Anyone else have MISB syndrome?

Draykov

I loath boxes, or more precisely MIMSBs. I hate twist ties! I fart in Bandai's general direction for their paranoid overpacking. I hated it even before moving to Japan, where it is now not a matter of like or dislike but solely of space. Everything I buy gets it's box shredded, and as I've mentioned before I'd pay good hard currency for a in shop service that strips the box and just gives me the toy/stickers/directions etc.

In the last year, since moving to a decent sized place, I've been very lazy at crushing boxes and especially plastic, preferring to leave it languishing in the corner... but now it's getting out of control. One day soon my garbage man is gonna hate me something fierce.

I loath boxes, or more precisely MIMSBs. I hate twist ties! I fart in Bandai's general direction for their paranoid overpacking. I hated it even before moving to Japan, where it is now not a matter of like or dislike but solely of space. Everything I buy gets it's box shredded, and as I've mentioned before I'd pay good hard currency for a in shop service that strips the box and just gives me the toy/stickers/directions etc.

In the last year, since moving to a decent sized place, I've been very lazy at crushing boxes and especially plastic, preferring to leave it languishing in the corner... but now it's getting out of control. One day soon my garbage man is gonna hate me something fierce.

might as well see if somebody is willing to pay for shipping on the boxes before you throw them away. ;)

I could see buying duplicates or more in case your hands-on Valkyrie/toy was broken or otherwise damaged, though not for any other reason. It will take a while before these things will appreciate in any considerable dollar amount, so collectability to me seems like a moot point; we'll probably be dead in a few years from now anyways....

Also, if you've got the money and the desire to complete a collection, then by all means go for it....

It seems like a fine idea to keep the boxes around in case you want to re-sell your valks. (though don't expect to make a bundle off them)

But with the Bandai and Yamato toys, opening the box doesn't destroy it in any way. It's not like you can't just stick it back in the box. These aren't blister cards where you have to rip it apart to get the toy out.

Open it, display it, enjoy it. Stick it back in the box when you want to have that "Christmas morning" feeling all over again.

But with the Bandai and Yamato toys, opening the box doesn't destroy it in any way. It's not like you can't just stick it back in the box. These aren't blister cards where you have to rip it apart to get the toy out.

But you can't give it back it's virginity just by putting it back in the box. ;)

Edited by Draykov

But you can't give it back it's virginity just by putting it back in the box. ;)

Sure you can, that's what terms like "born again virgin" are for~ ;)

I never got the whole "leave it unopened in the box and never ever touch it" mentality. I buy Macross and other toys because I think they're just unbelievably cool - not because I'm hoping their value will go up some day. I can't imagine buying a shiny new Yamato valkyrie just to leave it unopened and sitting hidden in a closet somewhere.

I do hold onto the boxes, not because I'm particularly attached to them or for the collectors value, but rather in case I ever have to move (which I'll be doing before the end of this year).

Well I apologize everyone but I AM "TOY STORY'S" WORST NIGHTMARE!!!!! I've always had a fondness for macross items, transformers, gi joes ect...The problem/syndrome started a few years ago when I got my straight arm snake eyes...while admittedly I paid a bit more than most would for a figure, right before I got the urge to break it out I figured to look and see what the goin price for it was (to see if I had been badly jipped or not) and behold the price had risen by close to 50%. Mind you this was a few months down the road as I had been out of the house on deployment. Since then I have come up with a quaint little collection (many of you have seen it already) with a very small percentage of them ever having been opened. To be honest my obcession even branched out to getting duplicate pieces...with good reason of course. My little ones even though they are but one and three have started to show an interest in my things so what I've been doin (I've been doing so in anticipation that this may occur) is buy two of everything starting from the time my oldest was born (no I don't intend on havin anymore kids...boys anyway) until they can start buyin their own items. In this way there will be no fights or accusal of favoritisms, I can just divide all allotted toys down the middle and send them on their way. Whomever takes the better care of their collection will inherit my share. Keep in mind though that I feel where all of you are coming from as I still have tose urges to open a piece up or two on occasion but by then I'd have already taken a well deserved trip to visit friends and family out in japan. My hommies collect in threes so all I have to do is put on the white gloves, give their collections the once over and I'm satisfied. Also add to that the fact that I think the presentation/packaging is almost as important as the toy itself and you've got the makings of a fairly healthy obcession/hobby... :blink:

But you can't give it back it's virginity just by putting it back in the box.  ;)

Sure you can, that's what terms like "born again virgin" are for~ ;)

Even after tainting the toy with greasy dirty human hands? :p

I'm curious about the folks with MISB Syndrome. What do you do to keep the boxes themselves in mint condition? Do you wear surgical gloves when handling them? Do you keep them sealed in the shipping box with packaging material that the toy box came in? Air and humidity degenerates just about everything (my record collection proves that), what do you do about these factors?

Ha-ha :angry: no, we don't wear surgical gloves <_< I personally don't care about the box, just the Valk inside.

Yeah, that's me too. And don't give me that degradation crap. My Valks will last forever in their special plastic cocoons. ;)

I don't wear surgical gloves when handling my valks.... but I do wash my hands before touching them to keep as much oil and dirt off of them as possible... "ISN'T THAT VIERD!" :p

Up until the most recent Yamato 1/60 releases (VT-1, VE-1), I ended up buying two of every version. One to open and play with, one to keep MISB. I didn't start out with that intention, it just kind of worked out that way over time.

I've noticed (especially with the re-release of the Hikaru VF-1A and Roy VF-1S) a similar trend now with the Yamato 1/48 line. If this keeps up it's gonna break me. I don't resist the desire to be a 1/48 completist, but I can't do it X2. Part of me says "If you're not gonna open it, what the hell is the point?" But then my obsessive/compulsive side kicks in and reminds me how much pride of ownership swells when it comes to MISB goodness. I think I need professional help. :blink:

Dude,

I have that syndrome with the 1/60s but I stopped. I was gonna do it with 1/48s. I did it with the Toynami MPCs but I stopped that after I saw the quality. Of course I got 2 Max. Of course, WTH am I doing with 5 low vis 1/48s? :rolleyes: All I know is that I will get multiples of Max 1/48 VF-1J FP. If yamato put out VF-1A MAx TV version, I will buy them and make squadrons of them. My very own BLUE Squadron. :D I know 1 of tMax will be MISB. Besides, I dont have room to open all of them and display them... yet. I know I will have 1 MISB low Vis as well.

ok ok, I too have the MISB Syndrome -

Started with the need simply have one (or more in some cases) of an item be forever in perfect condition and untouched since it left the factory.

This I think goes hand in hand with my other compulsive tendancies, which one get mentioned here for lack of space. :blink:

Depending on how many of each variant I buy will determine how many are opened and how many are 'MISB'. But as a rule I have to have at least one boxed - forever. (key evil laugh). B)

-b.

Here is my thoughts on opening toys. Toys in the past are worth a lot becaue all of us as kids didn't keep everything MIB. We opened and played with everything, and back then toys weren't produced as much as today so the value of stuff has skyrocketed. Today so many toys are made unless it is an extremely limited amout they really aren't going to be worth anything later. And even if it is extremely limited eveyone who gets a hold of them will keep them mint and tucked away so in 20 years they will still be available. If you are planning on selling them in the future them sure you would want to keep it as mint as possible. I never plan on selling my toys only in extreme circumstances so I open everything and trash the boxes.

I will never sell my 1/48's.

Here is my thoughts on opening toys. Toys in the past are worth a lot becaue all of us as kids didn't keep everything MIB. We opened and played with everything, and back then toys weren't produced as much as today so the value of stuff has skyrocketed. Today so many toys are made unless it is an extremely limited amout they really aren't going to be worth anything later. And even if it is extremely limited eveyone who gets a hold of them will keep them mint and tucked away so in 20 years they will still be available. If you are planning on selling them in the future them sure you would want to keep it as mint as possible. I never plan on selling my toys only in extreme circumstances so I open everything and trash the boxes.

I will never sell my 1/48's.

Amen to that. I only buy more than one of each toy if I really, really like it a lot, or maybe need an extra to modify. I do keep a few limited edition toys MIB, but only for future trades.