Macross DYRL Fx DVD question

Steve68

I bought a copy of the DYRL Fx DVD on ebay, but it wasn't from Sundevil. I read in another thread that there are a bunch of HK bootlegs of the FX DVD being sold. So how do I tell if I have a real FX or a bootleg?

I searched the Newbie FAQ thread, but found nothing on this.

Thanks,

Steve

I bought a copy of the DYRL Fx DVD on ebay, but it wasn't from Sundevil. I read in another thread that there are a bunch of HK bootlegs of the FX DVD being sold. So how do I tell if I have a real FX or a bootleg?

Thanks,

Steve

Isn't the "real" Fx disc a boot anyway?

This is the thread I was talking about. The first post by Zinjo he mentions a HK bootleg of the FX dvd versus the real FX dvd. He mentions this "but they are the run of the mill HK bootlegs, so if you get one don't expect the FX versions quality." Just to be clear I was talking about the DYRL Perfect Edition FX dvd.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20500

As I understand it the FX dvd is a rip of this dvd:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=13642

If the HK bootleg FX dvd is just a straight copy of the FX dvd then I don't think there should be a difference in quality between them. It's all just 1's and 0's and not like a xerox.

Steve

Edited by Steve68

Basically, there is a recent run of the FX DYRL DVDs that does not actually contain that version of the video/audio. Instead, the A/V is taken from the AC DYRL version which contains inferior subs and video quality. The DVD cover and DVD labels all indicate 'FX' but the disc contents is different.

-K

Okey-doke, here we go. . .

The FX Perfect Edition of DYRL is itself a bootleg. The only official DVD of DYRL is the Region 2 DVD by Bandai/Emotion reviewed here.

However, the FX DVD is not a digital "rip" of the official Bandai/Emotion DVD. So there are differences in quality between the Bandai/Emotion DVD and the FX DVD. Though the FX DVD does have a very nice picture, it's not quite as vibrant as the official DVD. The sound on the FX DVD also has quite a bit more "hiss" in the soundtrack. Having said that, the FX DVD is actually the better choice for those who will be watching the DVD on a computer since Bandai/Emotion mangled the mastering of the official DVD in such a way that it shows a lot of interlacing artifacts when played back on anything but a quality table-top DVD player in a couch/TV environment. Please see the review for details on this.

As for bootlegs of the bootleg. . . who knows. If the bootleg of the FX bootleg is a "digital rip" of the FX DVD, then there should be no quality loss at all. And, indeed, it might even still work with the "subtitle upgrade" procedure linked in my signature. ;) [Edit -- See ValkryieExchange's post immediately above. These newer bootlegged FX DVDs are apparently different and not based on the FX DVD at all.]

Best,

H

Does anyone have both the AC DYRL dvd and the FX DYRL dvd that can tell me a difference? Are the menu's the same, etc.? Just anything that would tell me if my "FX" disc is real or not? :blink:

I read your comparison Hurin but I guess I've been spoiled by sub $20 dvd's in the US and still have a difficult time spending $80 on a single dvd. Ouch.

Thanks,

Steve

I read your comparison Hurin but I guess I've been spoiled by sub $20 dvd's in the US and still have a difficult time spending $80 on a single dvd. Ouch.

I hear ya on that! I personally bit the bullet and paid it because I wanted to subtitle it and have the "ultimate edition." I was very disappointed to find that it had been horribly mis-mastered by Bandai/Emotion. I've mentioned elsewhere that I have an ongoing project to manually go through each frame and fix the interlacing issues. But, I only got about 2% into the movie after about forty hours of work. . . and then shelved the effort indefinitely. The nail in the coffin that has caused me to lose all motivation is that I don't want to spend thousands of man-hours fixing it only to have a fixed HD-DVD version released shortly thereafter! :o

Does anyone have both the AC DYRL dvd and the FX DYRL dvd that can tell me a difference? Are the menu's the same, etc.? Just anything that would tell me if my "FX" disc is real or not? :blink:

Thanks,

Steve

I bought the Bandai release (as the FX version had been out of print for nearly a year and nothing new was on the horizon) and needed to use 2 different decrypters to get a clean region free copy to master on to a DL DVD, but it is definitely worth it!!

I then subbed it using Hurin's project files. He did an amazing job, but I am still disatisfied with the menus <_< .

Hurin, any word if you will be doing a remaster of the subs using the existing Bandai menu screen?? Hint, hint, nudge, nudge... ;)

Anyway, if you want to truly appreciate the new animorphic widescreen and audio transfer on your home theater system, I'd suggest biting the bullet, get the R2 release and subbed it using Hurin's project files. You won't regret it-- well maybe the bland menu screen... :p;) !

Edited by Zinjo

It's actually really easy to spot the differences between the FX rip & the AC rip.

FX - Menu is a static screen that has a circular menu bar linking to various DYRL movie trailersl.

AC - Menu loops variou scenes from the movie.

FX - FX has for some strange reason decided to clip the toho picture's logo at the beginning of the film, and instead have it jarringly jump right into Exedor & Britai's conversation, no actual movie content is lost mind you, but it flows better with the toho pictures logo.

AC - Has an AC logo, followed by the proper full intro.

FX - Aside from the aforementioned clipping at the very beginning, the film is 100% intact.

AC - When Hikaru & Misa first enter the Protoculture city's bridge, 10-15 seconds is strangely missing, the specific bits are Misa attempting to use the controls to contact the Macross....very strange. Only thing I can think of is it was ripped from the LD, and there was some chapter skip mis-hap.

How's the FX rip video quality compare to the one by Bandai/Emotion? btw I'm thinking of buying either the FX version or this Hong Kong bootleg http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::7428569 does anyone by any chance know the quality of the link I posted and is it in Widescreen? Is it the same video quality as compare to the FX version? Thanks in advance. :)

How's the FX rip video quality compare to the one by Bandai/Emotion? btw I'm thinking of buying either the FX version or this Hong Kong bootleg http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::7428569 does anyone by any chance know the quality of the link I posted and is it in Widescreen? Is it the same video quality as compare to the FX version? Thanks in advance. :)

If that's the AC bootleg (judging by the chinese subs, I would think so), then it's not widescreen (it's 4:3), the video is grainier than the fx version, but the subtitles are marginally better than fx.

Edited by ghostryder

Best of luck on what you actually get from Sundevil. At worst, it will be the same as the HK bootleg :p .

Yes, I bought what "they claimed" was the FX version and all it was, was the AC version.

When I called them on it, they couldn't specifically "prove" they had the actual FX edition. They seem to think that if the box art looks like the FX version, it actually is.

It's up to you if you wish to risk it.

I don't trust those clowns. <_<

Yes, I bought what "they claimed" was the FX version and all it was, was the AC version.

When I called them on it, they couldn't specifically "prove" they had the actual FX edition. They seem to think that if the box art looks like the FX version, it actually is.

It's up to you if you wish to risk it.

I don't trust those clowns. <_<

omg things seems to be more complicated than I expected...

I saw the Sundevil was selling a Mac Zero "bootleg" and I purposely ask them is it original and they said it was. Guess u guys are right, can't trust the Sundevil, now I understand why they are called devil. Thanks again guys. :)

I checked my DYRL "FX" version and it looks to be the AC bootleg afterall. :(

There are actually advertisements in the subtitles. I forget what it is exactly but it someone's email address @yahoo.com

Does anyone know where to get a real FX version?

Steve

Edited by Steve68

The real FX is out of production unfortunately. Though to be honest, FX quality took a giant dump towards the end, last I heard they were using DVD-R's instead of factory pressed disc's.

The golden age of HK's officially died 2-3 years ago when sars broke out, all of the officials took the opportunity of closing the boarders to seize product & arrest the bootleggers. Everything after that was just R1 rip, japanese tv broadcast rip, or even more recycling of other bootleggers products.

Best bet would be to find someone "really" honest on ebay, e-mail Kevin Lam to see if "maybe" he has any left from when he closed the Valkyrie Exchange, or hope for another run of the actual FX master. Or import the R2 & use a subtitle script of course ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The real FX is out of production unfortunately. Though to be honest, FX quality took a giant dump towards the end, last I heard they were using DVD-R's instead of factory pressed disc's.

The golden age of HK's officially died 2-3 years ago when sars broke out, all of the officials took the opportunity of closing the boarders to seize product & arrest the bootleggers. Everything after that was just R1 rip, japanese tv broadcast rip, or even more recycling of other bootleggers products.

Best bet would be to find someone "really" honest on ebay, e-mail Kevin Lam to see if "maybe" he has any left from when he closed the Valkyrie Exchange, or hope for another run of the actual FX master. Or import the R2 & use a subtitle script of course ;)

Hi Keith. This is OT but have you heard anything about any new or good regarding HK versions of DBZ?

• 3 months later...

I'm kicking myself in the ass right now (and have been for some time now) because I never grabbed a copy of the FX Perfect Edition DVD. Any updates as to where one could find a copy? I don't have any Region Free DVD players, so the official R2 release is out of the question for me. The NLA fansubs just don't cut it for me anymore...I want to cry!!! Thanks.

I'm kicking myself in the ass right now (and have been for some time now) because I never grabbed a copy of the FX Perfect Edition DVD. Any updates as to where one could find a copy? I don't have any Region Free DVD players, so the official R2 release is out of the question for me. The NLA fansubs just don't cut it for me anymore...I want to cry!!! Thanks.

If it makes you feel any better, the FX subs weren't all that great. They were OK at best. It's been a while since I've seen the NLA fansub, but I believe it's subs were overall more accurate than the FX DVD.

• 1 year later...

Thanks,

Steve

I just bought DYRL Perfect Edition "Fx" version off ebay watched it, but after reading this board, not sure I have the right version,

"Dvd_animation @yahoo.com" pops up on the bottom like three times throught the movie, Is the Minmei Megaroad clip supposed to be in this version of the movie at the end ( it isn't)or is that just in Flashback ? Why do they call in perfect edition?

Thanks for your help guys

Mike

I just bought DYRL Perfect Edition "Fx" version off ebay watched it, but after reading this board, not sure I have the right version,

"Dvd_animation @yahoo.com" pops up on the bottom like three times throught the movie, Is the Minmei Megaroad clip supposed to be in this version of the movie at the end ( it isn't)or is that just in Flashback ? Why do they call in perfect edition?

Thanks for your help guys

Mike

Nope, that's the older version just using the newer label. The whole HK bootleg scene never ceases to amazing with its randomness sometimes.