Gundam Plamodel Thread - II

didn't want to start a new thread for something this boring, but I had an idea to do a desert version of the MG Kampher. I'm gonna dry brush some dirt and rust on him, as he would probably be a heavy-use ground unit.  Sorry for bad pics. It wasn't the best idea to take a photo of a brown model in front of a brown wall. :)

dsc020649ko.th.jpg

dsc020638lu.th.jpg

dsc020667wn.th.jpg

393184[/snapback]

Dude, that desert-kampher r0x!

oh, yeah, btw. try to use the thumbnails-version so it loads faster. :)

Edited by treatment

didn't want to start a new thread for something this boring, but I had an idea to do a desert version of the MG Kampher. I'm gonna dry brush some dirt and rust on him, as he would probably be a heavy-use ground unit.  Sorry for bad pics. It wasn't the best idea to take a photo of a brown model in front of a brown wall. :)

WHOOOW!!!! THAT IS WAH I CALL... UGLY!

When you mentioned me you will be doing this custom I tough "whaever, the kampfer will never look bad even if is Guppy the one doing the panitjob" But now I see how wrong I was.

LOL!!

It really looks nice, and yep, it will be really awsome if you add some weathering! Anyways it already rocks.

I would add some paint in the hands, also it seems you only painted the armor (lazy Aussie) It will really look nicer if you add a bit more paint.

Will you add more details, like panel lines and more declas or you will only add the weathering?? Considering the size I think with the weathering it will look Ok. The colors also are very nice. nice Custom Gup!!

actually the hands is the only thing I didn't paint. I agree, they are a really ugly shade of blue. The pics are bad but I did airbrush the panel lines and shade in the the brown over the top.

PS - I always love your endearing words of encouragement sebastian! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

In Japan, especially if you've done work for Hobby Japan, Dengeki Hobby, or Model Graphix, you can fetch a pretty good amount for your models. But in the US, few understand the time and effort that goes into making painted models, and expect them to be priced like you were buying it from Walmart...

I wonder if this kit is a custom or an officially made.

That was in the Hobby Japan I got a month ago... I think it was a custom.

396368[/snapback]

It's a repaint of the MG ver. 2 kit. Nice one...but the purple is kinda dull. Blends in a tad too much to the grey.

I have for a few years now been trying to get into Gundam I have some of the DVDs and some Gashapon`s but last trip to Japan I was really thinking about getting a couple of Gundam kits.

I dont know which brands are best and also what sizes.

Basically I was thinking good quality builds arround the size of a 1/72 Hasegawa. The gundam scales arent the same as Macross as far as I know.

Any info on what to go for and sizes would be great.

Edited by big F

I have for a few years now been trying to get into Gundam I have some of the DVDs and some Gashapon`s but last trip to Japan I was relly thinking abotu getting a couple of Gundam kits.

I dont know which brands are best and also what sizes.

Basically I was thinking good quality builds arround the size of a 1/72 Hasegawa. The gundam scales arent the same as Macross as far as I know.

Any info on what to go for and sizes would be great.

396826[/snapback]

The closest to 1/72 that I know of is the PG (Perfect Grade) 1/60 line from Bandai (great looking pieces of engineering with 800+ parts) and the no grade 1/60 (really simple and lack the internal detail the PG have. The PG is the best line of Gundam kits (they are also expensive)

The other scales for Bandai kits are:

-MG (Master Grade) 1/100. They are getting better and better.

-No grade 1/100. Simple when compared to the MG

-HGUC (High Grade Universal Century) 1/144. Really great line if you want small kits with very good detail.

Go to Dalong. It's in Korean but has TONS of pics of almost all of the Bandai Gundam kits.

really nice! I always have a lot of respect for the courage it takes to add physical damage to a kit, not just painted on weathering.

Thanks.... I'm so embarassed with how dusty they are tho... :lol:

397671[/snapback]

haha... leave the dust. adds to the 'realistic' weathered look! :D

alright, i've been directed to post stuff in this thread for feedback, so here goes.

this is crap by everyone else's standards here; which is precisely why i'm posting it. to get good advice on how to make it better.

i've only airbrushed on what i perceive to be "shadowing" - unfortunately, as you can see, it has turned my Strike Freedom into Strike Greydom.

once again, please offer your collective wisdom. i am your peon.

post-2777-1147166692_thumb.jpg

Thinnner lines/areas of grey and maybe more white added to it to thin it down a little. That said I kinda like it like it is.

What scale is it, this can have an affect on how much shading yoiu should add.

The idea is to slightly darken the area around seem lines or edges. You can do the process in reverse. Paint the whole area in the darker shade and then center out the middle of each pannel with the correct colour. There were some Japanese modle making videos posted on a torrent site a while ago showing you how to do it among other things. A link was posted on M.W.

I have the files they are arround 100+ megs each. I have though of posting them to my web space during a weekend if the interest was there.

Edited by big F

the latter being preshading, and the former being postshading yeah? :)

yes i would like to see those videos, if possible. do you know the URL? i'm sure all the beginner modellers on MW would appreciate them!

my main worry is that my airbrush has a 0.3mm nozzle and i have no regulator on my baby air compressor. so the spray comes out actually quite wide, rather than narrow. this makes shading along the seams and lines tricky.

Look! What ever you started with that grey keep going it's looking good. Don't think of shadeing, think of weathering. Think about where smoke or thruster marks are going to lay. It looks good really. Keep it going ;) .

haha .. well, to be honest, everytime i screw up with the airbrush, i think to myself: "that's just battle damage .. weathering .. dirt etc".

i want to stop that. it's a cop-out! :p

should i not use black for shadowing? would something like faint grey be better?

the truth is, i like nice clean gundams/mechs with only the minimal amount of shadowing done. something like this (by Michael Fichtenmayer):

post-2777-1147257183_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiyao

For your whites I'd recommend using a dark grey for the shading, not straight black. For colors, mix in some black with teh base color.... personally, I'll take realisticly drybrushed and shaded and weathered over anime-style pen and ink look any day. To me, the flat panel lined look is just too unrealistic.... these things are warmachines, and should look accordingly...

ah yes drybrushing. it seems like such an attractive and easy to do concept, and yet execution is always .. impossible (to look good - at least for me anyways).

i've searched around drybrushing FAQs, but they tend to be vague (dip brush in paint, wipe it off with tissue, get to the parts and start brushing!). do you have any particular tips as to how to perform proper drybrushing?

i know we're supposed to drybrush areas that have wear and tear (eg. gun barrel, thrusters, rain-exposed areas). but anywhere else?

Ahh, another of Dave's beat-to-hell-and-back mobile suits...

I don't think there's been a kit you've posted yet I haven't enjoyed.

Keep up the good work!