The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

Dust shields perhaps?

I think you are right. I didn't pay enough attention to that particular photo. I honestly never noticed those in the other photos where the car is further away from the camera. Perspective trick I guess. BTW, does anyone know who paid Saleen to convert the GTO to the Bumble-Maro? I'm wondering if it was the movie production company or GM. The rumor is that it was actually General Motors, but that seems pretty costly considering they could have just loaned one of the show car mules for filming.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. And it looks like Steve Saleen may have built up some goodwill with the conversions since he is reported to be in talks with GM to build his own version of the Camaro. I can't wait. The mustang boards will be full of brand-loyal idiots complaining. And unknowing Camaro fans will get the privilege of paying 15K+ over sticker for a car with poor fitting body parts, simple bolt-ons, and some vastly overpriced suspension components. Lucky them.

Edited by trueblueeyes

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. And it looks like Steve Saleen may have built up some goodwill with the conversions since he is reported to be in talks with GM to build his own version of the Camaro. I can't wait. The mustang boards will be full of brand-loyal idiots complaining. And unknowing Camaro fans will get the privilege of paying 15K+ over sticker for a car with poor fitting body parts, simple bolt-ons, and some vastly overpriced suspension components. Lucky them.

I know its very early to talk pricing on the new Camaro, but what is the MSRP going to be on these things? The reason I ask is b/c I wonder how GM is going to keep the SS from cannibalizing potential Vette sales. Ford saw a price increase from the 03-04 Cobra to the GT 500. I bet GM will as well for the higher end version of the Camaro.

Grats on your first new car, Lightning! I fondly remember my first brand newcar , a 1992 Nissan Sentra.

Funny how I always seem to come across quite a few manual transmission cars that lack tachometers, yet see dozens of automatics with them. Wouldn't you need a tach with a manual more than you'd need one on an automatic?

An 07 as a first car, that's cool. My first car was a 79 Caprice Impala, (older then me by 5 years) and in no way economic at about 20 miles to the gallon it cost me 7 dollars a day to get to and from work. When I got my 06 TC did I get rid of the beast, no. In my opinion I don't think that you should ever get rid of your first car (if possible).

In theory you don't need a tachometer, because traditionally they were just used to gauge the safe areas of engine operation and to know when to shift gear accordingly, rev-limiters made them slightly less useful and you can tell you need to shift by sound alone.

ANYWAYs the Yaris probably has a rev-limiter to prevent any engine racing, however common sense is always best applied topically.

Congratulations Lightning! I had an 04 Scion xA (same car different body), and i understand your gripes of having non-existant power, though i'm a bit concerned that it didn't come with a tach. I thought that was almost a standard among manual cars built after the 90's (I owned some manual Civics w/o Tachs). You can always have an aftermarket one installed, especially since the "power" in that car doesn't come till nearly red line. I know the xA had a very close set gear ratio so eventhough it had crap power, it was able to getup and go if you needed to. My biggest complaint was the brakes; they were fine in most situations but there was always the occassional brake, steer, honk scenario that it wasn't so good at.

So, I'm looking at my Z rated tires and seeing that I need new ones. I'm a little shocked because the tire place tells me that I only put "just 20,000" miles on them over the last 6 years. They also tell me that if someone can manage to get more than 15K out of high performance tires they're lucky because they're not designed to last that long. Any of you guys agree with or know about that? The shop's recommended H rated tires for a balance between looks/performance and reliability, but the supposed short lifespan of Z rated tires just blows my mind. The PS3 will have to wait.

Also, I'd congratulate you Lightning but I shudder at the thought of having car payments again. I hope your deal is manageable...

Edited by myk

I've come to figure this out about the car though...it'd make one kick-ass little rally car.

as to the whole "I need a tach!!" thing...it turns out that TRD makes a gauge pod that has a 11k rpm tach(holy poo!), water and oil pressure gauges that fits onto the driver's side glovebox door......and I might be able to get it done without voiding any warranties!

So, I'm looking at my Z rated tires and seeing that I need new ones. I'm a little shocked because the tire place tells me that I only put "just 20,000" miles on them over the last 6 years. They also tell me that if someone can manage to get more than 15K out of high performance tires they're lucky because they're not designed to last that long. Any of you guys agree with or know about that? The shop's recommended H rated tires for a balance between looks/performance and reliability, but the supposed short lifespan of Z rated tires just blows my mind. The PS3 will have to wait.

Depends on the brand. I've put over 27,000 miles on my Pirelli P-Zero Nero Z-rated tires, and they still look new. Once they wear out, I'm switching to H-rated tires - either the Pirelli P6 or whatever Michelin has to offer.

I got 39,000 out of my H-rated, but I don't race at all--I baby my car like you wouldn't believe.

Anyways----have a problem. Last time the dealership checked my supercharger oil, they put the plug back in way too tight--it's only supposed to have like 8ft/lb on it, I think they did like 30. (Do all mechanics tighten everything as much as they can instead of looking up the numbers? Seems to be a common problem--stuff torqued way over spec) And now it's time to change the supercharger oil, but I have a stuck plug, and it's starting to get rounded out--I can put some torque on a 3/16in hex, but not much before it slips. I can't make too many more attempts before I have a perfect circle and nothing will work. It takes a 3/16in allen/hex key. Possibilities, from reading suggestions online:

1. Hammer in a 5mm hex into it (3/16in is 4.7mm)

2. JB-weld a 3/16in key in, and try that. (Seems to have worked for at least 2 people).

3. Either of the above, combined with hot/cold expansion. I can just floor it on the interstate and get the supercharger snout burning hot, then try a hex key taken from the freezer, hope it'll cool the plug pretty quick, and see if there'll be enough contracting of the cooling plug in the hot supercharger to help free it. (Though the possibility of hot, burning oil spraying out makes me consider this a last resort---I really can't spot-heat/torch the area, as I've got wires/tubing/electronics only an inch away)

Using an EZ-out etc is probably not going to work, based on how shallow the plug is. (plus I have no experience with that, and there's little room to work due the fuel rails)

there's a tool that's used when nuts are rounded...I forget what it's called. Check with your local auto parts store, they should know what it's called.

Problem is, the time difference between them tightening it, and me trying to loosen it, is too great. Seriously doubt they'd admit/fix anything.

Did you ever get that taken care of? Worse they can do is say no. Just emphasize that "they were the last ones to tighten it." Any establishment with a sense of customer service would take care of you.

As for the morons wrecking exotics, it's unfortunate but usually it's the morons with the money to buy those cars in the first place.

Finally, I ended up getting Z-rated Falken 512's to replace my Firestone/Firehawk SZ50's; at $523 out the door it wasn't too bad. My only problem with the place was the bait and switch they tried to pull on me: "Oh sorry, the tires you ordered are out of stock, but we DO have these Yokohama-whatevers at only $50 more per tire!"

Edited by myk

Shell's most expensive commercial ever featuring historical F1 Ferrari's racing through major cities around the world.

that commercial was pretty friggin sweet.

lol, i couldn't even begin to fathom what the insurance premiums were to cover the cars for filming...and that little "punt" off the retainer wall with that one car---i'm sure that wasn't intentional, and i'm just as sure the owner probably sh*t himself when it happened! :lol:

"!$%#%%!!!! my wheels!! #&%&^J*#@!!!" :lol:

another of Doug "burningman" Schramm's photoshops....

of course, Ford would never produce another coupe--nothing that could potentially cannibalize Mustang sales...pity, cause if they made a rwd coupe based on the Fusion that looked like this--and with V6 or optional V8 power--I bet they'd sell. They could conceivably reincarnate the Fairlane nameplate with it, and they could go after the 35 and up demographic, those that might not be so quick to go in for a 'Stang...

post-1488-1174715392_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Wouldn't people notice this kinda' thing when a GTO pulls in for servicing or even tire installations? Gaijin, you're a cool cat and I don't want anything to happen to you, so I'll take that death-dealing GTO off of your hands...

AFAIK that was identified long ago. I believe it came about from the US cars having slightly wider tires than the Australian ones. Pontiac/GM didn't check the clearance well enough--it SEEMED to fit, but I think using the the wheel/tire sizes it was designed for would have been a better option.

GM rant:

There's never anything wrong with GM cars, much like how the kind I have isn't prone to catching on fire due to injector O-ring problems, despite me personally witnessing it happen to another. (as have many other people). You see, they're not *fires*. That could cause a recall. They are merely:

"UNCONTROLLED THERMAL EVENTS OF HIGH MAGNITUDE". According to GM.

So, GTO's probably never have *tire failures*, heavens no. Probably just "unexpected rapid shearing of rubber compound".

More about the GTO issue from the LS1 forum:

"The 2004-2005 Pontiac GTO is an imported version of the Australia Holden Monaro. The Holden Manaro comes from the factory with 235/45R17 tires, tires that are generally 235mm (9.25") wide. However, when Pontiac spec'd the GTO for the US, they finally decided on a 10mm wider tire, a 245/45R17 BF Goodrich G-Force KDWS tire"

That, combined with:

"One thing that is loosely related to this is the fact that many of these cars are out of alignment on the showroom floor, and simply getting them aligned may or may not be enough because about half (by one trustworthy dealer's estimate) have the rear cradle (subframes) misaligned to the body. What is less clear is exactly how many cars have the front cradle misaligned to the body, because GM NA doesn't recognize the tool or procedure (against Holden's spec---you know, the people who designed the car). An Australian aftermarket company obtained one of the last tools for this job and used it as a template to create more to sell to their dealers in the US. Thank goodness, since Pontiac decided to ignore the problem. One car had the front cradle 1/4 in. out--might as well be a mile in terms of an alignment."

In summary: GM thinks it can change things, or not follow the Australian designer's requirements, and not have any problems.

I don't plan on driving anywhere tomorrow, so I have my 3/16 hex socket JB-welded into my supercharger oil plug. And my socket wrench in the freezer. :)

Will let everyone know if it worked tomorrow night. (if not, I might have a 3/16 socket permanently attached to my supercharger)