1/48 Hikky Head Movement Mod.

ruskiiVFaussie

IPB Image

IPB Image

Just a small incision in the back of poor Hikky's neck, and yay he can turn right to see Hayao getting

some nasty advice from Millia about losing weight and vice versa! The slight incision was done so

i can turn the head fully left and right but also not making it too loose or 'floppy'. No glue was needed.

Whats everyone think? Makes a difference to the normal straight ahead scenario doesn't it?

Yes this is the 1st edition VF-1S Hik, so the harder plastic versions might be more of a pain.

What i want to do in the future is modify another 1/48 pilot so that he can stand upright and pose it next to the parked valk.

Yamato take note, this business cutting off the feet on pilot figures is not on!! Pilots need to be perfectly crafted for mine.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

RuskiiVFaussie Great mod to the pilot. Did you use an exacto knife with a thin narrow pointed blade?

Yes, you got it! It's just got to be mega sharp that's all. :D

Be careful not to go too deep, just enough on the rubber pilots, so you can feel about and

make it so you can turn the head right or left without making it too weak and eventually breaking off.

To be honest i figured i had to cut it clean off and use a mini 'pin' or a slight dab of glue.

Arrghh i can't remember if i incised in the front of his neck too!!! >_< sorry!

I should do it when i'm sober right guys. :unsure::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah i think you may need to incise at the front but just try to go from the back and feel it out ok.

I'll take some more pics when the other half has woken up. Thanks for the comments!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Yeah well i took some pics and i'll load it up later. As i said of course it would be better to cut it clean off and use a pin,

but i was lucky it worked fine first time. When i do 'relieve' the head of it's position it goes straight back into foward position.

You do need to 'pressure' the head onto the shoulder pads and slightly turn it so it stays in place, but hey works for me. :p

By the way i also stuck a little glue onto the 'arms' so he's not doing a thunderbird impersonation trying to control the valk.

Hands are closer, looking like they are touching the controls.

Looks much nicer. Anyone else tried that? ... wait for my pics and i'll show yas.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Yes, Sober is better. Had an exacto knife find its way into my knee. It was an interesting sensation and really got my attention. Talk about a buzz-kill. :wacko:

I should do it when i'm sober right guys. :unsure::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by Fly4victory

Yes, Sober is better. Had an exacto knife find its way into my knee. It was an interesting sensation and really got my attention. Talk about a buzz-kill. :wacko:

Lol that's nasty. Well i guess i get these little sparks of ideas and then i try the mods but i forget to

record the events don't i! lol

Looks great! It's the details that make the difference! - MT

Ain't that the truth mate. :D Cheers MT!

Did that about 17 years ago still have the scar to prove it, went in to the hilt of the handle. Bled like a mother. too. Didnt hurt much until I pulled it out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

There we go guys. Notice the left hand on the throttle and the right is lower for the control.

Don't mind the horrible stickers that peeled a tad, this is my first Valk, and they are still

holding strong lol, only had to replace a couple of stickers to have it completed with decals.

Bloody Yamato stickers! :(

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The mod can be done on the hard plastic pilots too, but you basically have to slice the head off and do the metal pin trick. Here's mine...

[attachmentid=42017]

And don't bother modding the pilot to stand up, get one of the Seika pilot sharpeners and remove it from the base. It's exactly 1/48 scale.

[attachmentid=42018]

post-78-1176771535_thumb.jpg

post-78-1176771644_thumb.jpg

Pretty Cool Mod

NICE! Very cool Mechamaniac.

>> found the link for the sharpeners here. <<

but.. Since 2003??? Fat chance of getting them now lol.

Anyone have any that they'd recast and happilly sell to me??? ;):p

I'm sure everyone will like a standing VF-1 pilot to display next to the valks.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

And don't bother modding the pilot to stand up, get one of the Seika pilot sharpeners and remove it from the base. It's exactly 1/48 scale.

Only if they are over 6' tall...

See this thread on the old forums: http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwfarc...360;hl=knight26

Edited by Knight26

[attachmentid=42018]

Who made the 1/6 scale figures in you picture. The Misa looks like the Ari one but Im not sure about the others.

Also the sharpners are appearing on eBay at the mo but are a bit pricey for the full set.

Who made the 1/6 scale figures in you picture. The Misa looks like the Ari one but Im not sure about the others.

Also the sharpners are appearing on eBay at the mo but are a bit pricey for the full set.

Those aren't 1/6, the Misa and Minmay in the front are CM's figs on custom stands I made. The Minmay in the back is a 1/6 scale that you can get on TMP Anime's site.

Somebody recast the standing pilot figs, I can't remember who. I'll see if I can find out.

The taller Minmay is a TMPanime exclusive. The other two are CM'S I think.

Those aren't 1/6, the Misa and Minmay in the front are CM's figs on custom stands I made. The Minmay in the back is a 1/6 scale that you can get on TMP Anime's site.

Somebody recast the standing pilot figs, I can't remember who. I'll see if I can find out.

Cool, i'd buy a couple of pilots if they were recasted. Cheers