Guitar Hero

guitarhero01.jpgt.gif

Guitar Hero ( ギターヒーロー )

Harmonix/RedOctane, Inc., 2005

For the Sony PlayStation 2

Rated T (Teen) for mild lyrics.

Lowdown

For the past few years, music games have been the cornerstone of house parties in just about every neighborhood. Gamers dropped their controllers in favor of dance pads or contraptions made to look and operate like musical instruments. Aside from Dance Dance Revolution, gaming companies have cashed in on music games such as Nintendo's Donkey Konga, Sega's Samba de Amigo and Namco's Taiko Drum Master.

But how about guitar games? Konami was actually the first to come up with a guitar game called Guitar Freaks in 1998. However, while it was modestly popular in Japan, it flopped in the U.S. due to poor marketing and a short playlist. It seemed that a guitar game was not feasible for the American audience. Or was it?

Enter: RedOctane. Known for their variety of dance pads and the game In the Groove (which led to Konami suing the company for copying DDR), RedOctane collaborated with Harmonix Music Systems to release what may be the most awesome music game ever made: Guitar Hero.

For $69.99, you get the game and a guitar controller designed after the Gibson SG. Now get ready to rock!

Gameplay: A+

How can such a game be so addictive? You don't need to know how to play guitar to play Guitar Hero. As long as you love rock music, you simply jam to your favorite songs while giving your hand-coordination one hell of a workout.

In Career Mode, you play a guitarist for an aspiring cover band looking to make it big. You have eight characters with styles to choose from, including hair metal, British rock, punk, goth, and even Death himself. You also have a selection of guitars from Gibson, such as the world-famous Les Paul (your favorite band probably uses it), the SG (AC/DC's Angus Young), the X-Plorer (Metallica's James Hetfield), and the double-neck EDS-1275 (Jimmy Page).

Gameplay is straight-forward. Your guitar controller consists of five color-coded fret buttons, a strum bar and a whammy bar. During a performance, when a colored button appears on the screen, press the matching fret button and strum to earn points. Hold the fret button if the chord requires a long note. Use the whammy bar to give long notes a unique sound.

Your performance is not only scored, but rated with the Rock Meter. Keep the meter on green, or the crowd will boo you out of the arena. As you complete a song, a new song is unlocked, and during your progression, you can unlock more characters and guitars, as well as custom skins and other backstage goodies.

Star Power also plays a key factor to your performance. Once you build up your star power meter, tilt your guitar controller upward (or press the Select button if you're lazy) to double your points for a short period of time. This is excellent for guitar solos during a song.

Players can choose their level of difficulty. Easy gives out simple notes with the use of three fret buttons. Medium and Hard gives players access to the fourth and fifth fret buttons, respectively. (This is where Guitar Freaks fails, as Konami's guitar controller only has three fret buttons). Guitar Hero provides hours of fun, especially when two guitar controllers enable you and your friend to duke it out on Battle Mode (yeah, go try this with your PS2 controller...).

Graphics: B-

As with most music games, don't expect any high-caliber graphics. You'll only see your band in the background while you keep your eyes on the chord line. Guitar Hero's got nice colors, but that's about it.

Soundtrack: A

You got the guitar, but you simply can't have Guitar Hero without some music to shred to. The game includes 47 licensed rock songs to choose from. Don't expect originals, though - 30 of them are covers (READ: "As made famous by..."), while the other 17 are indie band releases. You'll jam to rock classics like Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water," hair metal hits like Judas Priest's "You've Got Another Thing Comin'," punk favorites like The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated," and modern tracks like Queens of the Stone Age's "No One Knows." Now if only this game had some Van Halen in it...

The Bottom Line

Kiss your air guitar goodbye! Guitar Hero is loads of headbanging fun on your PS2.

"Excellent! [Air guitar riff]" - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1988)

Links

Official Guitar Hero Homepage

Reference

Wikipedia

Though this game is easier to play than say, O2Jam or Beatmania, i hate these kinda games. >_<

I can't understand how ppl tap in sequence to things that require superhuman reflexes.

No, Guitar Hero is REALLY good. Part of what makes it so good is that Harmonix and Red Octane have done a remarkable job making you feel like you're playing a guitar. Because, let's face it, the twitchy flailing you do while playing DDR isn't exactly dancing. They've also done a great job of making the game accessible to everyone. A tutorial teaches you the basics, and the Easy level eases you in with just three frets. Master it, though, and you can try some of the harder difficulty levels.

And A7? Van Halen's confirmed for Guitar Hero 2. ;)

The rumor on the street is that, in addition to rock classics and indie rock hits, Harmonix may be including some guitar mixes of classic videogame tunes, included the theme from Megaman.

That would be interesting to see. We just started selling a few weeks ago an alternative guitar controler at FRY's, it looks sort of cheesey with the silver neck.

But I like the game, everyday I see people playing it and we use to have it set up that you could see the people playing it on one fourth of the screen, the other fourth of the big screen would show the game, the other half was dedicated to DDR....but we took it away cause in the end it was really just goofy.

Guitar Hero is a freakin' FUN game!

I played it for the first time while staying with friends this past weekend. The guitar controller (about 3/4 actual size) feels remarkably solid and is very comfortable to play. The cover songs are really good covers. The fact that the controller has a motion sensor so that you have to make Rock God poses (point the guitar to the sky!) in order to activate bonus point opportunities which adds a funny... but just plain fun... gameplay element. I could go into more specifics, but suffice to say it is just a damn hoot to play.

My fiancée has been wanting a PS2 so she can play DDR... now with Guitar Hero, I think we will be making that purchase soon. ;)

IGN has a pretty good coverage of the game here:

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/748/748976.html

In particular, watch the video 'Rockin' Out to Iron Man' for a hilarious look at how fun the gameplay can be (dorky clothes and gestures optional):

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/748/748976/vids_2.html

We just started selling a few weeks ago an alternative guitar controler at FRY's, it looks sort of cheesey with the silver neck.

408423[/snapback]

You mean the Shredder? That thing sucks! I've been reading nothing but quality control problems on it: sticky fret buttons, a loose strum bar and having to shake it for Star Power.

You might as well buy the GH Multiplayer Bundle or hunt down the rare cherry red SG controller instead.

And A7?  Van Halen's confirmed for Guitar Hero 2. ;)

408417[/snapback]

Sweet. I just did a search, and here's the GH2 playlist so far:

"War Pigs" by Black Sabbath

"Strutter" by KISS

"YYZ" by Rush

"Psychobilly Freakout" by Reverend Horton Heat

"You Really Got Me" by Van Halen

"Who Was in My Room Last Night?" by Butthole Surfers

What songs would you want to play in a future GH installment?

Here's my wish list:

"Crazy Night" by Loudness

"Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns 'N' Roses GH3 did it

"Thunderstruck" by AC/DC Rock Band did it online

"Armageddon It" by Def Leppard

"Princes of the Universe" by Queen

"Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest

"Unskinny Bop" by Poison

"In My Head" by Queens of the Stone Age

"Bodies" by Drowning Pool

"Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi Rock Band did it

"Enter Sandman" by Metallica Rock Band did it

Edited by areaseven

408417[/snapback]

"Strutter" by KISS

"YYZ" by Rush

408433[/snapback]

Angel of Death - Slayer

farting Hostile - Pantera

Rime of the Ancient Mariner(yes all 13 minutes of it lol) - Iron Maiden

Now You've Got Something to Die for- Lamb of god

Chaos A.D - Sepultura

Hatecrew Deathroll - Children of Bodom

Trial by Fire - Testament

Davidian - Machine Head

The Idiot Box - Shadows Fall

I had read they were considering doing more genre specific releases. Sign me up for an all metal edition. I'm still thinking about buying Guitar Hero anyway.

Edited by dejr8bud

Awesome game, my friend bought it even tho he doesnt own a ps2 so he keeps it at my house, i'm somewhere in the middle of hard difficulty, i love playing 'iron man' and 'more than a feeling' its awesome in 'more than a feeling, if you get the star power to max and open it up right as the chorus starts it's lasts perfectly through the time of the chorus

408417[/snapback]

"Strutter" by KISS

"YYZ" by Rush

408433[/snapback]

Dude!!! VH... YES!!! I was raised on that Old School VH stuff. From what I understand in Guitar Hero 2 you can plug in a second guitar and play with another person. I love this game! Fun to play and watch. Now if they would just add some Motley Crue...

Edited by Skullsixx

408417[/snapback]

"Strutter" by KISS

"YYZ" by Rush

408433[/snapback]

Dude!!! VH... YES!!! I was raised on that Old School VH stuff. From what I understand in Guitar Hero 2 you can plug in a second guitar and play with another person. I love this game! Fun to play and watch. Now if they would just add some Motley Crue...

408545[/snapback]

That VH song is a cover though. I'd rather play "Unchained" or "Atomic Punk"

"Live Wire" or "Red Hot" by the Crue would be cool.

I want them to make a spinoff called KEYTAR HERO so I can play all my favoritre songs from Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Gary Numan and ABC.

And why no David Bowie in there? Ziggy Stardust anyone?

408564[/snapback]

Same, I want Guitar/Keytar hero 1980s edition.

Screw everything from 60s-70s and 90s-2000s. 80s is all you need.

I want them to make a spinoff called KEYTAR HERO so I can play all my favorite songs from Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Gary Numan and ABC.

408564[/snapback]

Why, that's a great idea. I want to play some Spandau Ballet, Bolshoi, Gene Loves Jezebel, Simple Minds and Tears For Fears. :lol:

Oh, I forgot to post GH's playlist:

1. Opening Licks

* I Love Rock & Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

* I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones

* Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie

* Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

* Infected - Bad Religion

2. Axe-Grinders

* Iron Man - Black Sabbath

* More Than a Feeling - Boston

* You've Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest

* Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand

* Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

3. Thrash And Burn

* Killer Queen - Queen

* Hey You - The Exies

* Stellar - Incubus

* Heart Full of Black - Burning Brides

* Symphony Of Destruction - Megadeth

4. Return of the Shred

* Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie

* Fat Lip - Sum 41

* Cochise - Audioslave

* Take It Off - The Donnas

* Unsung - Helmet

5. Fret-Burners

* Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix

* Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers

* No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age

* Ace Of Spades - Motörhead

* Crossroads - Cream

6. Face-Melters

* Godzilla - Blue Öyster Cult

* Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan

* Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group

* Cowboys From Hell - Pantera

* Bark at the Moon - Ozzy Osbourne

Bonus Tracks

* Fire It Up - Black Label Society

* Cheat on the Church - Graveyard BBQ

* Cavemen Rejoice - The Bags

* Eureka I've Found Love - The Upper Crust

* All of This - Shaimus

* Behind The Mask - Anarchy Club

* The Breaking Wheel - Artillery

* Callout - The Acro-brats

* Decontrol - Drist

* Even Rats - The Slip

* Farewell Myth - Made in Mexico

* Fly On The Wall - Din

* Get Ready 2 Rokk - Freezepop

* Guitar Hero - Monkey Steals the Peach

* Hey - Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives

* Sail Your Ship By - Count Zero

408561[/snapback]

For VH, I'd play "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" or "Running With the Devil." I'm also game for Van Hagar songs like "Poundcake" or "It's About Time."

As for Crue, it'll be "Shout at the Devil" or "Girls, Girls, Girls."

BTW, if the next GH has a cooperative mode, I'd like to have the option of rhythm guitar or bass.

Edited by areaseven

I want them to make a spinoff called KEYTAR HERO so I can play all my favoritre songs from Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Gary Numan and ABC.

408564[/snapback]

Same, I want Guitar/Keytar hero 1980s edition.

Screw everything from 60s-70s and 90s-2000s. 80s is all you need.

408571[/snapback]

YEAH!!! And How about Sabbath's NIB, Crue's 10 Seconds to Love, VH I'm the One, GNR Welcome to the Jungle, and Aerosmith's Train Kept A Tollin'?

408561[/snapback]

For VH, I'd play "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" or "Running With the Devil." I'm also game for Van Hagar songs like "Poundcake" or "It's About Time."

As for Crue, it'll be "Shout at the Devil" or "Girls, Girls, Girls."

BTW, if the next GH has a cooperative mode, I'd like to have the option of rhythm guitar or bass.

408636[/snapback]

The ONLY Van Hagar song you should want (especially since this is Macrossworld) is "Dreams". The rest of Van Hagar can die in a fire.

The ONLY Van Hagar song you should want (especially since this is Macrossworld) is "Dreams". The rest of Van Hagar can die in a fire.

408790[/snapback]

Too much keyboard and not enough guitar on that song. At least Van Hagar wasn't as bad as when Gary Cherone took over for Van Halen III.

408790[/snapback]

Too much keyboard and not enough guitar on that song. At least Van Hagar wasn't as bad as when Gary Cherone took over for Van Halen III.

408804[/snapback]

That's what I thought at first... until I heard them. Everybody Wants Some would be a kick ass song too! If they are gonna use VH, it's GOT to be vintage!

If they are gonna use VH, it's GOT to be vintage!

408813[/snapback]

Amen to that. If they're gonna use VH's cover of "You Really Got Me," they might as well include the "Eruption" intro.

408818[/snapback]

AFAIK, they are.

As a matter of fact, GH2 DOES have a co-op mode. They didn't make it clear if the second player would have the option of rhythm guitar or bass, or if it was song-dependent (some songs play rhythm, some songs play bass).

I'm mostly happy with the songs that have been picked so far for both games, but, as good as "Strutter" is, I'd really wish it'd been "Unholy." Actually, a Guitar Hero: Kiss Edition would be fairly kick ass.

If they are gonna use VH, it's GOT to be vintage!

408813[/snapback]

Amen to that. If they're gonna use VH's cover of "You Really Got Me," they might as well include the "Eruption" intro.

408818[/snapback]

AFAIK, they are.

As a matter of fact, GH2 DOES have a co-op mode. They didn't make it clear if the second player would have the option of rhythm guitar or bass, or if it was song-dependent (some songs play rhythm, some songs play bass).

I'm mostly happy with the songs that have been picked so far for both games, but, as good as "Strutter" is, I'd really wish it'd been "Unholy." Actually, a Guitar Hero: Kiss Edition would be fairly kick ass.

408853[/snapback]

Strutter is a great tune, but I'd rather have Detroit Rock City!

Actually, a Guitar Hero: Kiss Edition would be fairly kick ass.

408853[/snapback]

Yeah, that would rule. But first, I'd like to see an AC/DC Edition. After all, the Gibson SG was made most famous by Angus Young.

I'd actually pay to see someone dress up like Angus and play "Thunderstruck." :lol:

408853[/snapback]

Yeah, that would rule. But first, I'd like to see an AC/DC Edition. After all, the Gibson SG was made most famous by Angus Young.

I'd actually pay to see someone dress up like Angus and play "Thunderstruck." :lol:

408914[/snapback]

Dude.... AC/DC kicks ass!!! I think we're on the same page!

408853[/snapback]

408914[/snapback]

I'm surprised there wasn't any AC/DC included in the first edition. Seems like a no-brainer. Oh well add "Back in Black" or "Highway to Hell" to the list.

408853[/snapback]

408914[/snapback]

I'm surprised there wasn't any AC/DC included in the first edition. Seems like a no-brainer. Oh well add "Back in Black" or "Highway to Hell" to the list.

408934[/snapback]

If think of a band that you'd have figured for a no-brainer for the first one, they probably wanted it. Problem was, record companies were reluctant to license their music for it. Now that they know that Guitar Hero was a smash success, they're more eager to make their IP available for the sequel.