1/48 GBP with a '2' seater valk? Possible? John's 1D?

ruskiiVFaussie

Guys, i meant to ask this ages back, not sure if it is possible or not.

With John's 1D kit, can anyone suit it up in a GBP? Pics? :D Interesting!

And if and WHEN Yamato decide to give us what we want with an official 1D and then a VT and a VE,

would it even be possible? lack of room? I'm in russia now, all my valks are back at home.

Anyone with the 1D completed can try it out? I'd be dissapointed that's for sure if it can't be suited up.

I guess what im saying as well is do you think the VT and VE have any hope of being compatable.

Without stuff being forced too much, i.e. breakage, or something. :unsure:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

*eliminates one possiblity for 2007*....

LOL

Shame as would have been great if they had finished the line. I for one would have jumped at a two seater or Elint.

At least I have my 1/55 Super O and Elint.

Maybe they could come to some fiscal agreement with John about his work on the 1D conversion at least the hard works almost done there.

It's a big shame as the heatshield has been proven to work. I don't care if they have to do a new mold for the main part of the 1/48 VF-1, it's about time they got off their lazy asses regarding the 1/48 and done something new with it instead of giving us heaps of non-canon repaints :angry: (the canon ones I approve ;)).

Edited by kensei

Yes, It is possible if part C-1 "Chest" is modified to fit the higher chest of the VF-1D. The top of the Battroid chest would be exposed.

Without cutting C-1 the chest armor will not fit since it locks on the exposed hinges on the top of the chest.

Guys, i meant to ask this ages back, not sure if it is possible or not.

With John's 1D kit, can anyone suit it up in a GBP? Without stuff being forced too much, i.e. breakage, or something. :unsure:

post-3784-1165883661_thumb.jpg

cool missiles where'd you get them?

Is it the cost thats keeping Yamato from releasing the 2 seaters? The cost to produce them or is there a high

cost to Us the buyers to purchase them. Frankly I dont see why they cant do it. I like the GBP Woodland

and Urban and the Stealth Fast Packs. I haven't bought or pre-ordered them yet. If given the choice to get a

VE-1 or spending $100+ on a GBP and then $50/$60 on FPs. I would rather they produce the VT-1 / VE-1

and so I can spend my money on more Valks.

Is it the cost thats keeping Yamato from releasing the 2 seaters? The cost to produce them or is there a high

cost to Us the buyers to purchase them. Frankly I dont see why they cant do it.

I don't have any contacts inside Yamato so this is just conjecture on my part, but I believe the general consensus for why the 2-seaters have not been released in 1/48 scale is that there is not a high enough demand to warrant the development costs. While the hard-core fans would buy them, the casual fan would probably pass on them and only pick up one or two of the "hero" valks.

I'm still holding out hope. The 1D seems like an easy bet. If there's one thing I've seen on MW it's that if there's enough interest for fans to actually make the item (be it a custom paint-job or actual parts) then it's likely some company will actually make the product. The 1D benefits from the fast pack parts fitting it, the ability to make a Virgin Road scheme (complete with M&M in wedding attire :) ), the fact it's the first valk in the show to actually transform, and the fact it can be either a fighter or trainer so alternative non-trainer paint schemes could be made. The Elint and Ostrich I see more as long shots (that I really really want).

You know I'm surprised that it hasnt been made yet.

The 1-D would have been a great Valk to have.

edit: i know its a 2 seater and Graham already said that 2 seaters aren't being considered right now

but Cap made it. They made it in 1/60 why not a 1/48

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/vf-1d/fighter1.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/m...urt-vf-1d-8.jpg

1/60 1/48

[attachmentid=38910] [attachmentid=38911]

post-3216-1165909995_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1165910122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macross73

From what I understand from my conversations with Yamato, when the 1/48 was first designed, two-seater versions were not considered and not even taken into consideration. Originally, the line was only supposed to comprise the 3 main DYRL single-seaters (Hikaru 1A, Max 1A & Roy 1S) plus FAST Packs. However, the popularity of the 1/48 surprised even Yamato, so the line was gradually expanded.

IIRC, Yamato said that, two-seaters are just about technically possible, but the existing 1/48 design is not an ideal frame for making a two-seater.

I've only briefly looked at Capt's 1/48 VF-1D conversion kit and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the heat shield have to be removed during transformation? Also, doesn't the head hang too far down in fighter mode?

Graham

I've only briefly looked at Capt's 1/48 VF-1D conversion kit and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the heat shield have to be removed during transformation? Also, doesn't the head hang too far down in fighter mode?

Was it NB4M? One of the members here made one with a heat shield that is not removeable. I can't say I remember the threads, or if I even saw it, but I do remember discussion about it. I can't say anything as to the head but when the shoulders already hang so low what's a little droopage with the head?

IIRC, Yamato said that, two-seaters are just about technically possible, but the existing 1/48 design is not an ideal frame for making a two-seater.

They definitely have my permission to develop a new frame :) It's not like the Zero or 19 weren't new frames entirely. You get 2 for 1 with both the 19 and the 2 seater (YF/VF-19, VE/T-1). Both could get repaints but yes, I know my argument has the inherent flaw of respective popularity.

Edited by jenius

I never understand the "not enough demand" reason for not having a 2 seater.

If Yamato was willing to start a new line with the VF-0 & M+ series (which required complete sets of new moulds and design), isn't it still easier & cheaper to do a VF-1 2-seater. I am guessing the demand for VF-1 2 seaters is no less than the VF-0s or M+ because the majority of Valk buyers are Macross fan anyway.

Anyhow, Graham's comments regarding the 1/48 2-seater is a real blow to my hope of seeing it happen ...just when I thought Yamato was reinvesting their time and money to VF-1 with all these re-paint jobs..... :(

Edited by Mowe

The official party line from Yamato has always been no two-seater 1/48.

Apart from repaints and reissues, the 1/48 line is essentially finished as far as new sculpts go AFAIK.

Graham

Hey Graham, do you think they will re-issue the 1/48 max and millia cuz i missed them both and i need them to complete my collecetion

Edited by Murphy

Hey Graham, do you think they will re-issue the 1/48 max and millia cuz i missed them both and i need them to complete my collecetion

You and me both! The Max seems to be consistently demanding $300-$400 or more on eBay these days. Surely Yamato will re-release them (at least, I'm hoping). There's obviously more demand than supply ;)

Graham

Yes, to both questions.

I bought a custom VF-1D made from John's kit and those are the only issues I have with it.

edit. Plus the canopy is too heavy to stay up on it's own.

Edited by Roy's Blues

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=9987&st=80

NB4M solved the formula. So the answer is yes and no.

I would think Yamato is opposed to the idea since the radar weapons officer would be an amputee or his feet stick into the well for the nose gear. Good thing the new pilots are rubber… that is how the second pilot fits in mine with a bit of wiggling.

Second, suspect as the prime reason, the top half of the cockpit must be glued to the original bottom half. The screw that originally holds the two together behind the single pilot seat has nothing to join to in the 1D cocpit since that is where the second seat is. Both parts would need to be redesigned for mass production.

Believe that Yamato could get the canopy to remain open since a production version would be rigid plastic and not gummy.

Macross73: The wing stores are from Hasegawa 1/48 Weapons Kits B and C.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXP070&P=FR

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXP071&P=M

Yamato could make the 1D if they wanted for the simple reason that I, with a kit and pointers, was able to.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=9987&st=80

NB4M solved the formula. So the answer is yes and no.

I would think Yamato is opposed to the idea since the radar weapons officer would be an amputee or his feet stick into the well for the nose gear. Good thing the new pilots are rubber… that is how the second pilot fits in mine with a bit of wiggling.

Second, suspect as the prime reason, the top half of the cockpit must be glued to the original bottom half. The screw that originally holds the two together behind the single pilot seat has nothing to join to in the 1D cocpit since that is where the second seat is. Both parts would need to be redesigned for mass production.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXP070&P=FR

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXP071&P=M

The redesign is quite extensive:

1. Chest Plate

2. 3 - parts under the chestplate (How else are you going to make the escape pod?)

3. Backplate

4. Small Trapezoid located on the Backplate

5. Lock piece to hold down the Super/Strike parts on the Backpack

6. Upper half of the nosecone

7. Lower half of the nosecone

8. RIO seat

9. Neck piece

10. Head and all assemblies

11. Canopy

12. Heatshield

13. Intakes on the chest

***There are a few more tidbits but I can't recall at this time. A new pilot with toes lopped off, is not required.

I haven't had time to complete this project as I have a new acquired kit that requires my constant attention. Her name is Bela and she's only 2 months old.

The 1-D would have been a great Valk to have.

edit: i know its a 2 seater and Graham already said that 2 seaters aren't being considered right now

but Cap made it. They made it in 1/60 why not a 1/48

IIRC, Yamato had a different CEO back when the 1/60 VF-1D was made, apparently he wanted to release anything and everything Macross. Hence, the 1/60 VF-1D, 1/60 Elintseeker, 1/60 Super Ostrich, the 1/60 Q-Raus, and the 1/100 Koenig Monster.

From what I can gather, Yamato's current CEO is still very much interested in Macross but appears to be taking a more financially conservative approach by sticking with repaints and iconic mecha (YF-19).

On a somewhat related note, I remember some people here had problems with their 1/60 VF-1D. Apparently the chestplate had problems sliding down unless the landing gear was sticking out. I'm not sure if this was a QC problem or a design flaw.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Congrats on Bela.

Yes, the list below is what is completely required for the redesign. My broad leap of logic highlighted the two parts that Yamato could not copy from the Captain's kit since the glue verse screw manufacturing would transfer to mass production well.

I did not use the kit trapezoid but modified the origional Yamato so I would not need to match the tan. So the antenna configuation is different and I do not have the Strike part hold down.

I hope that your 1D with heatshield is finished since it was your production photos that helped with mine.

The redesign is quite extensive:

1. Chest Plate

2. 3 - parts under the chestplate (How else are you going to make the escape pod?)

3. Backplate

4. Small Trapezoid located on the Backplate

5. Lock piece to hold down the Super/Strike parts on the Backpack

6. Upper half of the nosecone

7. Lower half of the nosecone

8. RIO seat

9. Neck piece

10. Head and all assemblies

11. Canopy

12. Heatshield

13. Intakes on the chest

***There are a few more tidbits but I can't recall at this time. A new pilot with toes lopped off, is not required.

I haven't had time to complete this project as I have a new acquired kit that requires my constant attention. Her name is Bela and she's only 2 months old.