Your Favorite Voltron & Optimus Prime figure?

xsjado

what is the best voltron figure in terms of durability and sculpt? The MPC toynami? Also, is saying Voltron the equivalent of calling macross "robotech"? Should i call it GoLion instead?

and... favorite Optimus Prime/Convoy figure?

any other really amazing transforming mecha from the 80's (besides the above listed and macross of course) that i'm forgetting?

thanks!

Still got my "Lionbot" from...1985 I think? Still in one piece, still shooting eye gouging from across the room missiles, plenty of DIECAST. LOVE the toy. Durable as hell and pretty accurate. Toynami Voltron is more anime accurate but not sure about durability. I really don't like the way Green and Red lion connect to Black.

Convoy/Prime? G1 for nostalgia(and my first transforming toy).

RiD Prime/Fire Convoy followed by 20th Anni Convoy/Masterpiece Prime.

Yeah, the original Chogokin Go-Lion/Godaikin/Lion-Bot was already pretty impressive, so I really don't have a hankering to go after the Toynami version. If anything, the 54cm tall 'Voltron Mighty Lion Vehicles' version is prabably the most impressive version of the design... it's TWICE the height of the old DX Godaikin:

[attachmentid=42245]

As for Optimus, the MP-01 is also a shoo-in for favorite rendition. I know some folks like the smaller Hybrid Convoy, but the vehicle mode is just messed up... even with Shoji Kawamori's involvement.

Other cool combiners from the 80s? Some of the pre-Power Ranger era Super Sentai robots were excellent designs. Although today we can recognize the 'head-jet, body-tank, leg-truck' configuration from a mile away, Dynaman/DX Dynarobo is probably one of the best renditions of this basic gattai formation... with a feat of engineering in the diecast swivelling cab for the legs/truck.

Another favourite Sentai robo is Flashman/DX Flashking... It really surprised me how the arms are integrated into the robot... not as part of the usually head/jet or tank/body, but linked ingeniously with the legs to form 2 jets. The round shield forms an EW radome on one of them. Someday, I'll do a detailed review on this toy...

post-75-1177610790_thumb.jpg

I had the matchbox Diecast Voltron which I always loved. But what I loved MORE was Vehicle force Voltron. it cops a lot of flak and was unliked by many, but i always thought the vehicle force team was kickass. one of the few early toys I REALLY regret selling.

In terms of Prrime....I have to admit, I REALLY liked the Cybertron Prime. He looked awesome in both modes, his supermode looked even cooler and his weapons were great. He has some cool gimmicks, he has a Matrix...just a wonderful toy all round.

And, though he needs a trailer, Classics Prime isnt to bad either!

Never had any Voltron toys, so I can't really comment on them. The Toynami one looks nice, but how fun is it?

Classics Prime is by far the one Prime to rule them all. Pity he lacks a trailer. I don't have one yet, but I'll list G1 Prime as my second. I know from my old Power Master Prime, that bases add a lot of playability to a toy. Cybertron Prime runs a close third. Two solid bot modes, and he turns into a pretty cool looking artillery piece. (and, I don't generally like sci-fi alt modes.)

is there any difference between mp-01 & mp-04 prime besides the trailer? is there a difference in quality between the two versions? also is there a difference and quality & materials in the takara counterparts?

thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

is there any difference between mp-01 & mp-04 prime besides the trailer? is there a difference in quality between the two versions? also is there a difference and quality & materials in the takara counterparts?

thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

I believe the general consensus is that the first issue MP-01 had the best finishing and QC.

The reissued MP-01 was hit-or-miss; some folks reported that theirs had shoddier paintwork and/or chest panels that didn't close properly.

The MP-04 was considered a rip-off because not only did the main robot have the QC problems of the reissued MP-01, the trailer seemed to be a mere 'scale-up' from the THS Convoy and lacked the sidekick Roller.

Of course, the problem now is that visually you can't tell an original MP-01 box from the reissued version... the packaging is exactly the same down to the mis-spelled 'MORE THAN MEETS TEH EYE'. A friend who didn't want to open his original MP-01 went for the Hasbro 20th Anniversary OP instead, because he could at least visually inspect the paint and chest-fitting through the window packaging, notwitstanding the too-short smoke stacks.