Manga Video And Macross Plus

Penguin

Okay... flashback to last year and Manga's "Macross Plus 10th Anniversary Box Set". When I heard of this, I briefly thought "this is the kind of thing companies do to grab a quick buck before they stop production on something". I didn't think much on it after that.

Now, Image Entertainment has just released a remastered version of the first Patlabor movie, and will be releasing the second one this summer (my Patlabor-lovin' heart sings at this :D ). Both of these are former Manga Video titles.

So, it occurred to me that maybe Macross Plus might be sliding out of Manga's grasp too, opening up a chance for a remastered movie version sometime in the future. Since my fingers are far away from the pulse of the anime distribution industry, has anyone else encountered any evidence that could give us hope for an improved qualty release of the Macross Plus titles?

Or would HG try to kill any such re-release if Manga released/lost the property?

Edited by Penguin

I'm guessing the last thing, but I don't have a very high opinion of HG.

I would look forward to having a cleaner version of Macross Plus and the movie edition, damned direct from video rip. At least they didn't have hard subtitles like the Ranma 1/2 OVA collection for panda's signs (well I can't remember if the movie edition M+ did or didnt, it's been a while since I watched it).

Now, Image Entertainment has just released a remastered version of the first Patlabor movie, and will be releasing the second one this summer (my Patlabor-lovin' heart sings at thisĀ  :D ).

394006[/snapback]

Uh, what? Damn, I've got to look into this! I adore the Patlabor films one and two.

Uh, what?Ā  Damn, I've got to look into this!Ā  I adore the Patlabor films one and two.

394085[/snapback]

Amazon.com's got the first one in both a limited edition, multi-disc extravaganza and a regular version. The second (my personal favourite of the two) isn't up for preorder there yet, but it will be.

Or would HG try to kill any such re-release if Manga released/lost the property?

394006[/snapback]

That would require money, something HG doesn't have much of!

They talk a good game and like to "scare" fandom about Macross products, but when pressed they fold like a cheap wallet and admit they only have the rights to SDF Macross and that's all.

Manga is owned by Anchor Bay and AB has fairly deep pockets, so if you want a remastered edition of Macross Plus, I'd suggest banging on Anchor Bay's door...

Edited by Zinjo

Now, Image Entertainment has just released a remastered version of the first Patlabor movie, and will be releasing the second one this summer (my Patlabor-lovin' heart sings at thisƂĀ  :D ).

394006[/snapback]

Uh, what? Damn, I've got to look into this! I adore the Patlabor films one and two.

394085[/snapback]

Ditto! :D I really hope there are some worthy extras and those lame arse Manga previews do NOT count at all! :angry:

Hopefully they also fixed the glitching and freezing found in the first film. I can give specifics if anyone needs it, but suffice to say, those errors really should not exist. <_<

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

394006[/snapback]

Harmony Gold has neither the money, nor the ability to do any such thing. Right now, nearly all of what little money their company has left is sunk into their latest attempt to make an original Robotech sequel, something that's flopped what, three or four times now? Even if they had the money or influence to supress a re-release, they'd never manage it for long, because the demand is simply too high when compared to their own products. Harmony Gold has a wonderfully long history of talking a good game, and never being able to back their words up, and like Zinjo said, they tend to fold given the slightest pressure.

Even if Manga did let their licence lapse, the most likely contenders for it in my mind would likely be Image, Geneon, and possibly ADV.

Image Entertainment has just released a remastered version of the first Patlabor movie

Remastered Patlabor movie you say? I'm there.

Not to mention, thy have no leg to stand on in blocking Macross Plus anymore. They let it through, and if they try to now, ten years on, say "oh no no no, we are asserting our rights," they'd be laughed out of court. Now that being said, they could scare off small-fry companies by the threat of making any courtroom victory in the matter a Pyhrric one.

394006[/snapback]

They talk a good game and like to "scare" fandom about Macross products, but when pressed they fold like a cheap wallet and admit they only have the rights to SDF Macross and that's all.

Manga is owned by Anchor Bay and AB has fairly deep pockets, so if you want a remastered edition of Macross Plus, I'd suggest banging on Anchor Bay's door...

394226[/snapback]

Anchor Bay's the one behind the DVD releases of Highlander: Director's Cut, Halloween, Monty Python's Life of Brain, Supergirl, et al.

Let's hope that Anchor Bay does in fact release a remastered edition of Macross Plus, both the OAV and Movie Edition.

At this point, I don't think it'd be a matter of HG stepping in to do anything, as they should be in their death throws trying to get shadow crap out.

Chances are Big West is a bit gunshy right now, or at least until they get their licensing 100% settled & shut Tastunoko up once & for all. I wouldn't doubt if they held off on licensing any Macross until after that matter is settled.

At this point, I don't think it'd be a matter of HG stepping in to do anything, as they should be in their death throws trying to get shadow crap out.

Chances are Big West is a bit gunshy right now, or at least until they get their licensing 100% settled & shut Tastunoko up once & for all. I wouldn't doubt if they held off on licensing any Macross until after that matter is settled.

395780[/snapback]

SDF Macross is the only Big West title in dispute. All other Macross titles are clearly owned by Big West.

This could also be why Big West hasn't sold any other Mac rights to HG or even it's associates, which may not bode well should ADV have any wish to market Macross Zero in North America, if my suspicion turns out to be true.