Dyrl English Dubb

That dub was the best.  Yeah it sounded like an old dub Kung Fu film but it worked.

The voice for Roy in it was just perfect in giving out the right emotion for the character.  You'd believe that Roy wanted Hikaru to become a man and that he was into booze and booty.

Robotech's Roy gave the impression that he wanted Rick to become a responible citizens and was into was G rated fun.

414115[/snapback]

Hahahahah!

A good dubbing to DYRL sounds great to me!

Would you be able to splice and dub the 2 psx dyrl game videos to the dyrl movie as well?

Then all that could be added to the DYRL movie is those subtitles that one of the Macrossworld guys did and 2012 properly subtitled for a super fine deluxe DYRL movie edition.  B))

414103[/snapback]

The PS/Saturn DYRL movies won't work very well, as signifigant content occurs in the game levels around them.

Was the ARMD attack in the movie, or was that added for the game? I can't really remember what's original and what isn't.

They never used an ARMD attack in the movie... so it must be the game.

414227[/snapback]

Thanks.

So that's at least 3 animation sequences made just for the game(beginning of Zentradi attack, Macross fold-out, ARMD attack).

One of which was blatant fan-service, in the non-T&A sense.

far be my newb arse from knowing anything so i'll ask about it instead.

i once dloaded a copy of DYRL (some 8 years or more ago) that was fully dubbed, and rather well to boot, even maintained the japanese songs for Minmei and the zentran chatter and such... i once saw it for sale as DVD in a shop while on vacation in florida, but never since, it was fully labeled Macross The Movie - Do You Remember Love?

and marked as "English dubbed only"

anyone else seen/heard of it?

i've never heard of the Clash one mentioned above, so maybe it was that, but this one seriously didn't suck IMO, as it matched lines with most of the movie in japanese when i got that DVD finally (and long since deleted the dloaded one, the picture quality was horrid)

Edited by GrimlockCW

Ugh, bionoids, barf. Those British accents hurt me. Plus they chop out all the good violence! I mean, c'mon!

414611[/snapback]

hmm i didn't see anything differant photage wise when i had it.. ahh well, guess i'm shot down.

twad decent at least, and better than the way the wing commander movie came out!

*shudders*

Well, I won't rule out the possibility of some dub out there that's worth a hoot. But it's sorta' like hoping that Santa's real for the mean time. ;)

(of course, this is a LOT more feasible than Santa)

Like I said earlier in the thread, the Super Spacefortress Macross/just Macross/whatever release from Best Film & Video is uncut but has the same dub as the Clash version. Or better put, Clash is a cut up version of the Best Film & Video dub of DYRL.

what are you guys talking about? there already IS an english language dub: Clash of the Bionoids.

:p

407899[/snapback]

I hope you are joking. :D

BUT IT'S NOT FUNNY. :lol:

407902[/snapback]

Must... resist ... Clash... of... the... Bionoids.... English... dubbed... of.. DYRL... sucked... worse... than... English... dubbed... SuperS... arc... of... Sailor... Moon....

I sound like William Shatner, don't I folks. :p

Edited by MjrMisaHayase

A ha! Crap. I guess I missed that point earlier on. Heck, I'd buy a copy of that. Is it still available? Anywhere?

415051[/snapback]

I think this is it.

416152[/snapback]

Thanks valk! I ordered me a copy. I hate the british accents, it's awful to listen to, but if it's uncut, then rock on. Must.... buy... more... macross... crap.... *pounds fist on table*

twad decent at least, and better than the way the wing commander movie came out!

*shudders*

Just goes to show that Chris Roberts should never direct!!!

He can write until his head explodes, but not direct... :unsure:

It's one thing to direct interactive cut scenes a completely other thing to direct a full blown movie!

His ego was nearly as big as Lucas' :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

I actually did dub one of the PS1/saturn openings, I onlyhave the opening and the one where the SDF-1 folds.....if I got my hands on the rest I'd probablynail those aswell with the movie as a "bonus".

I decided I am going to tackle DYRL, but the movie wouldn't be out till 07....my main focus would be Macross Zero.

Must... resist ... Clash... of... the... Bionoids.... English... dubbed... of.. DYRL... sucked... worse... than... English... dubbed... SuperS... arc... of... Sailor... Moon....

I sound like William Shatner, don't I folks. :p

416141[/snapback]

Let me just say that I'm going to steer clear of asking your opinion on <old "Critic" joke> James Caan </old "Critic" joke> ;)

maybe if we bug them we can get the guys at Manga Entertainment (Mac plus dubbers) to do the movie!

HG said they don't own the movie right?

though i'm rarely impressed with any anime Dub, at least they'd prob bring it back to full color and good looks with a cleaner sub :p

sry, but 99.9% of dubbed Anime truly have either bad voice actor selection or rewrite the script so badly it wrecks the show, many'a good anime have failed stateside from this, but find the Original unedited.. and it tends to blow the mind how they could commit such travesty (SP?)

Edited by GrimlockCW

Man, if DYRL ever came out with a dubb as good as Mac Plus, I'd be really really happy. And it's not even dubbed that great. Fortunately for me, a lot of the shows I really like have some pretty decent sound dubbing. (Fullmetal Alchemist, Gilgamesh, Lain, Wolf's Rain - I don't even know if Berserks' dubbing is good or not because I love it too much to care) I'd be lying if I didn't admit I have a whole stack of animes with AWFUL dubbing. My wife and I have never finished watching Wrath of the Ninja. But then again, that movie probably sucked in Japan too.

Man, if DYRL ever came out with a dubb as good as Mac Plus, I'd be really really happy. And it's not even dubbed that great. Fortunately for me, a lot of the shows I really like have some pretty decent sound dubbing. (Fullmetal Alchemist, Gilgamesh, Lain, Wolf's Rain - I don't even know if Berserks' dubbing is good or not because I love it too much to care) I'd be lying if I didn't admit I have a whole stack of animes with AWFUL dubbing. My wife and I have never finished watching Wrath of the Ninja. But then again, that movie probably sucked in Japan too.

417872[/snapback]

only problem with stuff dubbed by Funimation (A.K.A Fu&*thefansimation)

is they butcher the script, and sometimes cut whole episodes from the series they dub, + license HORRID vid games to be made :/

most of the games anyways, some are getting decent to good lately

Fullmetal Alch if yer wondering.

Pioneer, and ADV do some awsome dubbs and only censor for TV airing but rarely cut episodes for it unless the network themselves cut them.

Manga Entertainments, a "meh" IMO some good some bad, never cut though.

ANYWHO back on Topic, if i had to choose i'd shoot for ADV to do it to DYRL, they'd do it some justice i think.

I need to start paying more attention to which companies do what. I'd probably be surprised at what I might find. But heck, I'd vote for ADV just because I saw a thread with a picture of a couple of women who work for them who are total babes! ;)

LOL

i wanna see this pic..

P.S. i can't say Funimation doesn't do a good job voice wise, but like i've said, they butcher scripts (and its way to obvious from the DVD's, why would they do that to themselves?) and cut scenes and episodes, though most of their DVD releases with get a complete uncut thing going (hence the reason they had to add "Uncut" to the DBZ releases)

but their campaign strategy to shut down fan based websites and such in order to try for more cash.. their on my list with harmony gold as "avoid at all costs"

okay i'm done O/T

anyone got anything ON topic to report?.. i'm out of stuff

FUNimation used to be on my hate list. But as of late, they really haven't shown me anything to dislike them. Except Kodocha--and then I found out that it wasn't FUNi, it was the licensing group for the band TOKIO that screwed it up. So yeah, no hate here.

4Kids, on the other hand...

If I were looking for a dub for this... I would be tempted to go either Bandai or Geneon, based upon past dubs. Some of ADVs dubs are... interesting (Lost Universe, Nuku Nuku)... whereas some are just plain awesome (Excel Saga, Cromartie). Bandai's been pretty consistent with their dubbing quality (can't comment on Seed, though...), and Geneon is really fired up lately and putting out some really great stuff.

Then again, ADV has Mari doing the original series dub. This alone would sway me to let ADV just take care of DYRL. XD

FUNimation used to be on my hate list. But as of late, they really haven't shown me anything to dislike them. Except Kodocha--and then I found out that it wasn't FUNi, it was the licensing group for the band TOKIO that screwed it up. So yeah, no hate here.

4Kids, on the other hand...

If I were looking for a dub for this... I would be tempted to go either Bandai or Geneon, based upon past dubs. Some of ADVs dubs are... interesting (Lost Universe, Nuku Nuku)... whereas some are just plain awesome (Excel Saga, Cromartie). Bandai's been pretty consistent with their dubbing quality (can't comment on Seed, though...), and Geneon is really fired up lately and putting out some really great stuff.

Then again, ADV has Mari doing the original series dub. This alone would sway me to let ADV just take care of DYRL. XD

Before starting you "love in" of ADV, actually listen to the dub script compared to the Animeigo script, you'll be a bit surprised with the "liberties" they took with the dialogue... :rolleyes:

Before starting you "love in" of ADV, actually listen to the dub script compared to the Animeigo script, you'll be a bit surprised with the "liberties" they took with the dialogue... :rolleyes:

418139[/snapback]

hence the reason i RARELY watch dubbed anime :p the script is always the first thing butchered, even in a high quality dub :p

but what REALLY gets my nerves is when the subs are blatently off as well, i know very little japanese, but i do know a bit to catch things.

Fansubs usualy come closer to a proper rough translation while keeping it in grammer with the language differance

Edited by GrimlockCW

Note: In terms of "Macross" dubbing, I have only heard Robotech--and that was over a decade ago, when I was a little kid. I don't remember it very well.

Thus, I can't comment on the quality. The fact that Mari was dubbing was what made me nod my head in approval.

Dubbing itself has many problems, however. Some Japanese phrases are long and mean something shorter in English, and vice versa. Thus, the English ADR script-writers have to fill in/take out the blanks. And then there are Japanese word-plays (which SDF Macross has few of, I've noticed), which don't translate well. This is why I liked Excel Saga and Comic Party's dubs--they weren't always true to the Japanese script, but they made it more easy to flow with what was happening on-screen for an English-speaking audience.

Now, again, I haven't seen the dub, so I'm not sure which situation they're doing... or if they're just going off into la-la land for no reason. I plan to buy the DVDs, but not until there's more of the series out.

So, we'll see.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but when you're a Dad and you're cooking dinner and cleaning and doing all sorts of stuff and trying to watch anime at the same time and can't speak japanese, it sucks. I miss all the subtitles and have no idea what's going on. Sorta' cuts down on what spaces of time I can reserve for my anime sessions.

Well as good as it is to multitask, I never recommend passively watching great anime or films. With that in mind if you really want to enjoy Macross take the time to sit down with the kids and watch Macross together. Reading subtitles is NOT that hard, it just takes practice like any other skill worth learning/retaining.

IMO some of the greatest animes ever created are BEST viewed in with the original Japanese dialogue, but that is merely my ten cents. Good luck. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

hahaha! Okay Roy Focker said a couple of charming things. Everyone else... including Roy, made me want to commit suicide.

:p

I'm pretty sure Hikaru, while flying through the rings of Saturn, exclaimed "it's the emeny!". And later, just before the final battle, Minmay was heard to say "the others doesn't matter, everyone dies sometimes!"

Those lines have to be worth something.