The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

Smokey and the Bandit!

Does anyone here have any movie/tv show replica cars?  K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider, General Lee, A-Team van?

390900[/snapback]

Yeah, I like the "Super Chickens" too.

I keep saying one of these days, I'm gonna build a Mad Max replica out of my old Falcon; but looking at a potential expense of about: $16K for the necessary parts, $2-3K for a proper engine rebuild/power increase, another $6-9K for bodywork & suspension [gotta make it handle and rust-free while it's apart], then another $3-5K for paint, needless to say that "one day" would be a looong way off...

That German-built Cobra would have to be one of the few--and I mean few--times I'd have to ask "is that too much HP?" At least, for a street car? Considering the relatively small and light construction of the body style, and the short wheelbase, seems like one wouldn't be able to really drive it they way one might want to. Driving as though you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedal in this thing would be an understatement; it'd have to be treated like the trigger on a loaded bazooka, metaphorically speaking. "Sqeeze, don't pull!"

That Cobra is just stupid. I hope they didn't ruin an original for that. Even the 427s are too hairy for most people, I would wager that this thing is near undrivable.

It's like they did it just to say they did...which is usually pretty cool, but in this case I can't help but just shake my head.

and translation or no - the article that accompanied the photos sounds as if it was written by a high schooler.

Edited by Phyrox

Well it is built by Germans, the same people to churn out the Veyron (eventhough it is a money pit and selling at a loss), it's just for the sake of dumping money into something to claim the pride and title of being the fastest car. Realistically if a company wanted to invest millions into the fastest supercar in the world they could, but it's so much nicer when it happens as a coincidence of just building a great car (McLaren F1, Koenigsigg's, S7, F40, etc.), that's not only good for going in a straight line, but can also hold its own on a track.

EDIT: Had to add the F40, arguably one of the greatest super cars of all time.

Edited by emajnthis

EDIT: Had to add the F40, arguably one of the greatest super cars of all time.

391156[/snapback]

My favorite Ferrari and car of all time, hands down.

Anyways, cars like the Veyron were built for unhappy people with nothing inside.

In the 20th Anniversary issue of Automobile they did the top 20 vehicles of the last decade (available in the US) and the F40 was in there (as the McLaren was not regularly available in the US). I've only ever skimmed through Automobile magazine, but after reading a few of their latest issues i might get a subscription. Their justification for their top twenty, though sometimes questionable, was if nothing else factual and intelligently written.

F40 is one of a very small handful of Ferrari's that i really love (The handful mostly consisting of Ferrari's that begin with the # 3). For one it was a pefectly timed twin turbo and eventhough it was aimed to be a grand tourer, it ended up being a full on pure bread race machine, with stripped interior and completely functional yet fluid styling. And compared to it's successors (though i hardly consider them as such) the F50 and the Enzo, it still is the best looking and can be built to be a better performer (than the Enzo, it's already better than the F50).

And compared to it's successors (though i hardly consider them as such) the F50 and the Enzo, it still is the best looking and can be built to be a better performer (than the Enzo, it's already better than the F50).

391186[/snapback]

I whole-heartedly agree, mon ami. My friends argue about the F40, F50, and Enzo/F60 all the time (we have to argue about them since none of us can actually afford them). All of them adore the F50 and think I'm nuts to think that the F40 is better looking or better performing somehow.

Speaking of the Enzo, did you get the news about the wrecked Enzo on Pacific Coast Highway a month or so ago down in Virginia?

I don't recall an accident in VA, there was the one involving that CEO dude from Britian down in California. He totally wrecked the car and made up some fake story to cover his tracks since the car payments had lapsed. Pretty ridiculous.

There shouldn't even be an arguement between the F40 and the F50, the F50 was a piece of crap, everyone knows it. The Enzo and the F40 is a completely different story, but the LM F40 was stupid fast and if i remember right was better than the Enzo in every category except for top speed. Plus the F40 is the best looking ferrari to date (with the 308, 355 and 360 on its tail).

Actually, the accident occured in CA (NOT VA). The driver was a former website CEO from Sweden. Shortly after the infamous accident, his wife's Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren was impounded. The driver was recently charged with grand theft auto (the Enzo, SLR and a second Enzo belonged to a European company he owed money to) and immigration violations.

I don't recall an accident in VA, there was the one involving that CEO dude from Britian down in California.

391195[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

I was wondering if you got the news about it down in Virginia. Wondering if the news made it nationally.

It was on CNN so yeh, but i think if you're a car enthusiast news of a wrecked Enzo, F40, Carrera GT, Ford GT, Gallardo, etc. is going to make it to your door. I live like 5 minutes away from a Ferrari/Maserati dealership and about 10 minutes away from a Porsche dealership (one of the first to get the Carrera GT), and i used to work pretty closely with the guys at the Porsche dealership (they were my neighbors so to speak). Got the breaking news on the first three Carrera GT's that got wrecked, fortunately though they weren't as bad as the Enzo's.

Edited by emajnthis

Kinda funny how the idoit got himself arrested even when lying to the police, the poor Enzo had it really bad though. (at least it did it's job and saved the driver for future harrassment and embarrassment)

Ford execs and mag writers always want to credit the '67 Mustang as the biggest "inspiration" behind the design direction of the new model--but I've always thought it was definitely closer to this model 65-66 fastbacks. One thing I wish they hadn't made so extreme is the rising beltline, creating that "wedge" shape to the body, like a soap box racer, or a doorstop. Oh well, just par for the course with modern automotive designs, I guess.

2006-Ford-Shelby-GT-H-1.jpg

I didn't know guys would swap the engines out of them though. I'd heard the stories about people renting them for a w'end, putting cages in them and taking them to the track for racing, then cutting the cage back out so they could return it to Hertz on Monday. Now there's and idea for a magazine story. Maybe I'll e-mail Grassroots M'sports, Popular Hotrodding or somebody like that; ask if somebody'll take the "challenge," see if they can conceivably rent a new 'Stang GT-H, put a cage in it, take it to a race [something like SCCA T-1 or a NASA event], then get the cage back out and the car back by Monday?

Edited by reddsun1

Dude, the news was all over the U.S. Nearly every car magazine had an article on it.

391204[/snapback]

Don't subscribe to any car mags.

And I don't watch CNN.

So forgive me for asking.

391330[/snapback]

It was all over the internet too. Haha, just bugging ya. My heart goes out to that poor Ferrari. *uck the driver.

It just goes on and on and on and on.....

Hertz' rent a racer not enough to get you excited? The California Special doesn't tickle your fancy? Shelby's turbo-6 and hot V8's don't seem different enough? Well [yet another] tuner will get in on the "heritage" act, this time Saleen, in conjunction with Parnelli Jones, will vie for your muscle car aspiratinos with the limited ed. Mustang inspired by Jones' own Trans-Am steed of 1970. Looks like production will be limited to 500 units, and cost $50,000 ea. [are they fu--ing kidding?] Underhood motivation will come courtesy a higher than std revving 302c.i. making 370hp/370lb-ft. Other touches include a replica '70 replica rear wing, 302 valve covers, suspension and brake upgrades, and interior touches to match the "grabber orange" paint. The #15 roundels will be removable and reusable static cling--thank bloody Christ; that'd look incredibly tacky if left on while driving on the street. 'Bout as bad as a street-stock Monte Carlo painted black with a big a$$ no. 3 on the doors. <_< Considering the Boss was an entirely different body-style of Mustang, it kinda looks out of place. There should have been some notable '65-'66 teams they could have taken inspiration from? Nice T-A minilite-inspired wheels though.

IMG_5803.jpg

Front_3Q.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

"Italian design house and coachbuilder Zagato has released a preview photo of its newest creation, the one-of-a-kind Ferrari 575GTZ. While the development of the custom Ferrari was announced at the Geneva Motor Show this spring, Zagato decided to unveil the car at the famous Villa d'Este concours d'elegance in Italy later this month, where the car's iconic predecessor, the Ferrari 250 GTZ, debuted 50 years ago.

The new Ferrari GTZ was commissioned by Japanese car collector Yoshiyuki Hayashi (pictured), who specifically requested that Zagato make a unique 575 in the style of the famous 250 GTZ berlinetta. The aluminum-bodied car incorporates a host of styling cues from Zagato's classic custom sports cars of the '50s, including the two-tone color scheme of the 250GTZ.

Zagato promises a full set of photos of the new car closer to its debut date of April 22. In the meantime, we'll have to be content with this picture of the GTZ and its happy owner."

Ferrari575GTZ_120406.jpg

It just goes on and on and on and on.....

Hertz' rent a racer not enough to get you excited?  The California Special doesn't tickle your fancy?  Shelby's turbo-6 and hot V8's don't seem different enough?  Well [yet another] tuner will get in on the "heritage" act, this time Saleen, in conjunction with Parnelli Jones, will vie for your muscle car aspiratinos with the limited ed. Mustang inspired by Jones' own Trans-Am steed of 1970.

391515[/snapback]

Looks kinda "meh" in IMHO. For $50k I'd think I'd opt to save up for a C6 or Cayman. Or possibly buy a used 911. But that's just me.

To their credit, the "PJ" Mustang does look a lot like one of the Multimatic[?] Fords running in the Grand Am series. It actually was the first to run the "retro-Boss" livery, back in '05.

mspt%20race%206%20lg.jpg

100805virC800-05.jpg

I'm curious to see just which racing series Chevy and Dodge will "officially" take their respective new cars into when they're introduced in the next couple of years? It's almost certain they will, since m'sports will be a natural tie-in with their performance images. With the demise of the Trans-Am [had become nothing but a "silhouette" series anyway], and the impending return of the pony car wars, you can bet there are a bunch of brand-image managers and performance division directors poring over these very matters even now.

*edit* The dash/layout of the new 'Stang looks pretty good--a #$%! sight better than the Camaro concept, that's fer sure. I just hope that concept car's layout doesn't make it to production, cause it's just poorly laid out. Vital gauges--for a car that's supposed to be "performance oriented," like oil pressure, and eng. temp--put down in a "black hole" in the center cosole under the dash?! Just poor ergonomics. Way to go, Chevy--let the crack-smoking monkeys leave the board room and venture into the design studios too, did we?

Edited by reddsun1

I'm curious to see just which racing series Chevy and Dodge will "officially" take their respective new cars into when they're introduced in the next couple of years?  It's almost certain they will, since m'sports will be a natural tie-in with their performance images.  With the demise of the Trans-Am [had become nothing but a "silhouette" series anyway], and the impending return of the pony car wars, you can bet there are a bunch of brand-image managers and performance division directors poring over these very matters even now.

391541[/snapback]

They'll probably take the Camaro and Challenger to the Grand Am Cup Series to compete with the Mustang (which won Ford the Manufacturer's Championship). I'd like to see Chevy go D1GP, though. Early this year, Vaughn Gittin, Jr. drove a Mustang GT and became the first American to win a D1GP race.

05Drifting%7E0.jpg

What about Millen in the GTO?

391582[/snapback]

AFAIK, Rhys Millen isn't competing in D1GP right now. Probably because he was too busy filming the racing scenes in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

This thread is quickly turning into a Mustang thread.  :lol:

Yeah, I guess we should stop here for the moment. I'll post pics of my Mustang next time.