The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

but they still didn't get rid of the big problem... weight

389659[/snapback]

That's because nearly all German cars are heavyweights. What I noticed about them is that the engineers care more about torque than weight. The VW GTi weighs well over 3,000 lbs. - That's around 300-500 lbs. more than most other sport hatchbacks.

too bad America doesn't get the cool european front/rear ends, for some reason honda always puts the gay looking grills for US releases thinking they'll sell better.

389632[/snapback]

You won't have to worry about that with the new Civic Hatch. I doubt it'll even come to the US.

What I'm really interested in is the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It's a little larger than the original FJ but I'm hearing good reviews. The only negative thing I've heard about it is visibility problems, front and back. Hopefully Toyota will solve that problem with the following year's model.

anybody ever notice a cycle here? light cars('40's) become middleweight('50's) become heavyweights('60's-'74) become again lightweight ('75-'90) become middleweight ('91-'02) become heavyweight ONCE AGAIN!!!('02-current)

so does this mean we have to wait FIFTHTEEN YEARS before we get lightweight cars again?

so does this mean we have to wait FIFTHTEEN YEARS before we get lightweight cars again?

390060[/snapback]

Is this a serious question? There are always lightweight cars within any given automotive era; even in the eras you mentioned.

but they were few and far between, I was meaning more mainstream ones.

heck, even the hated Civic weighs almost 2800lbs now with all the electronics they stuffed in it. Honda would be better off making a flying car if the Civic ever goes above 3000lbs....

EDIT: yes, I hate Civics, and yes, I have owned one, and yes, it was a MAJOR pain-in-the-ass to work on, hence, why I hate it even more.

Edited by Lightning 06

had a beat-up '89 that had a stuck thermostat. Major PITA to get to, considering the inlet pipe runs right past the exaust manifold....what fun that was to fix, and my big hands weren't really helping considering how tight the space was. The stupid thing still overheated when I took the thermostat out.

Hence why I like working on RWD cars instead.

Gotta hand it to Ford--they know how to milk a phenomenon for all it's worth. In this case, the whole "retro/heritage" theme. Looks as though they will be partnering with Shelby yet again; this time, Hertz will also get in on the act to produce a special run of performance modded Mustang GTs, designated Shelby GT-H, and will be available for rent exclusively through Hertz. Approximately 500 units will be built:

"To connect the magical past of the original Shelby GT350H with the modern capabilities of the new Ford Mustang, Shelby, Ford and Hertz have again teamed up, and – together with the Ford Racing Performance Group – have given the 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H a very classic, muscular look as well as some true performance credentials.

"Like the original Hertz cars, the Ford Shelby GT-H will be fun to drive," said Carroll Shelby, CEO of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. "We started with a terrific Mustang and modified it with some Ford go-fast parts and gave it a distinct look for Shelby-style driving. Whoever gets the opportunity to rent one of these unique cars will get an experience of a lifetime."

Ford_Shelby_gth_10-500x312w.jpg

Ford_Shelby_gth_1-500x313w.jpg

All I know is, if I could get my hands on one for a w'end, it would definitely be put to good use. I live only an hour away from VIR, arguably one of the most challenging and beautiful tracks on the east coast. I could conceivably tear the ass end out of one o' them puppies down there.

Edited by reddsun1

Oh, that's got to fuggin' hurt! Check this out....

"Lamborghini Gallardo - Wrecked by Dubai speed bumper

Related: Lamborghini | Funny

The government of Dubai thought it would be a good idea to put a speed bump on a street where locals tended to speed. Problem is they didn’t tell anybody. This Gallardo hit it at over 60 MPH.

There’s actually a video of the accident. The back end of the Gallardo goes about 5 feet off the ground.

Lamborghini_Gallardo_Wrecked-480x345w.jpg

Some guys w/a camera, apparently anticipating what this huge bump would do the unsuspecting motorists, went out to watch the carnage. Saved the Lambo for last...video's here: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car_news/lamb...per-ar3138.html

Gotta hand it to Ford--they know how to milk a phenomenon for all it's worth.

390495[/snapback]

Did they make a Bullit version for this Mustang generation yet? Steve McQueen is the man.

mcqueen.jpg

Too bad Larry Shinoda passed away. He could've helped design the new Boss.

390495[/snapback]

Did they make a Bullit version for this Mustang generation yet? Steve McQueen is the man.

390497[/snapback]

Not yet. But they will. I'd bet on it.

Edited by reddsun1

390495[/snapback]

390497[/snapback]

Not yet. But they will. I'd bet on it.

390509[/snapback]

Yeah, Ford has a whole line of Mustang "variants" from the past that they could incorporate into this new Mustang line, so it's really just a matter of time.

A Shinoda Boss would've been sweet. Imagine: a car designed by a Japanese-American based off the new Mustang which was designed by a Vietnamese-American!

Multi-cultural America. It's a beautiful thing, mang. A beautiful thing. :)

I am fond of older cars, I have 4 right now only one completely restored and one that is partially (in need of a new paint job and some body work). I only have pictures of two of them on my laptop so I should have avoided talking about them but I might as well anyway. The two I have pictures of is a 77 hardtop Trans Am with a Poncho 400 and the other is a 78 T-Top Trans am with a Poncho 400 Ported 6x heads mild cam and a holley 750dp and soon to have a r4 tranny. The two other cars I have no pictures of is a 78 t-top Formula Firebird Black and gold with a 400 and a 1950 Plymouth Deluxe 2door with a flathead 6.

n49700341_30261976_3580.jpg

n49700341_30261978_4230.jpg

n49700341_30261980_4826.jpg

And just for those who notice...yes the rest are with a different camera.

n49700341_30261981_5112.jpg

n49700341_30261982_5403.jpg

n49700341_30261983_2025.jpg

I have more pictures on my facebook...just look for Jesse Grier if any of you are interested.

Bad news for Lexus owners:

Toyota Recalls 57,000 Lexus GS and IS Models

390443[/snapback]

Found more info regarding the recall:

"Affected by the recall are 2nd-generation Lexus IS and 3rd-generation Lexus GS models built between July and December 2005. Although Japanese news accounts only mention the four variants sold in the Japanese domestic market (IS250, IS350, GS350, GS430), it's safe to assume that export-only IS220d and GS300 models will be affected as well."

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=289463

It's not that big of a deal, the recall only involves the seatbelts after all. Owning an IS or a GS 430 would certainly overcome any disappointment for a minor defect like this. Heck, I don't even use shoulder belts anyway...

It's not that big of a deal, the recall only involves the seatbelts after all.  Owning an IS or a GS 430 would certainly overcome any disappointment for a minor defect like this.  Heck, I don't even use shoulder belts anyway...

390577[/snapback]

I dunno.

Living in Los Angeles I take seatbelts pretty seriously.

Hell, some BMW got rear-ended today on Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks by a Crown Vic at the conclusion of a hour-long chase. The Ford must've been doing 60-70mph easy.

Yeah, Ford has a whole line of Mustang "variants" from the past that they could incorporate into this new Mustang line, so it's really just a matter of time.

390564[/snapback]

Yeah, and once Chevy unleashes the new Camaro, don't be surprised if they build the Yenko S/C.

I am fond of older cars, I have 4 right now only one completely restored and one that is partially (in need of a new paint job and some body work). I only have pictures of two of them on my laptop so I should have avoided talking about them but I might as well anyway. The two I have pictures of is a 77 hardtop Trans Am with a Poncho 400 and the other is a 78 T-Top Trans am with a Poncho 400 Ported 6x heads mild cam and a holley 750dp and soon to have a r4 tranny. The two other cars I have no pictures of is a 78 t-top Formula Firebird Black and gold with a 400 and a 1950 Plymouth Deluxe 2door with a flathead 6.

And just for those who notice...yes the rest are with a different camera.

I have more pictures on my facebook...just look for Jesse Grier if any of you are interested.

390572[/snapback]

Smokey and the Bandit!

Does anyone here have any movie/tv show replica cars? K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider, General Lee, A-Team van?

Edited by peter

Smokey and the Bandit!

Does anyone here have any movie/tv show replica cars? K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider, General Lee, A-Team van?

390900[/snapback]

I am looking into selling my 77 silver car and maybe my truck to buy a Delorean :D I am in college so it's sort of hard to find the time even if I can afford it.

I am looking into selling my 77 silver car and maybe my truck to buy a Delorean  :D I am in college so it's sort of hard to find the time even if I can afford it.

390968[/snapback]

Why in God's name would you want a Delorean? Those cars are utter crap.

390971[/snapback]

Well I am a big fan of Pontiacs and Delorean created the GTO, Trans Am and of course the Delorean. I am not a fan of the engines...but I sort of like the stainless steel body and the gullwing doors. I would most likely transplant a different powerplant into it if I did get one. I have just been a sucker for those cars ever since I can remember and I would enjoy having one a whole bunch.

I am looking into selling my 77 silver car and maybe my truck to buy a Delorean  :D I am in college so it's sort of hard to find the time even if I can afford it.

390968[/snapback]

Why in God's name would you want a Delorean? Those cars are utter crap.

390971[/snapback]

I am not a fan of the engines...I would most likely transplant a different powerplant into it if I did get one.

390984[/snapback]

DSC00877_M.jpg

Don't tell me you didn't see that one coming a mile away.