My 1/48 GBP Custom

promethuem5

Hi all,

These are some much nicer new pics of my 1/48 GBP custom... decked out with Anasazi decals. These pics were taken with my much better camera for the custom gallery... shows the flaws much clearer. The one thing that immediately sticks out to me is the chipping... I think I might go back and redo it, but otherwise I'm happy with it.

post-2015-1180489518_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1180489532_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1180489548_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1180489567_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1180489585_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1180489600_thumb.jpg

I can do a write up later today if I can remember all of what I did... I've gotta head off to school now, take a college math placement exam online this afternoon, and go to work tonight, but I'm sure I can squeeze it in by tonight :lol: If I remember correctly, I really didn't do that much besides decaling and panel lining, followed by some pastel weathering...

Great work! The weathering is prominent enough to look good, but not so much that it takes over the entire color scheme. The poses and the photography is pretty good too. THanks for sharing.

Edited by Mr March

I wonder if yamato would ever do a weathered gbp like what they attempted with the low vis? (but failed since the stuff rubs off on your fingers)

GBP looks like it would be good with weathering. Maybe people who have no time or skill to do it themselves would go for it? (provided it looked decent)

If they ever did destroids in the future I would love to see weathered ones. (make up for the fact they are non-transforming)

I think it would suit destroids since they are likely to get all dust and dirt on them from walking around on the ground all the time and are likely to get battle worn from not being able to manuever, so all kinds of used slightly damaged parts from rushed repairs would be used. I think a monster with mars dust on it wouldn't look too bad. In the tv series I think there is one point where a regult actually destroy a monster like a cannon fodder valk with a single shot though. :) So I don't know how strong the monster would be and what damaged armor would look like if it were 'real'. Would you see all kinds of burn marks? Holes? stuff showing underneath like the structure inside the mech where their used to be armor? (like how you can see the insides of the fast packs if you take the FP covers off)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...

I can do a write up later today if I can remember all of what I did... I've gotta head off to school now, take a college math placement exam online this afternoon, and go to work tonight, but I'm sure I can squeeze it in by tonight :lol: If I remember correctly, I really didn't do that much besides decaling and panel lining, followed by some pastel weathering...

So you used pastels? How do you apply them? Did you have to apply clear coating over the whole thing or not?

I know you think this is too simple to write down a tutorial, but that's the beauty of it. I'm not very skilled at modelling so I'm looking for whethering technique that's simple and easy to fix if make any mistakes. Once I learn to do it my Yamato Scope Dog will be my guinea pig, I can't stand it all nice and clean anymore. Ugh!

So you used pastels? How do you apply them? Did you have to apply clear coating over the whole thing or not?

I applied crushed up black, brown, and rust colored pastels with a brush... they were art pastels I cannibalized, so they didn't stick that well, and took alot of work to get on the toy. I clear coated the whole thing afterwards to get it all to stay... since doing this, I've found the Tamiya weathering sets, which are weathering stuff about the consistency of women's eye-shadow and come with a brush and spongey applicator... they are amazing and work so much better... there are also weathering pigments you can buy, but they are a bit more advanced to use and work best with some thinner washes and alot of finesse, and don't clearcoat well... the Tamiya sets are great for beginners... just grab yourself a whole bunch extra cheap women's spongey tipped makeup applicators... the rest of the custom was basically just drybrushing the edges of the armor, panel lining, and decaling with some of Anasazi's wonderful decals... jsut make sure if you are going to apply waterslide decals that you gloss coat the toy/model first and have some decal setting/softening solution... basically a slightly caustic solution that will soften the decal so it snuggles down for that painted on look. If you have any more specific questions I'll gladly help you out... I've got three Yamato Scopedogs and have big plans to take them apart, remove any mold seams, add a cast metal texture to heavy parts like the shoulders, add weld seams where appropriate, and repaint them completely someday when I get an airbrush... and weather the crap out them. I've got one Scopedog decal sheet Anasazi made me ages ago, and am still looking where to get more made, bc/ I need decals made for all the weapons sets, a second SD, and a Brutishdog... :D

EDIT: Sorry for thje rambling, unstructured help... I'm suuuper sick and my head feels like its full of fluff.

Edited by promethuem5

I can wait to see your Scopes when you're done with them BTW.

Ha, yeah, me too... they're a ways off and currently in storage bc/ I'm working at a summer camp for the summer and then off to college...

And yeah, the Tamiya weathering sets are awesome and really versatile... alot of people don't like them for their consistency compared to normal weathering pigments, but for beginners, I think they are much better... I use some dry pigments for dirt and such now, but I still like to use the Tamiya sets for things like barrel scorching and some dirt effects... alot of people don't like them, but really, they do have a specific place in modelling...

EDIT: They're also some Tamiya weathering sticks I think, and I think those have a slightly thicker almost putty or lipstick like consistency, but I've never used them and know nothing about them...

Edited by promethuem5

I've found the Tamiya weathering sets, which are weathering stuff about the consistency of women's eye-shadow and come with a brush and spongey applicator... they are amazing

They are the dogs bits