1/48 Max VF-1S Quetions

dizman

Hi all, i was just wondering, whats the easiest way to make a 1/48 Max Vf-1S? Ive been waiting a long time for yamato to make one (im sure he will eventually since he made a kakizaki) but now im sick of waiting and decided to make one myself. Can any of you please help me? Thank you.

Hi all, i was just wondering, whats the easiest way to make a 1/48 Max Vf-1S? Ive been waiting a long time for yamato to make one (im sure he will eventually since he made a kakizaki) but now im sick of waiting and decided to make one myself. Can any of you please help me? Thank you.

Easiest way is to buy a recently re-released Max 1A and then pop a Roy head on it. You may want to color the red/yellow dot on the upper face.

You may want to grab the wings off a Roy 1S as well since it will have the proper 001 number on it.

I've been wanting a 1/48 VF-1S Max for a long time too. I'd pretty much have to buy two 1/48's (1 Roy and 1 Max) at roughly $150 shipped each = $300. And I'd still be left with a bastard VF-1A in Roy's colors with Max's number on the wing. Not a bad deal if you have the skills to use the left over bastard valk for a custom, but I do not possess such skills. As such, I would have a useless 1/48. That's what's stopped me from making a Max 1/48 VF-1S thus far

Seems to me you could just buy a Roy and repaint it. The paint design of the DYRL valks (if memory serves me right) are all the same only differing in color and Max's valk was 001. If you want a really good job, it would be a good idea to dissassemble the toy so you can get inbetween the cracks and seams.

Seems to me you could just buy a Roy and repaint it. The paint design of the DYRL valks (if memory serves me right) are all the same only differing in color and Max's valk was 001. If you want a really good job, it would be a good idea to dissassemble the toy so you can get inbetween the cracks and seams.

Sure. That's a good way to go if you can paint. I, unfortunately, cannot :(

Sure. That's a good way to go if you can paint. I, unfortunately, cannot :(

That would be a problem ^_^

However, at least this paint job would be pretty simple. Wouldn't be that hard to mask the areas you want to preserve (since the paint designs are all just straight lines) I'd say it'd be a cheaper and easier way than to buy 2 valks; one being just for parts.

My Max VF-1S consisted of:

One VF-1A Max body.

One VF-1S Hikaru head and wing.

Then I painted the head arrows. Done and done.

It doesn't look 100% factory done but I'm very satisfied with the end result.

Heh, well I dont really feel like buying a whole other valk just to get a max vf-1s and im not all that great at painting either. Heh, maybe I'll just wait till the day Yamato releases a Max 1/48 (if that day ever comes). Thanks for the help anyways.

buy 2 valks to make one is by far the easiest but most costly.

buying a cheap ass 1S roy and painting is the way to go IMO.

i can't paint worth a damn but i still managed to do a decent job on other simple customs i've done in the past.

all you have to do is use some masking tape and paint away, its really that easy. the hardest part is painting the tiny ass head arrows but you can cheat and just apply a blue sticker, then cut around the arrow with an exacto knife and remove the excess.

The repaint is the cheap way to go if you can get a used VF-1S from ebay. The only thing that is hard is polishing the heatshield to remove the black paint so that it can be repainted blue.

Used a Q tip, brasso, and an electric drill just put masking tape over the skull on the front.

But to be honest if I had the money I'd do the Max VF-1A wing head conversion then all you have to do is paint the arrows before remounting the head.

I found the easiest way to get Heatshields redone was to use some good sandpaper, sand the paint off, work up to super fine grits, then super fine toothbrush + toothpaist brushing, then a coat of Future on the bottom, then Color paint of choice, followed by another coat of Future :p

The process only takes like 1-2 hours depending on how well you can use sandpaper.

Just be careful not to crack the heatshield >:0

buy 2 valks to make one is by far the easiest but most costly.

buying a cheap ass 1S roy and painting is the way to go IMO.

i can't paint worth a damn but i still managed to do a decent job on other simple customs i've done in the past.

all you have to do is use some masking tape and paint away, its really that easy. the hardest part is painting the tiny ass head arrows but you can cheat and just apply a blue sticker, then cut around the arrow with an exacto knife and remove the excess.

Another way to paint those pesky arrows is to brush paint on by using a pointed end toothpick. Use Gundam Marker Blue for color, or try your hand at color matching. Just dip the toothpick as you would a brush, remove excess paint by brushing on paper first, and apply remainder to the arrows. It works like a charm. ;)

Hmm, ya know, now that I think about it painting isnt such a bad idea afterall. Ill practice on my 1/100 VF-1S first and see how that comes out, then maybe ill buy the 1/48 VF-1S and try that. Can anyone reccomend a paint brand to use.

So, I took the plunge and bought another 1/48 VF-1A Max. I also purchased a 1/48 VF-1S head from a fellow MW member. I will need to paint the arrows on the VF-1S head as I don't want to use the sticker method. Can anyone recommend a specific brand + color of paint that closely matches the color of blue used by Yamato on Max's 1/48 VF-1A?

honestly, the detail is so small that a perfect color match is totally unneeded. don't use baby blue but something thats fairly close and it'll be good enough.

seriously, you're just going to drive yourself nuts, i say save yourself the time, money, and hassle of trying to buy every paint known to man just to match a tiny ass detail.

Edited by do not disturb