Fixing up the VF-0S

MasterOfPuppets

The elbows and the shoulders can be done separately.

I gotta save this, I've typed it heaps of times already in VF-0 topics.

You have to find the line on the white armour that encompasses the Zero's bicep. They are glued so you have to crack them off. There you will find a screw to undo and then you can tackle the joint with wood glue or something.

With the shoulders, the shoulder armour has to be taken off first. You can find the screws at the rear of the armour. Take that apart, and then you will see a ball joint, which has another screw through it. Take that apart and do what you will.

Right, but I put the superglue on the ball part of the joint in a layer of decent thickness, let it dry, then re-assembled the joint. Worked great, but itseems to have loosened up again :(

Maybe this should be a dedicated "what's wrong with my VF-0" thread. The big "what's wrong with my _____" thread is a little overwhelming.

If someone can change the thread title then I don't see why not since I need some more help.

Upon reassembly of the shoulder section of my VF-0S I went about putting the screw back in. But oh no! I did it to tight and a crack formed. Looks like pretty nasty crack too. At first I kinda ignored it and just put the shoulder cover back on. Transformed it into fighter mode. Then transformed it back. After 1 transform it hasn't broken into a seperate piece yet so there may still be hope. After that transform I took off the shoulder cover and haven't touched it since. So what should I do? Just put some glue over the crack? What's some really strong glue and where can I get it?

Here're some pics.

[attachmentid=39215][attachmentid=39216]

post-4209-1166862865_thumb.jpg

post-4209-1166862890_thumb.jpg

If someone can change the thread title then I don't see why not since I need some more help.

Upon reassembly of the shoulder section of my VF-0S I went about putting the screw back in. But oh no! I did it to tight and a crack formed. Looks like pretty nasty crack too. At first I kinda ignored it and just put the shoulder cover back on. Transformed it into fighter mode. Then transformed it back. After 1 transform it hasn't broken into a seperate piece yet so there may still be hope. After that transform I took off the shoulder cover and haven't touched it since. So what should I do? Just put some glue over the crack? What's some really strong glue and where can I get it?

Here're some pics.

[attachmentid=39215][attachmentid=39216]

You know after seeing all these broken shoulders I am really considering recasting these parts in a really strong resin. While I am not sure of what the long term effects are. I am sure it would be better than having a VF-0 with a broken arm.

If there is enough interest I could reproduce the parts using an unbroken arm. I could attempt to reinforce it somehow so it wont be as easy to break and might be able to retaina a small rubber washer inside that can keep the arm somewhat tight.

You know after seeing all these broken shoulders I am really considering recasting these parts in a really strong resin. While I am not sure of what the long term effects are. I am sure it would be better than having a VF-0 with a broken arm.

If there is enough interest I could reproduce the parts using an unbroken arm. I could attempt to reinforce it somehow so it wont be as easy to break and might be able to retaina a small rubber washer inside that can keep the arm somewhat tight.

Man that would be a lifesaver. Perhaps a thread to create interest should be made? I'd grab a set in a heart beat. But to replace the shoulder piece I'd have to get the bicep armor off right? And they're glued together correct? <_<

Either way, I still need a fix for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by MasterOfPuppets

This is turning into an epidemic.

If I am to reproduce these, I need broken limbs from an original VF-0A, A only. I would have to use the parts to thicken and enhance the old design.

The reason, I ask for "A" limbs is that I would like to reproduce these as they have the screw holes, as do the bicep covers.

If there is anyone out there who can help to get this project one step further please contact me via PM. I would require both halves of the upper left and right arms, as well as, both halves of the left and right bicep covers.

I will do my best with this project and try to obtain a very close to original color match.

Thanks,

NB4M

If the shoulders are made of ABS plastic, you may be able to use hobby glue to glue it back together. Most hobby glues, while ment for polystyrene, will work on ABS, and it'll work very well too. Just read the packaging.

Alternatively, you could use the glue that's used to glue abs pipes together (it will say on the packaging in the plumbing department).

If the shoulders are made of ABS plastic, you may be able to use hobby glue to glue it back together. Most hobby glues, while ment for polystyrene, will work on ABS, and it'll work very well too. Just read the packaging.

Alternatively, you could use the glue that's used to glue abs pipes together (it will say on the packaging in the plumbing department).

you should be careful when using cements... they tend to melt the plastic to bond it and on such a thin piece like the shoulders, you may permanently deform the part.

you should be careful when using cements... they tend to melt the plastic to bond it and on such a thin piece like the shoulders, you may permanently deform the part.

True, that is a major "catch". However, if done right, you should be able to get it back together with no problems!

Also don't forget to give it plenty of drying time. You don't want to stretch parts out of their original proportions.

Actually, if you use the glue sparingly, it'll be about 90% dry in about 1 hour. If you cover the part in the glue, then you'll want to wait much much longer.

When I'm doing repairs with my Yammies that involve glue of any sort, I give it a minimum of 24 hours. Although, it's not uncommon for me to come back to the toy about a week later.

Actually, if you use the glue sparingly, it'll be about 90% dry in about 1 hour. If you cover the part in the glue, then you'll want to wait much much longer.

When I'm doing repairs with my Yammies that involve glue of any sort, I give it a minimum of 24 hours. Although, it's not uncommon for me to come back to the toy about a week later.

I agree with you, cement gives you the best bond... it's just if you've never worked with it before, you could get yourself in trouble fast.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, NMBM, what are the news about the replacememt shoulders? I just checked my 0S and saw an incipient stress mark on the right shoulder. Besides, I just ordered a Shin and I doubt Yamato fixed the problem, so I'd go with two sets for starters.

Still waiting for warmer weather. The parts are set and ready to create the molds. My material is pretty cold and not as viscous as it should be. I've tried two other pours and they came out terrible. :angry:

Come on, warmer days! :angry: Come on! :angry: