Clerks Ii: The Passion Of The Clerks

i am going to get piss drunk and watch it in the theater with a bunch of piss drunk friends and it will be hilarious... even if it's not.

394095[/snapback]

that pretty much explains Kevin Smith fans. I actually thought Mall Rats and Clerks was cute for it's time, but everything else is fanatically driven BS. What kind of mentality is it when you can't actually enjoy a film without being high or drunk? To me, it sounds like a sure sign of a crappy movie. Kevin Smith is actually a nice guy. I've met him a couple of times, and not in an autograph line in some comic book con. But if I have to hear that Jon Peters giant spider story spider one more time, I'd have to puke in his face.

I dunno, I rather enjoy Kevin Smith's movies and I don't feel the need to get high or drunk to do so. Given, I don't think he's the greatest writer/director out there and he does have his weak points, characters tend to be a vehicle for the delivery of his dialogue rather than individual characters in and of themselves, so everyone winds up sounding like practically the same person.

However, I do find the dialogue to be well written, so long as pop-culture laden humour is your cup of tea.

Given what passes for entertainment today, I find it difficult to give much credibility to insults slung at the man or his fans, especially in a world where there are people who flock to so much worse.

Given what passes for entertainment today, I find it difficult to give much credibility to insults slung at the man or his fans, especially in a world where there are people who flock to so much worse.

394136[/snapback]

The only new movies i care about are either directed by Michael Mann, star Steven Seagal, or have "The Fast and the Furious" in the title so I think i'm perfectly justified in whatever insults I sling.

Weeellll... I don't think of Kevin Smith as the greatest thing since the "reverse cowboy", but neither do I find him to be one of the talentless hacks that seem to get funded for big movies nowadays.

Are his movies still fun? For me they are. I go to a Kevin Smith movie for the same reason I go to a Jim Carrey comedy: To Laugh.

And it works, so that's good enough for me.

I second WDC, I never have to get drunk or stoned to enjoy a KS movie, but they are fun little romps and are usually quite funny, better then most comedies at least. Think of them as Family GUy with real people, especially with all the pop culture references.

I never got into Kevin Smith movies, especially his later efforts. I've watched them all except Jersey Girl and have to say I have a decreasing interest in his movies. The first few where OK, as time went on the later ones are so-so... but the same can be said for every director. After they "make it" a combination of fan demand/expectation and a general "been there done that" beings to creep into everyone's works.

And am I the only one who wants to murder Jay and Silent Bob with a shovel? I can't stand those characters... Dante and Russel where by far the superior characters out of all of KS'es works.

Ah, Kevin Smith, the otherside of my cursed coin. Smith, the second half of the Tarantino/Smith duo, two directors whose work I can't stand yet are so popular that nearly all my friends think highly of them. Hence the curse part, where I watch nearly everything they have done simply because I'm friends with their fans.

I will say this, if I had to like a Kevin Smith film, it would be Clerks. Not high praise I know, but it's the best I can do :)

Edited by Mr March

I hate Tarantino too, i do not see why people like him so much, he's not that good of a director. As for Jaye and Silent Bob, I like them as supporting characters in small doses, taht is where they work best, after watching JSBSB I wanted to kill Jaye especially.

And am I the only one who wants to murder Jay and Silent Bob with a shovel? I can't stand those characters... Dante and Russel where by far the superior characters out of all of KS'es works.

394212[/snapback]

No, you're definately not alone. Kevin Smith hamming it up as Silent Bob is a very aggravating and unfunny thing to watch.

I would have liked Clerks a lot more if it was a 10 minute short about a girl farting a dead guy in the bathroom of a convenience store.

394212[/snapback]

No, you're definately not alone. Kevin Smith hamming it up as Silent Bob is a very aggravating and unfunny thing to watch.

I would have liked Clerks a lot more if it was a 10 minute short about a girl farting a dead guy in the bathroom of a convenience store.

394300[/snapback]

My favorite is Brody, but I get enough Jason Lee with MY Name Is Earl.

For someone who actually likes quite a few Kevin Smith films, I don't see the appeal of Clerks outside of a few memorable monologues. Watching it was pretty aggrivating, but this one might be more consistently funny since it's probably washed over with mainstream appeal.

I don't think we're supposed to take Smith and his work that seriously. His strength's in comedy laced with engaging, thought provoking dialogue... and if that's the sort of stuff that makes you laugh, he's done his job. If not, move along. At any rate, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Chasing Amy yet. Probably my favorite of his films, the one that takes itself the most seriously and has the most heart, and even makes Ben Affleck watchable and likeable as an everyman-geek. That's gotta count for something.

I'm not sure which I hate more; the crappy movies Kevin Smith foists on the public as genuine celluloid entertainment or the fans who have their thumbs so far up their own asses they think they're actually good movies.

394125[/snapback]

OH SNAP!

Come now, tell us how you really feel.

LOL

I'm sorry folks, but I feel I must apologize for yellowlightman. This thread was actually closed by >EXO< 10 minutes after I had started it for the reason that it was neither "anime" or "sci fi". So you can imagine my surprie when I found it open again.

I'm sure that yellowlightman does not really feel the way he does about the folks who watch Kevin Smith movies. In the last couple of days I have been added to yellowlightman's sh1t-list. Then in a attempt to hurt my feelings he tries to bash on me because I happen to want to see Clerks 2, not realizing that the vitriol he targets at me (even though he goes about it a punk-bitch way by not even explicitly mentioning my name) may spill onto innocents who happen to want to watch the same movie as well. Such is his bitterness. I mean, I don't get it. It seems like you're the one with his thumb up his ass. Remove it and loosen up, bro. You'll live a happier and longer life.

Xs and Os,

RP

i am going to get piss drunk and watch it in the theater with a bunch of piss drunk friends and it will be hilarious... even if it's not.

394095[/snapback]

What kind of mentality is it when you can't actually enjoy a film without being high or drunk?

394126[/snapback]

Maybe we have a feeling it's gonna suck we think it needs a little help? Or maybe we're just being faecitious?

Maybe we have a feeling it's gonna suck we think it needs a little help?

394368[/snapback]

I dont understand watching a movie anticipating that it's gonna be bad. I can see how you would come out of a movie disappointed, but going in thinking it's gonna be bad is just, excuse me... idiotic.

Or maybe we're just being faecitious?

394368[/snapback]

Better learn how to spell it first if your gonna try to impress me with big words.

The problem with your facetiousness is that you tend to derail threads with it, whether it be about weed, hookers or strippers, sure it seems like harmless fun to you but there's other people on the boards.

And who locked what?

Edited by >EXO<

Better learn how to spell it first if your gonna try to impress me with big words.

394374[/snapback]

OH NOES!!!!11!! I've been brought down a peg! A whole peg!!!!

I'll work on the speling.

And who locked what?

394374[/snapback]

That's a good question. After your post that said something along the lines of...

Anime?  Science Fiction?  Neither.

...this thread was closed. Now it's open and said post has been deleted. So if not you, then who? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Or is this too off-topic?