prooly gonna shoot for the ingo. Its 79 dollars...and pretty decent deal to me

I'd recommend spending the extra $20 to get the all glass cabinet. The wooden one looks kind of cheap in person. I haven't seen the glass one in person.

I have one of the larger cabinets (see my .sig). All glass isn't an alternative in my current apartment since there is too much sunshine to protect against. I plan to get one of the all glass cabinets once I move to a house. My collection is already overflowing the one I have. :p

wow, i like yours.

i'm assuming you sepnt 100+ on that?

yea, acutally..you're right it is 20 bucks more..but i think i'd have to see in person as well. luckily theres an ikea 15min away from me.

I'm still a big fan of checking out store closures and buying old store display shelving real cheap. I have a few tempered glass displays that assemble using chromed metal brackets that tighten down. I think I may have all the parts but one piece of end glass to make a third on my back porch but I would have to check. They aren't as big as the one pictured above... probably only holding 3 1/48s in any mode on the top shelf and 3 in fighter mode on the bottom shelf... but at $5 for all of them they were good enough for me ;)

I Really recommend the Detolf Glass cabinet. I have 4 of them and they looks pretty nice. Also you can put them side by side and the look real cool.

I can fit 5 1/60 valks withput a problem and the 1/48s with FP attached also fits perfectly in the spce... but I can only put two. buuu

I only have this old picture. I was moving to my new place... still had two more shelfs to put toghether and of course the toys... but it can give you an idea.

I went to Ikea today to check out all the display cases. I saw the Notrop (SP?) Ingo, and the clear glass one standing side by side. The clear glass one looks the best for displaying valkyries. It doesn't have anything to obstruct the view, isn't too big, and looks descent. The only problem is that the shelves do not look like they are adjustable. For people wanting that flexability, they might want to stay away from the clear glass one. I can't buy the clear glass one because I have a 16 inch unicron to display. I think the shelves will accomodate up to 14 inches.

The Ingo selling for $79.00 I thought looked pretty bad. The design is fine but the wood they used was terrible. It's kind of like a toynami MPC :D

The Notrop was probably the best looking one in terms of just the appearance of the display case. The silver one only sold for $150.00 and is more modern to match the valkyrie toys. For a warmer wood feel, you have to pay more. The only problem is the beams obstructing some of the view. Otherwise, a nice piece but a bit pricey.

I just got a deal I couldn't pass up. Some of the glass is broken on the doors, but I got 3 sets of BILLY cases with doors and 2 other BILLY shelves without doors. All have height extensions. All for 250 bucks. I also got a sofa bed with it for another 250. Have to pick them up this week. Can't wait! I'm gonna start displaying a ton of my stuff.

I Really recommend the Detolf Glass cabinet. I have 4 of them and they looks pretty nice. Also you can put them side by side and the look real cool.

I can fit 5 1/60 valks withput a problem and the 1/48s with FP attached also fits perfectly in the spce... but I can only put two. buuu

I only have this old picture. I was moving to my new place... still had two more shelfs to put toghether and of course the toys... but it can give you an idea.

I love your cabinets! I think the perfect cabinet would be the two of those made into one. :)

Sebastian, going by your pic, it looks like a 1/48 in battroid with FAST Packs will not fit in the Detolf case. Just I'll have to keep looking for a case that's just right.

EDIT> My bad. The angle of the pic looked like it wouldn't fit. Will have to go and check it out in person.

Edited by mechatek