When to throw out the kit you're just not enjoying...!

cowie165

I have this Academy 1/144 Su-22 and it is just driving me nuts.

There are a few panels to rescribe. The intake cone just isn't circular. There is no wheel well detail. The cockpit sucks and the paint job is going to be more time consuming than a 1/72 jet.

When do you guys make the decision to turf a kit? I've only junked one kit before, and that was a loooong time ago. It's just that I'm sitting here finishing my last two 1/144 whilst dreaming of a nice 1/72! I feel so dirty...! :p

Mark

My advice, never by Academy :)

It's never fun when you're on the verge of throwing things away. The closest that I have right now is the crappy Amt X-wing, which is a skill 2 snap-fast. In my opinion it requires a little more skill than that to build. Not that I don't have the skill, but how disappointing for a beginner to start with such a lousy kit. I think I prefer Bandai when it comes to easy kits :)

ChaosWarrior

Don't throw it away, recycle it. Your Valks always need something to make them feel better, like a burnt out SU-22 in a diorama. You don't really have to burn it, but then again... :lol: . - MT

There's only one way to truly quench your feelings towards a crappy kit...

Glue a bottle-rocket onto the model and let it go in a blaze of glory. And don't buy one of those cheasy little bottle-rockets. Get a big one. I'd film it, too, for later enjoyment.

I used to have over 100 models (pre-airbrush days) in my basement. 99.9% of them went up in smoke! That was a great day!

:)

-THOR

Yep, ok then I'll hang onto it. I guess I'll burn that bridge another day... cheers guys!

and lol @ THOR's pyrotechnics. When I was a kid I used to douse mine in lighter fluid and throw them across the yard, but I like your way a whole lot more

Edited by cowie165

There should be a guy that comes around to your house and bullies you into getting of your arse and making models.

I know I'd sure get moving if some ninja was standing at my shoulder threatening deadly action.

IMHO get off that piece of junk and get on with building macross stuff - you know you want to :)

Edited by Berttt

If it's not fun, destroy it. Just IMHO, but it's incredibly therapeutic. Now, if it's like 75% done, it's *usually* worth finishing. But not if it'll be hell to do so. Far better to spend the time on a different kit that you'll enjoy.

If the model is already built I would save it and use it for spare parts if I decide to kit-bash there's always a part of a kit I could use somewhere else. Or i could give it to someone that might appreciate the effort on having it build.

If it is unbuilt I can either try to sell it on ebay or save it for kit-bashing as well. there's nothing worst for me that having a ton of unbuilt kits and little space left I could use to store other models....

Also if I wanted a kit that bad and bought it, after a while, I would give it some thought and make sure that I still wanted to have it on the long run..if not then sell it away.

There's always another cool kit that you are going to want to have...

never destroy a kit, put it in the spare parts box, or the model-graveyard box. You never know when you are kit-bashing something and think, "what would work great here is an Su-22 intake spike, or a vertical stabalizer."

I don't know how many projects were made easier by having a ready supply of parts doners, but I'm sure it's a large percentage.

But academy, they suck. I'd just stop now. The sooner you stop the less paint you have to strip and parts you have to disassemble when it comes time to operate on it.

Edited by Phyrox

Well, my method doesn't preclude saving spares (I always do). I have many prefect condition F-14 parts, from an F-14 I destroyed (that kit deserved it, I am not the only to find that the plastic is resistant to all glue). Pluck off all the good bits, then destroy the rest.

Also, Academy does not suck. They're like most other companies---it varies. Their F-8 I'm working on now probably has better fit and quality than just about any kit I've ever built in my life. It literally clicks together, and glues wonderfully. And their 1/32 Hornet is often considered about the best jet kit ever (until Tamiya's F-16 came out). But some of their kits totally suck. Same for Revell--their F-15E rocks, one of the best jet kits out there. Many kits are average, some suck.

Even "premier" companies like Hasegawa and Tamiya can have bad kits. There are only a few companies that consistently suck, normally the pure knock-off companies like Kang-nam etc. (and IMHO, Airfix)

PS--Academy *decals* inherently suck though, up there with Dragon's for being utterly unusable.

Also if I wanted a kit that bad and bought it...

You have a great point there. I DID buy the kit for a reason. I'll shelf it for a while and look to motivate myself again soon.

Also, Academy does not suck. They're like most other companies---it varies.

Phew! Great to hear David because I've always heard good things about Academy and now have a few.

1/144 was really just practice but as it turns out the effort is about 80% of a 1/72 kit anyway! I mean, once the paint is loaded what does it matter if you're spraying a little longer! :)

Edited by cowie165

never destroy a kit, put it in the spare parts box, or the model-graveyard box. You never know when you are kit-bashing something and think, "what would work great here is an Su-22 intake spike, or a vertical stabalizer."

I don't know how many projects were made easier by having a ready supply of parts doners, but I'm sure it's a large percentage.

But academy, they suck. I'd just stop now. The sooner you stop the less paint you have to strip and parts you have to disassemble when it comes time to operate on it.

Exactly my thoughts

I'll echo some of the earlier replies in agreement.

If you're very close to finishing and problems arise, finish the project. I hate leaving things unfinished. But then again, if it is that much of a problem, canx the project altogether.

But then again, if you're still learning about model making or you're resharpening your skills after being away from the hobby a long time, it may be a good idea to keep plowing through. Better to imrpove yourself on mistakes and lessons learned on this FUBAR'ed project than on a later one where you have a more expensive, rarer kit.

Ideally, you don't want to chuck it away. You want to salvage as many parts as possible for the spares box. Alot of great modellers eventually make something out of that trash for future work. "Kitbashing" also is kind of related, where you combine several different models (scales and genre sometimes) to make a single special one.

One extreme example: The guys at Industrial Light and Magic kitbashed all kinds of different model kits to make up their Star Destroyers :ph34r:

Many people have devoted a lot of time and effort to figure out exactly what parts from what kits are on all the SW filming models--they've been quite successful. I think by now, nearly everything on the Millenium Falcon is identified. IIRC, there's a lot of Lamborghini Countach parts on it...