The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

my wife's best friend was an import model, and some of them look decent in pictures and in person. But without the air brushing, make up, and lighting to hide their cellulite and goofy features, a lot of them are very ugly.

I say good show, old boy!  So nice to see a white girl with ass.

388541[/snapback]

I'm tellin' ya man, it's in the food or somethin'. It's all them steroids they're feeding to the poultry and the beef cattle, to get 'em to market faster. What goes into your food, goes into you....

I had to resist the urge earlier; of course that photo just leaves the door wide open for crass and sophmoric jokes/allusions to the lovely model's, *ahem* assets. Oh yeah, I suppose any number of analogies to dragsters and the prerequisite need for "big, wide meats in the rear"; or "wide treads" and being "good for plenty of traction," and that sort of rabble rousing. That would just be too obvious.

Oh, did someone mention something about a Toyota Solara being in that pic too? :p

All right, let's talk about car TV shows. What are you currently watching? Here's what's I'm following:

Overhaulin' (TLC) - "The owner gets tricked. The car gets tricked out." Veteran custom builder Chip Foose and his team take a person's junk car and give it a complete makeover within seven days.

Pinks (SPEED) - "Lose the race, lose your ride." Old-school drag racing with the cars (and sometimes bikes or go-karts) at stake.

Test Drive (SPEED) - Former race car driver Tommy Kendall goes behind the wheel of some of the latest rides on the market.

Unique Whips (SPEED) - "A car is just a car until it's unique." An everyday look at Will Castro and his crew at Unique Autosport as they customize the rides of the rich and famous.

Fifth Gear (SPEED) - Yes, it ain't Top Gear when it comes to Britsh automotive shows, but if you hate Jeremy Clarkson, this show's for you.

Sports Car Revolution (SPEED) - A look at sports cars and grass-roots auto racing north of the border (Canada, to be specific).

Dream Car Garage (SPEED) - Another good Canadian-based car show.

My Classic Car with Dennis Gage (SPEED) - The guy with the funny mustache takes you to a tour filled with thousands of vintage masterpieces on wheels.

American Muscle Car (SPEED) - Mustangs, Camaros, GTOs, you name it. This show focuses on the great big-block cars of the '60s and '70s, plus a few from the '80s, '90s and today.

Car Crazy (SPEED) - Meguiar's president Barry Meguiar travels around the world to talk with various car enthusiasts and show their passion for the automotive industry.

Chop Cut Rebuild: The Series (SPEED) - The story of five shops rebuilding and customizing different rides before presenting them to the SEMA Convention.

Redline TV (SPEED) - Yes, it's ricer-oriented, but this is actually one of the few that is enjoyable.

I only watch Top Gear. It's funny stuff, and how can you not like the Stig?

I'd watch Fifth Gear, but I find it dry and boring, especially compared to Top Gear.

I don't have cable, so the only TV I watch is stuff I can download, so that limits me quite a bit.

I only watch Top Gear. It's funny stuff, and how can you not like the Stig?

388804[/snapback]

I've got nothing against Clarkson; I just don't have a chance to watch the show. But it seems that there are a number of viewers who don't like him. Don't know the full details, though.

Most of the auto shows I see on TV these days seem to be geared towards the Pimp my Ride/bigass dubs side of automobiles - style over substance. Hence why I only watch Top Gear or Fifth Gear, but My Classic Car sounds really appealing since I am fascinated by vintage cars.

Most of the auto shows I see on TV these days seem to be geared towards the Pimp my Ride/bigass dubs side of automobiles - style over substance.  Hence why I only watch Top Gear or Fifth Gear, but My Classic Car sounds really appealing since I am fascinated by vintage cars.

388935[/snapback]

I've never seen a full episode of Pimp My Ride, so I don't know what the hell they do over there. I caught parts of an episode where they picked up some college student's Oldsmobile beater that was littered with cigarette butts all over the floor (which came from the previous owner). Never saw the ending, so I don't know what the car looks like now.

Still, even if I did watch Pimp My Ride, I'd prefer Overhaulin' to it, as Foose keeps the rides as old-school as possible without making the designs look too loud.

I should start taping Top Gear this week.

Does Formula One count as a TV show? :p

388920[/snapback]

Yeah, racing programs also count. I wish I had a DVR so I could record F1 and WRC.

388966[/snapback]

Okay, I watch F1 then. Last weeks race in Melbourne was a complete mess. There was like 3 yellow flags and 10 retirements. I'm happy that Toyota got it's first podium finish with Ralf Schumacher finishing in 3rd though. Fernando Alonso just dominated that race; he's definitely the next big thing. It isn't too late to pick up that DVR. Imola is 2 weeks away! I always look forward to Monaco, Hockenheim, Monza, Shanghai, and Suzuka. Those are just GREAT tracks IMHO.

SPEED dedicates a whole 5 minutes a week to the WRC. America doesn't know what it's missing out on. ESPN is trying to change that though.

Rally Racing comes to the ESPN X Games

Also, Foose truly reworks the car, addressing drivetrain, eletrical and other systems. 'Pimp just paints and decorates the car, so mechanically the original beater is still there...

Okay, I watch F1 then.  Last weeks race in Melbourne was a complete mess.  There was like 3 yellow flags and 10 retirements.

388978[/snapback]

Worse than the Malaysia race? That one had blown engines written all over it. Not to mention Jenson Button whining about Scott Speed holding him back on the closing laps.

SPEED dedicates a whole 5 minutes a week to the WRC.  America doesn't know what it's missing out on.  ESPN is trying to change that though.

Yup, SPEED pretty much sucks balls. What little coverage they did formerly give to the WRC was put in god-awful time slots [usually something like 12:30 or 1 am], so it's no wonder that it would be hard to build an audience. Ever since ownership of the network changed hands, it's been downhill ever since, and I find less and less reason to watch it.

I do like Dream Car Garage and Sports Car Revolution though. I've met Peter Klutt, and he was a pretty nice guy. I even corresponded with Tom Hnatiw for a while about possibly doing an ep on Aussie muscle cars, but it kinda fell through. Just aren't enough of them here in the US to get enough info for a whole TV segment, I guess.

Supaaa Rocket Turbo Powah!!!! :lol:

BMW%20Wow.jpg

Cor-ny!

You know, it's gonna be a shame when this thread finally moves onto the 7th page--for some reason, I keep finding myself pausing at that dragster pic on the way down to the new posts...

dammit! and that dubious honor belongs to me :(

Edited by reddsun1

Yup, SPEED pretty much sucks balls.  What little coverage they did formerly give to the WRC was put in god-awful time slots [usually something like 12:30 or 1 am], so it's no wonder that it would be hard to build an audience. 

That's because most of those racing broadcasts are live! So obviously many of them are in wacky timeslots.

One time in Japan, I watched F1 at about 1:30 in the morning (live of course)...

Japan has much better motorsports coverage (usually because a Japanese person is involved somehow...).

It's rumored that GM is bringing a newer Opel "GT" to America under the "Stingray" name. It's going to fall into place as an entry level sports coupe right below the GTO/Camaro. GM has been doing a lot of that lately (Saturn Sky is the current Opel GT in europe) taking from their australian and european branches for domestic releases.

Hopefully Opel will take styling cues from their vintage 70's GT (like the one pictured above) and pull out a work of art.

As if the AMG-tuned Mercedes CLS isn't enough, there's the ver. tuned by ART, the GTR 620. The significance of the number designation? How about: 620hp/657lb-ft! :blink: 0-100km/hr acceleration comes in just 4 seconds. The spoilers and ducts are a bit garish, but anyone who wants to criticize won't be able to keep up long enough to get in a word edge-wise.

art_tuning_620_gtr_4.jpg

art_tuning_620_gtr_2.jpg

art_tuning_620_gtr_1.jpg

Makes prodigious use of carbon fibre inside and out, as well as leather, velour and alcantara upgrades to further increase the "diplomatic elegance" over regular Mercedes models. Didn't see a price on this one; but I figure this must be one of them rides that: if you have to ask, you can't afford it anyway...

too bad America doesn't get the cool european front/rear ends, for some reason honda always puts the gay looking grills for US releases thinking they'll sell better.

Ford is guilty of the same thing, the Focus in Europe looks pimp. They're finally going to do something right though and bring the hard top convertible European Focus to America.

I love the CLS, it's the only recent Mercedes model that i have any sort of respect for (besides the SLK) as it's one of the few that actually accomplishes the task that it was created to do.

Edited by emajnthis