Donnie Darko

Oihan

Okay, in order to prevent the tangent universe from coming true and to save the ones he cares about, Donnie has to die. So he sacrifices himself and the jet engine crashes on him. My housemates are wondering if the jet crashes in the end. So we're looking at that point in time where the engine crashes and the two universes co-exist. I believe the jet engine from the tangent universe materialized in the "real" universe at that time, and as Donnie dies the Tangent universe ceases to exist. Once the tangent universe ceases to exist, the plane ends up not crashing for Donnie sacrificed himself. Despite it not crashing, the engine still appears for it the two universes co-existed at that one point in time. Anyone share the same views? Different views?

Edit: My housemates believe that the author possibly gave the answer in a review. But I believe if he intended for us to know then he would have told us flat out. I also believe they're idiots for I'm explaining as clearly as I can my point of view on all of this and they are too stuborn to see where I'm coming from.

Edited by Oihan

I haven't watched that in a couple years, but I don't think it was so much the plane crashing & the engine dropping that was the issue, as it was his mother & sibling being on the plane when it crashed (again, haven't seen it in a while, so I don't recall if that was as much of the issue).

I also thought it had more to do with an alternate future so much as an alternate universe. In the future, the plane crashed, engine somehow dropped back in time & killed him, mother survives. In his alternateion, plane crashes, but due to his survival, his mother winds up on the plane & dies. In both cases, the jet engine spontaniously drops back in time.

I really do need to watch this again, because I'll be damned if I can remember.

Edit: My housemates believe that the author possibly gave the answer in a review.  But I believe if he intended for us to know then he would have told us flat out.  I also believe they're idiots for I'm explaining as clearly as I can my point of view on all of this and they are too stuborn to see where I'm coming from.

337177[/snapback]

The director was the one who actually gave a very clear explanation at a Donnie Darko Convention. It was really quite simple, there needs to be none as it is only a movie. ;)

**If you ever get a chance watch the directors cut.

Okay, in order to prevent the tangent universe from coming true and to save the ones he cares about, Donnie has to die.  So he sacrifices himself and the jet engine crashes on him.  My housemates are wondering if the jet crashes in the end.  So we're looking at that point in time where the engine crashes and the two universes co-exist.  I believe the jet engine from the tangent universe materialized in the "real" universe at that time, and as Donnie dies the Tangent universe ceases to exist.  Once the tangent universe ceases to exist, the plane ends up not crashing for Donnie sacrificed himself.  Despite it not crashing, the engine still appears for it the two universes co-existed at that one point in time.  Anyone share the same views?  Different views?

Edit: My housemates believe that the author possibly gave the answer in a review.  But I believe if he intended for us to know then he would have told us flat out.  I also believe they're idiots for I'm explaining as clearly as I can my point of view on all of this and they are too stuborn to see where I'm coming from.

337177[/snapback]

You're totally right. The one thing to keep in mind is that it's not a "tangent" universe. It was THE future. The girlfriend was going to die, apparently. That was the only constant. Donnie, being able to travel in time through his insanity, changed piece after piece, like bursting the pipe in the school, burning down Patrick Swayze's house- he used the rabbit as the conduit to communicate with himself to do these things.

In the end, the airplane that contained his mom and sibling only contained them because he burnt swayze's house down and his mom had to fill in for that annoying zealot housewife who wanted to stay to support swayze in his time of need. The fact that they were even on the plane was a construct of his changes in the time line. Therefore, it could be used as a tool to eradicate the timeline. His mom called and told him the time of the flight so donnie knew exactly when it was to pass over his house (or he could delineate it). He was able to cause the final change (but this time not from the future- from the present back to the past.) It might be argued that this was the reason he burnt down swayze's house- so he could create an event with the airplane which he could use as a paradox later.

The engine fell off a plane from the future. And in the future, that plane never contained his mom and sibling because he wasn't around to burn down swayze's house and cause them to take the plane- so that plane must not even have crashed in the future. A paradox was created in donnie's room, killing him.

Everyone can feel the ripple of the paradox. The man in the rabbit suit can feel his eye hurt. The girlfriend passes the house of the boy she never met and feels that she's missing something.

Saddest movie ever.

Okay, in order to prevent the tangent universe from coming true and to save the ones he cares about, Donnie has to die.  So he sacrifices himself and the jet engine crashes on him.  My housemates are wondering if the jet crashes in the end.  So we're looking at that point in time where the engine crashes and the two universes co-exist.  I believe the jet engine from the tangent universe materialized in the "real" universe at that time, and as Donnie dies the Tangent universe ceases to exist.  Once the tangent universe ceases to exist, the plane ends up not crashing for Donnie sacrificed himself.  Despite it not crashing, the engine still appears for it the two universes co-existed at that one point in time.  Anyone share the same views?  Different views?

337177[/snapback]

From what I got out of Donnie Darko (which was very little), the film had less to do with parallel or tangent universes and more to do with time. Donnie Darko, to me, is a time travel story that focused specifically on the concept of a paradox, however it did so in a new and innovative way from any other time travel tale on film. Personally, I feel one can somewhat understand the film just thinking about time, even if the result is circular (the grandfather paradox for example).

Ultimately, the story of what occurs is really up to you...but rather than say "your own interpretation" I would say your own idea of what Donnie Darko is based on your understanding of the time paradox concept. People use "alternate" or "tangent" universes as explanations because people can understand that concept easier than a time paradox. Sounds silly to say that, but let's be realistic, this film is really bizarre :)

There are several good websites like the IMDB or stainlesssteelrat.net that discuss many of the plot points and elements of Donnie Darko in detail. I'd recommend reading those. I also hear the directors cut (in that funky new tin case) helps create a better picture of the story than the original release.

Edited by Mr March

The director was the one who actually gave a very clear explanation at a Donnie Darko Convention.  It was really quite simple, there needs to be none as it is only a movie. ;)

337633[/snapback]

best answer ever... wouylda been even better if William Shatner said it.

Good movie, good soundtrack too.

Bizarre really is the word I'd use to describe this film. I wasn't even sure what to think of it when I saw it the first time. Didn't dislike it, in fact there were a lot of parts I liked a lot but the whole time paradox really threw me at the time. I've been meaning to watch it again to try and get a better understanding of it, if that is possible.