Dying 1/48 Yamatos

DatterBoy

Wanted to consider dying John Moscato's 1D conversion kit as well as some pieces on a 1S or 1A 1/48 since I never liked the idea of painting since it scratches and thickens the overall toy.

Anyone know if this is possible? I recently bought a pressure cooker which I think may be able to infuse the pieces with Dye... is that feasible?

:Dat

I always thought you added dye to the resin while mixing it... not after it was dried.

ionic plating is a different story as that bonds... but I think you are SOL unless you get John to dye it for you while he casts it. I know jesse dyed his strike resin during casting and it came out nice. Beers did some color work as well that was beautiful... like all beers' stuff, again during casting. After it's cast though...

Datterboy,

You got my interest. How are you going to make the dyes permeate through the plastic and resin?

Resin is colored using pigments that are blended in prior to mixing the control substrate with the catalyst. I'm not sure how plastic is colored, but it could be a related process.

Wouldn't a pressure cooker create so much heat that it will actually melt or warp the parts?

I know on joecustoms RIT Dying customs has become a big thing, you might try this: http://www.joecustoms.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=25680 and see how it works with other toys. It would be an interesting experiment but I would try it first with a small part you don't see much and don't mind getting messed up.

Years ago when I still raced radio controlled cars we used to use a dye kit that Tamiya made to colour gears and other parts. They only did la few colours but you just dyed the parts in a pot or old bucket. Cant remember what it was called, it was about 10 years ago.

Years ago when I still raced radio controlled cars we used to use a dye kit that Tamiya made to colour gears and other parts. They only did la few colours but you just dyed the parts in a pot or old bucket. Cant remember what it was called, it was about 10 years ago.

343611[/snapback]

those were nylon, not ABS though

I am concerned about thye warping of my pieces. Not the ABS, but the molded pieces from John. Basically, looking for a way to get the colors on the pieces without caring about scratches due to handling/transformation or thickening the pieces when painting. I did a 1/60 once and it got really think when I put the paint and primer on. Transforming was a nightmare. I don't play with my toys like kids, but I want to know that if I am going to do mulitple transforms I won't have to worry about the paint.

WHy don't you experiment with dying the left over resin bits like the sprues the parts are attached to? That would give you a good idea of what the tolerances of the material are and what the dying results would be.