The Xbox 360 Thread!

Which reminds me... if you got the $400 model, get a memory card, and back up your saves before you send your 360 to MS!  Or if you got the $300, remind to pop the HDD off before you put your 360 in the box.  When my coworker got his back, we could tell it was a brand new one by the factory mint HD.

Hmm...question. Will I be returning the entire unit, cables and all? Or just the console and it's brick? I broke my faceplate accidentally weeks ago, and had it replaced. Instructions? Composite video cable? I think I.....hee hee.....tossed all of that stuff...

Which reminds me... if you got the $400 model, get a memory card, and back up your saves before you send your 360 to MS!  Or if you got the $300, remind to pop the HDD off before you put your 360 in the box.  When my coworker got his back, we could tell it was a brand new one by the factory mint HD.

Hmm...question. Will I be returning the entire unit, cables and all? Or just the console and it's brick? I broke my faceplate accidentally weeks ago, and had it replaced. Instructions? Composite video cable? I think I.....hee hee.....tossed all of that stuff...

358857[/snapback]

Don't send everything..just what they need to replace/fix.

>_> I'm almost done with Need for speed though ^_^ I'm going against razor but the third race which is a circuit race is very difficult, so much traffic in this stage and he'll easily get 1,000+ feet ahead of me after the second lap.  One point he was over 6 miles ahead of me, no way I was gonna catch up, had to restart the stage..........really sucked.

358787[/snapback]

I think the only way to beat some of the opponents is to wait for the AI to make its own racer screw up and crash, or otherwise mess up on the course. I can think of several heats I've won because I saw the AI car hit another one and lose precious ground...

I don't know how or why, but my 360's up again. At the moment, I'm practicing the counter-system in DOA4, as I can tell that's an integral part of the game...

I was all freaked out today... my 360 seemed to be taking a long time to boot, and when it finally did, a red light came on in the bottom right quadrant of the ring of light, and I got a freaky error message in a dozen or so languages. But I took the Xbox game out (it was Xbox 1, Megaman Anniversary Collection), unplugged the USB keyboard, took out the memory card, shut it off, and turned it back on, and it was fine.

I wonder if peripherals and or software are responsible for any system failures. As for now, my unit is functioning as if nothing had happened. Unless I get another system failure I'll begin considering whether I should even send it in. Also, is it too late to purchase the extended warranty at this point? I don't see anything in the voucher that says otherwise...

-Mike, if your system were to fail wouldn't you be able to take care of yourself in the confines of your own store?

In regards to DOA, I'm trying to do Kokoro's exercise and I'm stuck on "PPP To foe behind." What the frak does "to foe behind," mean?

Edited by myk

I might be too late, I can't say....I bought a 1 year contract warrenty so I'm good....

I now have N4SpdMW on my complete list. It was a true pain in the ass to complete near the end. I had a strong feeling once I got to the last few members of the Black List I'd have to do more than 2 races. But you gotta do 5 races against Razor THEN you gotta escape Cross and every single other police officer in the city. Took me a good hour to complete with the Razor race, and Razor on race 4 was a true pain the take out.....I was ahead of him at one point then suddenly wham he's 2,000+ feet ahead of me! Couldn't keep up so I tried again and just stayed on his tail, saw what he did and I beat him.

-Mike, if your system were to fail wouldn't you be able to take care of yourself in the confines of your own store?

Not until we actually have some 360's in stock. One of my employees, like I mentioned, had trouble with his, so he sent his back and got a new one from Microsoft.

In regards to DOA, I'm trying to do Kokoro's exercise and I'm stuck on "PPP To foe behind." What the frak does "to foe behind," mean?

I haven't done Kokoro's excersizes (although I completed Kasumi, Ayane, Hitomi, and Spartan's), so I can't say for sure. It should mean one of two things. One is that it's a move you have to do when your opponent is facing away from you. If that's the case, the AI should turn around for you. Or, if Kokoro is a little like Ayane, it could mean that Kokoro should have her back to the opponent. If that's the case, you need to find one of Kokoro's moves that turn her around (up + punch works for Ayane), then perform the move that you're instructed.

Talking about DOA4...

DOA4 Save Glitch?

I haven't played it since last week, so I don't know if I got the glitch yet or not.  Anyone else having troubles?

359402[/snapback]

I haven't yet, but I'm thinking about periodically backing my save up to a memory card.

Which brings up a question: now that the hard drives are starting to actually be in stock, is it worth getting? I'm pretty sure that bigger, faster hard drives aren't too far off in the horizon, so should we Core owners wait for those? Aren't there problems with the current hard drives?

Also, now that my unit is working again, I'm not sure if I should sent it back, or not.

Jesus...Any of you boys trying to work through the exercise sets for the characters? I've gone through most of the girls-Hitomi made it look too easy, but it started to get that much harder with Lei Fang, Koroto-whatever her name is, Kasumi and so forth. But TINA. Man, those insane multi-combo-throw-moves of her wrestling repertoire are just ridiculous. I got through her set with blind luck, I'm sure. I'll wager that I spent a few hours on her at least...

-On a positive note, you get to really see how powerful and unique each character is throughout their 90+ moves.

Which brings up a question: now that the hard drives are starting to actually be in stock, is it worth getting?  I'm pretty sure that bigger, faster hard drives aren't too far off in the horizon, so should we Core owners wait for those?  Aren't there problems with the current hard drives? 

Also, now that my unit is working again, I'm not sure if I should sent it back, or not.

359582[/snapback]

The Demo for Fight night is almost worth getting both the HD and Xbox Live.

Sent my '360 out to the repair center this afternoon, the irony being that the unit performed flawlessly this past week; I figured I was on borrowed time anyway. It's supposed to go out to some place in Texas, but UPS tracking has it somewhere in Kentucky? In the rush to get this thing out I didn't include any receipts of purchase and the like, and it's not as if anyone instructed me to do so; I hope this doesn't complicate matters...

How's everyone else doing with their units?

Edited by myk

My unit's as good as ever.

Or did you mean XBox 360 unit?  :unsure:

361781[/snapback]

Ha! :p

With the issue of system failures for some people, it just occurred to me that maybe the removeable hard drive wasn't such a bad idea after all. If my system one day fails after my extended two year warranty runs out, I can easily pop the hard drive off, buy a core system, and clip on the old drive. That couldn't be done with the original Xbox.

Right now these days I've been mainly focusing on playing COD2 and Halo 2 online and working my way through COD2 on Veteran difficulty... talk about a serious spanking! :p

Or did you mean XBox 360 unit?  :unsure:

361781[/snapback]

Ha! :p

With the issue of system failures for some people, it just occurred to me that maybe the removeable hard drive wasn't such a bad idea after all. If my system one day fails after my extended two year warranty runs out, I can easily pop the hard drive off, buy a core system, and clip on the old drive. That couldn't be done with the original Xbox.

You COULD just open teh original XBox and swap hard drives.

Admittedly not as easy as a clip-on expansion, but they were a hundred bucks cheaper, too.

361781[/snapback]

Hmm? Oh, well that's great! Just to be sure though, I'm sending Elin over to check your Hard Drive and RAM, just to make sure that your unit is performing up to everyone's expectations...

361781[/snapback]

Hmm? Oh, well that's great! Just to be sure though, I'm sending Elin over to check your Hard Drive and RAM, just to make sure that your unit is performing up to everyone's expectations...

361989[/snapback]

Okie-dokie. I'll go through the full set of diagnostics, just to assuage everyone's concerns.

This might be slightly OT, but I had a question that maybe another Xbox user can answer. Does anyone use a recent build of Xbox Media Center on their old Xbox? If so, does anyone know if XBMC can stream video from a channel from Winamp's Media Library? So there's a channel for Family Guy for example that I want to stream on XBMC, but for some reason, it will open the M3U playlist file but fail to play the video. Is this even supported on XBMC or does it only support streaming media from a local network source? I've tried researching the web but found nothing concrete on whether it will support it or not.

I can't believe our resident video game technology experts haven't posted anything for you, Seven. Put your question in the "Console versus thread" and I'll bet you'll get a response.

Anyway, based on my personal experience I have to applaud Microsoft's damage control efforts. I sent my suddenly defective console in for repairs on Tuesday, and received my replacement console this afternoon. I will now run my "24 hour burn test" and see if anything happens.

I have never streamed it from Winamp's Media Library, but I know for sure it streams from a local network source.

This might be slightly OT, but I had a question that maybe another Xbox user can answer.  Does anyone use a recent build of Xbox Media Center on their old Xbox?  If so, does anyone know if XBMC can stream video from a channel from Winamp's Media Library?  So there's a channel for Family Guy for example that I want to stream on XBMC, but for some reason, it will open the M3U playlist file but fail to play the video.  Is this even supported on XBMC or does it only support streaming media from a local network source?  I've tried researching the web but found nothing concrete on whether it will support it or not.

362139[/snapback]

I can't believe our resident video game technology experts haven't posted anything for you, Seven.

Sorry to dissapoint you, guys, but for some stubborn reason, I adamantly refuse to chance Windows to Service Pack 2, and my edition is Home. So, my computer isn't compatible with XBMC (or Xbox 360, for that matter... no more streaming media for me, unless the "future proofing" Peter Moore was talking about includes streaming from Vista PCs).

LOL...I thought that I was the only one who has been hiding in the caves like 'Bin Laden, from Service pack 2.

LOL...I thought that I was the only one who has been hiding in the caves like 'Bin Laden, from Service pack 2.

362672[/snapback]

Well, even though I'm kinda psyched for Vista, in general I'm rather against dumbing down (although, from most of the people I talk to about computer stuff, I can see why Microsoft would think it necessary). Whatever security fixes they implemented me don't concern me too much, since I know how to keep my system clean. There was always that mysterious chance that something might not work right afterward. And I surely don't want my computer telling me what to do and how to do it. With all that in mind, I decided not to downgrade.

I just knew that "coming out of the cave" was bad, and to stay away from SP2. Why exactly was SP2 labeled as more harm than help?

I too don't have Service Pack 2. Still had to ignore it about 500 times until the download center stopped bugging me with that stupid pop-up... (For SP2, the "don't tell me about this again" button does NOT work) Don't know what finally caused it to stop.

Edited by David Hingtgen

No SP2 for my custom machine...

As for my replacement '360, it's been on for about 29 hours or so, and there have been no issues so far. This unit was manufactured on 12/5/2005, and I agree with other replacement-issued users that the newer units run quiter, and cooler...I think my dashboard is different also...

Well, you know how people complain about PC's being too loud? I left my '360 powered on and had gone somewhere for the evening. When I returned, as soon as I opened the door and stepped in, I heard the tell-tale hum/whine of a computer and thought, "damn, I left my computer on," when in fact it was my '360. They're not AS loud as a non-silenced computer (I yell 'Clear for takeoff!!!' when I turn on mine), but it's definitely louder than any other system that I've ever had, certainly louder than a PS2...

Well, you know how people complain about PC's being too loud?  I left my '360 powered on and had gone somewhere for the evening.  When I returned, as soon as I opened the door and stepped in, I heard the tell-tale hum/whine of a computer and thought, "damn, I left my computer on," when in fact it was my '360.  They're not AS loud as a non-silenced computer (I yell 'Clear for takeoff!!!' when I turn on mine), but it's definitely louder than any other system that I've ever had, certainly louder than a PS2...

363121[/snapback]

Electronics are like cars. The louder, the better.

I can. My video card makes a disruptive amount of noise, and it gets even worse when I start a game.

Should replace the heatsink with an aftermarket one, but it seems a shame to spend cash on a card that's 2 generations out of date when I could put it towards something else.

Edit: severe typo

Edited by JB0