Ratatouille

Premiering on June 29 is Disney and Pixar's eighth film Ratatouille ("rat-a-too-ee"), a story of a rat named Rémy who aspires to become a great chef. Directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles, The Iron Giant), Ratatouille features the voices of stand-up comedian Patton Oswalt as Rémy, and Pixar employee Lou Romano as Linguini. Also starring in the film are Janeane Garofalo (The Bowler in Mystery Men), Ian Holm (Bilbo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings), Brian Dennehy (Big Tom in Tommy Boy), Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia), and John Ratzenberger (who has voiced a character in every Pixar film).

So far, I have yet to see a bad Pixar film. And let's face it: Pixar's the only thing keeping Disney animation alive. Since DreamWorks dropped the ball on Shrek the Third (which has made nearly $300 million, but still disappointed millions of fans), the only viable competition for Ratatouille is Sony Pictures' Surf's Up! (which has generated a lot of positive reviews). It will obviously be overshadowed by Transformers (which premieres four days later), but the film will still be a major hit this year.

post-237-1181659918_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Over at the AnimePunch forums, JsARCLIGHT posted a great review of this movie. Has anyone else here seen Ratatouille?

Yes.

The movie is good. Some strange plot points but Pixar gets it to work rather well. One of pixar's better films, and that is saying something as even their lesser movies are still pretty good. It is a movie that will age well overtime, unlike other movies like shrek and the sort.

On a side note, the Lifted short that precedes the movie is also well done and enjoyable.

Edited by marx

I've loved all of Pixar's offerings up until Cars, which still seems like "the cheveron commercial: the movie!" And while I've heard nothing but good things about this one, I'm just not that interested in seeing it.

My girlfriend and I saw it the other day.

It was a cute movie... wouldn't say it was the best I've seen over the summer or the best Pixar movie I've seen (Shrek 3 for this summer, Transformers for overall).

Good for laughs, but I didn't see it (personally) entertaining enough to buy someday.

Been there, done that, bought a t-shirt and LOVED it!!!

and i'd do it again. it was a cute movie definately worth watching.

i think it really is the only movie that i've enjoyed. (havent seen potter yet).

I saw it yesterday with my kid and I wasn't really impressed. It wasn't nearly as fun a kids/family movie as Cars and it had nothing like the excitement of The Incredibles. Despite it being about a talking rat who likes to cook, you have to accept an even more bizarre premise about the rat's partnership with the wannabe cook

- the rat can can control the human's actions by pulling his hair. WTF? Yes the rat controls the human by pulling on his hair. He's not just signaling the human - it even works when the human is asleep!

That was just too off the wall for me.

And it just wasn't that funny. Wacky rodents being chased around? We've all seen Chips & Dale (Disney) and the unfailingly polite Goofy Gophers (WB), a million times, right?There was very little in the movie that really couldn't have been done live action with cgi characters (for example Garfield or the upcoming Underdog)

I suppose after the Incredibles - which I consider the best superhero movie ever made - and Cars - the favorite family movie of my son's young life - I had higher expectations for Pixar. It's interesting that the "New Disney" regime is basically the old Pixar. I suppose the two camps will have to meet somewhere in the middle. A good thing for Disney but it means the Pixar energy will be watered down with the Disney mediocrity.

Edited by DestroidDefender