Zentradi Nupetiet-vergnitzs

Mechleader

I agree. While a slightly rough outer surface is not wrong for a Zentraedi ship, I wish those "fins" or "dividers" whatever you call these grill-like-things at the rear end were thinner and more sharply shaped. All in all, it looks a little too "hand-made" in my eyes. Especially for the big size. Don´t know if I´m gonna spend my money on this one....

I wish those "fins" or "dividers" whatever you call these grill-like-things at the rear end were thinner and more sharply shaped. All in all, it looks a little too "hand-made" in my eyes. Especially for the big size.

382828[/snapback]

Perfect description Thorsten! And you would know my master sculptor freund. ;)

Edited by Grayson72

The paint job might be making it look crude. The paint is really thick and the highlights are a bit overdone for something of this size. The kit looked pretty interesting and with minor touching up and cleaning up it can look awesome. But who's willing to drop $200 to have to finish up someone else's project? For half the price, no problem...

Edited by baxojayz

Really don’t know what you guys are talking about, zentraedi ships always look organic and lumpy without a straight line on them, this looks exactly like I have always pictured it. This pic really shows what the raw resin looks like http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~ddwwp/nupverpat6.jpg Me im going to pic up a couple so when its oop and you guys realise you have mist the boat, I can sell it to you on ebay and have a holiday on you. :)

Really don’t know what you guys are talking about, zentraedi ships always look organic and lumpy without a straight line on them, this looks exactly like I have always pictured it. This pic really shows what the raw resin looks like http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~ddwwp/nupverpat6.jpg    Me im going to pic up a couple so when its oop and you guys realise you have mist the boat, I can sell it to you on ebay and have a holiday on you. :)

383082[/snapback]

Now remind me just how large this ship is? Oh yeah 4km's that pretty much makes 80% of the surface detail nearly invisible on most models under oh around 3 meters.

Seriously though even with the 'unfinished' look to it I find ALOT of the model simply and clearly rushed and lacks the 'polish' for a model of 200 bucks. For an easy comparasion take a look at honneamise's projects with thier scales and prices. It's a 'no contest' as to which is of better quality and of which could rate the price of 200 bucks. <_<

Costs to much for too little quality.

Am I the only one bothered by the rather irregular 'rectangular' vents along the side? Whatever those things are. Battlepod hanger exits?

384980[/snapback]

Me too, I already pointed out that the whole thing looked a bit too "handmade" for me - those openings are just one of several issues.

But it´s funny - the more I look at the kit and think about the original the more I like it. I mean, all those Zentradi Ships are meant to look something between used, beaten up and organic (they started up with "used" in the TV series, the "organic" features were more of a DYRL thing).

I imagine how it would look like with all surfaces smooth and perfectly symmetrical - don´t know if I´d find that more convincing. Difficult to judge. If I had too much money I´d buy one to find out....

Am I the only one bothered by the rather irregular 'rectangular' vents along the side? Whatever those things are. Battlepod hanger exits?

384980[/snapback]

Me too, I already pointed out that the whole thing looked a bit too "handmade" for me - those openings are just one of several issues.

But it´s funny - the more I look at the kit and think about the original the more I like it. I mean, all those Zentradi Ships are meant to look something between used, beaten up and organic (they started up with "used" in the TV series, the "organic" features were more of a DYRL thing).

I imagine how it would look like with all surfaces smooth and perfectly symmetrical - don´t know if I´d find that more convincing. Difficult to judge. If I had too much money I´d buy one to find out....

385035[/snapback]

Was kinda thinking the same thing Thorsten, I mean that thing is supposed to be like 5 miles long. At that scale how sharp and crisp would it be? Of course I've seen a small model of a super star destroy that was like a foot long and that thing sure looked crisp.

LOL!

Not a flippin' chance at 321 bucks.  :lol:

383665[/snapback]

Seams like there was more than a flippin chance.

385256[/snapback]

Whoa, that was sold at pretty good price!

You guys have to remember that is an original creation of the artist, and finished by himself. So imo it has value. And it's not like it would be a bad model, just too rough for my taste. As we've seen, it divides opinions, neither one is the only truth, just a matter of personal taste.

Edited by Sdf-1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got home after going to see Wayne of Scale Solutions. For anyone that hasn't heard of his business head here to find out more:

http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~ddwwp/

Firstly I have to say that I am making a comment only because I feel this project deserves support. I don't own one of these kits, but I will pick one up when I can.

First off the Zentreadi Nupetiet-Vergnitzs - The castings are amazing, I could not find one bubble, inside or out on the entire kit. Wayne showed me a part he labeled as a dud and I honestly could not find a flaw, in the end he had to show me small defect that I would not have even guessed was not part of the kit.

It turns out that Wayne is did an apprenticeship in mold making and it shows, his molds look bullet proof, and the casting are identical to the pattern, really good stuff. I have bought a few resin garage kits from MW lately, but Wayne's castings blow them away. The resin he uses has an interesting matt quality about it that means that paint sticks to it like poo to a blanket, no peeling off that puppy.

The kits will come with JBot decals that are crisply printed, vibrant and in perfect register, the set I saw were a slightly oversize test shot and look fantastic. There is a whole swath of text that I had never noticed on the ship before, and each character is printed nicely.

Parts are shipped in sturdy cardboard boxes with foam inserts to ensure that the kit parts don't move around in transit, which means you get a kit that lacks dings and nicks from the parts rubbing or smacking into each other.

Wayne is a nice guy so I got right to the point about some of the concerns raised here, such as the vents/pod bays and the overall "organic" look of the kit. Essentially it came down to his interpretation of what the kit should be. He is a long time fan of Macross (he owns quite a few Hasegawa VF-1's) and always wanted one of these ships, ever since he was a kid watching Robotech on Australian TV in the 80’s. All of the reference work I saw all show the vents/bays slightly askew, so that is how he made them, not because he can’t do it straight, but just because he thought they should be. But if you really don’t like it that way it would be very easy to fill in and re scribe them. The surface of the ship is covered with tiny little scratches and dings that really make the ship look worn and old. In some panels the edges look like chipped paint, it really is quite extraordinary. Considering these ships were rarely maintained after they were punched out of the ship yards I think the details fit nicely. As for the north south split, I can tell you that it'sthe best way, and east west split would be murder to try and fill and sand. Someone mentoned that it looked "rough" or "unfinished" I can tell you that in person it looked very cool, and pretty nicely finished to me.

Regarding the price: The cost of resin here in Australia is quite high, and this results in a higher than average cost for the kit. There are people right now willing to lay down US $500 to get a pre production version, and considering the regular AUD$245 price tag includes international shipping I don’t think it is too bad. This is one honkin’ big piece of resin, and it will take the sale of at least 20 kits for him to break even on it. I think maybe there are a few people here spoiled on price since a lot of kits sold here are recasts.

Finally Wayne mentioned that if there was enough interest for the Zen-Nup-Ver then he will consider making the other ships in scale. Obviously they would be somewhat cheaper than the big boy.

Any way that is my take on this great kit, if you were sitting on the fence I would say go for it if you can, you won’t regret it.

Cheers,

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

That's meaningless given how that it's YOUR opinion against everyone elses opinion. As for the expense of resin, well that's his F-up for not going with a cheaper material. But lets face it that the model only costs that much because it's business and he's got an audience for it.

I look at it this way...

My friend and I collect a lot of stuff. Price tag is of no concern, as we know that once this stuff is gone, IT'S GONE.

I've dropped more cash for a kit. So has my friend. NEITHER of us plan on dropping money on this. It just looks...

...unfinished.

I'm not spending a couple hundie to finish someone else's project.

About the organic look thing... That is true that the ships are that way, but it also is because of the way the anime was drawn. Take a look at Dyrl, even the Vf display messages etc are very liberately drawn. There isn't pretty much a single straight line, and that was the improved looking version of Macross. I think the organic look is overdone with that ship, making it look too amateur-like & rough. If it was more defined I would've bought it for sure. If the Valks were modeled just the way they look in the anime... :rolleyes:

I like it...a lot, but I can't afford it. As for the organic look. I think it is spot on. I mean, look at the SDF-1 in DYRL. It is much more organic looking in DYRL than in the TV series.That represents the alien technology. The Zent ships are huge, incredibly old badly used and abused and ALIEN. They are supposed to look like nothing else we've seen before. Of course it is one person's opinion vs another's, so no one is really right or wrong. The final decision is yours whether you buy or not. It is very simple, if you make something you can charge whatever you want for it. That is what Wayne is doing. Obviously some people are buying it.

small rant over :p

That's meaningless given how that it's YOUR opinion against everyone elses opinion. As for the expense of resin, well that's his F-up for not going with a cheaper material. But lets face it that the model only costs that much because it's business and he's got an audience for it.

Chrono you are a dickhead.

All I did was offer the opinion of someone who has held the kit, and address some questions that people on this board have. My statements above are correct regarding resin pricing, you don't live in Australia, you aren't a resin kit maker, you don't know. You want a cheaper kit? Then go grab a half arse illegal recast of the kit in ten years time full of bubbles and crap resin. As for right now you'll have no worries building the kit as is from Scale Solutions.

If you want attack the kit sculpt then that would be fine, who could stop you as it is a subjective thing. Don't attack something you know nothing of.

Why is it the internet makes people think they can just shout off at anything. If you don't want it fine don't buy it but don't spew your crap here, you embarass yourself.

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

393097[/snapback]

What's your problem Chrono you got a reindeer shoved up your ass? :angry:

Edited by Grayson72