Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty

So, about the campaign:

Arcturus was pretty much keeping tabs on Tychus since the beginning, forcing him to kill Kerrigan for his freedom. Yet even with him under his control, he still had no clue that the Raiders were going to reveal his dirty secret about Tarsonis to everyone? Sure, it's an optional mission, but really?

Great game, I really enjoyed the first one and was worried that the sequel would not be as good cos they didn't change much of the game play to something similar to other recent RTS like company of heroes etc. First impression it's just the old starcraft with new graphics, but its still really fun to play and the story is always good. I like games with stories :)

Never played an RTS online before, I Might try this since i had to create a battlenet account. That's something I hate about PC games these days, some require you to be online just to play single player also. :(

It doesn't require you to be online. I've played the game offline once or twice because Battle.net was down or it just didn't respond.

Honestly, I think it was a great idea for them to retain a lot of the gameplay aspects of the first game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just make some enhancements here and there and throw a couple of new concepts in to keep things fresh. If it's one thing that gamers don't deal with very well, it's their response to massive change. Every once in awhile, a game comes out that changes everything and does well, but most attempts end up destroying the game and the franchise that it's associated with.

It doesn't require you to be online. I've played the game offline once or twice because Battle.net was down or it just didn't respond.

I know, i was refering to other games, especailly the recent games being released by Ubisoft, they require you to be online all the time which pisses me off. They won't let you play single player unless your online, and if their server is down you can't play at all. Starcraft 2 rquires you to create an account first in order to play it offline. If you don't have internet to create one then you can't play either.

I don't know....the missions don't quite feel epic enough.....

have to agree with you there, at least pertaining to the final mission. even on hard difficulty it's ridiculously easy if you opted for mind control and going up against air units. once you mind control a couple of brood lords the kerrigan threat is neutralized and from there one could amass a fairly hefty airforce of mutas. spamming mind control is so powerful they probably should've made your mind controlled zerg vulnerable to the energy nova if you choose to use it, which incidentally would also have been more consistent with how the nova works. and the ground zerg waves were never really credible; not enough ultralisks to force you to build thors or banshees. the last zeratul mission was much more challenging as a defense mission, or at least more involving since you had to build/replace continuously and microing was essential to fend of the hybrids. i feel for a finale mission they should've made it longer perhaps multi-stage; scout several zerg bases around the primary hive, select one to wipe out and install the the relic, then defend until it's fully charged.

having said that, i thought the rest of the game was epic. production values were top notch, the challenges extend play value beyond the campaign, achievements provide some replay value, and the attention to detail and extra backstory material (eg. at the armory and laboratory) enrich the experience. the non-linear mission selection could've been thought out better though-- the coherency and build up of the story suffered if one jumped around mission strands too much. i feel they could've crafted a more powerful story by forcing some of the mini story arcs to be completed in sequence and/or made some of the choices in-mission. this way the cut scenes could coherently build up the story, either that or they should've made more alternate cutscenes to cover the permutations; that to me adds tons of replay value.

well, now comes the wait for the next installment. in the interim i have just one request to blizzard: please give the license to hot toys so they can immortalize raynor in black marine armor with a death's head faceplate and a BFG!

I have not gone online yet... but despite not being groundbreaking, the campaign is enjoyable. I just love the whole Southern twist to the Terran faction :p . I'm in the final stretch now, just landed on Char.

First thing I do when I hit the cantina is play Sweet Home Alabama... admit it... you do it too.

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing the first Starcraft recently, and realized that it is almost possible to recreate the original missions (maybe just the Terran campaign) with the Map editor. Balance issues aside, if you could rip most of the sound effects and dialogue from the first game and limit the kinds of units you can produce per mission, it could be. Anyone into mods hear about a similar plan already at work?

I have not gone online yet... but despite not being groundbreaking, the campaign is enjoyable. I just love the whole Southern twist to the Terran faction :p . I'm in the final stretch now, just landed on Char.

First thing I do when I hit the cantina is play Sweet Home Alabama... admit it... you do it too.

Raises hand.

On another note, I'm at the point where I have to choose between two missions.

The last artifact or Korhal. Just one quick question though if I choose the last artifact mission will the Korhal mission disappear.

I heard from a friend of mine that when he played through all the missions on the Bridge (all the way to the Char mission) the missions in the Laboratory disappeared. :huh: Don't what that to happen as this point of my campaign really. :ph34r:

I heard from a friend of mine that when he played through all the missions on the Bridge (all the way to the Char mission) the missions in the Laboratory disappeared. :huh: Don't what that to happen as this point of my campaign really. :ph34r:

true, when you get to the char mission all other missions get locked out, by design, not a bug. they did this for story continuity and momentum in this last leg of the campaign.

so you should do all the other missions you care to do before taking on char.

don't forget to call down MULEs at the start of mission. the economic boost should allow you to build hive mind control towers early without compromising funds for your bunker and turret defense. it'll also let you kickstart your upgrades research if you call down MULEs everytime they're available. put HMC towers at the extremes of your perimeter and nab yourself some broodlords. kerrigan will be too busy playing with broodlings to even get near your base.

true, when you get to the char mission all other missions get locked out, by design, not a bug. they did this for story continuity and momentum in this last leg of the campaign.

so you should do all the other missions you care to do before taking on char.

Thanks for confirming that. :) Taking on Korhal in a few minutes. :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

Destroy the science facility on the lower right of the map to unlock a secret mission

LOL!!! I actually discovered that facility by accident. :wacko: Went a little overboard with an all Banshee (heavily upgraded) attack force on this one. :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

• 6 months later...