New Captain Scarlet

Graham

Just wondering if anybody besides me has seen the new CGI Captain Scarlet TV series that's been airing in UK? If yes, what do you think of it?

I just picked up the DVD box set of the first 13 episodes from amazon.co.uk and I'm absolutely in love with it. I was always a fan of the original show, but find this new version far superior.

It's been getting glowing reviews (see the amazon link above). IMO the CG is far superior to other CG shows like the Roughnecks Starship Troopers show for example.

It maintains the dark tone of the original show and for what is basically a show aimed at children has a surprizing amount of death and violence, just like the original show.

The new vehicle designs are great as well IMO, especially the Rhino (an updated SPV) and the Angel Falcon Interceptors. There are some fantastic flying scenes as well, especially during the airshow in the episode 'Circles of Doom'.

Apparently it cost one million pounds per episode to produce and it shows.

Graham

I've only had a chance to see a couple of episodes but liked what I saw. Only nitpicks I would have would be the voices and the theme music simply doesn't have the same appeal as the original Barry Gray theme.

Unfortunately, in the UK the show was broadcast in the middle of a childrens entertainment show and may have been edited for content. However, those of you with multi-region DVD players should be able to order the UK DVD sets now.

Graham is right, though - the flying sequences are superb.

Captain Scar-let - dun-dun-dun-da-DUN!

(its alledged by the way, that Thunderbirds is next for the same treatment - the rights reverted back to "Mr. Anderson" recently... )

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I wanted to watch it, I really did but it was on at a time of day that just doesn't exist in my world. :p

If there's dvd's out then I shall take a look pronto, thanks for the tip guys.

Thunderbirds is next! and it's back in Gerrys hands!!, even I might get out of bed for that one. :D

Edited by Fort Max

Yep, the eps shown on early morning UK TV were edited for content,

Get the DVD set of the first 13 eps, it's uncut and can be ordered from amazon.co.uk

For a kids show, there's a surprising amount of death, with people getting shot, falling off cliffs, getting crushed in one of the compactors that crushes cars etc.

Graham

Yep, the eps shown on early morning UK TV were edited for content

348736[/snapback]

Now I'm starting to get interested ... :mellow:

348815[/snapback]

I don't know specifically what may have been edited, but Captain Scarlet was always fairly dark for a series "aimed at children" (who as we all know are liable to run screaming at the very thought of - gasp! - DEATH!). Its possible also that advert breaks were partly to blame. There is also what can only be described as a degree of fan-service... [1]

Agent One, Gerry Anderson does not do low-budget. Ask Lew Grade (well, if he was still alive). Static shots really don't do the series justice.

[1] No! Not Captain Blue and Captain Scarlet! :p

Edited by F-ZeroOne

• 1 year later...

Just bought the dvds to this show. I've always been a fan of the original Captain Scarlet, never did like any of the other shows by Gerry Anderson. I've watch the fist two episodes, so far its a good show to watch even if your a grown up. The only problem I have with the show is that the characters have lost their charm with the different voice acting, Scarlet has an American accent and destiny has lost her French one. The vehicles are great but they are named after animals, which doesn't sound right.

I don't know what accent it is that the new scarlet has, it sounds American to me, but it doesn't sound English. Now the new captain Black's accent is English without the mysteron voice.

It's showing here on local TV in the morning, seen a few before going to work, quite enjoyed it. If anyone needs help in sourcing them, can pick and post them up from local shops for ya. pm me.

looks like series 2 is out and there is a complete box 1& 2 set avail...

cheers

Ok, I've watched the first thirteen episodes, I have to say the show has grown on me, once I got use to the changes in the characters and vehicles. Captain Blue is Bad Ass, Captain Black has a lot more to say than the original and colonel white has actually got legs instead of sitting behind a desk most of the time. Overall character development and relationships are much more fleshed out than the original.

I don't know how popular this show is, but you should give the DVDs a chance. I don't ever remember seeing any promotional material for this show and I never knew it was already shown on UK TV which is strange. Given the shows big budget there should have been a lot of promotion on TV. Its a real shame they didn't, I reckon it would have been very popular if it was handled better, like showing it at 6pm or something so families can watch it together. I remember watching the old Scarlet on BBC 2 at 6pm in the early 1990s.

I don't know what accent it is that the new scarlet has, it sounds American to me, but it doesn't sound English. Now the new captain Black's accent is English without the mysteron voice.

Captain Scarlet is voiced by Wayne Forester, a versatile British voice actor who has provided voices for many UK children's TV programs.

Graham

Captain Scarlet is voiced by Wayne Forester, a versatile British voice actor who has provided voices for many UK children's TV programs.

Graham

At some points the New Scarlet has a English accent, but most of the time it sounds different to me, its like a mix between the two. Then again a British actor can also play an American. I guest I'm too use to the old Scarlet. I also read somewhere that they deliberately gave some characters (not necessary Scarlet) American accents as an attempt to crack the US market. The red haired angel for example has an American accent, but the old one has a English one, I think they also changed the names about. I'm sure harmony was the Japanese angel in the old one, but in the new one shes the red headed angel. The Japanese Angel is now Symphony, who use to be a blond American in the old one bla bla bla........

• 4 weeks later...